Thread: Spiritualized ---WTF?

Lurker

Default Spiritualized ---WTF?

Did anyone else catch that crappy self indulgent set by them?
    One of the worst of the festival.
    Goldfrapp was one of the best though!

Default Re: Spiritualized ---WTF?

I'm going to go make some popcorn to eat while I watch where this thread goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by youguysallsuckfatcock View Post
    now you guys are really pissing me off. especiall you walrus fucker

Goldfrapp?...more like GoldCRAPP!

I enjoyed it very much. Granted, the sound problems the first few songs were very annoying, but after that I thought it was fantastic. I much prefer the accoustic version, and using the strings and backup singers made it even better. I saw electric version at another festival, Field Day I think and I thought that performance paled in comparison to this.

I didn't really like it very much...I'm not a huge Spiritualized fan, but I have a couple albums of theirs that I like...and i saw them open for Radiohead in'97 or '98 ......and they were great then...this set just didn't do a lot for me..
    '99-'11...

The black singer - i couldn't take my eyes off her.

they were pretty good after the first two songs that had sound problems.

I missed them at Coachella. I will see them at Glastonbury. hopefully it will be electric.

On a related note to Glastonbury. MGMT is playing 2 sets!!!! can't fucking wait
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

yeah, i guess Goldfrapp WAS better than Spiritualized, although that's not saying much...

Not sure why we're comparing Goldfrapp and Spiritualized but they both had somewhat severe sound issues. Spiritualized was ok. The crowd bareley had a pulse which may have made it worse than it was. I should have stayed at A Track.

08/27 Jamie XX - The Mohawk
    08/31 Little Dragon - The Moody Theater
    10/02 Beck - Stubb's
    10/03 Rhye - The Paramount
    09/12 GvsB IV w/Panda Bear, SOPHIE, DOSS, Ejecta - Granada Theater
    09/21 IHEARTCOMIX + Hyperdub 10 - Empire
    09/23 Andy Stott/Millie + Andrea - The North Door
    11/7,8,9 Fun Fun Fun - Auditorium Shores
    11/17 Blonde Redhead - The Mohawk
    11/23 Caribou, Jessy Lanza - The Mohawk
    11/26 FKA Twigs - The Parish

07, 08, 09, 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I liked it a lot after they sorted out their sound issues. but DAMN it was bad for a while. I half expected them to storm off stage because the sound guys couldn't fix it.

also, GV need to stop scheduling quiet sets in the mojave. the sound bleed from the sahara is ridiculous.

the moment i found out that it was going to be acoustic mainline and not electric mainline i cringed....that sort of sublty and nuance rarely goes over well at coachella. saw them do it at the vista theater in the fall and it worked wonderfully...but in a festival setting with the constance oonce oonce oonce from the sahara wafting through the air i knew they were doomed and opted to see metric....even though spiritualized are arguably one of my favorite bands of all time.

when i finally made it to spiritualized my worst fears were confirmed.

if this was your first time seeing spiritualized i hope you don't write them off...electric is an entirely different experience. i know they are going to be epic at the hollywood bowl this summer. i can't wait!
    ))<>((

I actually enjoyed Spiritualized a lot. I thought they played an excellent set considering it was an acoustic mainline, and J was spot-on. What made it not-as-cool were the damn sound problems. Even after those first two songs, I could never really hear the strings. Not to mention the noise bleed from the Sahara sucked.

However, I think they were amazing given what they had to work with. I wish I could see an official acoustic mainline show, so that it could be much better. I also wish I could see an electric mainline. Either way, I thought it was amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I really wanted to see goldfrapp and missed it...I've been keeping myself away from that thread so I wont be devistated.

I listened to spiritualized for a while but had a hard time getting into it.

We hung out outside the tent for most of Spiritualized's set. That organ was mixed WAY too loud, completely drowned out everything else.

Spiritualized was great. The annoying little shits pushing their way up front to get a good spot for Sia during their set were not.

I talked to Jason Pierce beforehand, and he said it was the final Acoustic Mainline set. I've seen them electric many times over the years, and this was definitely a different experience. But stripped down, with strings and singers, the beauty of some of those songs really shone through

The tent was empty for spiritualized. Seriously empty.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I really liked how "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space" worked acoustically. Same with "I Think I'm In Love." Both also made great use of the backup singers.

And classic Spacemen 3 tracks like "Amen" and "Walkin' With Jesus" are just too good for me to complain.

I would've loved an electric set but this was something I hadn't seen before so I'm happy we got an acoustic one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Lurker

hey...
    i am not one to ever complain 'much' about anyones efforts musically, and i do love nuanced acoustic music. The self indulgence that I refer to however was due to the venue and JP's choice of delivery of his music considering where they were. Perhaps this would have worked better in a proper theater....so when he did not think of his audience, I felt he was being a diva...and 'self' indulgent. Now it applies....see?
    I agree with you as far as Roger Waters tho.
    And I wasn't comparing Goldfrapp with them....at all. I was just blown away by a band that I didn't expect to be so good...AND, has tepid recorded music, says me, and their live show was so awesome.