Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meeting people/Making friends

Default Meeting people/Making friends

Long term or temporary. Maybe you camped next to a cute girl and are still hitting it off. Maybe you were tripping too hard and had some sort of religious experience with another dude tripping even more balls. Maybe you were lucky enough to get one of my yearbook pictures with my name, phone number, and a big <3 on the back of it. DO TELL. Really, I like these stories..

Default Re: Meeting people/Making friends

when i first got there i had a discussion with a seemingly intoxicated long haired fellow about hamsters while walking to the entrance. he had been yelling about them and everyone just kinda left him alone. he said i was the first person all day to actually talk back to him and just try to have fun. i told him everyone else would get it by the end of the weekend hopefully, then we went our separate ways

any girl that drove by on a golf cart i would have to ask "are you my psychic friend?" i think the total count on that was two

everyone there kept asking me for "rolls" which confused my friends and i since i dont do anything like that at all, but apparently i look like a drug dealer?

i had a funny conversation with a blue shirt security guard about how the drum circle exhibit sounded kinda messed up cause noone could play together. he said "i doubt half of these people could even play by themselves!" which i thought was actually pretty funny. it was refreshing to meet someone in security laughing and joking yet still doing his job. unlike all the yellow shirt marines on leave types going rainbow six on some hippy kids for smoking a joint

yea, didn't meet any real "friend" type friends but thats ok. i was busy enough chasing down the friends i came with

the group camping directly across from us lives a few cities away. i'm hanging out with one of them on friday. totally going to be real friends. what are the odds?

met a sweetheart of a girl, named jessica, from the bay area. her boyfriend was off playing ultimate frisbee while she attended the shows. We started talking right before Fatboy Slim. After a while, she turned to me and said," I like you." It totally made my evening. Then she offered to share a "party favor" with me. So generous. We had made plans to meet up at a Bonde do Role the next day. I had planned on returning the favor. But I never found her and she never called. If anybody knows who this is, please put her in contact with me some how... I just wanted to thank her properly.

i had rented a locker and somehow my friend and i got to talking to the women with a locker next to us and we ran into her multiple times after that and had some pretty sweet convos.

I met quite a few new buddies from the Long Beach, CA area. One in particular was this cool cat by the name Rasta. A jolly fellow with the longest dreads imaginable--hence the name, lol--just a cool person. Also, everyone was so much more approachable I had a 15-minute discussion about The National with this lovely lady named Seela or Sila.

Just a great time...

omg aphex twin lady! I love you!

<3 c149

I struck up a small conversation with a guy while waiting for Kraftwerk. We were like one person away from the front rail and I asked him if we was staying (up front) for the whole night. He said yes and we eventually got into how important seeing Kraftwerk was and how they've influenced so many people and bands, including many at the festival. He gave me a pat on the shoulder and said "Thank god you exist man, finally somebody else gets it. Now I don't feel like such a loner."

Awesome dude, I totally forgot his name but he was from Boise.

Then at SMD/Chromeo/Justice I and my GF got to chatting with these cool cats from Long Beach who were "boxing out" the front left corner of the lighting/visuals platform area. We somehow went through 3 hours of dancing, singing, laughing and talking and never exchanged names. They left halfway through Justice to go home and beat traffic. I actually kind of miss them. We had an awesome holding hands moment singing to the songs before Justice.
    Last edited by Vic Viper; 04-30-2008 at 03:05 PM.

the girl and her boyfriend from san jose that gave me a PBR because we lent them a hammer at lake cahuilla. they were really cool.

and it wasn't even my hammer.

frenz plz
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotequeThom View Post
    Shpongle Jedi flip if its a live set

I did talk with this guy who was also rolling balls, as I was sitting out side of the sahara semi-watching MSTRKRFT, completely ass-kicked by watching the chems. He said something about the things he was saying not making sense, and how people were staring at him... and I commented on how I didn't talk for an hour or so, because I felt too good... it was kinda religious of an experience, because I actually felt like we were communicating in a pure form... but then again... I was pretty gone, and had a hard time walking back to and finding my tent afterward.
    weekend one

OH, and there were these girls from UC Irvine, and we helped them set up their tents. Then, since it was cold outside, and I had just driven about 7 hours, my foot started to cramp up, and one of them was nice enough to give me a foot massage. No happy ending though, lawlz.
    weekend one

In 2008, my 2 buddies and I ended up becoming up friends with two different sets of Canadians. One set were our camping neighbors and the others were some tailgaters. We ended up running into both all throughout the entire weekend. At the very end for Roger Waters we met beforehand with our camping neighbors. Damn Good Times.

