Thread: Black Mountain-so who saw them?

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Default Black Mountain-so who saw them?

I couldn't leave Waters, I was enjoying my trip way to much to leave that awesome set but wanted to see Black Mountain sooooooo very bad.

Review please.

Default Re: Black Mountain-so who saw them?

This was my only regret. I too am curious how the show was...

I saw the crowd en route to Justice, it was small obvs. Wanted to see them badly as well.

I saw a good chunk of them, very good to sit down too, it was a really nice smokey atmosphere, their sound wasn't very good though (not their fault)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I heard somewhere the tent was empty. They totally got screwed. I hope they get invited back next year and get an early evening set.

MORE INFO PLEASE!!!

I can't really go too in-depth, I was hanging on to reality by a thread on Sunday night, but the tent was EMPTY! very small crowd, chromeo was rocking it next door
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

My boyfriend and I saw their entire set. I am so happy we did. They are one of my favorite bands. They were great, even though they couldn't believe anybody left Waters to watch them.

I have a feeling that they weren't thrilled about being stuck with a set time that conflicted with Waters, not because the turn out was so small, but because they would have rather had the opportunity to witness that spectacle themselves.

Admittedly, I was standing near the soundboard, so I could listen to them, and occasionally look over to see what was going on at the mainstage.

I managed to see the first half of Waters, as well as the last song of his second set, so no huge complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by nbvwes View Post
    and maybe Radiohead would impress me if i had grew up on a farm... and i was retarded... but i didn't, so they don't...

What did they play? Any crowd interaction?

A bit of crowd interaction...When they came on Steve says "Thank you for leaving the amazingness that is Roger Waters to come see us - Fools!

Started with Stormy High I think.
    Songs played that I can remember (not necesarily in this order):
    Don't Run our Hearts Around
    Druganaut (Extended and very psychedelic) was dedicated to all the "trippers" out there
    Tyrants
    Wucan
    Modern Music
    Angels
    Thirteen Walls

Don't quote me on this, as I said it what I think I can remember, It was a long weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by nbvwes View Post
    and maybe Radiohead would impress me if i had grew up on a farm... and i was retarded... but i didn't, so they don't...

Thanks for the info. I really can't wait to see this band. I really love the new album. Their message board totally blows though. Very little activity and no reviews really.

they were awesome....I was thrilled with Roger Waters, but had seen him twice in the last couple years, so I was willing to sacrifice some of it to see Black Mountain for the first time........would absolutely, without a doubt see them next time they're around me

I wish I could give some great in depth info, but I'm not familiar enough with their music yet....but working on it!
    '99-'11...

probably not seeing this band is my biggest regret of coachella '08; I wanted to see them so bad; I'll definitely see them if they come near me in the future. They are so good ... keep on rockin black mountain.
    "What a horrible noise the plebs make when they're happy"...

yeah, since they got Gogol'd with their set time, maybe they'll get a late afternoon/early evening main stage slot next year too... (a couple of hours before Led Zep on the same stage would be nice...)

I slipped in the side of the tent and stood about 15 feet away from the stage smoking a cigarette, that's how small the crowd was. I thought they sounded good from what I heard, It was a nice departure form Chromeo and Waters that night..

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Missing them was such a mistake

If I was black mountain, i would have left my own set to see roger waters, just saying.

and i hope they do get invited back in 09 so we can see them without such a HUGE conflict. so unfair.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird73 View Post
    My boyfriend and I saw their entire set. I am so happy we did. They are one of my favorite bands. They were great, even though they couldn't believe anybody left Waters to watch them.

I have a feeling that they weren't thrilled about being stuck with a set time that conflicted with Waters, not because the turn out was so small, but because they would have rather had the opportunity to witness that spectacle themselves.

Admittedly, I was standing near the soundboard, so I could listen to them, and occasionally look over to see what was going on at the mainstage.

I managed to see the first half of Waters, as well as the last song of his second set, so no huge complaints.
    I would have protested to the fullest instead of going against Waters...I mean why both performing at all if 1. your crowd will be very small and 2. it is against someone you want to check out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I snuck off to catch them too. I only heard a song & a half but they sounded awesome. The singer has a wonderful voice. I hope they come back for the 10th anniversary show.
    Last edited by wstsidela; 05-12-2008 at 03:43 PM.
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

I still don't get how GV could put Black Mountain and Roger Waters up against each other.

Obviously they're most likely not gonna be added to this year ('09), but I just got back from their show in LA tonight and man do those guys kick ass live. Highly recommended if you live in San Diego, Santa Cruz, or Washington and want to see a great show in the next few days...check their tour schedule.
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    I still don't get how GV could put Black Mountain and Roger Waters up against each other.
    Me either. One of the worst and most non-sensical conflicts of the festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

black mountain played the 7th march @ the best festival in the world in my eyes and i was there. golden plains music festival, 7000 tickets only and B.Y.O booze, yes the only one that i know of. we took 4 couches and had them set up on the hill. we were smokin spliffs while kicking back watching the whole black mountain set and it was unreal. IT WOULD HAVE TO BE THE MOST LAYED BACK FESTIVAL AROUND its like our own little woodstock!

Quote Originally Posted by ozmusic View Post
    black mountain played the 7th march @ the best festival in the world in my eyes and i was there. golden plains music festival, 7000 tickets only and B.Y.O booze, yes the only one that i know of. we took 4 couches and had them set up on the hill. we were smokin spliffs while kicking back watching the whole black mountain set and it was unreal. IT WOULD HAVE TO BE THE MOST LAYED BACK FESTIVAL AROUND its like our own little woodstock!
    I saw them at Outside Lands. Great. Also, don't miss Cage the Elephant this year.
    The Dude: "He has emotional problems man."
    Walter: "You mean, beyond pacifism?"

Quote Originally Posted by BeeII View Post
    If I was black mountain, i would have left my own set to see roger waters, just saying.
    something similar (kiiinda) happened at lolla last year
    brand new was up against explosions in the sky
    and apparently BN loves explosions in the sky
    so BN left their set 15 min earlier and went and watched explosions

aha
    last.fm/user/killakat

I got see the whole set. I sat and watched waters until he started in with DSTM. I have seen them a few times before and this set was definitely legit. You could tell the were pretty bummed with the set time that they got. But it was really good none the less.

i saw them in L.A. this past Saturday... AMAZING fucking show! I'm so glad i got to see them do a full set in a sold out venue rather than missing Waters to see their Coachella set...

they need to do Coachella 2010.

What happened to the dude who was gonna sell his recording of Black Mountain (shot with a Sony VX2000!) for like 500 bucks?