Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pappy & Harriet's

Default Pappy & Harriet's

Hey y'all. I am going down to Pappy & Harriets this weekend for the first time. Just curious if any boardies have any input on the venue? Should I show up early? do performers play inside? outside? Are there places to visit around the area?

I was told Joshua Tree is not too far so I might spend time there in the afternoon. But yeah, any input on this venue would be appreciated. Making the trek from Ventura county all the way down there. Anyone plan on attending the SMD/Earth show this weekend?
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Default Re: Pappy & Harriet's

Yes, getbetter and I will be there.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

You'll have a great time. Take a light coat, cuz it gets a bit chilly there.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I haven't been myself, but the announcements for shows are very clear on whether performances will be on the outside or inside stage.

http://pappyandharriets.com/events/f...arth-7pm-doors

Also, taking 2 seconds to look at a fucking map (i know, the thing you HATE) might tell you how far Joshua Tree is from Pioneertown
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Check out this outdoor museum....
    http://noahpurifoy.com/

5/03 Danny Brown at El Rey
    5/23-25 Sasquatch! at The Gorge
    6/14-15 Low End Theory Festival at Echoplex
    6/22 Talib Kweli at Echoplex
    7/11 J5 / Quannum Projects at Greek Theatre Berkely
    8/25 - Nine Inch Nails / Soundgarden / Death Grips at Hollywood Bowl

Steak. Fuck the bands.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Whoa, Look at this wealth of info!

Drinkey, I do Hate looking at maps, much appreciated for the website info

Guedita, maybe I'll bump into the two of you there.

GPS, I WILL take a coat. thank you.

Trendsky, this was the type of thing i was hoping someone would post. i'll check it out!
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Quote Originally Posted by trendski View Post
    Check out this outdoor museum....
    http://noahpurifoy.com/
    Word. Very fun, cool place.

I watched the Oscars there once after a camping trip. I got the everything BBQ supreme combo (or whatever). Probably my only happy memory concerning the Oscars.

So then, I might as well get some food there yeah? Is it actually some quality stuff or what?

I have seen so many wonderful acts there, such as Rufus Wainwright, Peaches, Billie Corgan, Los Lobos, Leon Russell, just to name a few. I love the outdoor stage more than the indoor, because you can see from anywhere. When I saw Wanda Jackson there, inside, I was in the front row, and she made me sit on the floor because I was blocking her friends' views - I was the only one sitting - lol. There's a concert coming up with Eagles of Death Metal and Fatso Jetson that I am really looking forward to.

Just don't take a folding chair or a huge-ass camera. Their bathrooms are nasty, so take care of your business before arriving there.
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I'll be at the show Saturday, as well. Driving down solo from Las Vegas.

I'd be down to meet up with a few of you. sounds like I am driving solo as well. Might have an extra ticket if anyone is looking

[QUOTE=gaypalmsprings;2911988 There's a concert coming up with Eagles of Death Metal and Fatso Jetson that I am really looking forward to.

Just don't take a folding chair or a huge-ass camera. Their bathrooms are nasty, so take care of your business before arriving there.[/QUOTE]

both of these are great pieces of info. Ill have to look into that EoDM show

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Steak. Fuck the bands.
    Ahahaha, yeah, the steaks are REALLY good there. Giant. Seriously, order a steak. Unless you're vegan.

Great venue, you'll have fun. The Integratron and the Noah Purifoy Museum are each about a half hour away (in different directions).
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

How many people does this venue hold when the show is held outside?

Board drink meet up sounds like it should happen.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Not sure exactly -- maybe 500 or 600?

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    Ahahaha, yeah, the steaks are REALLY good there. Giant. Seriously, order a steak. Unless you're vegan.

Great venue, you'll have fun. The Integratron and the Noah Purifoy Museum are each about a half hour away (in different directions).
    Have you been to the integratron? Do you have to pay?

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    Have you been to the integratron? Do you have to pay?
    Nevermind. checked website. They are sold out on Saturday

Plus it's only open on specific weekends (unless you arrange for a private session), so if you want to go another time, check the website first. It is pretty trippy. Be advised these new-age-y vortex people that run the place take it very seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    So then, I might as well get some food there yeah? Is it actually some quality stuff or what?
    Pappy & Harriets may very well be my favourite restaurant in the entire world. Everything I have eaten there is top notch. I think the ribs are my absolute favourite. Their steaks, as others have mentioned, are some of the best you will ever eat as well. I also have nothing but praise for the brisket and pulled pork. Their catfish sandwich is also to die for. Get their loaded fries as well.

Seriously. You cannot go wrong at this place.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

...chili dog has these tender chunks of meat. Just ate and mouth is still watering thinking about it.

