to dip the sandwich in.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Default Re: Cooking With Menik

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    to dip the sandwich in.
    Good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Grilled cheese can only be made one way.

Wonder white bread
    Kraft singles cheese
    Butter
    Campbell's tomato soup

[/ grilled cheese]
    This is an unforgivably divisive statement in a time when we all need to come together. I'm ashamed of you drawing lines on what ingredients can and can't be involved in grilled cheese sandwich consumption.

I suppose you just spent the last few days beating your hands against the walls of your house because your state said that homosexual couples can get married just like heterosexual couples.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

You're funny yablo. But really, I like it burnt. I've always grilled cheese pretty much burnt like that. Same goes for toast...if you're gonna make TOAST, then frickin' turn the toaster to 6 or 7 and actually toast the bread and burn it a little....we're not talking warmed bread here folks, it's TOAST. Those are my rules that I apply anyway. You're welcomed to a guest spot anytime Greg. And you too mismarta.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Grilled cheese can only be made one way.

Wonder white bread
    Kraft singles cheese
    Butter
    Campbell's tomato soup

[/ grilled cheese]
    This is fucking disgusting, Brandon. Putting aside the white man's crime of thinking Wonder bread is in any way excusable for a second--KRAFT?! Are you serious? *****, you must be from California to throw up that crime against dairy like it's a good thing.

Go to your grocery stores and hit the deli, for fuck's sake. Kraft pre-packaged slices are barely even cheese.

Here is the correct way to make grilled cheese, since Yabs came in with his entirely weird counter-video that for some reason believes it's a good idea to put butter in the pan in addition to on the bread, and also somehow got the idea that putting butter in the pan while it's still heating up isn't gross:

Decent bread, white bread is horrible for you and flavorless--some enriched-looking whole wheat, numerous grain, or potato bread is acceptable.

Deli-cut (or personally cut if you buy a brick of real cheese and slice it yourself, which everyone should do) cheese--either American or Cheddar will work really, as almost anything is better than Kraft shite.

Butter the pieces of bread, throw one into a pre-heated pan, put the slices of cheese on top and knock the heat down to 70 percent of the maximum, putting the other slice of bread on top with the buttered side facing up.

Ignore Yablo's preposterous idea to cover the pan. Instead, wait until the cheese has melted a little bit and then start checking the underside of the sandwich every twenty seconds or so to see how brown it's getting. If you're diligent, nothing you make should ever be overcooked. When the cooking side hits a golden brown, flip the whole thing without making a fucking mess of it.

Repeat procedure to finish the sandwich without burning it. Eat with slices of sweet gherkin pickles and a glass of soda.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Same goes for toast...if you're gonna make TOAST, then frickin' turn the toaster to 6 or 7 and actually toast the bread and burn it a little....we're not talking warmed bread here folks, it's TOAST. Those are my rules that I apply anyway.
    QFT. Seriously.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

A lid is mandatory as well as tomato soup and milk.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

For what possible reason is a lid mandatory? Also, tomato soup looks and tastes like vegetable menstruation, and milk is vastly too much dairy to add to the mix.

A lid is necessary to melt the cheese faster and more uniformly.

Have you even had tomato soup?

Milk>Soda.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Not necessary to melt cheese faster. The fucking thing takes like four minutes to cook all told and you have to keep it on medium to medium-high heat tops or else it cooks too fast. The last thing these dorks need is to have the sandwich taken out of their view. Cooking means attentiveness.

kraft is fucking putrid

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    A lid is necessary to melt the cheese faster and more uniformly.

Have you even had tomato soup?

Milk>Soda.
    Adam is right.

Here's the thing. I'm not sure I stated this as clearly as I should have. But the lid creates heat that surrounds the sandwich and, like Kruetzy said, helps cook the sandwich uniformly.

Also, the lid will serve to melt the butter on top of the bread. Instead of manually lifting the sandwich every 20 seconds or so to see if the bread browned, you simply lift the lid and see if the butter is melted. As soon as the butter is melted, the bread on the bottom has turned golden brown. I don't know how it works so perfectly like that, but it does. It's like when I would grill brook trout at my grandparent's house when I was a kid, one thing we wouldn't do before cooking the fish is cut the heads off, because the eyes provide an indicator, much like the melted butter on the top of the sandwich, as to when it's ready. I don't know why this works the way it does, but once the fishes eyes turn white, the meat is ready to eat.

Of course, I never gave a crap about that because I wouldn't eat the fish, or any fish for that matter. But since I was in charge of cleaning and cooking the fish we'd bring home, I had to know that.

