Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody Got Any Ideas For Getting Away With Resume Exaggerations?

Default Re: Anybody Got Any Ideas For Getting Away With Resume Exaggerations?

Hey, here's an idea that for some reason English departments around the fucking country have failed to ever entertain: how about... you assign them books that might actually stimulate their rapidly burgeoning assimilation into the grown world? They're not fucking babies although you bastards insist on treating them like they are to create a lovely self-fulfilling and uneducational prophecy.

Know one way to engage kids in 2008? Pick a fucking book that was written in the last fifty years in THIS reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

problem with assimilation is that it makes an ass out of u and me
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Know one way to engage kids in 2008? Pick a fucking book that was written in the last fifty years in THIS reality.
    Suggestions please.

I'm teaching summer school. I have a lot more freedom with what we can read in that setting - ironically.

I couldn't give a fuck. I'm not paying any of those fucks just to get a degree that means nothing of any importance.
    If the degree is unimportant, why bother to lie about it on a resume?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

also, this story is from 2001:

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- George O'Leary resigned as Notre Dame football coach five days after being hired, admitting he lied about his academic and athletic background.

O'Leary claimed to have a master's degree in education and to have played college football for three years, but checks into his background showed it wasn't true.

"Due to a selfish and thoughtless act many years ago, I have personally embarrassed Notre Dame, its alumni and fans," O'Leary said in a statement released Friday by the university.

A biography released by Notre Dame on Sunday when it announced his hiring said O'Leary received a master's degree from New York University in 1972. O'Leary was a student there but did not receive a degree, said John Beckman, assistant vice president for public affairs at NYU.

O'Leary, 55, also never earned a letter playing football at New Hampshire even though his biography says he earned three. In fact, the school said he never played in a game.

O'Leary said he regretted not telling Notre Dame officials about the inaccuracies before he was hired.

"Many years ago, as a young married father, I sought to pursue my dream as a football coach," he said. "In seeking employment I prepared a resume that contained inaccuracies regarding my completion of course work for a master's degree and also my level of participation in football at my alma mater. These misstatement were never stricken from my resume or biographical sketch in later years."

The sudden resignation was one of the most embarrassing blows to the storied Notre Dame football program, famous for Rockne, Leahy, the Four Horsemen and winning one "for the Gipper."

"The integrity and credibility of Notre Dame is impeccable and with that in mind, I will resign my position as head football coach," O'Leary's statement said. His resignation was effective Thursday.

Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White said O'Leary acknowledged problems in his biographical materials, "including his academic background."

"I understand that these inaccuracies represent a very human failing; nonetheless, they constitute a breach of trust that makes it impossible for us to go forward with our relationship," White said.

The search for a new coach will begin immediately, White said, raising the possibility the AD might again turn his attention to Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden.

With recruiting entering a dead period from Monday through Jan. 3, there is no longer the same sense of urgency to hire a coach than there was two weeks ago.

"I can't understand how you could go all those years and not catch or correct it," former Notre Dame coach Ara Parseghian said.

Notre Dame quarterback Carlyle Holiday was surprised by the news.

"It's a big shock," he said in an interview with Sporting News radio on Friday. "I never knew anything could happen like this before. [We've] just got to keep going on and find a new coach in a hurry ... try to get things going."

O'Leary, who left Georgia Tech on Sunday to become coach of the Irish, is listed in his biography in the Georgia Tech media guide as a three-time letter-winner at New Hampshire at offensive line and fullback. It also was included in a biography handed out by Notre Dame after his hiring to replace Bob Davie was announced.

But O'Leary went to New Hampshire only for two years, and never made it into a game.

O'Leary transferred to New Hampshire after two years at the University of Dubuque in Iowa. He said he was on the New Hampshire team in 1967 and 1968, but was unable to play his first year because of mononucleosis, and did not play his second year because of a knee injury.

Casey Robin, an offensive guard for the Irish who completed his eligibility this fall, said he agreed with O'Leary's decision to resign.

"He was talking about loyalty and even honesty, and obviously he didn't live up to that expectation," Robin said. "The team needs some honesty and loyalty from a coach."

Officials with Georgia Tech's athletic department did not immediately return a call Friday seeking comment.

Though O'Leary has said he was not sure how the information got into his biography, a document obtained by The Union Leader of Manchester (N.H) indicates he listed the information when hired as a coach at Syracuse in 1980.

According to the school's sports information department, coaches and athletes personally filled out the biographical forms. The newspaper reported Friday that O'Leary's documents list "Univ. of New Hampshire - 3 yr. lettered" as part of his athletic background.

