Thread: Here's a wacky thought for a Sahara headliner...

Default Here's a wacky thought for a Sahara headliner...

What about Front 242?

Sure they've been milking the same show since their "ReBoot" in 1998, with the exception of adding a couple songs from PULSE. But the fact is, most people in the US have never seen it. They play European festivals every summer, but their US touring has been limited to small clubs.

I personally haven't seen them since '98, but they put out a pretty good live DVD in '05. (Which is how I know they haven't really changed.)

I think they could be a big sleeper hit, although I really wouldn't be that excited myself, since I've seen them 3 times and they've only released one new album since '98.

Default Re: Here's a wacky thought for a Sahara headliner...

oh HELL YEAH!!!!!
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I'll have to agree. HELLZ YEAH! I've seen them live back in the 90's, and they were awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

How about Thom Yorke? Come on he is a techno geek at heart and his whole eraser album could be done in the tent...(Let the flaming begin...)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I'd watch Thom Yorke just about anywhere doing just about anything. I'd watch Thom Yorke take a crap if they were selling tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I'd watch Thom Yorke take a crap if they were selling tickets.
    But would you pay to buy the shit once he was done?

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Smile Re: Here's a wacky thought for a Sahara headliner...

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    But would you pay to buy the shit once he was done?

If the price was right....
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    Sure they've been milking the same show since their "ReBoot" in 1998, with the exception of adding a couple songs from PULSE. But the fact is, most people in the US have never seen it. They play European festivals every summer, but their US touring has been limited to small clubs.
    so why would you want to put a band that is rehashing the same show (which is extremely sad) as a headliner in a US Festival and then state how most people in the US Have never seen it. there is a reason, no one likes them, and how do you get someone who cant headline a midsized club to headline a huge tent like that.
    yeah that works. problem solved.

What about Front 242?

I personally haven't seen them since '98, but they put out a pretty good live DVD in '05. (Which is how I know they haven't really changed.)

I think they could be a big sleeper hit, although I really wouldn't be that excited myself, since I've seen them 3 times and they've only released one new album since '98.
    I feel like a retard not knowing what you are talking about.. and I've been listening to electronic music for years.

Please show me a link/video.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

R÷yksopp, FC Kahuna, TÚlÚpopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

Last edited by M Sparks; 02-03-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beavington View Post
    so why would you want to put a band that is rehashing the same show (which is extremely sad) as a headliner in a US Festival and then state how most people in the US Have never seen it. there is a reason, no one likes them, and how do you get someone who cant headline a midsized club to headline a huge tent like that.
    yeah that works. problem solved.
    1)That's the point, most people haven't seen them. Most people hadn't seen Daft Punk either. In fact, they hadn't played in the US in 8 years.

2)I may have been understating "small" clubs. 500-1000 is more like it. They played Avalon in LA in 2005...the capacity is about 1400. (I wasn't there, so I don't know how full it was.)

3)I'm guessing most of the Sahara headliners play similar sized venues in the US...especially the European acts. Festivals are a different situation. Prodigy headlined the Rokout festival...that's a bigger audience than the Sahara tent. But the night before, they played the Filmore (cap 1100).

4)Looking up some of this stuff, it appears they've actually dropped the "rave" show they were doing from 1998-2004ish and have gone back to their cyberpunk roots. So my comment about milking the same show is irrelevant.

5)Not counting the DJs who do the massive raves, there aren't any electro acts this year bigger than Front 242. Obviously, they're not bigger than The Prodigy or The Chemical Bros. But they're bigger than Faithless.

6) I said it was "wacky"

Member John Peel is My Co-pilot's Avatar

5)Not counting the DJs who do the massive raves, there aren't any electro acts this year bigger than Front 242. Obviously, they're not bigger than The Prodigy or The Chemical Bros. But they're bigger than Faithless.

In which parallel universe?

Quote Originally Posted by John Peel is My Co-pilot View Post
    In which parallel universe?
    In the real world, not the hipster elitist world. More people know who they are. They sold more albums. They're just plain more famous.