Check this dude out, he thinks he's menik.

Last edited by Yablonowitz; 05-18-2008 at 03:49 PM.
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Yabs, it didn't work perfectly. You burned the sandwich. How about instead of trying to gauge the level of cooking through some half-baked equivalency between the top side of the bread and the side that's actually, you know, COOKING... you just check the part that's fucking cooking?

just because a lid is on does not mean you cannot check/monitor what is cooking.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

It's superfluous, wholly unnecessary, and obscures the focus of your attention. Come to my apartment and I'll cook you a grilled cheese that will make your dick hard.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Yabs, it didn't work perfectly. You burned the sandwich. How about instead of trying to gauge the level of cooking through some half-baked equivalency between the top side of the bread and the side that's actually, you know, COOKING... you just check the part that's fucking cooking?
    It didn't work perfectly because I spent too much time talking to the camera instead of flipping it. I'm a bad multi-tasker, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater here. The method works. And, anyway, I didn't burn it, dude. I browned it more than I wanted.

I have no problem with your method because you understand the key component - mid-heat level oven setting. But my method is for those who don't want to be constantly monitoring their bread. Many people don't have a standard spatula at their disposal and have to use something like a fork or a wooden spoon to check their sandwich. This can be too irritating to do every 20 seconds or it can lead to a false positive or a false negative for bread browning. The lid method completely eliminates those potential problems. This is particularly handy for those who like to do a little cooking, but not a lot of cooking.

Take your eyes off your meal and you will lose it.

Take your eyes off your meal and you will lose it.
    Is that what she said?

No, my dad just used to bitch at my mom every night for "cooking dinner from the living room. You can't cook from the fucking living room, 'cause the food is in the kitchen. You have to watch the food when you're cooking it, otherwise you'll fuck it all up. Please stop fucking it up."

She never did though, until eventually he took over cooking dinner so it could be done right. The improvement in quality was drastic. In retrospect though, Mom's plan of cooking poorly to avoid having to do it forever worked quite well, much like her method of never cleaning the house so that Dad would be too ashamed to bring company over, thus absolving her of entertaining guests ever.

No, my dad just used to bitch at my mom every night for "cooking dinner from the living room. You can't cook from the fucking living room, 'cause the food is in the kitchen. You have to watch the food when you're cooking it, otherwise you'll fuck it all up. Please stop fucking it up."

She never did though, until eventually he took over cooking dinner so it could be done right. The improvement in quality was drastic. In retrospect though, Mom's plan of cooking poorly to avoid having to do it forever worked quite well, much like her method of never cleaning the house so that Dad would be too ashamed to bring company over, thus absolving her of entertaining guests ever.
    I throw up a stupid sexual metaphor for you to level-jump and you turn around and offer a small, intimate glimpse into the inner workings of your parents and your hearth and home?

What a great way to not have to cook dinner. I'll have to remember that.

Also- on why the fish eyes turn opaque, cooking changes the protein structure. That is also why egg whites start out clear and turn white after they are cooked. In case anyone was curious.

Quote Originally Posted by spektrum View Post
    What a great way to not have to cook dinner. I'll have to remember that.

Also- on why the fish eyes turn opaque, cooking changes the protein structure. That is also why egg whites start out clear and turn white after they are cooked. In case anyone was curious.
    Jesus Christ, Spektrum, you just answered a question that I've had for about 25 years. I owe you.

so fish eyes have egg whites in them. i did not know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I thought it was that egg whites had fish eyes in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I'm hoping Friday (maybe thursday) I can get another episode up. Until then, I have to help a guy move, listen to GYBE, and I threw together a website for this stuff here.

also, on the cheese issue -- Kraft American Singles is the classic, definitive way to make a true American grilled cheese sandwich. 'Cheese food product' melts better than most actual cheese. it may be shit, i'm not disputing that, but it's authentic.

if you're gonna slap some Gruyere or something between bread and toast it, that's fine, but then you should call it a Croque Monsieur or something.

speaking of which. I could go for some pissaladiere right now.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

American cheese is gross. Grilled cheese with cheddar is where it's at.

but american cheese is classic.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    American cheese is gross. Grilled cheese with cheddar is where it's at.
    you totally missed the point.

thank god we've got menik.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

It's painful to admit that Tom's right, and that American cheese is the classic choice. However, it is also the floppy, oddly-textured, repugnantly-flavored choice, and as such should be boycotted.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?