Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Board members who make music

Default Re: Board members who make music

myspace.com/specialtanks
    coachella vet: 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09......
    http://mrgwillgo.blogspot.com/

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

I figured I would throw this in here.

I recorded a mix for fun the other day. There are some mistakes here and there as I am no pro and haven't been doing this for long, but I think it's listenable. Enjoy.

1. Klaxons - Gravity's Rainbow (Van She Remix)
    2. LCD Soundsystem - North American Scum (Kris Menace Remix)
    3. The Presets - This Boy's In Love
    4. Goldenboy vs. Miss Kitten - Rippin Kittin (TV Rock Remix)
    5. Cassie - Me & U (DJ Eli Remix)
    6. LCD Project - Breathless
    7 .The Faint - Glass Dance (Paul Oakenfold Remix)
    8. Simian Mobile Disco - Hustler
    9. Green Velvet - Shake and Pop
    10. The Knife - Heartbeats (Rex The Dog Remix)
    11. Yelle - A Cause De Garcons (Tepr Remix)
    12. A-Trak - Say Whoa
    13. Spoon Wizard - Shoe Monkey (Tom Real vs. The Rogue Element Remix)
    14. Boys Noise - Oh! (A-Trak Remix)
    15. Justice - Phantom Part 2 (Boys Noize Remix)

RT: 1:12
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I'm listening, stay in the lab buddy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    I figured I would throw this in here.

I recorded a mix for fun the other day. There are some mistakes here and there as I am no pro and haven't been doing this for long, but I think it's listenable. Enjoy.

1. Klaxons - Gravity's Rainbow (Van She Remix)
    2. LCD Soundsystem - North American Scum (Kris Menace Remix)
    3. The Presets - This Boy's In Love
    4. Goldenboy vs. Miss Kitten - Rippin Kittin (TV Rock Remix)
    5. Cassie - Me & U (DJ Eli Remix)
    6. LCD Project - Breathless
    7 .The Faint - Glass Dance (Paul Oakenfold Remix)
    8. Simian Mobile Disco - Hustler
    9. Green Velvet - Shake and Pop
    10. The Knife - Heartbeats (Rex The Dog Remix)
    11. Yelle - A Cause De Garcons (Tepr Remix)
    12. A-Trak - Say Whoa
    13. Spoon Wizard - Shoe Monkey (Tom Real vs. The Rogue Element Remix)
    14. Boys Noise - Oh! (A-Trak Remix)
    15. Justice - Phantom Part 2 (Boys Noize Remix)

RT: 1:12

sounds real good. I am enjoying this!
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

What do you use to record?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

Just straight out of my mixer into my laptop with garage band. Nothing fancy, but it works.
    last.fm

I'm still listening. nice!!
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

That's always a good sign. Thanks for checking it out and for the support.
    last.fm

I make music.

A friend and I just finished working on some tracks, which are pretty different to the stuff I would normally do. Heavy guitars and beats.We don't have vocals yet though. I could post the instrumentals here, though, if anyone's interested.

Nice mix Brandon.
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    So here is a song we finished mixing yesterday.

The band doesn't have a name yet, so I just put "And Castle" which is sort of an inside joke. Anyway. I play drums.

If you like it, tell your friends. If not, tell your enemies.

The Thief

Hey, I just got done listening to this. I'm really impressed, and I'm not just saying that cause it's you.

I have some notes, and you can take them or leave them:

-The first five seconds remind me of "Can't Change Me" by Chris Cornell.
    -Then when the keyboard comes in, it sounds a bit like a Coldplay intro
    -Then when the drums kick in it really becomes a song of its own, and sounds good.
    -The vocals slightly let the rest of the song down, I feel. The singer does not have a bad voice, it's just really unremarkable. It sounds like someone's uncle singing in the shower. Also he needs to be really careful not to sound like a singer doing an impression of another singer. That's the worst mistake a vocalist can make.
    -The instrumental with clapping at 2:10 into the song is awesome.
    -The only drum part I don't like is the three high-hats in a row when the singer sings "Cannot stay here" at 1:04, 1:08 and 1:12, and again when he sings "Falling again" at 1:40, 1:44 and 1:48. It just feels weak compared to the rest of the song.
    -The ending suddenly sounds a bit like System Of A Down and I think that is partly because of the guitar sound but also partly because the singer veers dangerously close to doing an impression of Serj on a couple of occasions. Like I said, he should be away of that.
    -Otherwise, it's a strong song, although there's a few times where it feels like it's building up to a really melodic singalong chorus which it never really delivers. Maybe that's intentional, maybe not. I dunno. Depends what type of band you are and what type of songs you want to write.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I really like it, and I want to hear more!
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    I'm still listening. nice!!
    So far, so good! Like it!
    Long live the rave tent! Die Hippy Scum.

i'm at the hospital... waiting for the baby to be born. improvising with a DX7 emulation instrument that has full spectrum matrix control of a complex waveform FM instrument built in SuperCollider (look into, the shit is unreal supercollider.sourceforge.net).

The nurse yelled at me to use headphones.

It's only one instrument and all of the controls were done live (SuperCollider has the ability to record whatever sound you are sending out of the server, so it's like recording a live performance, no post). Fun stuff...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X2U5FYO2

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    i'm at the hospital... waiting for the baby to be born. improvising with a DX7 emulation instrument that has full spectrum matrix control of a complex waveform FM instrument built in SuperCollider (look into, the shit is unreal supercollider.sourceforge.net).

wow.

I hope all goes well with the birth, and congratulations! Life will never be the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I hope all goes well with the birth, and congratulations! Life will never be the same.
    yeah.... just playing the waiting game now.

I forgot to mention that the file is .aif so you'll need a program that plays that (VLC and Itunes both do).

It's only one instrument and all of the controls were done live (SuperCollider has the ability to record whatever sound you are sending out of the server, so it's like recording a live performance, no post). Fun stuff...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X2U5FYO2
    damn, thats some crazy sound. Are you just using subtractive synthesis? like running it through a filter? or is it granular? i just downloaded it but its all gibberish to me. i get this stuff when its laid out on a panel but working with a whole new language is challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by PineapplePete View Post
    damn, thats some crazy sound. Are you just using subtractive synthesis? like running it through a filter? or is it granular? i just downloaded it but its all gibberish to me. i get this stuff when its laid out on a panel but working with a whole new language is challenging.
    It's simpler than that. It's additive synthesis.

Do you know what FM synthesis is? Basically the frequency of one signal is modulated with another. This is an instrument that has a matrix of modulations happening for 2-6 signals. So you can control really complex modulations that are interdependent. You can even make really complex beat patches if you want with an instrument like this. Most of what I did looks revolves around a primary signal that is punching through at 10-30hz, sub-hearing. It's modulated by a bunch of really slow signals that essentially add distinct rhythms (with uneven phases so you get prime interactions). Then the last signal in the matrix is a frequency that is audible (through most of that improv it hangs out at around 1200hz).

And when a signal is modulated with itself it introduces a lot of noise, I'm taking advantage of that a lot.

ah, i see. ya, i get all that...its just a whole lot easier to see when using tangible hardware and patches rather than software. but i'm impressed at how much potential this has. really powerful stuff...is there a tone generator too or are you using a different program for that?

Quote Originally Posted by PineapplePete View Post
    ah, i see. ya, i get all that...its just a whole lot easier to see when using tangible hardware and patches rather than software. but i'm impressed at how much potential this has. really powerful stuff...is there a tone generator too or are you using a different program for that?
    SuperCollider's core is a huge fuckload of bit level u gens. The generator used for that sample (which I literally threw together, it only scratches the surface of what you can do) is just a simple Sin Oscillator. There are noise generators, complex waveform generators, all kinds of filters, delays, everything in between.

Most ugens in supercollider have help files that include sample bits of code. There is a hotkey (apple shift D on macs) that will let you browse the different classes that contain help files. that sample code is the best way to start tweaking around.

I've used it for live processing as well. For live guitar effects, vocal stuff, and the like. It gets a lot trickier, but worth the pay off to have such low level control of every sound you want to make. There is a book that's a comprehensive guide book (that the creator, and others that are responsible for developing the core classes contributed to) coming out on MIT press later this year.

and you are right, hardware is way easier to tool around with. but if you've fucked around with much, and have a vague idea what's going on. the transition to software isn't as hard as you might think... Worth looking into if you have some uses for that kind of control.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 07-07-2008 at 09:52 PM.

I am going to be a dick and start a new thread as well, but I will post my band's first EP (essentially glorified demos) in here tomorrow.

Or now, because I won't be able to at work tomorrow.

Gigasize:

Megaupload:
    Last edited by bballarl; 07-07-2008 at 10:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefinitely Maybe View Post
    I make music.

A friend and I just finished working on some tracks, which are pretty different to the stuff I would normally do. Heavy guitars and beats.We don't have vocals yet though. I could post the instrumentals here, though, if anyone's interested.
    Stef - Email me some stuff and i'll try laying some vocals down when i'm back in blighty next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Stef - Email me some stuff and i'll try laying some vocals down when i'm back in blighty next week.
    Done. And I warned you it was heavy.

Internet collaboration is where it's at. Except you guys could collaborate in person, right?
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

SuperCollider's core is a huge fuckload of bit level u gens. The generator used for that sample (which I literally threw together, it only scratches the surface of what you can do) is just a simple Sin Oscillator. There are noise generators, complex waveform generators, all kinds of filters, delays, everything in between.

Most ugens in supercollider have help files that include sample bits of code. There is a hotkey (apple shift D on macs) that will let you browse the different classes that contain help files. that sample code is the best way to start tweaking around.

I've used it for live processing as well. For live guitar effects, vocal stuff, and the like. It gets a lot trickier, but worth the pay off to have such low level control of every sound you want to make. There is a book that's a comprehensive guide book (that the creator, and others that are responsible for developing the core classes contributed to) coming out on MIT press later this year.

and you are right, hardware is way easier to tool around with. but if you've fucked around with much, and have a vague idea what's going on. the transition to software isn't as hard as you might think... Worth looking into if you have some uses for that kind of control.
    ya, this seemed so daunting at first...but then i realized that its just OOP. if you think about it that way, its really simple. its amazing how fast you can pick up on this

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Internet collaboration is where it's at. Except you guys could collaborate in person, right?
    Yeah but collaborating in person is so last decade, dude.

In the future all music will be created by people who have never met each other before and just randomly jam and make sounds over each other's noises, like some giant orgasmic musical wankfest.

Intriguing.

It's simpler than that. It's additive synthesis.

Do you know what FM synthesis is? Basically the frequency of one signal is modulated with another. This is an instrument that has a matrix of modulations happening for 2-6 signals. So you can control really complex modulations that are interdependent. You can even make really complex beat patches if you want with an instrument like this. Most of what I did looks revolves around a primary signal that is punching through at 10-30hz, sub-hearing. It's modulated by a bunch of really slow signals that essentially add distinct rhythms (with uneven phases so you get prime interactions). Then the last signal in the matrix is a frequency that is audible (through most of that improv it hangs out at around 1200hz).

And when a signal is modulated with itself it introduces a lot of noise, I'm taking advantage of that a lot.
    Damn, if you think that's interesting, wait 'til you start hearing the sounds of a baby crying and having a tantrum! (Kidding.) BTW...Congrats again!
    Long live the rave tent! Die Hippy Scum.

I've been in a number of bands. Played in front of 20-30k people before, to playing to the bartenders/wait staff at a dive bar. Done the mini tour thing, riding in a cramped van with hung over bandmates, going from town to town. Sometimes playing 2 shows in one night at 2 different venues. Ahh, the memories...

I sincerely admire and respect all of you who are able to use technology to create. I'm just way too old school, I guess. Or, maybe I don't have the patience. I never used any processors for my guitar sound. Love the stomp pedals too much.

Some of my favorite work was in band called "47 Thieves". I'm still very proud of the songs I wrote in that band, even though they probably are a bit dated now (mid 90's). I'll have to load those up one these days.

Memorial_07

I'd post mine, but i don't think punk is too welcome in this board

Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    I'll have to load those up one these days.
    Yesss. I would like to hear.