But you don't really need a jacket this time of year. Was out a few weeks ago and it was perfect inside and out wearing a tank-top (my Stone Roses hand-painted for our favorite 2013 festival). Took two hours to get seated and another to get served so beware (packed on Sat night with $15 cover caused by some R&B playing white boy with glasses). And it's impossible but, if you talk to her, try not to fall in love with Marion from Raiders of Lost Ark brunette hostess up front.

This place is great. Most likely will be out for The Sunday Band May 4th. Free.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    Took two hours to get seated and another to get served so beware
    Shit, really? Think it will be this crowded Saturday? I am making the trip from LA (likely solo), would be great to meet some SMD fans out there, pm me if you guys organize something.

7.23 - White Lung // 8.2-3 - HARD Summer // 8.7 - Jagwar Ma // 8.8 - Flume // 8.10 - Warpaint // 8.23-24 - FYF Fest // 9.5 - Feed Me // 10.8 - Kasabian // 10.12 - Speedy Ortiz // 10.25 - The Afghan Whigs // 10.31 - QotSA Halloween Show! // 4.10-12 - Coachella 2015 W1

Wait did Brandon make this thread before he bought tickets?

Pappy and Harriet's is an amazing Saloon.If your not staying in Pioneertown, You're going be face with driving 20 minutes through a winding road .
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I've seen getbetter and Devin the Dude at P&H's - at GANG GANG DANCE, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    Plus it's only open on specific weekends (unless you arrange for a private session), so if you want to go another time, check the website first. It is pretty trippy. Be advised these new-age-y vortex people that run the place take it very seriously.
    Did a private sound bath with the wife couple days before wkd1 this year. It was a very cool experience that I highly recommend and I'm not into the new-age-y vortex stuff at all myself. Agreed that they take it seriously though.
    Last edited by dancefreak; 04-23-2014 at 09:45 PM.
    ______
    1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I've seen getbetter and Devin the Dude at P&H's - at GANG GANG DANCE, if I recall correctly.
    Yup, I do remember seeing you at that show. Sadly I think that will be my only time seeing that band.

I try to make it to at least one Pappy & Harriet show a year. I don't think anything is going to top seeing Sleepy Sun on their Fever tour though and is one of my favorite show I've seen. A random person from Palm Springs who brought a projector got an ok from the band to do the whole live food coloring psychedelic visuals.Sleepy Sun with Rachael felt like to me just really on top of their game as well into the fact they were enjoying playing there.The duel vocals on certain songs with both of vocalist though out the show being multi instrumental; scratchers, shaker, as well Brett using Harmonicas was really impressive. I do remember hoping they would play and not getting Wild Machines.

The worst show I have seen would be Kurt Vile on one of his smoke ring for a halo tours with maybe 10- 25 people in the crowd. It was bad since he just played a few cords over and over again with his voice sounding really horrible on top of sound issues,hecklers at Kurt , and later between Chris Cunningham, his girlfriend, Kurt Vile, and myself, Kurt acting like an ass basically saying oh whatever about the show he got pre paid and just played the same cords over and over again . Which I still haven't felt the same about his music since that show.

The food is really good, I love billiards and they have two tables , and indoor does kinda suck but the ambiance of the whole town; isolation and a western theme, is powerful enough to me that I'm forgiving. If you are going to eat, go early so you can focus on getting a good spot if you're indoor.If in front of the stage is packed I usually will go to the right side of the stage and stand from that perceptive.I've only seen Kurt Vile Outdoor so I really can't judge that part of the venue besides the beer service is faster outdoor than in.
    Last edited by getbetter; 04-23-2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason: an
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Wait did Brandon make this thread before he bought tickets?

Pappy and Harriet's is an amazing Saloon.If your not staying in Pioneertown, You're going be face with driving 20 minutes through a winding road .
    Nah brah. I bought tickets when they went on sale.

I am probably going to drive back after the show, as to not miss the Conejo Chili cook off on Sunday Man....that drives going to SUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Pappy & Harriets may very well be my favourite restaurant in the entire world. Everything I have eaten there is top notch. I think the ribs are my absolute favourite. Their steaks, as others have mentioned, are some of the best you will ever eat as well. I also have nothing but praise for the brisket and pulled pork. Their catfish sandwich is also to die for. Get their loaded fries as well.

Seriously. You cannot go wrong at this place.
    Absolutely agree. Especially about the catfish sandwich, oddly enough it's the best I've ever had and that's saying something. Every trip (1-2 times a year) when I fly out to CA, I always make a point of stopping there for that damn catfish. Went there a week ago as the Pixies were setting up, destroyed that sandwich with extreme prejudice.

Their nachos (even the vegan/bean ones) are also out of this world.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

I stood next to the capacity sign during little dragon, and for an outside show cap. is around 1100. Can also confirm the 2 hour wait for a table, but that was pretty close to show time (been there twice, Cold War Kids inside and Little Dragon outside), so prob not as bad if you get there extra early.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -