5 5.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Underrated Beck album?

Lightbulb Most Underrated Beck album?

Mellow Gold is what got his name out there, so no

easily NOT Odelay!

Midnite Vultures is wildy hailed (by me mostly) as his sextacy album

Sea Change is universally agreed upon as fucking beautiful in every sense

Guero was his apparant return to form, but hated on my a good amount of people (hmm...)

The Information is a good but not fucking awesome album (great songs but as a whole, it lacks a bit)

which leads me to Mutations, it had the displeasure of being the album AFTER Odelay!, and seems to be overlooked by many, he went a totally different route than from what he did with Odelay! but the album is quite a delight to listen to, and c'mon, it gave us Tropicalia!

I give Guero a solid second only because I think it's pure genius and I believe he's trying to tell a story with those songs (just look at the titles of the last 4or so songs)

so what do you guys think?

p.s.- I intentionally did not include steropathetic soulmanure, one foot in the grave or that other one whose name slips me
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Default Re: Most Underrated Beck album?

I personally really enjoyed Guero, and still do.

HELL YES
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I think they're all great, but in terms of being underrated I went with Mutations, just edging out Sea Change. I think the quirkier, beat-driven stuff gets more attention, but he's also so good at doing spare, somber music.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Was never able to fully get into Guero but I would put the most underrated Beck album as Midnight Vultures. That album is fun and has the best Beck song ever. Debra.

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    I think they're all great, but in terms of being underrated I went with Mutations, just edging out Sea Change.
    Sea Change wasn't underrated. It got 5 stars from Rolling Stone and was his first album to make the top ten us charts.

wasnt Odelay! a big hit faxy?

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

I midnight vultures.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I voted for Mutations, but Midnite Vultures is a close second. I remember I was playing MV in my car, and one of my friends asked if it was a new Beck album. This was when it had been out for at least 2 years. Ouch.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Someone threw on 'Mutations' while me and some friends were tripping hard and 'Cold Brains' really was a perfect thing to hear right then, especially after years of not really listening to it. Also, why the fuck not include Stereopathetic Soulmanure, One Foot In The Grave (the true winner for most underrated), Golden Feelings, Western Harvest Field, etcetcec? Those are goddamned good albums.

Mutations and Midnight Vultures are def under-rated but I think Mellow Gold is even more so. Mellow Gold is excellent but gets gets overshadowed as a whole by Loser and often over-looked with all of the well deserved fawning over Odelay.

08/27 Jamie XX - The Mohawk
    08/31 Little Dragon - The Moody Theater
    10/02 Beck - Stubb's
    10/03 Rhye - The Paramount
    09/12 GvsB IV w/Panda Bear, SOPHIE, DOSS, Ejecta - Granada Theater
    09/21 IHEARTCOMIX + Hyperdub 10 - Empire
    09/23 Andy Stott/Millie + Andrea - The North Door
    11/7,8,9 Fun Fun Fun - Auditorium Shores
    11/17 Blonde Redhead - The Mohawk
    11/23 Caribou, Jessy Lanza - The Mohawk
    11/26 FKA Twigs - The Parish

07, 08, 09, 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

Its tough for me to consider any Beck album underrated, as I've heard people constantly rave about anything the man has ever done

I would've said Stereopathetic SoulManure, because it has some interesting stuff on it, and a lot of casual fans don't even know it exists
    '99-'11...

that album is automatically underrated since its not so well known, which is why I didnt include it (or the others)

pubes
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Was never able to fully get into Guero but I would put the most underrated Beck album as Midnight Vultures. That album is fun and has the best Beck song ever. Debra.
    Hell yea!

Sea Change wasn't underrated. It got 5 stars from Rolling Stone and was his first album to make the top ten us charts.
    Ooopps… I guess I voted wrong. I just never really listened to it until recently. It's a really good cd.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyWonder View Post
    Mutations and Midnight Vultures are def under-rated but I think Mellow Gold is even more so. Mellow Gold is excellent but gets gets overshadowed as a whole by Loser and often over-looked with all of the well deserved fawning over Odelay.
    Yeah, I love “Steal My Body Home”

Quote Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
    Its tough for me to consider any Beck album underrated
    Very true, Beck is the man.

