Thread: A Review of Coachella Day 1

Default A Review of Coachella Day 1

Going good! Here's a link to the review.

http://www.instantriverside.com/rive...-1/2008/04/26/

Lurker

Default Re: A Review of Coachella Day 1

Nice piece... However she must off missed Serj, just being himself; the Black Lips busting stuff, literally and Professor Murder just sounding good....

Lurker

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Default Re: A Review of Coachella Day 1

Other than Goldfrapp’s poor first 3 or 4 songs (that’s all I saw before running back to Racontours stage) I really liked Friday. Fatboy Slim and the Battles were a bit hard to get into, but maybe because I was exhausted by Fatboy and dying in the heat around the Battles.

Midnight Juggernauts, a nice surprise, and Sebastian kicked ass in Sarah, with great shows. The Black Kids were a bit out of their element and over there heads but were fun, with the keyboardist keeping it lively and 'Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance' was amusing. Dan Le Sac's, 'thou shall always kill' was great, and funny when the crowd actually made noise, when he was saying "if i ever say, 'Make Some Noise', kill me". I thought the Breeders were powerful and loud, commanding the main stage. I had forgotten just how loud and intense (like Pixies or Sonic Youth) they could be. Caught a bit of Vampire Weekend, which was a fun like Yale kids play beach music, light, hyped.

Then: Tegan and Sara, bit of National I caught, Racontours, Swell Season, Verve all in a row was non-stop musical bliss.

Racontours, showcased a good rocking band that showed why the deserve the praise as well as how amazing Jack White is in any setting. Swell Season was sweet, with fun banter such as ‘how do we play louder than the Racontours’ and a cover of the Pixies ‘Cactus’ as a tribute to Kim Deal.

Verve was mind bending. Despite not touching anything before Northern Soul, even older songs they are touring with such as Gravity Grave, it was compelling throughout. The new songs dipped a bit into shoegaze jams. Ashcroft sang intensely, at times closing his eyes. The obligatory and overplayed Bittersweet Symphony was even near religious. The calmness in front of festival crowds showed but didn’t hinder a clear passion and freshness. Definately Friday's headliner.

Still to me the biggest surprise wasn’t the Verve who I had seen on Northern Soul and suspected would be amazing, but Tegan and Sara who I thought really put on a good show. I thought having Vampire Weekend, Tegan and Sara, Dan Le Sac, Sandra Collins and Mum on the various five stages at around the same time was the biggest conflict of the day.
    Last edited by Hawkings; 04-27-2008 at 11:25 PM.
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance