Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Aphex Twin

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Default Re: Aphex Twin

I don't blame you. The first fifteen minutes or so really threw me off. I was thinking, "WTF? This is what all the hype is about? Weak." The rest of the set was the proverbial face melt but I was too jaded from the hype and disappointing start to realize it. And his music is quite difficult to dance to.

I just wish he would have gotten the time he wanted/needed, even if I was pretty wore down by the end of the set. Friday was a long day.

I doubt you would have liked it much better if you saw the whole set, Salah. You should check out his early ambient works though.

Well all I saw was like maybe the last 5-10 minutes. It was like stepping into another dimension. I just was NOT prepared for it, especially after just being raped by the raconteurs only a few minutes earlier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    Well all I saw was like maybe the last 5-10 minutes. It was like stepping into another dimension. I just was NOT prepared for it, especially after just being raped by the raconteurs only a few minutes earlier
    Oh man, the last part of his set was too much for me too. Even listening to it on the bootleg. From about 10-50 min is really good though, like REALLY GOOD. The whole set was basically one huge buildup and the last 5 min was crazy noise. Hip-hop -----into----> crazy-blast-your-world D&B

= fucking scary

I ended up eating a bunch of molly and finding comfort in the verve. good times. I miss coachella
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I'm missing Coachella A LOT today. I think it's because I just downloaded a bunch of really good Radio 1 Essential Mixes (Deadmau5, Booka Shade, Daft Punk)

Sahara tent... 6 more months... meh...

Out of my two Coachellas, I havent really spent much time in the Sahara tent. I don't know why. I mean I saw Daft in 06, can't remember much else from that year. And this year, well hmm, I'm really not sure

Out of my two Coachellas, I havent really spent much time in the Sahara tent. I don't know why. I mean I saw Daft in 06, can't remember much else from that year. And this year, well hmm, I'm really not sure
    You're messing out. I'd say some of my top ten sets of the weekend came out of the Sahara this year, i.e. Aphex, Adam Freeland, Fatboy Slim, Hot Chip

Aphex was during Racs, so no contest. I was sooo tired waiting for fatboy, I just couldnt stand up anymore, I had head back to camp. No idea who adam freeland is and I made a big mistake seeing Death Cab instead of Hot Chip, but I had a date

Aphex was during Racs, so no contest. I was sooo tired waiting for fatboy, I just couldnt stand up anymore, I had head back to camp. No idea who adam freeland is and I made a big mistake seeing Death Cab instead of Hot Chip, but I had a date
    Check out Coastal Breaks by Adam Freeland. I'd say he's one of the best breakbeat DJ's in the world. I guess I can understand Death Cab a little bit, if only to get in front for Kraftwerk-Portishead-Prince. I bailed midway through Hot Chip since I thought I was going to die from the heat.

Aren't the Raconteurs still on tour? Couldn't you have seen them again some other time?

They completely ignored FL, as if we didn't exist. And I will never say no to Jack White, no matter what, where, or how. I will definitly add Adam Freeland to my ever-growing list

Fatboy on E = the most fun I had all weekend, hands down. Had a sick spot for his playing in the middle of a huge screen, insanity!!!

Yes please!

Attached Images Attached Images

Puck you!

just rub it in my face even more!

yeah fatboy was definitely fun

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

The Youtube clip of Fatboys opening sequence still gives me chills. Especially after I had earlier run over to see the end of the Swell Season and Glen Hansard also made a Willy Wonka reference during one of his songs

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

oh man, salah, coming in on the last 15 of aphex would be enough to make almost anyone never look him up ever again. it was one of the most intense things I've ever heard. probably THE most intense thing I've ever heard. I think it only made 'sense' to people that'd been standing there hearing the whole progression.
    I'd love for them to bring him back for a two hour set next year. when he has more time, he gets more into the acid house

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    oh man, salah, coming in on the last 15 of aphex would be enough to make almost anyone never look him up ever again. it was one of the most intense things I've ever heard. probably THE most intense thing I've ever heard. I think it only made 'sense' to people that'd been standing there hearing the whole progression.
    I'd love for them to bring him back for a two hour set next year. when he has more time, he gets more into the acid house
    100% concur. I was there for the whole thing and was having some serious trouble processing what I was hearing at the end. Now, I'm not even mad, just, impressed really...

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

I was standing withing maybe 20, 25 feet of the subs way up at the front, and for the last 20 minutes or so, I literally could not feel my feet touching the ground, or discern my hearbeat or breathing amidst the sound and pressure not pressure from people, nobody was even rubbing shoulders, even way up front, just the raw sound pressure. I felt like I was immersed, like the sahara tant was a gigantic tank of pure liquid sound. I still get shivers thinking about it. typing this has given me something akin to a psychedelic flashback.

Sounds about right.

A small enclosed room with no windows. And I like it.