On Thursday night this past year I saw this guy camping next to the volcano. He was by himself and just sat outside his tent in the shade for the entire day. Then at night I noticed he was walking around some tents across the fire lane talking to some people. They all started laughing and saying thank you so I got curious as to what was going on.

He went back to his tent and sat back down. I decided to go over to talk to him. From far away I could tell that he had some pretty long greying dreadlocks and was an older man but not elderly. Probably late -50s. When I got closer I noticed all sorts of tattoos on his arms and face. All of them were faded and looked either ceremonial or done in jail. I introduced myself and we had a nice little conversation. Turned out his name was Dragon and he was from Bisbee, Arizona. I asked him about his tattoos and turns out they were done in some caves by the Native Americans in Bisbee during rituals honoring different gods. We continued talking, just making small talk. Mid-conversation he reached inside his tent a little bit and offered me a mushroom brownie! It was pretty sweet. He told me that I should only take half because the mushrooms were a very strong type. From his stories I didn't feel I had any reason to doubt him. But that was pretty awesome, lost the brownie before I could eat it though.

Dragon was cool to be around. A nice, wise man who, during the days before the festival gates opened, attracted a lot of good looking ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmontanez View Post
    and one of them was nice enough to give me a foot massage...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotequeThom View Post
    Shpongle Jedi flip if its a live set

The first year I went (2004) Pete was already there waiting for me in the Sahara tent. When I arrived, still abit overwhelmed by the whole Coachella atmosphere, he had already made friends with a young couple from Paraguay and introduced us. Each year they would come to the US to work at a ski resort in Tahoe, then hit Coachella at the end of the season before going home. Apparently they were also big fans of the Sahara tent because they pretty much stayed in there the whole time. He would be chilling on the grass while she would dance for him as if he were the only one there.So, when it came time to head to another tent, we said our goodbyes, thinking it would probably be the last we'd see of them. One hour of time spent dancing together and we parted with hugs from complete strangers as if we had been friends for years. We talked for days about them. How nice they were and how friendly. If there had been any language barrier, we hadn't noticed. The music brought us together.

Anyway, the following year as we arrived, we both mentioned how neat it would be to see them again, so we chanced it and headed to the Sahara. Sure enough, same spot as before, we walked in and were greeted with hugs as if it were only yesterday we had first met. We danced, laughed, got high, and once again said out goodbyes.
    The year after that when we arrived, there they were in the spot that by then had become our spot as well...only this time she was about 7 months pregnant. We didn't see them in 2007, or 2008, and it almost seemed as if an important part of our Coachella was missing. We figured with a baby, they had to pass, but we never forgot them.

It was last year on Sunday, again in the Sahara tent dancing, that I turned around, and there she was. The greetings once again were as if there were years and years between us. She was with afew girlfriends and we didn't see her man, but were afraid to ask. Just simply saying to tell him hello as we said our goodbyes as the night ended. I'm hoping that next year they're together and we meetup with them again. Their love was obviously contagious, seeing as the Sahara tent that first year was where Pete and I seemed to cross that final line between friendship and forever. Not only would it be nice to say hello once again, but even nicer to finally learn their names and exchange numbers...Afterall, they were the first members of the Coachella family to make us feel at home... *To our favorite friends from Paraguay* We'll be looking for you in the Sahara, right side, front against the rail!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Banned

My first year (2001), I had just met 2 really nice girls from Santa Barbara at a rave in my city. I told my buddy, I bet you we'll probably see them. He said no way, not with more than 50,000 people there. The first tent my buddy and me walked into, there they were, unbelievable. We had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by prettyenoughforyou View Post
    the group camping directly across from us lives a few cities away. i'm hanging out with one of them on friday. totally going to be real friends. what are the odds?
    totally me and my group.

also the group next to her had my future boyfriend even though he lived in canada. i love the randomness coachella brings.

