View Poll Results: How do you rate this year's lineup?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Approve I love it!

    43 44.79%
  • Approve It's OK

    32 33.33%
  • Average

    16 16.67%
  • I Disapprove

    4 4.17%
  • I'm Disgusted

    1 1.04%
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

  1. #1
    Coachella Junkie PlayaDelWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    7,375

    Default ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    Now that things have wrapped up, what do you think about the 2014 LINEUP? Not your experience, or the crowd, but the actual LINEUP?

    Here are the (slowly reaching) results going into the fest.

    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

  2. #2
    Coachella Junkie Mr. Dylanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Nix
    Posts
    18,038

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    The guests pushed it way up for me.

  3. #3
    Member arthurbang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    I'm still rating it average... it was a "good" Coachella for me, but I've been to better. My wife and I usually have 7 or 8 bands a day we are excited to see. This year that's about all we were REALLY excited about for the whole weekend, but it still worked out. Favorite sets included Beck, Arcade Fire, Courtney Barnett, Future Islands, Little Dragon, Holy Ghost!, Classixx, Pixies, Jon Spencer...

  4. #4

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    I gave it a 4 pre-fest but I'm giving it a 3 now. I think the biggest reason is the lack of quality EDM acts after sunset. Darkside was the only one who I really got into unless you count the Knife and Pet Shop Boys. Overall I'd call it my least favorite year dance music wise (been going since 2009).

    I will say that Sunday going from Beck -> Motorhead -> Arcade Fire was a really cool way to close the festival. All 3 acts exceeded my expectations.

  5. #5
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    My ratings are anonymous.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  6. #6
    Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Duluth Minnesota
    Posts
    8,625

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    Adding JC and the Pixies should give it a little boost.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

  7. #7
    old school SepaGroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    3,220

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    This year was fun, but I've been to better Coachellas.

  8. #8
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    41,040

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    I am the jerkass who voted disapprove even though I had a great time. I voted disapprove because I have high standards, and Saturday really was the single worst lineup day in Coachella history. If I were going to give an overall rating (not just on the lineup) it would be higher because of the craft beer barn.

  9. #9
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    The quality and approval of the lineup is essentially a moot point now, since Coachella will sell out regardless of the lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  10. #10

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    The quality and approval of the lineup is essentially a moot point now, since Coachella will sell out regardless of the lineup.
    Yep. Miss the presale at your own peril!
    I arrived in America's airport with clothings, US dollars, and a jar of gypsy tears to protect me from AIDS.

  11. #11
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,181

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    We drove out on Saturday just for Queens of the Stone Age since I have been waiting over a decade to see them on the fields so no way I was missing out, also caught all of mgmt and loved their set, listened to foster from backstage while awaiting Queens. I had no qualms missing the rest of the weekend this year, the lineup really did nothing for me whatsoever. Have been every year since 2004 and felt totally fine checking into the webcast for the rest of the weekends performances.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 05-05-2014 at 04:19 AM.

  12. #12
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,833

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    I voted "Average," but it was a close with "I disapprove." A handful of excellent sets saved the weekend.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Around the way
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    In the end, I had one of the best weekends ever. Not just the line up, but everything that went on during the entire trip plays a factor in my approval rating.

  14. #14

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    Sorry to see that some of you weren’t that happy with the lineup this year. I loved it.

    When it came out I listed a fair number of acts that I knew who I was excited about, and added quite a few more to my list researching acts previously unknown to me. The late add of the Pixies was fantastic for me because I’ve liked their music since Surfer Rosa was first released (I was a youngster in my 30s then) but I’d somehow managed to never catch them live before.

    Then the wife and I enjoyed the hell out of most of the actual performances we checked out. Made us even happier that we did both weekends for the first time. Started early and went till closing all 6 days. Had a blast, and the lineup was the most important part of that.

    All told we caught more than 40 acts, with lots of repeats, and most of them full sets. Only a couple were disappointing, and a few were just ok. Most were good/very good, and more than a few (like Jagwar Ma, Mogwai, Arcade Fire, Woodkid, Rudimental, Darkside, others) were excellent.

    The three days on both weekends were roughly equal for us, with Saturday maybe pulling slightly ahead as we enjoyed good-to-wonderful performances from Unlocking the Truth (those kids kicked ass), Temples, Chvrches, Holy Ghost, Washed Out, Warpaint, Future Islands, Lorde (man, I was not expecting her set to be that good), the Pixies (finally, though sadly no Kim Deal), QOTSA, Mogwai (fantastic, melt your face off), Darkside (also fantastic, especially WE 2 with no sound system or visuals issues), TEED, and the Dismemberment Plan.

    Only been going since 2009 so I can’t comment on earlier years, but no way Saturday 2014 was “the single worst lineup day in Coachella history”. TomAz and I will just have to disagree about that.

    You say it’s because you have “high standards”. Perhaps you do – that’s terrific. I say it’s mostly because you don’t happen to like very many of the good Saturday music acts I just listed, which took going both weekends to catch them all.

    I’d be the same way, I suppose, about pretty much any day any year at Stagecoach. Not due to any self-ascribed “high standards”, though, but because no matter how well-crafted or well-performed, I just don’t like contemporary country music.

  15. #15
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ (POST-fest)

    This one is dropping like a rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-28-2014, 02:14 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-15-2013, 12:08 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 03:04 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-16-2012, 09:39 PM
  5. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 07:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •