Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The"official" unofficial "Did you see...?" thread

Default The"official" unofficial "Did you see...?" thread

So I missed JXL for Kraftwerk. An easy sacrifice to make, but I've seen him before and I know he can really bring a place to its feet. Anyone who caught his show, how was it?

And Dwight Yoakam? I'm NOT a country music fan, but I really wanted to see him just for the sake of novelty, really getting a good mix of stuff in during the weekend, but he also lost to Kraftwerk. Did he put on a good show?

Feel free to ask your own questions. I know it might not make sense to some people, but I just kind of like to know how the other acts were.

Default Re: The"official" unofficial "Did you see...?" thread

There is a knob on his korg. He likes to twist it till the song is well filtered, then he moves a fader upwards to launch new bass lines. They make you dance. In case you are not aware of an incoming drop, he will point to the sky or position himself atop a crate and jump to visually symbolize a major moment in the Sahara tent party. Steve Aoki is his friend. Collectively, we partied as the sun fell.

Yoakam and Kraftwerk didn't conflict at all. Rilo Kiley was already halfway into their set when Kraftwerk came on.
    Jupiter's Rings originally wrote: " Rock ON! Have fun love life and eat dessert first!"

Quote Originally Posted by shoopdedoop View Post
    Yoakam and Kraftwerk didn't conflict at all. Rilo Kiley was already halfway into their set when Kraftwerk came on.
    I was front row for Kraftwerk. I like to be prepared, I'm not some cockbag that shoves his way up front 5 seconds before the act comes on the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    I was front row for Kraftwerk. I like to be prepared, I'm not some cockbag that shoves his way up front 5 seconds before the act comes on the stage.

a few people tried that during prince/portishead (i was 3 rows back) and i can guarantee I was not the only one doing some serious face elbowing as a reward for that crap...
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

I have heard nothing of Cold War Kids. Did anyone see them?
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

I missed Cut Copy. How were they?
    2008, 2009, 2011, 2012-2, 2013-1...

Did anyone see that (pretty bangin hot) chick dive for the frisbee and land in the front seat of a passing golf cart? By the back fence at the Sahara? Pretty epic. Would have made Top 10 of the week at Sportscenter.

did anybody see the end of dan le sac vs scroobius pip? he started the last song by saying that there was somebody playing the next day who he idolizes, and has always wanted to see, and would love to, but couldnt make it cuz of their tour schedule. they then covered prince's "Cream". that shit was pretty cool.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by davrone View Post
    Cut Copy was awesome... played a few cuts from their first album and a little more from the new one...

Lights and Music rocked my world!

Quote Originally Posted by sexecutioner View Post
    did anybody see the end of dan le sac vs scroobius pip? he started the last song by saying that there was somebody playing the next day who he idolizes, and has always wanted to see, and would love to, but couldnt make it cuz of their tour schedule. they then covered prince's "Cream". that shit was pretty cool.
    yeah i caught some of their set it was pretty cool. I missed Animal Collective, did anyone see them? That band was on my top list but i couldnt miss kraftwerk which im happy i didnt

Did anyone see the fucking TORNADO that happened behind the Gobi tent while the Bird and the Bee were playing?

And yeah, Cut Copy was great. Had the crowd moving.

agreed. cut copy was a steal this weekend for me...made me miss another band i thought i had to see...but cut/copy kept me at their show. it was great.

can anyone that has seen a regular Water's DSOTM show and the Coachella show point out any differences or extras Coachella may have had? that surround sound was amazing and the props were fuckin cool as hell.

Last edited by sin213; 04-28-2008 at 05:13 PM.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

Ummm did anyone see Jupiter's Rings? (LOL!)

I also missed Rilo Kiley, the beginning of Death Cab, Hot Chip (lost my boyfriend, spent an hour looking for him), and Boys Noize.

Cool Re: The"official" unofficial "Did you see...?" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar's Cousin View Post
    I have heard nothing of Cold War Kids. Did anyone see them?
    Yeah I saw them. Hot and sticky in the crowd during their set but they were a pleasant surprise. I hadn't seen them before, just purchased Robbers and Cowards. They played a few new songs too, but nothing that was especially exciting. The new stuff sounded very similar to older stuff.

Good performance though.
    AHHH It's gone already?
    That was soo quick.

Quote Originally Posted by ri0tp00f View Post
    Cut Copy was awesome... played a few cuts from their first album and a little more from the new one...

Lights and Music rocked my world!
    God dammit. I wanted to see them but I missed them for Vampire Weekend.
    I bought their new CD and it sounds amazing.
    AHHH It's gone already?
    That was soo quick.

Quote Originally Posted by davrone View Post
    Cut Copy was really great. First act that I saw, and probably one of my favs from the 3 days.
    U MAD?

thestripe

Did anyone see the lead singer from "I'm from Barcelona" face plant? Poor guy.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post

I also missed Rilo Kiley, the beginning of Death Cab, Hot Chip (lost my boyfriend, spent an hour looking for him), and Boys Noize.
    I missed Hot Chip on the trek back to the locker. (Man the locker scene looked messed up, but luckily I got mine in like 15min.)

