Page 38 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 2285

Thread: The NHL Thread

Default Re: The NHL Thread

You guys realize "Best LA" means the same as "Beat LA," right?
    7/27-Bleeding Through (Pub Rock)
    8/1-3-Lollapalooza
    8/1-Disclosure (Aragon Ballroom)
    8/2-Glen Hansard (Metro)
    8/12-Paul McCartney (US Airways Center)
    9/19-Eric Prydz (The Pressroom)
    10/1-The Gaslight Anthem (Marquee Theatre)
    10/10-12-Austin City Limits Weekend 2
    10/25-Arctic Monkeys (Comerica Theatre)
    10/30-Jimmy Eat World (Marquee Theatre)
    11/3-Yelle (Crescent Ballroom)
    11/10-The Black Keys (US Airways Center)
    11/12-Judas Priest (Jobing.com Arena)
    4/10-12-Coachella Weekend 1

I see multiple meanings in both. But that's just me. I know it's expecting a lot for you guys to be a bit more creative than, oh, the last 40 years or so of stale sports arena chants. But I guess neither team is used to getting this far, eh?

Now, getting back to the actual game. I think Phoenix has the better passing game. And offensively the Kings are no match for almost anyone, including the yotes. While we have steamrolled Vanc and the Blues, we have still struggled mightily on the Power Play in the playoffs, just like in the regular season. That is going to cost us at some point. Phoenix is offensively a better overall team than the Kings.

On the advantage side for the Kings, we have the best PK in the league. Statistically we were #3 in that area during the regular season last I checked. But in the playoffs we are simply the best at it. We have better goaltending than Phoenix. We have better team defense than Phoenix. And we have better individual players on roster than Phoenix on both sides of the puck.

Anyone disagree?
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Before the LA-Vancouver series anyone could have done a breakdown showing how the Canucks were superior. It didn't mean shit. What will happen on the ice is what matters. It's gonna come down to Quick v Smith. If you believe differently you've either not been paying attention or you're deluding yourself.

As a fan the somewhat disquieting thing is I cheered so hard for Quick in the 2010 Olympics it's gonna be weird to root for him to get his face caved in like a cheap pinata. Sacrifices.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

It's obviously going to come down to Smitty and Quick. I think the player who will play the biggest role, literally, in helping the Coyotes beat Quick is Martin Hanzal. He'll need to continue what he does best and that's driving his big body in front of the net and creating screens for Vrby and Wizard to get shots off. Marty creating havoc for Quick down in front will probably be the best shot the Coyotes have at solving Quick.
    8/1-3-Lollapalooza
    8/2-Glen Hansard (Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    I see multiple meanings in both. But that's just me. I know it's expecting a lot for you guys to be a bit more creative than, oh, the last 40 years or so of stale sports arena chants. But I guess neither team is used to getting this far, eh?

Now, getting back to the actual game. I think Phoenix has the better passing game. And offensively the Kings are no match for almost anyone, including the yotes. While we have steamrolled Vanc and the Blues, we have still struggled mightily on the Power Play in the playoffs, just like in the regular season. That is going to cost us at some point. Phoenix is offensively a better overall team than the Kings.

On the advantage side for the Kings, we have the best PK in the league. Statistically we were #3 in that area during the regular season last I checked. But in the playoffs we are simply the best at it. We have better goaltending than Phoenix. We have better team defense than Phoenix. And we have better individual players on roster than Phoenix on both sides of the puck.

Anyone disagree?
    I think, this time of year, it really comes down to key plays. Who wins that key face off? Who makes that key first pass out of the zone? Which team will seize the mistakes made by the other team and then make them pay for it more often than their opponent? You can talk and talk and talk about Quick vs Smith or PK stats or whatever little things you think gives your team some kind of advantage. But, like Tom said, it's what happens on the ice that matters. From the games that I saw from both teams, it seemed to me that the Coyotes really excelled in "being at the right place at the right time" (capitalizing on opponent mistakes and negating opponent opportunities) while the Kings had the upper hand in what you might call "willpower" (players making strong individual efforts to create scoring opportunities or even just taking a hit to make sure the puck is cleared out of the defensive zone). Both intangible factors have lots of similarities but they're also different. I think that each team can claim their respective advantages on paper, but it's going to be the intangible factors that will give one team the edge and we won't know until it all plays out. Those moments in the game, they happen. And they are pretty easy to spot when it's happening. But, it's not until we see the results that we can look back and see who is doing the little things right more frequently than the other team. And that's the team that will win.

I expect every game to go to overtime. I expect the series to go to overtime in Game 7. And, I expect you all to be there.
    Last edited by Wheres the beef?; 05-11-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsteps86 View Post
    All you Kings fans make sure you bring some extra money for souvenirs...

I am hearing we're all getting one of these for free tomorrow at Game 1. Cool! I need a good rag to wipe the bike down.
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 05-12-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

It's FINALLY game day! I have no doubts that Sutter will get the team up for this game after the time off. GO KINGS GO!!!

last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

looking forward to the kings beating the shit out of the dogs tonight

in other news, while its an old rumor, it seems that brad stuart resigning with the Sharks after his contract is up with the red wings may actually come to fruition this summer
    Last edited by Grandma; 05-13-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    looking forward to the kings beating the shit out of the dogs tonight

in other news, while its an old rumor, it seems that brad stuart resigning with the Sharks after his contract is up with the red wings may actually come to fruition this summer
    I read the same thing. And he would even sign at a discount just to be closer to his family. Great news for us.

Yes!! go kings!!!

Careful Smitty, if you let the Kings get in your head, it's over. Ask Elliot.
    2012 2013 2014

Dammit! No Quick, No!!!
    2012 2013 2014

thats 1

way to go Kings!! glad the Cloutier goal didn't bother Quick. he's let in a few terrible goals throughout the season but always manages to bounce back, and that showed again tonight! huge saves in the third!!

Kings really dominated tonight. that first goal was a fluke and the second was just a great goal that Quick didn't have a chance on.
    2012 2013 2014

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    way to go Kings!! glad the Cloutier goal didn't bother Quick. he's let in a few terrible goals throughout the season but always manages to bounce back, and that showed again tonight! huge saves in the third!!

Kings really dominated tonight. that first goal was a fluke and the second was just a great goal that Quick didn't have a chance on.
    Well said

Coyotes didn't shoot enough from center ice...or at all really. What a horrible day. First I woke up at 6:30 a.m. only to watch the Premiership get snatched away from United and then I got to witness the worst Coyotes performance of this postseason in person.
    8/1-3-Lollapalooza
    8/2-Glen Hansard (Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by Footsteps86 View Post
    Coyotes didn't shoot enough from center ice...or at all really.
    lol. I can't believe Quick let that in. it wasn't even a bouncing puck, but I laughed every time the Coyotes tried to take a shot from outside the blueline.

sorry, I can't resist posting this pic:

2012 2013 2014

GOOOOOO KINGS! This could honestly be another short series.

You guys sound like Laker fans.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Quick came out of the net on that second goal and helped in creating the turnover. He may have had a chance on that goal if he stayed in position. Overall though the Kings were very dominant tonight. The two goals they gave up were pretty much on sloppy plays, but if they Coyotes have any chance to win this series they have to keep pushing the play like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    You guys sound like Laker fans.
    No shit. No knowledge just dumb boosterism.

Coyotes played horribly tonight, worst game of the playoffs, Quick did nothing special (and that's being kind.. Two goals allowed against that tepid offense tonight? Bah). Coyotes will find their energy in game 2.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

money well spent

GO SHARKS

you're damn right

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post

Coyotes played horribly tonight, worst game of the playoffs, Quick did nothing special (and that's being kind.. Two goals allowed against that tepid offense tonight? Bah). Coyotes will find their energy in game 2.
    For some reason teams keep playing terrible against the kings.

I'm looking forward to watching the Rangers/Devils series -- anyone know the over/under for the amount of blood to be spilled during this series? 2 1/2 pints? The Sharks will always be my favorite hockey team, but before they became a franchise my dad took me to an exhibition game between the Rangers and Blues at the Oakland Coliseum and ever since then I've always had an affinity for the Rangers. Tonight I might have to bust out my old Mark Messier sweater from '94.

The Kings fans in this thread haven't exhibited any dumb boosterism in this thread and have given the Coyotes their props the entire playoffs and even said how terrified we were about playing the Coyotes. I'm not sure what you mean by dumb boosterism and lack of knowledge unless you're just butt hurt that Kings fans got to celebrate last night and Coyotes fans didn't. Kings won, Kings fans are happy and Kings fans are going to share their happiness with other hockey fans. if Phoenix won last night we would have heard all the deserved "no one gives us credit and we'll show them like the other 2 rounds" talk.
    2012 2013 2014

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    For some reason teams keep playing terrible against the kings.
    Yeah, it has nothing to do with the Kings forcing the other team to make mistakes, and smothering them the entire length of the ice... It's always just the other team playing horribly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

The Kings fans in this thread haven't exhibited any dumb boosterism in this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    GOOOOOO KINGS! This could honestly be another short series.
    Dumb boosterism.

Dumb boosterism.
    that's a Ducks fan rooting for the Kings.
    2012 2013 2014

Ah. really? apologies then.