Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are music festivals bad for the local community?

Banned

Default are music festivals bad for the local community?

Just read an article about a local resident that's complaining about organizers of the Rothbury Festival, saying things like the portable toilets are lined up against his properties and whatnot.
    Here's the article:
    http://blog.mlive.com/chronicle/2008...dents_thr.html

Seems like just a redneck, but this seems to happen at other places, too
    Coachella I think had a overall positive feeling in Indio when I went in 2007, and Lollapalooza for the most part also has good responses from Chicago.
    But what about others like Bonnaroo? And there are tons of new festivals this year, would you even be comfy with having a music festival in your back yard with upwards of 35,000 people and music you didn't like? Or are general people just idiots and irresponsible and don't understand the art of music festivals?
    What do you guys think?

Default Re: are music festivals bad for the local community?

Superfly bought the property that they hold Bonnaroo on so that's a good solution in their case, but some festivals bring money into places that have no other attractions or reasons for people to go there otherwise so people just have to take the good with the bad and shut the fuck up in the process.

I would have agreed had you mentioned Rothenberg.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Some people are just assholes.

There used to be this neighborhood that was relatively close to ours. There were a lot of retired firefighters that lived in it and every year, they would band together and put up a huge christmas display. It was unfuckingbelievable-the whole street would be lit up and they even had little animatronic characters in glass cases-the works. On Christmas Eve, the guy would rent (or had) a sleigh and he would dress up like Santa and drive it down the street. It would take him six months to get everything out. One spoilsport sued them and ruined the whole thing-even though Christmas guy won his lawsuit, he stopped becuase he said the whole experience of getting sued about Christmas lights just blew all the enjoyment out of it.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I happened to be traveling through Manchester, TN during Bonnaroo (on the way to Chattanooga from Memphis), and the general consensus of the locals that I talked to was that they hated Bonnaroo.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

you forgot the asterisk.

Do they hate the revenue the county gets from it ?? Maybe Bonnaroo should move on somewhere else and let the resulting bump in property & sales taxes for the yokels soften their cough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Some people are just assholes.

There used to be this neighborhood that was relatively close to ours. There were a lot of retired firefighters that lived in it and every year, they would band together and put up a huge christmas display. It was unfuckingbelievable-the whole street would be lit up and they even had little animatronic characters in glass cases-the works. On Christmas Eve, the guy would rent (or had) a sleigh and he would dress up like Santa and drive it down the street. It would take him six months to get everything out. One spoilsport sued them and ruined the whole thing-even though Christmas guy won his lawsuit, he stopped becuase he said the whole experience of getting sued about Christmas lights just blew all the enjoyment out of it.
    Was that North Phoenix? If so, I remember when that happened.
    Made my kids sad.
    Some people need to get a life!
    Like the asshole next door who whines that my son is loud when he skateboards on our half-pipe in the backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by unitedwestand View Post
    Just read an article about a local resident that's complaining about organizers of the Rothbury Festival, saying things like the portable toilets are lined up against his properties and whatnot.
    Here's the article:

Coachella I think had a overall positive feeling in Indio when I went in 2007, and Lollapalooza for the most part also has good responses from Chicago.
    But what about others like Bonnaroo? And there are tons of new festivals this year, would you even be comfy with having a music festival in your back yard with upwards of 35,000 people and music you didn't like? Or are general people just idiots and irresponsible and don't understand the art of music festivals?
    What do you guys think?
    oh a redneck? who cares what they think. they're not even real people.

Quote Originally Posted by unitedwestand View Post
    Here's the article:

What do you guys think?
    Well, the first few years, Coachella was in my backyard. (Literally.) I wasn't really familiar with the music, but the idea that it was something different was kinda cool and any inconveniences were due to inexperience on the promoter's and city's part in planning for the event. Each year, GV and the city of Indio made corrections and adjustments that would keep the festival going, as well as keeping the local residents happy. In 2004, I went thinking, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em," and I haven't missed a year since then. For the most part, the locals have seen what it does for an otherwise boring economy over those 3 days and have adjusted to any inconveniences.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Superfly bought the property that they hold Bonnaroo on so that's a good solution in their case, but some festivals bring money into places that have no other attractions or reasons for people to go there otherwise so people just have to take the good with the bad and shut the fuck up in the process.
    It's obvious what Coach does for our little desert here...Try finding a room or place to stay that weekend! (And alot of places were booked up way before that!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Oh, Rednecks are real, trust me...There wouldn't be Stagecoach if they weren't.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Coachella Junkie

it would all depend on the kind of music...

if Coachella, UMF, or Creamfields was in my backyard, i'd be stoked every year.

If Warped Tour was in my backyard, i'd move away as far as possible in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post

If Warped Tour was in my backyard, i'd move away as far as possible in a heartbeat.
    QFT.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

don't be surprised when Coachella moves out of the polo grounds. Locals hate that Coachella is here in Indio.

That hasn't been the impression I've gotten.

I'd be interested in a real poll taken of indio residents about what they think of the festival.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post

once you see the crowd for UMF, I bet you will move away in a heartbeat.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    BINGO!

Festivals bring tens of thousands of people to the area and they all eat/sleep/shop/spend money. Especially festivals like Lolla where onsite camping isn't an option. Local businesses have to be thrilled to have a major music festival in their area.

This just reaffirms the ignorant redneck stereotype. I wonder if the person in question was a Pikey?!

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    oh a redneck? who cares what they think. they're not even real people.
    I know you were being sarcastic and all, but they're not.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    BINGO!

Festivals bring tens of thousands of people to the area and they all eat/sleep/shop/spend money. Especially festivals like Lolla where onsite camping isn't an option. Local businesses have to be thrilled to have a major music festival in their area.

This just reaffirms the ignorant redneck stereotype. I wonder if the person in question was a Pikey?!
    at places like Bonnaroo, and Lolla yeah it helps the economy. The diff. is here in the Coachella Valley the money that the festival brings in is really not needed. There are so many people moving here, and stores opening up that the money doesn't make a huge diff., or not as big as people make it seem. For that I think people would be ok without the money that the 3 days bring, over all the shit that happens during the festival.

I would say the local community is bad for music festivals.

as is the music festival for local communities. Unless it's the music you like.

Well, I can imagine that if you just hate music or have really narrow-minded tastes, it would suck to have a music festival literally in your back yard full of music you hate. I'd like to think that most people would be curious and would check it out just because it was so convenient.

It doesn't really compare to major festivals but the Treasure Island festival here is, well, on an island. The island has practically nothing in the way of services/entertainment/etc, and even though it's right off the bridge from SF, you can't bike or walk to SF or Oakland (since the only way off the island is boat or bridge), and people who live there end up being limited in options to go out since they have to either drive or take a bus. There were tons of TI residents at the festival last year, and everyone I talked to was really thrilled to have *SOMETHING* there. So many people said they had never heard of the bands or that it wasn't really music they listened to, but just thought it was great not to have to go into one of the cities for that weekend.

I don't care how many communities have to be slain in order to make my light shows.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

The more communities slain the better off we all are.

i get a taste of what it's like since i live in newport beach. during winter i can go down to the beach whenever i want and find a parking spot. the streets are filled with residents and their vehicles around town. once school is out and summer is here it's a different story. if i am heading home on the 55 around noon it will be backed up a mile, taking a half an hour to go that distance just to get off the freeway if i forget to get off the exit before. if i am trying to get to the freeway mid to late afternoon i need to double the amount of time it would take in the off season. summer here is a bitch, but how can i really complain when the ocean is my backyard. we all live with it for a reason, because it's worth it. right about this time of year i am ready for it to be fall again, though. tomorrow there will be thousands of people walking down the hill by my house leaving their trash, etc. all over the place. have some fucking respect.

i did see a funny marquee at one of the bar's, though...said "when it's 100 in riverside it's 909 in newport." shit cracked me up!
    Last edited by JustSteve; 07-03-2008 at 08:14 PM.

I just got rear ended by a 909er on the 55. I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    i get a taste of what it's like since i live in newport beach. during winter i can go down to the beach whenever i want and find a parking spot. the streets are filled with residents and their vehicles around town. once school is out and summer is here it's a different story. if i am heading home on the 55 around noon it will be backed up a mile, taking a half an hour to go that distance just to get off the freeway if i forget to get off the exit before. if i am trying to get to the freeway mid to late afternoon i need to double the amount of time it would take in the off season. summer here is a bitch, but how can i really complain when the ocean is my backyard. we all live with it for a reason, because it's worth it. right about this time of year i am ready for it to be fall again, though. tomorrow there will be thousands of people walking down the hill by my house leaving their trash, etc. all over the place. have some fucking respect.

i did see a funny marquee at one of the bar's, though...said "when it's 100 in riverside it's 909 in newport." shit cracked me up!
    Yeah, that's a pretty hilarious marquee.

Seriously. HILARIOUS.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    I don't care how many communities have to be slain in order to make my light shows.
    sigged.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.