However, I did see Boys Noize. It was off the chizzain...
    U MAD?

Quote Originally Posted by zikade View Post
    Did anyone see the fucking TORNADO that happened behind the Gobi tent while the Bird and the Bee were playing?
    I didn't see it, but I was there during their set and they mentioned it, I haven't heard anything else about it... ?

Hot Chip was really fun. Kitt Kat did you catch Animal Collective? I couldnt leave kraftwerk

i walked by jupiter's rings and it seriously creeped me out. what the hell is a 20 something year old guy doing with a bunch of 12 year olds?

aughhh

Quote Originally Posted by sin213 View Post
    can anyone that has seen a regular Water's DSOTM show and the Coachella show point out any differences or extras Coachella may have had? that surround sound was amazing and the props were fuckin cool as hell.
    I went both times he hit the Hollywood Bowl in '06 and '07... main differences:

• Quad sound was much more encompassing at Coachella. During Sheep & On The Run, especially.
    • Pyro towers at the Bowl weren't even remotely close to the size of the ones here (12 ft. vs. maybe 120-150 ft.?).
    • Pig was painted up differently at the Bowl, no plane flyby or crazy spotlights (or Palm Springs residents complaining about how hard their gardeners will have to work to clean the confetti from their lawns).
    • Time and Any Colour You Like at Coachella were full versions, they were slightly truncated at the Bowl (at least in '07, my memory's a little hazy about them in '06).
    • The prism at the Bowl show was on top of the "bowl" of the Bowl, not suspended over the stage... and I think this one was quite a bit bigger (or maybe I was just closer... screen seemed a lot bigger too).
    • There was no amazing violin performance of Gilmour's solos, or amazing violinist for that matter, at the Bowl.
    • Finale pyro and fireworks... ten times bigger here, and much more elaborate.
    • Some of the projected media seemed slightly different, but that's probably just me.
    • Coachella crowd energy blew the Bowl out of the water. Of course, that's bound to happen when twice as many people as the Bowl can hold are all screaming "Hey teacher, leave them kids alone!" in unison.

Overall, I felt that the Coachella show completely trumped the Bowl ones. The Bowl left me excited and awed... Coachella left me shaking and stunned. Once it was over and the exit music came up, I literally turned to my girlfriend with tears in my eyes and told her that short of a nuclear explosion, I don't think I'll ever see a spectacle like that performance again in my lifetime.

We didn't even bother going to the Justice tent afterwards... we didn't want anything taking away the brilliance that was fresh in our minds.

But enough of my opinions... the facts are above.

Did anyone else think The Bird and The Bee were just phenomenal (wish I could comment on the tornado, but being at the front of the stage we didn't know about it until the lead singer pointed it out, too late to see it by then)? I couldn't believe that they could sound as good live as on their albums... and the mixture of clown noses (best way to make your girlfriend happy? Catch a flying clown nose in mid-air, and hand it to her with a smile... yeah, my girl's a bit kooky like that), bubbles and Super Soakers was the perfect start to a perfect Saturday. Plus, it always makes me feel really good when the band I'm watching is as excited to be at Coachella as I am to see them there, and these guys seemed positively thrilled.
    Last edited by adctvprsnlty; 04-28-2008 at 09:03 PM.

what time did Roger get off stage?
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by zikade View Post

And yeah, Cut Copy was great. Had the crowd moving.
    Hahahah that thing was intense! Took entire trash cans and dropped them on the Gobi.
    I'm losing my patience, I just came here to bounce!

ya,the Garbage tornado was nuts! I was watchin Surkin when that happened, shit was nuts, tons of people starting running into all the recycling boxes flying around, it looked awesome...
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

Dwight Yoakam was great. He played a greatest hits set with some covers. he seemed really, really into it, his band was incredibly tight, the sound was amongst the loudest and best of the weekend and the small crowd was very into it. He's a fantastic performer.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I saw that garbage tornado, we were just coming in and saw it flying by the sahara. By the time we got there though it dissapeared. I was wondering why there were trash cans lying around everywhere that day.

Yoakam was... surprisingly decent. I walked by him cause I got bored (and Scars on Broadway were doing their amazing experimental soundcheck set) and the music was better than what I heard of his.

Did anyone see Linton Kwesi? I got way too many body aches yesterday to get there early enough to catch him.
    Quote Originally Posted by jr7936 View Post
    i can't see wu tang playing for almost 3 hours though on sunday is the thing
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Did FYF Sean do this schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by adctvprsnlty View Post
    I went both times he hit the Hollywood Bowl in '06 and '07... main differences...
    Thanks for posting this... that violinist was amazing and also - HOT.

Here's a couple of the clips of the infamous "Garbage Tornado".

It was just a 'dust devil' by the way. They happen in the desert when you get in windy areas. Not as powerful as a tornado, but they can easily lift a small shed or a person if you get in it's direct path.

Thanks to whomever shot these...your commentary is hilarious!

AND...