Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2008

Default Re: College Football 2008

Scott is going to be sick. I think he'll put up big numbers in the Big 12 and it'll be good to see Colorado become a solid team. Look for them to eventually replace the upstarts @ Missouri and Kansas in the not-so-distant future...

Fresno St. is a team that can be this year's Boise St. or Hawaii. A team that is no stranger to hanging tough with the elite (See: 2005 v. USC). They went alllllll the way to Pescathaway, NJ to throttle a Rutgers team that isn't an easy team to beat out there in the Garden State. Camp Randall though, is an entirely different beast (but isn't it in Fresno?). If they beat the Badgers, it will be a huge...huge...win for the Bulldogs and quiet the anti-West Coast rhetoric from the ignorant East Coast/Midwest people...

Not that USC hasn't already shown them that the West can play a little ball...

The game is in Fresno, we already went to Camp Randall and beat them there. Its still going to be tough as hell, their running back is a beast.

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    I hate the bandwagon bashing of everyone on the Big Ten, saying OSU didn't deserve to be in the title game and what not - complete horseshit.
    fans bashed the big 10 last year, and the year before that, because they played shitty schedules, actually lost to some of the crap teams they had scheduled, and then managed to get two teams into BCS bowls including one into the championship when there were more deserving teams out there. The appearance is that the deck is stacked in favor of the big 10 at the expense of other conferences. that pisses people off and that's why people bash the big 10 so much.

Ohio state plays USC in a couple of weeks and will probably lose by 2 or 3 touchdowns. Ohio state will win the rest of its games and still make a BCS bowl, possibly the national championship game, in which case it will also lose that game by 2 or 3 touchdowns.

for what its' worth I have no horse in this race.. my alma mater plays in Conference USA. I don't give a shit about the nascar idiots in the SEC or the cheating thugs in the Pac 12. I like to see ASU win but I don't go to their games. So my opinion is about as unbiased as you'll find.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    for what its' worth I have no horse in this race.. my alma mater plays in Conference USA. I don't give a shit about the nascar idiots in the SEC or the cheating thugs in the Pac 12. I like to see ASU win but I don't go to their games. So my opinion is about as unbiased as you'll find.

Where is your alma mater? Mine is in the Mountain West (University of New Mexico) so there is no way in hell they are ever winning a national title.

I'm just a college football geek. I started rooting for Miami when I was 9 and still do to this day. I even traveled out to Pasadena and saw them demoralize Nebraska in the Rose Bowl. The Canes were basically an NFL team that season. That program will be back very soon. They've had a couple of great recruiting classes.

I have been a fan of USC for almost all my life. It was that and going to Laker games when I was growing up. I remember waiting down on the field to meet the likes of Todd Marinovich lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    I have been a fan of USC for almost all my life. It was that and going to Laker games when I was growing up. I remember waiting down on the field to meet the likes of Todd Marinovich lol...

Lol, Todd Marinovich! If there is a better example of why a father shouldn't be a total freak about pushing his son in sports, I haven't seen it. Poor dude never really had a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    Lol, Todd Marinovich! If there is a better example of why a father shouldn't be a total freak about pushing his son in sports, I haven't seen it. Poor dude never really had a chance.
    Arm for days...could hit a bong like no other...and liked white lines like no otha...

Arm for days...could hit a bong like no other...and liked white lines like no otha...

And his dad tied his right arm behind his back so he would become a lefty. Never had a burger a day in his life.....up until the weed addiction I'm sure.

And his dad tied his right arm behind his back so he would become a lefty. Never had a burger a day in his life.....up until the weed addiction I'm sure.
    The same happened to Sean Burroughs of L.B. Little League All-Stars fame...Overbearing parents and sports is a fuckin' lame thing. Let your kids have fun and if they want to pursue a career aid them, but don't live vicariously through them. There's enough time for that when they sign their first million(s) dollar signing bonus...

The same happened to Sean Burroughs of L.B. Little League All-Stars fame...Overbearing parents and sports is a fuckin' lame thing. Let your kids have fun and if they want to pursue a career aid them, but don't live vicariously through them. There's enough time for that when they sign their first million(s) dollar signing bonus...