Thursday night in the campground, two girls asked us what time it was. We struck up a conversation, which led to us hatching a plan to sneak in their guitar. The plan was a great success, of course, so we stashed it in our tent and headed to the dome. On the way, we meet another random guy and he joins us. Have a great time at the dome for a while and head back to camp to play music. There are 6 of us in our canopy singing and playing music. As people are walking by, some stop in for a minute, and some sit down and introduce themselves. I head to the honey bucket and when I come back I see 2 groups of people heading toward my tent from different directions. I enter and see that our group has grown to about 20. I reclaim my seat next to my girlfriend and introduce myself to some of the new people. Passers-by begin to stop and just sit outside, as our 10x10 tent has reached capacity. We play as many Beatles songs as we know and many other random tunes that people can sing along to. As we ran out of material, people eventually started filtering out.

After 3 years of staying in hotels, this was my first Coachella camping experience. For all of the heat and discomfort, I realized quickly why camping is so worth it. I'll never forget it.

You weren't the guys that were singing the "I Like Whiskey" song were you? My tent was near the Volcano and one of the groups had a guitar and sang the most obnoxious yet awesome songs at full volume a few times Thursday night. It was great.
    Quote Originally Posted by anadin View Post
    Whatevs message boards are gay

No, but I think I may have heard them too. There were a few places singing songs.

my friend and i were hitchiking home and on the second day this girl stopped and picked us up and drove us home and then drove us home the next night too. we are facebook friends now. story over.

Who wants to be my friend?
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Was covering the 2008 festival, and while awaiting Mark Ronson at the Outdoor Theatre, I began chatting up a lovely young woman near the sound booth. Turns out she was English, and was a freelance photographer who'd had her work in rags like the NME. She joked about how much she loathed both Ronson and Kaiser Chiefs, but was there primarily because she'd heard Tim Burgess might make a guest appearance (which he did). Naturally, Ricky Wilson sang during Ronson's set, leading to much shared laughter.

We hung out for a bit longer, exchanged e-mail info, then parted ways. Two days later, fate intervened and we found ourselves on the same flight to San Francisco.

We've kept in touch through Facebook and e-mail, and I'm quite happy to call her my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Lurker

So mines not actually from Coachella but is leading me to my first Coachella experience 2010

I'm an aussie working in Muskoka, Ontario for the summer and I went to see Underworld in Toronto (about a 2.5 hour drive) Couldnt find anyone to go with it seems not very many Ontarians are into good electronic music. I know if Underworld played in Australia they would sell out stadiums of 25,000 people!
    Anyway I partied hard, completely sober and drug free as the experiance and music was THAT good. But as midnight rolls around I realised I'd danced to hard and hadn't met anyone, but I was so pumped from an awesome night I was ready to drive the 2.5 hours back home. So I'm putting the key in my car when I'm thinking how lame it was I didn't meet anyone.. so I see these two guys in the parking lot and being sober worked up the courage to go over (im a pretty shy person) and said

"Hey do you guys mind if we take a few photos so I can pretend I actually made friends tonight"

They obliged and I still didn't know their names, we took heaps of random photos and ended up talking. I went out for a few beers with them and then we had a dance party in the parking lot! I ended up partying with them for Tiesto a few months later and they told me all about Coachella, they go with about 20 friends every year and to be honest Id never even heard of Coachella before then. So now I have my tickets, and an awesome crew to party with all because I walked up to two random guys in a parking lot.

I Can't wait to have the same random experiences at Coachella!!

I think you are going to have a very, very good time at Coachella

LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

this is all very good to read...
    i need to be more social. i want to meet peopleeeee!

My friends and I were hanging out with some very cool guys from Australia, they had just gotten back from Mexico and when they found out my husband and I were getting married in Mexico soon, they offered us their remaining pesos to buy us our first beer in Mexico. When we arrived and I bought the beer, it brought back Coachella memories

In 08 my friend and i played Frisbee with some girls on Friday morning in the campsite. One of them was Australian and we hit it off pretty well. They were waiting on friends with a car so we ended up take them to town to get stuff since we had a car. I basically hung out with this girl during the day everyday and then left her to go do copious amounts of psychedelic drugs at night. She was a little straight-edged and would not have approved. She didn't even smoke ganja. Anyway i regret not hanging out with her at night cause i'm pretty sure i could have got some and those accents fuckin kill me. We ended up being facebook friends after and it turns out she had a b/f the whole time. She never mentioned him the whole weekend though so I think i would have been cool....I fucked it up with drugs though. Oh well...maybe this year.