Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coachella 2008: The Big Picture

Default Coachella 2008: The Big Picture

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/news...679299,00.html

Something I wrote up for a website I write for... Not intended to get people all riled up about my opinions regarding certain bands (it's not a review), but rather to inspire some conversation and see what other people remember most about the Coachella big picture, not just the standout bands and performances.

My intention in writing this was to hopefully give myself (and others) the opportunity to express what it is about Coachella that we might miss at a lot of the other shows we go to throughout the year. Maybe by jarring those thoughts, that Coachella spirit could last a lot longer throughout the year... Or maybe not. But if it jars anything at all, it already paid dividends...

Paul

Default Re: Coachella 2008: The Big Picture

Your taste sucks, your article sucks. You suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Wow... slamming Prince, Portishead and Kraftwerk?... Weak shit.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

You contradict yourself here:

But with dance music, it's not about the lyrics, and it's not about the band that is delivering the song. It is about the energy that is transferred between the artist and the person hearing and processing the music and sounds. It is about the translation of that sound into a kinetic reaction, dancing. It's a primal reaction that is based on nothing more than our instinct when we hear the sounds that are delivered to us. Itís pure, unadulterated and the absolute enjoyment of music in its minimalistic sense. It is a rush in both the physical and spiritual sense of the word. The bond is profound, and the reaction is immediate.
    Having the opportunity to see [Kraftwerk] was a highlight heading into the festival, but didnít have the enduring impact of so many other acts on the bill. I attribute that to the fact that they were so robotic in their presentation, I felt as if I was watching a movie more than be a part of a performance. It was nice to watch, but I didn't find it particularly engaging to experience (there's that word again).
    First you state that dance/electronic music is different from more traditional rock/pop music in that the image of the [electronic] artist is more often clouded by the actual music. Which is true, and nobody would say that it should be any other way.

Then you go on to say that you don't have a particularly strong connection Kraftwerk (and other acts) and then go on basically to fault them because their image wasn't cool or "engaging" enough for you. Apparently in a genre where, by your own words, image and sound are for the sake of argument a 30/70 split, the music of Kraftwerk (or Portishead) was unable to move you.

Its fine that you may not particularly like Kraftwerk's music, or their German-robot motif, but to fault their performance because of your own personal bias is unprofessional as both a writer and a music fan.

For instance I don't like Pink Floyd, so I didn't see Waters. Had I been there, I certainly wouldn't have sat through almost 3 hours of PF material and then said "boring, I wasn't engaged". Its not Waters' fault that I don't like his music.

Your article is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Your taste sucks, your article sucks. You suck.
    What he said
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.
    wait.
    no, nevermind.
    yaaawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

And yes, for certain artists, it *is* necessary to have a mosh pit.

Sure, there shouldn't be a pit at Death Cab. But you aren't going to see GB *anywhere* without a pit, and there's no good reason for Coachella to be different ... and so like everything else, it should depend on which band is up and what's appropriate for that setting.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Mods, please destroy thread.

Thank you.

If Randy hadn't been the first reponder to this thread, I wonder where this would have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrael View Post
    And yes, for certain artists, it *is* necessary to have a mosh pit.

Sure, there shouldn't be a pit at Death Cab. But you aren't going to see GB *anywhere* without a pit, and there's no good reason for Coachella to be different ... and so like everything else, it should depend on which band is up and what's appropriate for that setting.
    I disagree....there absolutely should be a mosh pit at Death Cab, only it should be located on stage, and the band should be torn limb from limb while they whine....it could be something beautiful to behold
    '99-'11...

Respond, react, reply, that's all I want... It's not about my opinion, because my opinion is worth no more than anyone else's. It's about people not being afraid to speak their opinion when it's not popular, and being able to take it when they are flamed and not feel like less of a person for it. I never said any band was bad, or that any band wasn't as good (or better) than anyone else. Why am I less of a person for not "getting" a certain band? Say whatever you want about me, it doesn't make me lose sleep at night, and it doesn't make you or I any less or more of a person. We all love music, and that's the common bond. We don't have to love the same music to share the same feelings...

Vic, I understand what you're saying--Please understand, I don't dislike Kraftwerk. I just think they might have been better suited for a different stage. My role as a "critic" isn't to be overly critical because that's what I get paid to do, it's to expose what, as a fan, either did, or might have, made a show a success. If I think a show is brilliant, I'll say so. If I don't think it is, I'll say so. It doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. It's just what I do. And I thank God every day that this is what I get to do for a living. The great thing about what I do is, hopefully I inspire people to react, and that spark is what reminds people that they are alive.

This isn't a review of any band, and people who read my words close enough will see that. It's just my interpretation of what I saw, and how it ended up affecting my overall impression of the weekend. At the end of the day, I'm no different than anyone else who reads this board, my career path just led me to different place than the rest of you.

Algunz, thank you. The reality is, I love Coachella as much, if not more, than the next person, and the sparks it creates are the reasons why.

Flame on, and peace out.

Fail.

I havent read the whole thing but i do know that judging a show from the VIP area is no way to judge a show.
    You are so far removed from the show you get lost.
    Perhaps Roger Waters and his shiny toys kept your interest but I dont know, when I was watching prince i really wasnt paying attention to anyone else but maybe the chick in front of me crying through some of his songs, it was a great powerful performance.

now i have read the whole thing, yeah it just went downhill...to say Justice was better that Portishead is really sad.

I do not believe in telling someone they are wrong but yeah your assessment of coachella was wrong and off. sorry.

Get out of the VIP area and enjoy yourself. Get over controlling who can and cant get where and just let people be, step back shake your tail with them and let them be on their way.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

Thanks for posting your article. I won't bash you for having a different opinion than the people on this board.
    Hello my name is Johnny Polite and they are going to kill me...
    Concert Calendar:
    Burning Hotels 1.14 | The Kills 1.23 | Adam Ant 2.7 | Girls 3.9 | Dr. Dog 3.11 | Neon Indian 3.13 | Andrew Bird 3.15| Band of Skulls 3.17

twitter.com/thechris104
    youtube.com/thechris104
    granadatheater.com

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Justice a better performance than Portishead?!?

I'm glad I didn't read. lol

"And Portishead? What can I say… I tried. But not being a fan of their music heading in, it was a bit overwhelming to try and comprehend in the live setting. I'm not disputing their talent, just being honest enough to admit that it just wasn't my thing that night. While it sure is nice to have the chance to witness the legends live in a setting like Coachella, sometimes it can be just as nice to discover something new and inspiring. Just think of it this way: The hard rock fans that Justice can win over today just might be the newfound dance fans that give the scene a jolt of fresh blood tomorrow. We all need to start somewhere..."

He never said Justice was better than Portishead, he just stated that he enjoyed justice more. You people need to learn to read.

Its fucking opinions people, stfu.

Right, cause stating which you enjoyed more is not remotely the same as stating which was better. You are a dumb fucking cunt.

I hate people that think their opinion counts. Mine is the only one that does.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Kreutz, why didn't we get together and hump at Coach this year?

I knew your ass would be sore. I did you a favor.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

It's better when it's sore.

I'm not going to get mad at you because you have a shitty opinion because that has already been done. I just think you're a shitty writer. You mention that Aphex was the one you were glad to see but you left part way through. A little bit earlier you said that you hated people who came in part way and left part way.

I don't like mosh pits very much personally and it makes me feel old but it's something that happens at a concert. I'm sure the 3 people who saw Enter Shikari were in a mosh pit of sadness.

You can say that Prince and Kraftwerk sucked if you want but both artists basically performed their asses off(Kraftwork had their robots for fucks sake!). You try to say that the article isn't a review but in a way it is. Would you get someone's grandma who thinks rap is terrible to review the new NERD album(only for a laugh). So basically you are saying you feel left down because your favorite artists weren't playing and the Hoff molested you. I'm sure you're not the first.

/\ I like the sound of a mosh pit of sadness
    '99-'11...

Quote Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
    /\ I like the sound of a mosh pit of sadness
    Poetic, isn't it.
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

The thing is, its just not very well written. IMO.

well I felt like I was being mean if I said something mean. They watched Enter Shikari. Haven't they suffered enough?

Re: Original Poster

You are glad you saw Scars on Broadway? Jesus... they were fucking terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I agree with the comments about Prince - I felt the same way and I wasn't observing from the VIP area.

And I can understand your opinion of the Portishead set. If I wasn't familiar with their music and have an emotional connection to the songs, I would've found it uninspiring as well.

And your point #1 can't be said enough: Coachella is a completely different experience for every person that attends.

Quote Originally Posted by sassypants View Post
    And I can understand your opinion of the Portishead set. If I wasn't familiar with their music and have an emotional connection to the songs, I would've found it uninspiring as well. [/B]

i'm sorry but that's bs.

just because you dont have an emotional connection to some of the bands that play at coachella doesn't mean your ears won't perk up and think.. "hey, this is good shit!" obviously that's a huge reason to go to the festival.

i've read responses by many people waiting for prince, for example, and realizing for the first time how awesome portishead were.