The sports information department at New Hampshire said it has no record of O'Leary on a football roster, and that it does not keep records of letter winners.

O'Leary is listed as a 1968 graduate of New Hampshire with a degree in physical education.

"I just am surprised and shocked that he had to resign because of something like this," current New Hampshire football coach Sean McDonnell said. "It's awful, awful sad. He's a tremendous football coach. I've followed his career with interest. From the times I've talked to him, I know him as a guy with great integrity."

O'Leary was 52-33 in seven seasons at Georgia Tech, helping it earn five straight bowl invitations for the first time since the 1950s.

Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    just don't open your mouth & you should be fine
    05-20-2008, 02:14 PM #164
    thelastgreatman
    Humble Pie

Re: Best Albums to Make Babies To

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... are you retarded? Where in the fuck did you possibly get the impression that I EVER shut up?

I'll be as gone as a wild goose in winter.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Huh BD? I think you might be broken again.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Suggestions please.

I'm teaching summer school. I have a lot more freedom with what we can read in that setting - ironically.
    Hmm... Stranger In A Strange Land might not be off limits. There's reference to sexuality and they mention characters being nude, but nothing scatalogical really that I can think of. Heinlein's a great author to work off of for young adults: Starship Troopers stimulates genuinely thought-provoking new perspectives on democracy, military duty, war. The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress as well. I'd have to think a little harder after I've had some sleep to think of other decent books fit for 13 year olds. Starship Troopers, believe it or not, is probably one of the best books you could assign to developing minds.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    If the degree is unimportant, why bother to lie about it on a resume?
    Because the world is cruel and unfair and they judge me based on silly factors on a piece of paper.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzz View Post
    fuck the degree what about your urine sample??
    Ha,ha,ha, that's the first thing I thought too!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Passing a piss test is so easy I'm not even thinking about it. I don't think it's part of the deal anyway though, I assume it would have been mentioned.

Because the world is cruel and unfair and they judge me based on silly factors on a piece of paper.
    Regardless of whether or not you think it's silly, others do not. And it's a well-known fact that a college degree is a requirement for getting certain jobs, it's not like it's some secret code.

where I work if someone were discovered to have lied about something like that they would be out on their ass within the hour. Even many of those people who think a college degree is "silly" would likely agree that honesty is important.

Regardless of whether or not you think it's silly, others do not. And it's a well-known fact that a college degree is a requirement for getting certain jobs, it's not like it's some secret code.

where I work if someone were discovered to have lied about something like that they would be out on their ass within the hour. Even many of those people who think a college degree is "silly" would likely agree that honesty is important.
    I think that I'm in IT and my English degree or lack thereof is fucking irrelevant. If we're discounting everyone who's resume is the slightest bit untruthful, well fuck, Tom.

Also, I don't really care about the moral angle. I recognize that it's not exactly right. At the same time, I'm an exemplary employee and frankly I have this coming to me.

Huh BD? I think you might be broken again.
    Algunz your dad teaches at UCI? whats his name? maybe i've had him as a professor

Some people might find that stating you have a degree when you actually don't is more than a slight bit untruthful.

But it's not really a moral angle, it's a practical angle. it's more like "If this guy lied to me about this, what else is he going to lie to me about? Do I really want to trust him with __________?"

Recruiters not checking job applicants' education seriously annoys me since I actually did all the work, spent a little money, and got my degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Suggestions please.

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

I loved school from the first day I walked in till the last day I walked out …. I think I got “positive” thoughts about school from day one because my teacher worked at night at a club as a dancer and all us boys loved her (this was at Bordeaux France and in front of my house was a field of flowers, everyday that there were flowers growing, I would bring her a small bouquet … and when there were no flowers, we would cut cork off the cork trees and make little figures .. when I graduated from high school (Yokohama, Japan) I knew I was going to conquer the world and I couldn’t wait to take it on) well that didn’t happen, but what wonderful and exciting years …. X****
    Sorry there I go and be positive again in this discussion …..
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

****ron just kicked mah ass again
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I loved school from the first day I walked in till the last day I walked out …. I think I got “positive” thoughts about school from day one because my teacher worked at night at a club as a dancer and all us boys loved her (this was at Bordeaux France and in front of my house was a field of flowers, everyday that there were flowers growing, I would bring her a small bouquet … and when there were no flowers, we would cut cork off the cork trees and make little figures .. when I graduated from high school (Yokohama, Japan) I knew I was going to conquer the world and I couldn’t wait to take it on) well that didn’t happen, but what wonderful and exciting years …. X****
    Sorry there I go and be positive again in this discussion …..
    Ron, you lived all over the world as a child. That must have been fascinating and you are very lucky to have the experiences you have. What kind of job did your father have?

It was the good ole military …. I don’t think it is the same now, but back then the military schools were cool because they were considered some of the best schools in their respective countries … so along with us military brats, were the rich kids from the states, and the rich kids from the respective country …. I really think we got a quality education back then at those schools (even though I cant spell worth a crap I know, and I ramble a lot, English was not my major) … for the first 25 years or so, I never lived in the same state or country for more then two years … for some that was hard, for me, hey it was just an opportunity to see new places and meet new people … I could be ready to move in about 4 hours on a whim lol … x****

Ron, do you think Randy would make a good military man?

My mother threatened to send me to a military school at one point. I kept telling her there was no way in hell I'd ever stay there and she kept ignoring me until finally one day she was serious and I had to stop her for a second to make it clear: under no circumstances would I stay there. Not run away, but ensure that I got kicked out. She flinched briefly, searching my no doubt crazed eyes for some indication of what I had in mind. She tried to claim that they'd never kick me, they'd break me and put me in line. I sighed, put my hands on her shoulders and explained slowly: "Mom, you don't get it. I don't like being told what to do and I fucking hate the military even more than I hate schools. I will do whatever it takes. Get it? I'll burn the fucking place down. I'll poison the whole school. Whatever it's going to take to get it through to you--no cocksucking teachers are pushing me around while I am a free man and this is America. Okay?"

She dropped the subject. To address your question Tom--have you ever lied on a resume at all? Do you think that every person who does is untrustworthy? Is there no line of morality and ethics between what one might do in order to get a job they are qualified for and their behavior in the course of their duties?

Ever fibbed in an interview?

She dropped the subject. To address your question Tom--have you ever lied on a resume at all? Do you think that every person who does is untrustworthy? Is there no line of morality and ethics between what one might do in order to get a job they are qualified for and their behavior in the course of their duties?

Ever fibbed in an interview?
    no, not *every* person no, maybe but why risk it, no.

Young blood

Just do it already.

Pussy.

You will probably end up hating the job and quit. If not just break off the lonley hr lady a piece to keep quiet.

Ron, do you think Randy would make a good military man?
    i think randy thinks it might work, but only if he was in charge and no one is ever in charge, or everyone thinks they are in charge .... strange life in some ways .... randy, i said the same thing about going into the military, i swore i was going to go to canada and be a CO, then one weekend i just got a wild hair and joined the air force ... ya never know i guess .... x****

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i think the point is while you may have a good reason for lying or not having a degree, someone else doesn't know that. i interview people. i barely know them, so i don't have much to judge them by accept their word and their credentials. if i knew them well, i could overlook a small lie or the fact that they don't have a degree, but i don't know them from adam so why should i just take their word that they'll do a good job? that's all we've got to judge you on. especially when there's hundreds of resumes. easy way to weed them out, get rid of the ones without degrees. or get rid of the ones that lie, or mispell something, or just word things funny. there are 80 million reasons for them not to hire you, don't give them 80 million and one.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

no, not *every* person no, maybe but why risk it, no.
    Okay, so an even better question: why the hell did you even engage this conversation? You know my policies, the result of this exchange can't be surprising. Aren't we just beating our head against the rock here, you impressively ethical bastard you?

Desperate times...

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Just do it already.

Pussy.

You will probably end up hating the job and quit. If not just break off the lonley hr lady a piece to keep quiet.
    Do what? I got the job, this thread question is resolved. Keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    i think randy thinks it might work, but only if he was in charge and no one is ever in charge, or everyone thinks they are in charge .... strange life in some ways .... randy, i said the same thing about going into the military, i swore i was going to go to canada and be a CO, then one weekend i just got a wild hair and joined the air force ... ya never know i guess .... x****
    Ron, I think you and I are a little different in terms of our willingness to be reasonable and make the best of a situation. I'm not better, in fact I'm worse. But chain of command does not last very long with me. Call it a mental dysfunction.

Ivy, let's you and me run off somewhere and pretend to make babies for a decade or two.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Ivy, let's you and me run off somewhere and pretend to make babies for a decade or two.
    just fill out this educational background check and we're good to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

One of the questions that I always hated on a job app( and our lie detector thingy) was “have you ever stole anything from your prior company” … now who hasn’t walked out with a pen in their pocket or something like that … the only thing I ever took from anywhere I worked was a printer but IT had thrown it in the dumpster (worked great, we just go a new operating system and it no longer worked) .. The rule here was, you could not dumpster dive … so was that stealing, I don’t know … that question and “have you ever done HARD drugs lately” what the flip does that mean anyway …. X****