When they announced Aphex was going to be there I was like a giddy schoolgirl for like 3 or 4 days. I think I was hugely in debt at the time, but that totally cleared my head and I had a great week because of it. Then all of Friday I was pretty much just waiting to see him (I did enjoy many other acts of Friday, but I would've waited on a barren polo field in the balls-out blazing sun all day if that was the case). I think we got there 3 acts before him just to ensure we had an enjoyable spot with enough room to dance/explode. I've been a huge RDJ fan for a long time now, but I didn't know fully what to expect as I didn't know anything about his live performances prior to Coachella 08. We were on the back edge of the sound booth, and it was freakin amazing. I have to be honest, when he first went on I wondered to myself if it was really him or if the schedule had been changed, but I kept hearing hints of him within the mix so I knew something was going to go down. About halfway through, there was this way intenste bass drop and I looked over at my best friend and was like "Awww yeah!!" and it was like a freakin wave pool of pure electronic musical genius for my ears from there on out. After it was over we all unanimously agreed that we wouldn't be able to properly appreciate any other musical performance after his that evening, so we left. Seeing Aphex was worth the whole price of the weekend, time and money wise. Had there not been a single other act that I enjoyed the whole festival, it would have been worth it to me. Going into it, my friends and I were talking about which songs of his we wanted to hear the most. But after seeing the show and also downloading other live bootlegs of his shows, I'm really glad we got the set we did. It was amazing and will go down for me as one of the highlights of my life. Now, if my utmost wishes are granted (which they probably won't be), for Coachella 09 GV will invite him back and give him a time slot that matches what he planned to play in the first place (which was like 2-3 hours of material). On a side note, that may be why his set worked out the way it did - he found out not too long before his performance that he was only going to be allowed an hour to play, so he had to do a fat amount of changing his plans to accommodate that. I'm rambling now, but these are my thoughts (as scattered and choppy as I could possibly post them) about Aphex's performance Coachella 08.
    Nothing to see here, folks - just move along

^^^ditto. if anyone missed it or wants to get nostalgic i uploaded pretty much the whole set on youtube...just search my name: aphxtwinin

/\ thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna check it out right now
    '99-'11...

i just watched it again myself...4:50 into part 3 is fucking awesome...im still amazed on how great the video and especially the audio quality is since it came from a point and shit sony cybershot....great mic on it

Quote Originally Posted by Stackamynutz View Post
    When they announced Aphex was going to be there I was like a giddy schoolgirl for like 3 or 4 days. I think I was hugely in debt at the time, but that totally cleared my head and I had a great week because of it. Then all of Friday I was pretty much just waiting to see him (I did enjoy many other acts of Friday, but I would've waited on a barren polo field in the balls-out blazing sun all day if that was the case). I think we got there 3 acts before him just to ensure we had an enjoyable spot with enough room to dance/explode. I've been a huge RDJ fan for a long time now, but I didn't know fully what to expect as I didn't know anything about his live performances prior to Coachella 08. We were on the back edge of the sound booth, and it was freakin amazing. I have to be honest, when he first went on I wondered to myself if it was really him or if the schedule had been changed, but I kept hearing hints of him within the mix so I knew something was going to go down. About halfway through, there was this way intenste bass drop and I looked over at my best friend and was like "Awww yeah!!" and it was like a freakin wave pool of pure electronic musical genius for my ears from there on out. After it was over we all unanimously agreed that we wouldn't be able to properly appreciate any other musical performance after his that evening, so we left. Seeing Aphex was worth the whole price of the weekend, time and money wise. Had there not been a single other act that I enjoyed the whole festival, it would have been worth it to me. Going into it, my friends and I were talking about which songs of his we wanted to hear the most. But after seeing the show and also downloading other live bootlegs of his shows, I'm really glad we got the set we did. It was amazing and will go down for me as one of the highlights of my life. Now, if my utmost wishes are granted (which they probably won't be), for Coachella 09 GV will invite him back and give him a time slot that matches what he planned to play in the first place (which was like 2-3 hours of material). On a side note, that may be why his set worked out the way it did - he found out not too long before his performance that he was only going to be allowed an hour to play, so he had to do a fat amount of changing his plans to accommodate that. I'm rambling now, but these are my thoughts (as scattered and choppy as I could possibly post them) about Aphex's performance Coachella 08.
    ...and people want to give Radiohead/Arcade Fire fans shit...

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    ...and people want to give Radiohead/Arcade Fire fans shit...
    It's just too much fun. I'm enjoying it more than ragging on Jack Johnson

So wait, that was an incredibly good Aphex Twin set? Wow. I'd hate to see him on an off night.

Aphex Twin was playing in American Apparel. We thought that was funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggyduck View Post
    More laser beams is ALWAYS prefered to less laser beams. ALWAYS.

you mean you heard an aphex's song in american apparel?

Yes...definitely NOT live.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggyduck View Post
    More laser beams is ALWAYS prefered to less laser beams. ALWAYS.