I was wondering whatever happened to Burroughs. He was a high draft pick and played for the Padres at one point. And when I saw him I thought to myself "Is that really the husky kid from the Little League World Series?".

I'm gonna have to look up his situation with his parent(s). I know his dad was in the MLB. I can see him being pushed to the same career.

fans bashed the big 10 last year, and the year before that, because they played shitty schedules, actually lost to some of the crap teams they had scheduled, and then managed to get two teams into BCS bowls including one into the championship when there were more deserving teams out there. The appearance is that the deck is stacked in favor of the big 10 at the expense of other conferences. that pisses people off and that's why people bash the big 10 so much.

Ohio state plays USC in a couple of weeks and will probably lose by 2 or 3 touchdowns. Ohio state will win the rest of its games and still make a BCS bowl, possibly the national championship game, in which case it will also lose that game by 2 or 3 touchdowns.
    You say teams... other than Georgia (maybe), who was more deserving last year than OSU?

If OSU loses to USC - they will NOT make it back to the BCS game. They made it last year and it was a decent game, move on. No matter what school plays who - it comes down to performing like you are expected to. That means USC doesn't lose to Stanford last year and WVU doesn't choke against the dreadful Pitt Panthers. OSU losing to a tough Illinois team is not the same kind of loss.

Your logic says we have to penalize the team due to the conference they're in. Just because Indiana, Northwestern, and Minn suck balls doesn't automatically mean OSU and Illinois do. ALL teams, even PAC 10 and SEC teams play a creampuff or two.

Last year for example Georgia, the supposed BCS outlaw and loser in the whole affair, barely beat TROY and looked surprisingly bad against Western Carolina! Again, no one talks about that though. This year the reigning BCS champs, LSU, play such powerhouse schools as Troy, North Texas University, Mississippi State, App State, and fucking Tulane!

I understand the amount of teams that OSU plays doesn't give the overall contest of a SEC schedule top to bottom, but to say their schedule as a whole is sooooo much easier than say LSU's... is too critical, and one-sided bandwagon bashing imo.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 09-03-2008 at 10:36 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

In what sense was Illinois a "tough team"? they didn't ever beat anybody. they lost to an OK Missouri team, mediocre Iowa, lousy Michigan, but still somehow managed to get invited to a BCS bowl.. where they got their ass handed to them by USC by 5 touchdowns. The only team of any note they beat was Ohio State.. but somehow you are using that to justify that Ohio State was good? your logic is circular.

and if you consider Ohio St losing to LSU by two touchdowns a "good game", well, you've been watching shitty slow big 10 ball too long.
    Last edited by TomAz; 09-03-2008 at 01:28 PM.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

25-23.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

In what sense was Illinois a "tough team"? they didn't ever beat anybody. they lost to an OK Missouri team, mediocre Iowa, lousy Michigan, but still somehow managed to get invited to a BCS bowl.. where they got their ass handed to them by USC by 5 touchdowns. The only team of any note they beat was Ohio State.. but somehow you are using that to justify that Ohio State was good? your logic is circular.

and if you consider Ohio St losing to LSU by two touchdowns a "good game", well, you've been watching shitty slow big 10 ball too long.
    Fuck your Big Ten jabs every five seconds man - blinded by the PAC Ten sun. Listen I'm trying to meet you halfway here. OSU is not slow. were they slower than Florida - yes. Slower than say Georgia or Oklahoma last year - nah I doubt it. In fact if you go look at 40 times OSU had 2 guys in the top ten times in all of college last year. So your slow ball logic is somewhat slanted to begin with. I realize they don't throw the ball as much or whatever - but thats more perception than anything - OSU attempted just as many passes as LSU last year. So what makes a teams play slow?

