Page 40 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 2287

Thread: The NHL Thread

Default Re: The NHL Thread

Jeff Carter with the hat trick. That being said out of all 3 LA teams in the playoffs, who would have thought the Kings would be the most exciting to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Smith is just not the same goaltender he was in round 1 and 2. He's taking bad penalties, playing dirty and diving to try and get calls. it's a shame that it has to come down to this kind of play for him since he's had such a wonderful season.

Brown better keep his head up in the next 2 (or more) games. He clearly has a target on his back.

I have a feeling Doan will get a game on reputation only and Henzel will get a game or two for the hit on Brown. The Hanzel hit on Brown was much worse than the Doan hit on Lewis since Lewis turned away at the last second, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them both get a game.
    Last edited by scenicworld; 05-15-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

This has quickly turned from feeling like the Cards' Super Bowl run to when the Dbacks ran into the Rockies in the 2007 NLCS.
    8/29-Classixx (Crescent Ballroom)
    9/19-Eric Prydz (The Pressroom)
    10/1-The Gaslight Anthem (Marquee Theatre)
    10/10-12-Austin City Limits Weekend 2
    10/24-Warpaint (The Pressrom)
    10/25-Arctic Monkeys (Comerica Theatre)
    10/30-Jimmy Eat World (Marquee Theatre)
    11/3-Yelle (Crescent Ballroom)
    11/10-The Black Keys (US Airways Center)
    11/12-Judas Priest (Jobing.com Arena)
    4/10-12-Coachella Weekend 1

Sorry Footstep (and Tom), but I wouldn't count them out just yet. Kings have been a little more human at home, so if they can win game 3 you're right back in it.
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

https://twitter.com/#!/RealKyper/sta...29239135535104

"Coyotes Hanzal faces #NHL discipline hearing later today. Doan major/ Morris kneeing penalty will not be questioned further."

I say he just gets 1 game since he doesn't have the reputation. I thought for sure Doan would get a game because of his history, but I think the right call was made. I'm a little shocked that Smith didn't get a second look on that slash on Brown, but I wouldn't have expected a suspension, maybe a fine. I didn't think Morris deserved a suspension either, 2 for the knee was fine.
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

You should have heard the Coyotes radio announcers complaining about the officiating last night. They thought the slash call on Smith was bullshit and the Langkow minor (when Doan got the major) also bullshit. They said to give an assist to the refs on the 5-on-3 goal. I have to say I don't know hockey well enough to know if they were legit calls or not, but the announcers were melting down the same way the team did.
    Seemed a little bush league to me.

I still have faith in Tippett but if he can't figure out a way to break the Kings' forechecking, they're done.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I'm surprised Doan isn't getting suspended. Hanzal getting a game would hurt even though he hasn't played well so far in this series. I know it's a big sports cliche, but the Coyotes really need to get back to taking it one game at a time. It seems like they are getting too caught up in the big picture of the WCF and the Kings' streak.

As a Kings fan I would have loved to see Doan get the suspension, as a hockey fan I'm happy he is not. I was surprised he was given the game misconduct in the first place, granted though the refs don't have the ability of instant replay/slow motion. I agree with the general census and think Hanzal will get 1 game.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    You should have heard the Coyotes radio announcers complaining about the officiating last night. They thought the slash call on Smith was bullshit and the Langkow minor (when Doan got the major) also bullshit. They said to give an assist to the refs on the 5-on-3 goal. I have to say I don't know hockey well enough to know if they were legit calls or not, but the announcers were melting down the same way the team did.
    Seemed a little bush league to me.

I still have faith in Tippett but if he can't figure out a way to break the Kings' forechecking, they're done.
    Tippet had the team playing really well in the first 10 minutes. I didn't have a good feeling about winning until the first goal. then it was downhill fast. definitely bush league at times.

as for the call on Langkow, I can see how many fans and radio announcers thought it was a bad call. the slash on Brown's stick was really high up and broke the stick causing brown to drop it and raise his hands. it really did look like Brown was goating the refs into making the call when I watched it live, but the replay clearly showed the slash breaking the stick.
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Footsteps86 View Post
    the Coyotes really need to get back to taking it one game at a time. It seems like they are getting too caught up in the big picture of the WCF and the Kings' streak.
    I think they're just frustrated that they have been so ineffective at controlling the puck. It seemed like half the offensive possessions last night were just dump and chase. The Kings just seem to have so much more team speed.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The coyotes can break the kings forecheck by bringing additional players into the defensive zone for support. Where they used to be able to get away with 1 or 2 passes and it was off to the races, they'll have play it a bit tighter and support each other as a team. If they can do that, they'll turn things around.
    I'm not an NHL head coach but I do play one on TV.

Or maybe they could just bench Yandle.

Hanzal gets a game.
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

I'm finding the Rangers/Devils hard to watch.

pretty much the only things i know about hockey is that it's played on ice with a bunch of white people slapping a puck into a netted goal. what causes me to do a double take is that the phoenix coyotes are in their conference finals while bordering on (from what i've gathered) insolvency. this makes no sense to me whatsoever. that is all
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You little cock sucker, menikmati. This is a fucking violation of compliance and you will fucking pay, you little pig.

nobody thought the dogs would've made it this far, this was supposed to be the LAST season for the phoenix coyotes. it wasn't until 3/4ths through the season that they started playing strong enough to scare the shit out of every team in the pacific. they'll be fine from here on out, the ex-CEO of the sharks/ss&e is heading up a group of buyers and he knows what he's doing. first thing you can expect is for ticket prices to go through the roof.
    Last edited by Grandma; 05-16-2012 at 10:03 PM.

yeah, going undefeated in February really turned some heads and allowed them to win a division title (first ever?). maybe it looks strange to see a team that was struggling with owners and identity in regards to where they will be after each of the last 3 seasons, but they are (were?) a well coached team that began to peak at just the right time.
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

Quote Originally Posted by caeden View Post
    the phoenix coyotes are in their conference finals while bordering on (from what i've gathered) insolvency. this makes no sense to me whatsoever. that is all
    This is not a new thing in the NHL though. The Penguins were bankrupt and nearly insolvent on two different occasions and sill managed to win a few Stanley Cups in between. Ottawa Senators were bankrupt (and missed payroll) in 2003 and were in the finals in 07. And I think the Kings were bankrupt in the 90s as well?

And hey, the Texas Rangers filed for bankruptcy in 2010 and played in the world series that same year.

And I think the Kings were bankrupt in the 90s as well?
    as a Kings fan, this is so painful. I loved Bruce McNall and everything, and he really built an exciting team while it lasted that was full of star power, but he made some very poor financial decisions which found him in prison. The Kings run to the finals was in 93 and then the Kings had to declare bankruptcy because of McNall in 96 or 97 shortly after the Ducks paid their fees to the Kings.

so the Kings didn't get to the finals while directly dealing with a bankruptcy, but bankruptcy came soon after.
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

This is not a new thing in the NHL though. The Penguins were bankrupt and nearly insolvent on two different occasions and sill managed to win a few Stanley Cups in between. Ottawa Senators were bankrupt (and missed payroll) in 2003 and were in the finals in 07. And I think the Kings were bankrupt in the 90s as well?

And hey, the Texas Rangers filed for bankruptcy in 2010 and played in the world series that same year.
    good god. how does the nhl continue to exist with this many teams when it seems their financial affairs are in such disarray?
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You little cock sucker, menikmati. This is a fucking violation of compliance and you will fucking pay, you little pig.

The stress from waiting on the standby page for Weekend 1 for 58 minutes coupled with the stress that will come with watching Game 3 may land me in the hospital at some point tonight.
    Last edited by Footsteps86; 05-17-2012 at 07:49 PM.

I hear ya, footsteps.
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

Go Kings!

...thought I'd contribute a little Boosty McBoosterizm for everyone here. Less than 3 hours to puck drop!
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Finally, been waiting all day for this game to start. PHX is going to come out strong again, we'll see if LA can continue to weather the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    Finally, been waiting all day for this game to start. PHX is going to come out strong again, we'll see if LA can continue to weather the storm.
    What storm?

Thats 3!

The kings fore checking has been on a whole different level. They were able to kill a minute before Smith could come off the ice for the extra attacker. I will say though that slashing at the end on Phoenix was a terrible call. Go Kings Go!

Starting to the see inevitability of the Kings hoisting the Cup this year. The Coyotes may win on Sunday just to save face, but the Kings are absolutely relentless right now. The way they've been chasing the puck and getting a stick on the puck is just incredible. It frustrates me as fan, so I can only imagine what kind of psychological effect that is having on Phoenix players. Relying on Smitty so much is finally starting to come back and bite the Coyotes. Hopefully the sale goes through and they can go out and get some firepower for the offense because they can't rely on Smitty this much next year if they expect to put themselves in position for another run at the Cup.

The stress from waiting on the standby page for Weekend 1 for 58 minutes coupled with the stress that will come with watching Game 3 may land me in the hospital at some point tonight.
    And I should never make a joke like this again. Just before the puck dropped, found out my dad underwent tests for a possible heart attack. Luckily, he works at the VA and he just happened to be casually chatting with the cardiologist when he started to have some pains and the cardiologist decided to start some tests as a precaution. Luckily, the initial test came back negative. He did have my mom tell me that he'll be sure not to die during the playoffs. Way to scare me, pops.

Starting to the see inevitability of the Kings hoisting the Cup this year. The Coyotes may win on Sunday just to save face, but the Kings are absolutely relentless right now. The way they've been chasing the puck and getting a stick on the puck is just incredible. It frustrates me as fan, so I can only imagine what kind of psychological effect that is having on Phoenix players. Relying on Smitty so much is finally starting to come back and bite the Coyotes. Hopefully the sale goes through and they can go out and get some firepower for the offense because they can't rely on Smitty this much next year if they expect to put themselves in position for another run at the Cup.

And I should never make a joke like this again. Just before the puck dropped, found out my dad underwent tests for a possible heart attack. Luckily, he works at the VA and he just happened to be casually chatting with the cardiologist when he started to have some pains and the cardiologist decided to start some tests as a precaution. Luckily, the initial test came back negative. He did have my mom tell me that he'll be sure not to die during the playoffs. Way to scare me, pops.
    Glad to hear your dad is ok, Footsteps.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Appreciate it, sonny. So are the workers at Staples just going to be living at the arena this weekend? That upcoming schedule is nuts. That Clippers start time on Sunday sure is taking a leap of faith that the Coyotes don't put up a fight and make it an overtime marathon. Either that or Clips fans will be finding purple and black streamers on their seats.