Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 192021222324

Thread: College Football 2008

Default Re: College Football 2008

don't get me wrong, i'm all for a playoff. i just think it's silly to think utah could beat more than one "real" team when it matters most. alabama, sure...but not another.

Personally I don't care that much. That's the main point of departure between me and the Playoff crowd, I don't give a shit about who is called the National Champion. A marginally less flawed system doesn't interest me enough to kill off the Bowls.

Oh, yeah, that's the other point of departure. I like the Bowls; I find that 7 (much less 15, gah) games of playoffs make for much less exciting football than 30-odd personally selected one-offs.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

It's sad that there's only 4 "real" teams in college football. Sc, Texas, okla, and Florida. And if your not one of these teams you can't be considered a top team regardless of your record (13 wins 0 losses) how many ranked teams you beat (4) and how many bowl teams you beat (6). How many ranked teams did the 4 "real" teams beat? How many losses did they have? Of those losses how many were to unranked teams. To not give Utah credit because they are in a "weak conference" is fucking retarded.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

the WAC and the MWC should combine into something like this-

MOUNTAIN
    Utah
    BYU
    Boise St.
    Colorado St.
    TCU
    Wyoming

WEST
    San Diego St.
    Fresno St.
    Nevada
    UNLV
    Hawaii
    New Mexico

something like this, maybe cherry pick UTEP back in for someone else, give the new conference an auto BCS bid...

I'd enjoy that, though Fresno and Boise have developed a healthy rivalry that was missing out their respective real rivalries (Idaho and San Jose have been ugly pushovers for the most part for the last decade).
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

I'd also be down for that. Except I'd switch out San diego state for San jose state and Wyoming for air force.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    It's sad that there's only 4 "real" teams in college football. Sc, Texas, okla, and Florida. And if your not one of these teams you can't be considered a top team regardless of your record (13 wins 0 losses) how many ranked teams you beat (4) and how many bowl teams you beat (6). How many ranked teams did the 4 "real" teams beat? How many losses did they have? Of those losses how many were to unranked teams. To not give Utah credit because they are in a "weak conference" is fucking retarded.
    i was just using those four teams, since i consider them among the tops in the nation. i think mid-majors are fun, just like march madness. the best thing about cinderellas though...they DON'T win the big game. who wants a fucking george mason as the ncaa champs? probably the same people that want the utes as the football champs. great teams, both of them, just not great enough to hold that crystal football.

The utes did win the big game though. I haven't really gotten pissed off at the bcs this year. Am I mad we weren't considered for the national championship? Sure. It was a great season though and honestly I am not going to waste time complaining when I can bask in the glory that is Utah football right now. According to your logic since Utah is in a non-bcs conference it takes away from what they accomplished this year? Since they are in a non bcs conference they are undeserving of the recognition they are getting? You are what is wrong with college football.
    Last edited by kreutz2112; 01-09-2009 at 08:28 PM.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

no...they deserve to be praised. they're a great team! i just don't think they should even be in the debate for national championship though.

That's ridiculous. That's as ridiculous as saying that they are, no argument, the best team out there.

Yes, it is very common for these teams to roll through an easy regular season schedule undefeated and then get spanked in a Bowl game. It is quite amusing. But that didn't happen with Utah: they rolled through what wasn't an easy schedule and they won - convincingly - over a strong Alabama team.

A 16 team playoff system would put the 11 conference champions,
    (making conference games and champions more meaningful) plus the 5 highest ranked teams to not win their conference (like Texas, Texas Tech, TCU and Alabama, as well as the independants if ND could pull their heads out of their collective asses)against each other. This system would almost certainly ensure that the top 10 BCS ranked teams would have a shot at a playing for a national championship.

CONFERENCE CHAMPION

ACC-- Virginia Tech

Big 12-- Oklahoma

Big East-- Cinncinati

Big Ten-- Penn State

Conf. USA-- East Carolina

Mid-American-- Buffalo

Mountain West-- Utah

PAC 10-- USC

SEC-- Florida

Sun Belt-- Troy

WAC-- Boise State

At-Large 1-- Texas

At-Large 2-- Alabama

At-Large 3-- Texas Tech

At-Large 4-- Ohio State

At-Large 5-- TCU

The four BCS bowl games and the national championship game will be used to facilitate the playoff. In essence, each BCS bowl game will have it's own 4 team playoff to determine their respective champion and the team that they will send to the National Championship Bracket. All teams that do not qualify for the playoff would play in traditional bowl games if bowl eligible and invited. This system would allow 70 schools to play in bowl games. Six more than the current 64 schools.

The bowls would rotate each year as to who hosts the current #1team as well as the title game.

Last edited by disgustipated; 01-10-2009 at 09:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

heres how to make sense of it all(i know im late on this but i have to put my 2 cents in cuz i am a bcs supporter) utah had a great year, however, and correct me if im wrong here, they beat one team ranked higher than them. texas lost to texas tech who went on to lose to ole miss. texas beat oklahoma by ten and i dont give a shit what anyone says, that game was played in dallas, texas which is a helluva lot closer to austin than to norman, ok. oklahoma SMOKED tech by 40. oklahoma deserved to be in the national championship. florida beat TWO number one teams this year and had only one loss to a quality opponent, ole miss. therefore- this year, like 9 out of the last 10, the bcs got it right.
    I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by musicthegreatcommunicator View Post
    i dont give a shit what anyone says, that game was played in dallas, texas which is a helluva lot closer to austin than to norman, ok.

