Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: why do people camp at this festival?

Default why do people camp at this festival?

seriously...every day I walk up to the festival and see all those tents and wonder why anyone would want to camp in the desert with no shade. I have camped at festivals before but no way I would do so at this one. 7am wake up call by our solar system's blazing star after sleeping on the ground for 3 hours? how do you people do it? Are the great communal experiences you have on the campsite really worth the pain?

Default Re: why do people camp at this festival?

Quote Originally Posted by Weeping Willow View Post
    seriously...every day I walk up to the festival and see all those tents and wonder why anyone would want to camp in the desert with no shade. I have camped at festivals before but no way I would do so at this one. 7am wake up call by our solar system's blazing star after sleeping on the ground for 3 hours? how do you people do it? Are the great communal experiences you have on the campsite really worth the pain?

you're just a noob

You wake up at 7am open your tent vents and door open 100%, that way you can sleep in till 10am till you feel the burn of doom.

The communal experience > all

After the show from ~115-430am+ (I crashed @ 430) on Saturday there was a mobile drum circle and the year before a riot almost insinuated with RATM fans.

There are a ton of people to meet for many different reasons

$55 > $90/night at overpriced hotels at this time of the year

Friends can all stay in the same area and meet up with one another

The check points to get into the festival are far more relaxed that the regular line and much shorter

You don't waste gas leaving the festival each night/worry about the line of cop cars to the freeway

Girls girls girls!

Boys boys boys!

It's much more fun than sharing a hotel/condo with 5-8 people and only 2 beds and being stuck to your condo/hotel area. You don't have to worry about what time you're all going to the festival because you can walk there as opposed to carpool with 3-5 people. That usually ends up in the dilemma of - we should wait for so and so to get out of that show, well so and so is tired and they want to go now, call up s&s and tell them to come now.

Fuck having YOUR show canceled for your friend who woke their ass up too early and already saw what THEY wanted to see.

I've gone to Coachella for 5 years in a row and camped 4 years in row. The heat is bearable, camping is cheap and convienent, its fun, and you find anything you want to in that little space.

Just watch out for the dredlock narc women.

i never want to camp again. thought it'd be a fun experience but f that. it is way too hot in the morning to sleep and that kind of fucks up the whole day cause you're too tired, dehydrated, and dirty. we broke our spot down and got a room on saturday. camping is for hippies and the poor

You just need to grow some hair on your balls. Or your Vaj.

Lurker

or clean some of the saand out................................loser.

me no camp either.

I like ac

I'm old and a pussy
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

camp and i am older then c dub, but thats just me ... guess i am poor or a hippie or both x****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

its not easy to camp but life is alright because you are so close to the town and all the things that make life easier-ie. fast food places with clean toilets, grocery stores. once you get to night you sleep.
    i did stay at a hotel a few years back and that was worse-too expensive and took two hours to get out the car park...so camping is better, i mean all you need is a floor to crash out on right?

Quote Originally Posted by loser999 View Post
    camping is for hippies and the poor
    LOL ...

...camping is fun.
    "What a horrible noise the plebs make when they're happy"...

Oh Im never camping. I can't be bothered with all the BS that goes along with it.

Camping was a blast this year! That travelling drum circle was amaizng until I got ran over by an electric wheelchair...and the police cops (or "clops" as i will now call them) tried to scare us away...ahahaha
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

Camping makes Coachella what it is.
    '04 '05 '06 '07 '08 '09!

I came from Brazil, for my first Coachella, and camped at the "on site lodging area".

I got to choose that because didin't want to travel all the way from Sao Paulo, making airport connections and stuff, carrying sleeping bags, tend, fan... The price is worth, mostly because I get to be really close to the shows, my tend and stuff where allready there when I finally arrived tired from my 17 hour trip, there was a cocktails bar, amazing breakfast, showers, charging stations for mobile phones, shades and all I needed, without ever having to leave the fest area. had an amazing time, with some confort, at a reasonable price.

but I must indicate a weak point: no after-show parties. not at all. got back from the Justice live act, full of energy, and there was NOTHING happening. couldnt even find a beer! where the hell should we go to keep partying? my friend walked to parking lot 3, where there was suposed to be a party going on, and told me that was nothing happening too. blah... in Brazil we would be getting wild until 2PM

btw > those U$2k Safari Tents sure looked amazing...

camping was pretty fun. You just have to like it or you wont have fun.

A haiku about camping:

Camping is a blast
    Of hot air in the morning
    Hotels are for wimps

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    fast food places with clean toilets,
    fast food places have clean restrooms, well i'll be damned! never seen one myself...