Have you guys heard the Beck and Flamming Lips Live cd? It is from a radio station and it's pretty good too. Basically the FLIPS picked their favorite Beck songs and Beck played them with the FLIPS...or something like that.

that sounds so fucking magical. i need to get my hands on it

I voted Sea Change. Sad Beck rules!
    2008, 2009, 2011, 2012-2, 2013-1...

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    HELL YES
    I don't like the version of 'Hell Yes' on Guero. It's all about the Ghettochip Malfunction remix. That's one of the funkiest songs I've ever heard.

remixes don't really count though woogie

Midnite Vultures is such a fuckin excellent cd.... def has my fav songs on it...
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Midnite Vultures isnt underrated though, Mutations is dammit!

Yea, I have a tough time arguing with that. Mutations is definitely one of the best and it's underrated because I don't think i was released like the others. This was sort of released as an experimental leftovers cd if I recall, actually I just looked it up and it wasn't leftovers but it was recorded in 14days!

I normally give them shit and generally dislike pitchfork but back in 98' for this Mutations review, they fucking nail it!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...Beck_Mutations

A 9.0 review

If you've been keeping up with your reading, you've by now ingested a glowing review or two of Beck's latest release, Mutations. No doubt, you've read that he recorded the album's twelve songs in fourteen days after completing the Odelay tour. And surely you know that the album was co-produced by Nigel Godrich, who was at least partially responsible for Radiohead's OK Computer. All this background information was most certainly followed by heaps of praise for the songs on the album and the treatments they get at the hands of Godrich and Beck.

So I'm in a bit of a spot here. How can I tell you something about the album you don't already know? How about this one: it's better than Odelay. Now let me qualify that statement. There are some who will tell you that Beck's last album is a masterwork of late 20th century American culture; I'm not one of them. On that landmark 1996 release, Beck fully realized his oft-heralded command of an unfathomable range of musical genres. It was a fantastically successful album, both financially and musically. But slightly lost in that jumbled collage of sounds and influences was the synergy of the album as a whole. In his efforts to plaster his genius credentials as subtly as a billboard, he failed to create the sense of unity that is a trademark of every true masterpiece. Ultimately, Odelay was a somewhat disjointed collection of great songs.

On Mutations, Beck's traded in his two turntables and microphone for a Moog synth and a copy of the Kinks' Muswell Hillbillies. Here, he fully explores his obsession with the 60s. He's always shared Ray Davies' ear for a tune and flair for the theatrical, but on "Bottle of Blues", he manages to co-opt the old Brit's voice, too. Yet, what makes Beck special is his ability to infuse his own musical identity into the lifted lines. Like Davies' Hillbillies and even Neil Young's Tonight's the Night, Mutations initially flows so easily that it sounds rudimentary. It's that very flow that's missing on Odelay, and subsequent listens reveal the complex details creating it. It's like pressing your nose against an impressionist painting to examine the thousands of meticulously placed brush dabs that make up the seascape.

If the backbone of the album is a string of rootsy melodies-- some of the best Beck has ever penned-- its mood is definitely driven by Godrich's patented pre-millennial assortment of buzzes, bleeps and quirks, giving it the spacy urgency of OK Computer, and leaving us with a beautifully futuristic roots album. A perfect example of this is the addendum to the album's last track, on which dueling lasers fire over a riff swiped off of the Beatles' Revolver.

Unfortunately, with the music biz buzz awaiting the release of Odelay's proper follow-up (due next year), Mutations will most likely be praised and then forgotten. Its low budget, soft-spoken demeanor, and lack of a standout single will surely count against it. For that to happen would be tragic. Beck is clearly working on a level most others can only dream of, and Mutations is proof of that. It seems impossible that his next album could be any better, but I can't wait to find out.

- Neil Lieberman, November 1, 1998

stereopathetic soulmanure

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Seeing as Mutations is his best album, it's a pretty easy choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I'm partial to Sea Change because of the whole 're-invent yourself' thing, but I like all his albums.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Seeing as Mutations is his best album, it's a pretty easy choice.
    Wow, we sorta agree here. Weird

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

I know, it's bizarre for you to be in the right about something, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Seriously.

stereopathetic soulmanure

yeah mutations wasnt meant to be released it was kinda beck just doing a side project and the label made him release it.

i voted for midnight vultures though. thats his best imo
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pocketphotography/
    i shoot all the shows you want to go to