Wrong.

Norman to Dallas...192 mi – about 3 hours 4 mins

Austin to Dallas...196 mi – about 3 hours 7 mins
    Last edited by disgustipated; 01-15-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Embarrassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    The four BCS bowl games and the national championship game will be used to facilitate the playoff. In essence, each BCS bowl game will have it's own 4 team playoff to determine their respective champion and the team that they will send to the National Championship Bracket. All teams that do not qualify for the playoff would play in traditional bowl games if bowl eligible and invited. This system would allow 70 schools to play in bowl games. Six more than the current 64 schools.

The bowls would rotate each year as to who hosts the current #1team as well as the title game.
    "Hi, bowl games, we're going to repurpose you entirely and use the same name to try and convince folks that we care about tradition other than exploiting it to legitimize our nonsense."

No, no, no, a thousand times no. If/when they do a playoff, please please just don't try to pretend that they're bowl games. They're not.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    "Hi, sixteen teams worth of players [plus staff, the cheerleaders, bands, etc], you get to play just after finals end/a few days before Christmas. If you win you get to play just after Christmas too, so don't bother making any plans to go home to visit your family.

"Actually, don't make any plans for the next couple weeks at all, because you have no idea where/if/how many times you're going to be playing.

"Cause if you win a second time you get to play somewhere else a couple days after New Years, so forget trying to do something with non-football teammates to celebrate that.

"If you happen to win again you'll get to play yet again, which would likely be your sixteenth game of the year. Granted, if you're lucky enough to make it to the NFL is the regular season but (a) most of you won't make it, (b) then you won't have to be going to school at the same time and (c) you'll be getting paid - very well - for playing."

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    "Hi, bowl games, we're going to repurpose you entirely and use the same name to try and convince folks that we care about tradition other than exploiting it to legitimize our nonsense."

No, no, no, a thousand times no. If/when they do a playoff, please please just don't try to pretend that they're bowl games. They're not.
    It'd be like if somebody bought the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival and decided that it was going to be all Top 40 and reunited Boy Bands and also instead of the cool art installations they were going to have a Target Greatland and they were going to change the food to only McDonalds and they were going to start selling only Pepsi and Pepsi products. And instead of just Heineken they were going to have just Budweiser.

And they were going to keep calling it Coachella.

That would be insulting, no?

John it would be like they were used to in high school (10-12 regular season games, 1-6 playoff games (all played at a different location each week,all around the Holidays) The difference would be that all of the games are played in the same four locations. If a team is in the Fiesta bracket they would play up to 2 games in Tempe, with the third, fourth and fifth games to be played at the BCS location. Teams in the playoffs would only be playing on two different fields if they make it that far.

Quote Originally Posted by musicthegreatcommunicator View Post
    heres how to make sense of it all(i know im late on this but i have to put my 2 cents in cuz i am a bcs supporter) utah had a great year, however, and correct me if im wrong here, they beat one team ranked higher than them. texas lost to texas tech who went on to lose to ole miss. texas beat oklahoma by ten and i dont give a shit what anyone says, that game was played in dallas, texas which is a helluva lot closer to austin than to norman, ok. oklahoma SMOKED tech by 40. oklahoma deserved to be in the national championship. florida beat TWO number one teams this year and had only one loss to a quality opponent, ole miss. therefore- this year, like 9 out of the last 10, the bcs got it right.
    your football logic is almost as strong as your geography.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    It'd be like if somebody bought the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival and decided that it was going to be all Top 40 and reunited Boy Bands and also instead of the cool art installations they were going to have a Target Greatland and they were going to change the food to only McDonalds and they were going to start selling only Pepsi and Pepsi products. And instead of just Heineken they were going to have just Budweiser.

And they were going to keep calling it Coachella.

That would be insulting, no?
    This would be a perfect analogy if it went the other way. Take a top 40 fest and turn it into a really great Coachella-esque festival. That is the type of improvement that a playoff would bring to college football.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe;921646"Hi, sixteen teams worth of players [plus staff, the cheerleaders, bands, etc
    , you get to play just after finals end/a few days before Christmas. If you win you get to play just after Christmas too, so don't bother making any plans to go home to visit your family.

"Actually, don't make any plans for the next couple weeks at all, because you have no idea where/if/how many times you're going to be playing.

"Cause if you win a second time you get to play somewhere else a couple days after New Years, so forget trying to do something with non-football teammates to celebrate that.

"If you happen to win again you'll get to play yet again, which would likely be your sixteenth game of the year. Granted, if you're lucky enough to make it to the NFL is the regular season but (a) most of you won't make it, (b) then you won't have to be going to school at the same time and (c) you'll be getting paid - very well - for playing."
    "In other words, you will go through the same type of schedule that your Division I-AA, II, and III counterparts do. Also, any scholarship athlete that plays any other sport."

Sanchez probably made a mistake.
    But we will be fine...Mitch Mustain will step in take SC to the title game!

Quote Originally Posted by bakersfield View Post
    Sanchez probably made a mistake.
    But we will be fine...Mitch Mustain will step in take SC to the title game!
    I know it will probably change when the rooks go to the combine, but he is projected as the #1 pick on some boards right now. He will probably be top 10-15. We saw what happened to Leinert when he stayed in school. He is graduating in May, he might as well capitalize on that huge Penn St game. But SC will be fine. We have three good options for next year.
    For your health

Usc also signed the #1 prospect in the nation in QB Matt Barkley. This kid looks impressive.