You and I both know it was closer than two touchdowns. It was decent game. Games don't have to go into triple OT to be closer than what the score seems. If Beck had a played the second quarter like the first and thrid - I am confident the outcome would have been MUCH different. Again, it gets to this let's BASH OSU cause they lost - I ain't buying it. No one, not even Ohio State is claiming they were the best team then or now, consistently a good, top 5 team, absolutely. Point is for being an elite team - they get wwwwaaaayy too much shit, based on 2 BCS championship loses. It seems immediately after everyone says - so and so would've beat LSU, so and so could've made the Florida game closer - that's fucking stupid. tell that to teams who are supposed to beat whoever, like USC and Stanford or Michigan against App State - no one knows shit till AFTER the games are played, and then everyone plays fucking expert afterwards.

Missou was very good last year when they played Illinois - and no one is denying they got killed in the bowl - it was expected. But you could have picked a dozen other teams with sim records from other conferences and the outcome would still be USC by 5 touchdowns. But again the Big Ten gets the rap. But if say... Tennessee (who had the same record) got in there against USC, then got killed - which that woulda happened... does that make the SEC less of a conference? Even with a loss like that, people would still being creamin all over the SEC - which is what I'm trying to say here.

Again... other than Georgia - who was more deserving last year?

Also - what do your purpose a team like OSU does about it? They can't change schedules now - those have been set till 2013 already. So because they are in the Big Ten - they have to wait for a few teams to get better in the conference before people STFU?
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 09-03-2008 at 02:25 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

dude. it was 38-24.

my point is nobody in the big 10 ever beats anybody of note other than other big 10 schools. i'm talking pure facts, not how close a game seems or who appears more or less deserving.

really this is a college football issue not a big 10 issue. the thing about college football is, so much of it is reputation and image rather than reality. that's why the small conferences had to file a lawsuit to get the BCS rules changed, that's why there is no college playoff system, that's why big teams schedule so many patsies. Juggernaut State U wants to beat Cornfield College 77-0 rather than schedule and play someone its equal. God forbid they should actually decide who's better on the playing field. have a 8 team playoff, then there's no question, ohio state is invited, and if they can win the playoff games then they deserve to be in the championship. ditto georgia and SC and whoever else.
    Last edited by TomAz; 09-03-2008 at 02:31 PM.

dude. it was 38-24.

my point is nobody in the big 10 ever beats anybody of note other than other big 10 schools. i'm talking pure facts, not how close a game seems or who appears more or less deserving.

really this is a college football issue not a big 10 issue. the thing about college football is, so much of it is reputation and image rather than reality. that's why the small conferences had to file a lawsuit to get the BCS rules changed, that's why there is no college playoff system, that's why big teams schedule so many patsies. Juggernaut State U wants to beat Cornfield College 77-0 rather than schedule and play someone its equal. God forbid they should actually decide who's better on the playing field. have a 8 team playoff, then there's no question, ohio state is invited, and if they can win the playoff games then they deserve to be in the championship. ditto georgia and SC and whoever else.
    Correct - but the Big Ten isn't alone in this, but all the crap everyone spouts doesn't say so.

Hey at least the Buckeyes are trying. On the schedules thru 2015:
    USC
    Miami (FLA)
    Oregon
    Washington St.
    Colorado
    Cal
    The Glitter Freeze

I think it's the Youngstowns and Akrons that make Ohio State stand out too. I mean USC's nonconference schedule this year is Virginia, OSU, and Notre Dame. they may not all be good but at least they are all major football programs.

Last year for example Georgia, the supposed BCS outlaw and loser in the whole affair, barely beat TROY
    hey look who's on Ohio State's schedule this year

Oh I realize that.

So if we only beat them by a touchdown then are we are automatically better than Georgia?

By the way, Virginia and ND aren't anything to brag about.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 09-03-2008 at 04:30 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

By the way, Virginia and ND aren't anything to brag about.
    When you have Youngtown St., Ohio, and Troy scheduled, you have nothing to say in regards to what Virginia and ND are. Virginia is a BCS team, went to a New Year's Day bowl last year, and ND has its legacy of multiple championships. Granted, they suck the sweat of Charlie Weis' right testicle to his gooch, but they would still beat Youngtown St. and Ohio...Troy may be a toss-up.