Camping was actually okay, thanks to the great advice given by the veterans. I brought some shade, that I shared with my neighbours, and I was able to sleep until 8.30 everyday. Shower lines were not too long, espeially when you spent most of the wait chatting with cool girls, and the people are just chill and amazing. But boy, it was really cold at night!
    I loved the huuuuge blue tarp tent with orange and purple curtains, it was really convenient to find my own tent just across the fire lane

2nd year coachella ..first time camping!!! man it was a blast! meeting people from all over the world poeple are really nice some dude gave me a bad ass shirt that is like an euilizer and it responds to muisc/ or sound it lights up! i mean ppl are just so cool...if u cant go to sleep at 4 wake up by 9 ..ur a pussy .. i went to sleep at about 5 and still woke up early a little hung over but very able to still enjoy the festival and i still showerd so i was clean .. just drink alot of water there and take a hat and a towel .. its not hard to cool down ...
    I Wanna Drive Into The Sunset

Coachella 2007
    Coachella 2008
    Coachella 2009
    Coachella 2010
    The Big 4 2011
    Coachella 2012 ( I WONT FUCKING MISS IT! )

Banned

camping was fucking awesome... showed up thursday night and hung out with a group of bad ass people... (bad in a good way) positive energy was flowing throughout our site... didnt end up falling asleep my first day there til 7am on the following day... slept til 1030 and all was good...

definitely ALWAYS camping from now on...

Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    camping was fucking awesome... showed up thursday night and hung out with a group of bad ass people... (bad in a good way) positive energy was flowing throughout our site... didnt end up falling asleep my first day there til 7am on the following day... slept til 1030 and all was good...

definitely ALWAYS camping from now on...

i thought u were banned ?

Coachella 2007
    Coachella 2008
    Coachella 2009
    Coachella 2010
    The Big 4 2011

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul86 View Post
    i thought u were banned ?
    i punked them into getting me back on...

thats how SG rolls!

ha ha... it was just a temporary ban, it expired on thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    i punked them into getting me back on...

thats how SG rolls!

ha ha... it was just a temporary ban, it expired on thursday...
    lol SG is the shit!

PEACE!

Coachella 2007
    Coachella 2008
    Coachella 2009
    Coachella 2010
    The Big 4 2011

We got the camping passes but also still had a hotel room so that we could leave when it got hot go nap and shower and do other types of business lol, reload the backpacks with daily needs and headed back. It was the best of both worlds. Although I did get woken up by a horse neighing right by the tent. So if anyone heard the two girls scream out WHAT THE FUCK that would be why.

Until you camp, you'll never understand. Camping is seriously where the party starts early in the morning and ends at night. It's a constant state of party and chill. You'll meet some the chillest people you'll ever be lucky enough to meet and form friendships that last.

Is it hot? Hell yes. Is it worth it? Hell yes.

Quote Originally Posted by loser999 View Post
    i never want to camp again. thought it'd be a fun experience but f that. it is way too hot in the morning to sleep and that kind of fucks up the whole day cause you're too tired, dehydrated, and dirty. we broke our spot down and got a room on saturday. camping is for hippies and the poor
    Camping is for people that know how to have a good time. And fuck you for calling everyone that camps a hippie or poor. People come from all across the world to go to Coachella, camp and have a good time. And trust me, that takes quite a bit of money.
    Last edited by PrettyRagdoll; 04-28-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

Quote Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
    Camping was actually okay, thanks to the great advice given by the veterans. I brought some shade, that I shared with my neighbours, and I was able to sleep until 8.30 everyday. Shower lines were not too long, espeially when you spent most of the wait chatting with cool girls, and the people are just chill and amazing. But boy, it was really cold at night!
    I loved the huuuuge blue tarp tent with orange and purple curtains, it was really convenient to find my own tent just across the fire lane

Hey! You guys gave me and my two buddies vodka today! Thanks!!

[If you can't remember, I was the chick with 'English Dude']

I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyRagdoll View Post
    Hey! You guys gave me and my two buddies vodka today! Thanks!!

[If you can't remember, I was the chick with 'English Dude']
    I was just camping across the firelane from them, but they were a really cool bunch indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
    I was just camping across the firelane from them, but they were a really cool bunch indeed
    Then you were camping just a few tents away from us then! But we spent most of our time in the Gazebo in the Beer Garden before entering the field

camping was AMAZING although i'm scared to do it again. it took a lot out of me. our canopy wouldn't stay up and our tent broke 3 times because of the wind. we had some crazy ass neighbors and one of them tripped out of on acid (i will tell the story in the craziest things you've seen at coachella thread). but our neighbors across from us had a sick set up and great shade and we hung there all weekend. it turns out they were our age and live by us and i think we're going to get some real friendships out of coachella.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

As long as you come prepared i.e. shade canopy, water, Gatorade etc. It's as wild and crazy or sedate an experience as you want it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    As long as you come prepared i.e. shade canopy, water, Gatorade etc. It's as wild and crazy or sedate an experience as you want it to be.
    This is EXACTLY what camping is about.

Drum circle parade at 2am? Not my deal, but it wasn't anything ear plugs couldn't fix. Didn't really bother me, they partied their asses off, didn't hurt anybody, and I got a good nights rest.

Bring shade. Bring water. Prepare to sweat. You'll be fine.