But you're right...that doesn't make them suitable for Coachella. Time changes everything, and they aren't the draw in the US they once were. But on Lollapalooza, they were billed ABOVE both Tool and RATM. And I saw them headline at KUKQ Fest in '91...that was like 20,000 people.

They may not fit in this particular mold, but it's a load of crap to say no one knows them, or that they couldn't fill a frickin tent. They play 15,000+ shows in Europe to this day.

In the real world, not the hipster elitist world. More people know who they are. They sold more albums. They're just plain more famous.

But you're right...that doesn't make them suitable for Coachella. Time changes everything, and they aren't the draw in the US they once were. But on Lollapalooza, they were billed ABOVE both Tool and RATM. And I saw them headline at KUKQ Fest in '91...that was like 20,000 people.

They may not fit in this particular mold, but it's a load of crap to say no one knows them, or that they couldn't fill a frickin tent. They play 15,000+ shows in Europe to this day.
    I saw that KUKQ show too. Did they really headline? I can't remember. Good show though.

1)That's the point, most people haven't seen them. Most people hadn't seen Daft Punk either. In fact, they hadn't played in the US in 8 years.
    But even without live shows, Daft Punk were much, much more popular and well-known than Front 242 was even during their long-ago heyday.

Prodigy headlined the Rokout festival...that's a bigger audience than the Sahara tent. But the night before, they played the Filmore (cap 1100).
    Tiesto and PVD routinely play to tens of thousands of people in southern California.

I've been a Front 242 fan since 1990 or so, and you're smoking crack if you think they're bigger than Faithless with the general public or anyone else, or that they're the biggest "electro" act. They're not part of the modern-day electro scene at all. Even if their music has stylistic similarities and if you could argue that they're an important precursor to modern electro, they wouldn't draw the numbers that people who actually have a following in the electro scene (which itself is pretty small) would draw.

But on Lollapalooza, they were billed ABOVE both Tool and RATM. And I saw them headline at KUKQ Fest in '91...that was like 20,000 people.
    And what's the common thread between these two observations? They are both from at least 14 years ago! Tool and RATM were just starting out then, and they've exploded since, whereas Front 242 has faded to obscurity.

Front 242, frankly, are perceived in the US to be has-beens, to those who even know about them at all. They really don't have a following, and would really only draw a handful of goths in their 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by dizfactor View Post
    I've been a Front 242 fan since 1990 or so, and you're smoking crack if you think they're bigger than Faithless with the general public or anyone else, or that they're the biggest "electro" act. They're not part of the modern-day electro scene at all. Even if their music has stylistic similarities and if you could argue that they're an important precursor to modern electro, they wouldn't draw the numbers that people who actually have a following in the electro scene (which itself is pretty small) would draw.
    I didn't say they were the "biggest electro act". I'm not crazy. Apparently, I'm just not that familiar with Faithless. Neither is my wife, who listens to a lot of the dance stations on XM....she knew a lot of the dance acts way lower on the billing, but not Faithless.

There are all these threads whining "Where's the Saraha headliner." and "Faithless can't headline." Obviously, on any other year, it wouldn't have even occured to me. But everyone seems to think there's something lacking in that Friday lineup. Hence, a "wacky" suggestion to fill the perceived gap.

I'm well aware that Tiesto & PVD draw huge rave crowds...I mentioned that above. I should have put Friday in the subject.

Forget "headline"...put 'em on at 6pm. I still think if you drop something like "SEQ<666>" in the tent, people would be into it.

And I still maintain "Front" is more well known in the general public. My brother-in-law is into light-pop like Jack Johnson, and he's got a copy of "Fuck Up Evil". I've heard DJs play "Welcome To Paradise" in some really lame mainstream clubs.

However, the general public is not standing in that tent, so I concide your point.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I saw that KUKQ show too. Did they really headline? I can't remember. Good show though.
    They didn't play last, but they were treated as the headliner. 80% of the crowd left after they played. Stan Ridgway played last, and I pretty much strolled up to the front of the stage.

*yawn*