Let's face it. The Big 10 is as relevant at this point as the fat chick in a cadre of hot chicks at a club. At one point, she was sexy, fun, and didn't come with the stigma of blowing every bright opportunity and getting lucky on the rare occasion (See: Rose Bowl 2003 Ohio St. vs. Miami). But that was before the freshman 30. She has the hullabaloo confidence of false hotness (See: Michigan, THE Ohio St. University, and Illinois). Talking about oh, the Big 10 will smash on the 'SC and SEC teams and well...

Any conference with a team that refers to it as THE needs to be checked. So, all of the Big-10 teams need to get their Sex On The Beachs and sit their asses back down. The era of Bo Schembachler, Woody Hayes, and Joe Paterno are through.

Don't be dumb Mr. Long beach. Not like you opinion is fucking biased from word one.

First off, it was 2002, and luck had nothing to do with it. If anything Miami was lucky to get back into that game, because both statistically and physically OSU reamed them royal for 3 and half quarters. Go back and watch it again, but I doubt it'll help since your comments already reveal your disdain for Ohio State.

Next, who is saying the big ten will smash SC and the SEC? Certainly not me. If you are bashing OSU as too confident and over-rated, then you really are silly, they are a good team, a top 5 team, no one can argue that. In fact no one really does.

Further more... the arguement is NOT that the Big Ten isn't as relevant or as good as it was a few years back, just pointing out that the countless bashing will simply go away in a few years when the tides of college football turn once again. ND will be good, the Pac Ten will once again be for pussies, and teams like Goergia Tech will win the championship. One only has to cruise on over to ESPN's cover story (the shift of powerhouses: Miami and Florida) to see my point - http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/index

I can say that Virginia fucking sucks this year cause that's a fucking fact. ND is still a joke right now - using their past glories is why people raz OSU for bringing up 2002. So I won't do it if you don't.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 09-04-2008 at 09:25 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

FYI - latest word from OSU is Beanie Wells will not be playing this weekend, and is still questionable against USC.
    The Glitter Freeze

If you are bashing OSU as too confident and over-rated, then you really are silly, they are a good team, a top 5 team, no one can argue that.

they make that kool-aid shit out West too my friend.

you honesty wouldn't put them in the top 5 right now?
    The Glitter Freeze

There is no objective reason to put them in the Top 5.

or none to keep them out

we ain't gonna see eye to eye on this - its ok.
    The Glitter Freeze

First off, it was 2002, and luck had nothing to do with it. If anything Miami was lucky to get back into that game, because both statistically and physically OSU reamed them royal for 3 and half quarters. Go back and watch it again, but I doubt it'll help since your comments already reveal your disdain for Ohio State.

Well, the game was in 2003. It was the 2002 season. And it was the Fiesta Bowl, not the Rose Bowl. Miami ripped Nebraska in the Rose Bowl the year before.

Ohio State did outplay the Canes that night. For sure. But Miami was so good that they were still up by 7 when that infamous horseshit of a call happened. When Glenn Sharpe and Chris Gamble were jockying for position and Gamble dropped the pass in the endzone. OSU played a hell of a game, but that was still a shit call at a very bad time of the game. Oh and it was convenient that Willis McGahee got hurt when Miami was beginning to roll.

. Oh and it was convenient that Willis McGahee got hurt when Miami was beginning to roll.
    You mean when we knocked him out of the game.

there were tons of bad calls - a few of which woulda never even seen the Canes in OT in the first place.
    The Glitter Freeze

You mean when we knocked him out of the game.

there were tons of bad calls - a few of which woulda never even seen the Canes in OT in the first place.

Yeah I know. That one call was just in an especially crazy part of the game. That's why we latch onto that as Canes fans. OSU definitely outplayed them. I don't even think there's a question about that. The Buckeyes defense was just ridiculously good. I also remember Sean Taylor's interception that could've turned the momentum, but fucking Clarett stripped it away when Taylor got downfield. I bet Maurice thinks about that often in the pen.

I just want remind everyone that I predicted the San Diego State victory over Notre Dame quite a few pages ago. So, ya know, dont be surprised when it happens...