Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: San Luis Obispo

Default Re: San Luis Obispo

no no no...bulls is garbage. full of hick rodeo boys tryin to be tough...go have fun at frog n peache or library for a small bar.

Boo-boo records.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil50 View Post
    no no no...bulls is garbage. full of hick rodeo boys tryin to be tough...go have fun at frog n peache or library for a small bar.
    That's why it's fun.

Add to the gum wall.

Venture out of town, Harmony is very cool and there's a place about a 45 minute drive through beautiful open fields called The Pozo Saloon.

watch out for chuck liddel.

pozo's cool out in santa margarita, just hot as balls about now. bubblegum alley is tradition, and boo boo's is my favorite place to go seeing there isn't any other indie record store around here.

no need to worry about chuck...he'll be too busy at the grad or downtown brew freakin lil 17 year old chicks...cool guy though.

pozo's cool out in santa margarita, just hot as balls about now. bubblegum alley is tradition, and boo boo's is my favorite place to go seeing there isn't any other indie record store around here.

no need to worry about chuck...he'll be too busy at the grad or downtown brew freakin lil 17 year old chicks...cool guy though.
    does he really freak the schoolgirls?

haha chuck looooooooooves to party and the lil groupie chicks from around here love him. so basically, ya he gets down. it's funny each time i talk to one of my buddies from slo, there's always a new friend of his that chuck's diddled.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoc&ndy View Post
    anyone from or live there?

My wife & I graduated from Cal Poly.
    I love the Central Coast. Part of me wishes I still lived there now.
    Although I think I would probably really miss the benefits of a big city nearby.

I used to see some good shows at the old DK's West Indies Bar (now Big Sky Cafe)-- Camper Van Beethoven, They Might Be Giants, Chris Isaak, to name a few.

SLO has a restaurant with one of the best names....MEE HENG LOW.

haha chuck looooooooooves to party and the lil groupie chicks from around here love him. so basically, ya he gets down. it's funny each time i talk to one of my buddies from slo, there's always a new friend of his that chuck's diddled.
    thats too funny man. i love it. fucking weirdo.

tell me about it...i still love the dude though since he makes himself so approachable. just always think it's crazy going into a bar and seeing the ex ufc champ standing there and I'M bigger than him, just a different perspective.

tell me about it...i still love the dude though since he makes himself so approachable. just always think it's crazy going into a bar and seeing the ex ufc champ standing there and I'M bigger than him, just a different perspective.
    I know Chuck graduated from Poly in 95.
    He still lives in SLO?

yep...haven't seen him out and about as i used to but he's still definitely there.

ive heard him interviewed a few times, always sounds like a decent enough/approachable guy. im not too surprised though that he's in to the youngins'. just makes me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Go to Gus' Grocery off of Leff Street, the natural spas near Avila Beach, and a great dive bar is Bulls downtown.

I used to enjoy Bulls, but during my most recent visits it was a bit too "rodeo" for me. It used to have great drink prices & a good juke box.

Is Mustang Tavern still there? They used to have 50 cent draft pitchers at happy hour on Friday's (showing my age).

I loved sitting outside at Gus'.
    Also liked the nearby Del Monte Cafe for breakfast & lunch.

And of course, the good 'ol Soak & Poke (Sycamore Mineral Springs) out towards Avila.

I gotta admit...I do still miss the pizza at Woodstocks after all these years!

I have only visited a couple times, but I do love the San Luis Obispo area.

Hearst Castle in San Simeon is totally whacked out, in a good way.

The Big Sky Cafe in SLO serves yummy food.

I found a gorgeous second edition Catcher In The Rye with in-tact dust jacket at Leon's Books in SLO for way cheap.

Paso Robles has the least pretentious wine tastings ever.

I am in love with the inn owners and their dog at Bridge Street Inn in Cambria, and it also happens to be a way cheap place to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Paso Robles has the least pretentious wine tastings ever.
    You are right about that...going wine tasting on the Central Coast blows Napa/Sonoma away!

I really like Tobin James Winery out on Highway 46.

I went to Cal Poly for my freshman year of college and eventually despised living there. It is a gorgeous, fresh and clean area, but I got so bored so quickly. Which might just be a testament to my imagination more than anything. I lived in one of the transfer dorms, which, while way bigger than most of the dorms and felt much more like an apartment complex than a dorm, the way it was set up isolated you from everyone except the eight people you shared a bathroom with. So I didn't meet many people that year. It seemed like the only two things to do in SLO are either to get fucking WASTED and skanky every weekend, or join the campus crusade for Jesus or whatever it was called. I tried to go into town as much as I could, but only so many good rock shows came through SLO Brew. I loved Cheap Thrills until it shut down. Boo Boos ended up being my savior. Firestones was delicious but I never had enough money to go there. I got so bored and depressed and lonely living there for one year that I quickly moved back to LA as soon as the school year finished. I don't have good lasting memories of San Luis Obispo.

Altho prior to my college years, my grandparents used to bring us up to the Apple Farm once a year as little kids and we'd play with our American Girl dolls in the stream behind the hotel and get fresh made ice cream at the mill. I LOVED Apple Farm as a kid. It lost its charm after living next to it for a year.

San Luis is a great place to visit for a weekend, but hell to live in if you're used to a big city with options.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Cheap Thrills is still there

I live in AG. The scenery, food & wine are great, but it is a boring area to reside in.

I met Chuck at a show in SLO Brew, he's a really nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    I went to Cal Poly for my freshman year of college and eventually despised living there. It is a gorgeous, fresh and clean area, but I got so bored so quickly. Which might just be a testament to my imagination more than anything. I lived in one of the transfer dorms, which, while way bigger than most of the dorms and felt much more like an apartment complex than a dorm, the way it was set up isolated you from everyone except the eight people you shared a bathroom with. So I didn't meet many people that year. It seemed like the only two things to do in SLO are either to get fucking WASTED and skanky every weekend, or join the campus crusade for Jesus or whatever it was called. I tried to go into town as much as I could, but only so many good rock shows came through SLO Brew. I loved Cheap Thrills until it shut down. Boo Boos ended up being my savior. Firestones was delicious but I never had enough money to go there. I got so bored and depressed and lonely living there for one year that I quickly moved back to LA as soon as the school year finished. I don't have good lasting memories of San Luis Obispo.

Altho prior to my college years, my grandparents used to bring us up to the Apple Farm once a year as little kids and we'd play with our American Girl dolls in the stream behind the hotel and get fresh made ice cream at the mill. I LOVED Apple Farm as a kid. It lost its charm after living next to it for a year.

San Luis is a great place to visit for a weekend, but hell to live in if you're used to a big city with options.
    It is remote & not for everyone.
    Although I loved going to college there and get nostalgic for the area at times. I think I would go nuts living there now--without my major sports & music at my fingertips.
    During my college days, it was a BIG step up from my hometown of Bakersfield .

Where did you end up going to college after Poly?
    Last edited by bakersfield; 07-08-2008 at 07:43 PM.

I came home and went to Santa Monica College which I loved. I think the big "college years" thing isn't for me. I loved SMC cause I could just roll up, go to class, and leave and get on with my life outside school.

Cal Poly was a huge change for me. I grew up in LA so I'm a big city girl, but I went to a teeny tiny private school here. Then I moved to St. Louis for high school so I lived in a smaller, slower city but still did the tiny private school thing. And then I moved to SLO and for the first time went to a giant public school. Not that Cal Poly is huge relatively speaking, but it was huge for me. I know that was part of the problem, too. Not knowing anyone. I only went there because my sister went there at the time too. So I had no motivation for being there, I hated most of my classes, I totally fucked up my college career, and I know that had to have rubbed off on my overall view of SLO.

Did Cheap Thrills shut down for a while? Or move? Cause I remember about halfway through my year there (2002-2003 school year) the big ass store closed and I was shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Does anybody remember the club that was a converted radio station on the hill? You could take a party bus to the top.

Yes.... I think I do. Was it open during the early 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    Did Cheap Thrills shut down for a while? Or move? Cause I remember about halfway through my year there (2002-2003 school year) the big ass store closed and I was shocked.
    I believe it did go away for a year or less, then they moved to Higuera with Captain Nemo's. Still prefer it over Boo Boos

Quote Originally Posted by matildawong View Post
    Yes.... I think I do. Was it open during the early 90s?
    Yeah, I didn't have the privilege, but my husband took a seat on the party bus many a time. Sounds like fun. He can't remember what it was called. (You know, memory is the 2nd thing to go.)

Does anybody remember the club that was a converted radio station on the hill? You could take a party bus to the top.
    Yes...believe it or not, I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers play there in 1984

What the fuck was it called?

What the fuck was it called?
    At one point it was the Breakers...driving me crazy trying to remember what it was called back in the day.
    Last edited by bakersfield; 07-08-2008 at 10:46 PM.

Is this the place that had the hanging, purple cow?

That is a great picture!

Did you go to Poly?