Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Aphex Twin

Default Re: Aphex Twin

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    Here's my take: It was a mind fuck. The first 20 minutes was meant to shake off the casual listeners. Only the hardcore fans & the curious were rewarded with an AT set.
    i 100% agree.. at first i was like this cant be it somethings coming i know it is....and then it was like a fucking speedball milkshake. one of the best performances of the day. and then to be mellowed out by the verve?

fuck dude, FRIDAY KILLED.
    Jack Johnson set list

"Oh, and my set list wish list is:

Trips and falls coming onto stage
    Tons of problems with sound system
    Hit by a bottle, knocked unconscious
    Gets up, steps on rake which hits him in face and balls
    Vomits
    Big dude rushes stage, punches him in face
    Vomits (reprise)

ENCORE
    Cries
    Struck by lightning"

-----------
    Coachella Vet: 05, 06, 07, 08, 09!

Friday was a great day...
    Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields
    U2: 6/28 @ United Center

anyone that didnt "get" the first 20 minutes is a person that has no clue about the history of electonic music. Straight classic fucking tunes there. Loved every minute. RDJ isnt there to big up himself and do jesus poses and flail around like a maniac. His shows are entirely about the music. Again, his shows are entirely about the music. Also if you thought his tunes were just noise (especially the DNB to drillNbass latter part of the set) then congratulations, he accomplished what he set out to do. Fuck your mind with intense electonic music. I suppose you might be the same person that said WTF? during Dan Deacon and have no clue about Squarepusher. Be careful what you ask for...

Coachella Junkie

The fact that it was "straight classic fucking tunes" was the problem. It was boring bullshit. