Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bands Who Can't Play Live?

Default Re: Bands Who Can't Play Live?

daft punk

^ oh no you didn't.
    coachella vet: 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09......
    http://mrgwillgo.blogspot.com/

^they dont play live... they play ALIVE....
    coachella vet: 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09......
    http://mrgwillgo.blogspot.com/

Ok I'm not sure how no one has mentioned this by now: Modest Mouse.

I've seen them 5 times ranging from Moon and Antarctica --> Good News --> We Were Dead, each time hoping things would be different but it never was. Isaac is always half-drunk, messing up his own lyrics and rushing through his songs. Also, their setlist choices as of late have been terrible.

MGMT.

I had to sit through these clowns 4 times during Of Montreal's last tour against my will and they were mind-numbingly boring. I don't care how good you think they are on record, the proof of any band's talent is their live show.

Bright Eyes.

Perhaps it is because I'm not a big fan to begin with, or maybe it is because I have only seen him in conjunction with The Faint (who are a great live), but I specifically remember at his 05 Coachella set where he introduced a song by saying, withering away in his emo hoodie, "This song inspires even me...the un-inspirable!" Oh Connor...you're so deep...

Airiel Pink

This band wins as the absolute worst band I have ever seen. I saw these guys open for Animal Collective for "Sung Tongs" in Chicago, and the keyboard player actually quit onstage...slamming down his chords and wires as the idiots with 3 mics and reverb stood there like pouting children. Horrible.

Silversun Pickups were dreadful in '07.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I swear to god. Harrison Ford better not be fucking dead.

Moving Units are a joke live.

XTC can't play live. This makes me sad.
    I love music, and I hate vowels.

Quote Originally Posted by FakePlasticMe View Post

MGMT.

I had to sit through these clowns 4 times during Of Montreal's last tour against my will and they were mind-numbingly boring. I don't care how good you think they are on record, the proof of any band's talent is their live show.

what? where did you see them? i saw the Pomona show and they blew me away. then grand buffet was stupid funny. and Of Montreal was fuckdiculously great. best venue concert for me ever.
    Mazxy star was nice and dreamy robightm crowd wouldn't follow no photo request. First time in the green room. Mmm free beer and wine.glad I got to see them Cruz I missed Coachella 3012

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    what? where did you see them? i saw the Pomona show and they blew me away. then grand buffet was stupid funny. and Of Montreal was fuckdiculously great. best venue concert for me ever.
    I saw them play Chicago at The Metro 2 nights in a row (same tour, Hissing Fauna with Grand Buffet), then in Athens for their Halloween show at 40 Watt (correction: I saw them 3 times, not 4). I was on rail for all 3 shows, with a large group of people who all thought they sucked balls live.

don't give in to the group! be an individual!
    ah, who the fuck am i kidding. let's just agree to disagree.

i digged the psych-pop dance music and thought the lighting was perfect and fitting. there was some sort of ambiance created that worked for me. i had a blast.
    Mazxy star was nice and dreamy robightm crowd wouldn't follow no photo request. First time in the green room. Mmm free beer and wine.glad I got to see them Cruz I missed Coachella 3012

don't give in to the group! be an individual!
    ah, who the fuck am i kidding. let's just agree to disagree.

i digged the psych-pop dance music and thought the lighting was perfect and fitting. there was some sort of ambiance created that worked for me. i had a blast.

I was being an individual. No peer pressure required to observe MGMT is a terrible live act.

Young blood

brian jonestown massacre.

Black Kids ... sloppy, no rhythm, bad singing... horrible.

Plaid ... boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer4Ever View Post
    Forgive the example: I had a passing interest in Coldplay for a while, mostly stemming from their Apple commercial (I am a huge Apple freak).

I looked them up on Youtube, looking for some live concert footage. Well, I found some. And it was boring. Sounded great, but the guys just...kinda...stood there. Or sat there.

This might not be fair of me, maybe they were just having an off day, but have you ever been disappointed by famous artists who turn out to be less-then-stellar live? Who?
    Forgive it because it's about Coldlplay? or the fact that you are judging a bands live show by the YouTube videos you can pull up, because this looks like a lively performance to me...

Young blood

coldplay and Madonna both suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    coldplay and Madonna both suck.
    so does Aphex Twin... they all suck.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Black Kids ... sloppy, no rhythm, bad singing... horrible.

Plaid ... boring.
    Black Kids were HORRID at coachella....for the 2 mins i watched them i felt like i was back in high school for some brutal band competition
    I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

The worst show i've ever attended was Bob Dylan in '05.
    I know bob doesn't have a singers voice that wasnt the problem. He didn't even walk onto the stage, he just strolled in and sat in the far left corner of the stage and sang out of time the whole show. The band was trying to match him, but it seemed that every time they got on rhythm he'd fall off again.
    His harmonica playing was atrocious and the songs came off sounding nothing like the originals (in a bad way). It was so bad that it took a full thirty seconds for my friend and I to realize he was singing Mr. Tambourine Man.
    I miss Bill Hicks.

that coldplay performance is good. i saw them at Kimmel the next day and they were good for maybe 5 out of 6 songs. the problem is their slow songs can drag. except i liked Fix You, as a closer it's solid (and it gets the chicks halfway to the sack).

Quote Originally Posted by All That I Am View Post
    His harmonica playing was atrocious and the songs came off sounding nothing like the originals (in a bad way). It was so bad that it took a full thirty seconds for my friend and I to realize he was singing Mr. Tambourine Man.
    it took me two minutes to realize he was playing All Along the Watchtower. however, his show was good. not the best old fuck to watch live, but still a decent show.

it took me two minutes to realize he was playing All Along the Watchtower. however, his show was good. not the best old fuck to watch live, but still a decent show.
    I agree. I saw him in 07 at ACL....knew it wasn't going to be mind-blowing due to his voice decay, age, etc...but it was much worse than I could imagine. He has some phobia about close-ups so my 300th row spot was worsened by the fact that the screens were showing him 20 rows back. I wasn't able to recognize his well-known songs either.

That said, he is Bob Dylan, he is very old and has certainly played the hell out of his gigs in the past. We can't expect him to be the spring chicken he once was. These younger acts are a different story.

And please, for the poster above, do not compare Madonna and Aphex Twin! The two shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

I realize I'm probably being unfair about Coldplay. I don't really like their stuff anyway, I think they're overproduced and I'm not really a fan of the John Ondrasik style of high-pitched whiny vocals.

It inspired this thread though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob
    You shouldn't go around kicking trees when you're in the middle of the forest, because if you miss the forest, you're screwed, because it's a...really awesome forest.

i was left umimpressed by The Walkmen

great band, just a dull show

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer4Ever View Post
    I realize I'm probably being unfair about Coldplay. I don't really like their stuff anyway, I think they're overproduced and I'm not really a fan of the John Ondrasik style of high-pitched whiny vocals.

It inspired this thread though.
    Yeah, I'm not sure why there is so much Coldplay love on this forum either. I was a fan when I was 20, and I still think "Rush of Blood" was a decent album, but they have become mega superstars to Bono proportions and it shows. You can be massively successful and not come across as a twat. Every live performance I've seen (on TV) since Viva's release has just made me laugh to be honest. I don't know that it is them sounding bad (they don't really) as much as them just looking silly. I want to punch Martin in the face more than I want to sing along with him.

my perception of coldplay has changed, but in the opposite direction. i used to think they were whiney bitches trying hard, but now with the success and new album, i think chris martin is handling it very well and coming off as a guy i'd share a laugh with.

I can't say anything bad about Chris Martin. I was a ridiculous little fangirl when I met Coldplay before the show 5 years ago and gave him a flower my friend picked out of her garden, and he freaking put the flower on his piano on stage for the duration of the show. He's too nice.

And I think they're great live.

I agree that Ladytron are sadly lacking live. I would've gone to their recent tour if they stopped by Phoenix because I love them so much, but they skipped us this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

my perception of coldplay has changed, but in the opposite direction.
    same here, i used to hate them, but the new album actually being good changed my opinion.

i still feel this way though...

Quote Originally Posted by FakePlasticMe View Post
    I want to punch Martin in the face more than I want to sing along with him.

Interpol was pretty bad at the Forum last year. They just stood there. No presence whatsoever.
    2008, 2009, 2011, 2012-2, 2013-1...

[QUOTE=amyzzz;666779]I can't say anything bad about Chris Martin. I was a ridiculous little fangirl when I met Coldplay before the show 5 years ago and gave him a flower my friend picked out of her garden, and he freaking put the flower on his piano on stage for the duration of the show. He's too nice.
    [QUOTE]

That's awesome! I met them too 6 years ago (god, I can't believe it was that long ago) before their Milwaukee show, and I ended up getting an aftershow pass from this girl next to me who knew the roadies. The band didn't show, but we got to hang out with the roadies on their bus for a while (just played video games, had a drink, left). They all seem like nice people...that wasn't in question.

That's odd that you guys are bigger fans now after the X + Y atrocity and the mediocre at best Viva la Vida. Parachutes and Rush of Blood were far better albums (in my opinion) and at least back then you could see them at smaller venues.

Quote Originally Posted by All That I Am View Post
    The worst show i've ever attended was Bob Dylan in '05.
    I know bob doesn't have a singers voice that wasnt the problem. He didn't even walk onto the stage, he just strolled in and sat in the far left corner of the stage and sang out of time the whole show. The band was trying to match him, but it seemed that every time they got on rhythm he'd fall off again.
    Yes, yes! Oh God. If I weren't on shrooms that night I would have killed myself. I am glad I can say that I saw him, but it wasn't worth $140 for a pair of tickets. Plus hotel. "Friend" never paid me back for her ticket. Yeah, I didn't even recognize "Like A Rolling Stone" until it was almost over.

Quote Originally Posted by davrone View Post
    Interpol was pretty bad at the Forum last year. They just stood there. No presence whatsoever.
    Yeah, they have zero presence. Paul's voice doesn't sound very good live, either. The music sounds fine, though. But yeah, I wouldn't see them again, especially since their music is getting progressively worse. Seems the whole "let's do a Joy Division tribute 20 years late" is only good for one album.

And Gina, nobody liked Bright Eyes at Coachella 05. Nobody. Wow, that was crap. I ended up sitting in front of the KROQ tent waiting for my ride instead of watching more than 5 minutes of that disaster.
    4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/19 Lykke Li @ The Theatre at Ace, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/18-22 Sled Island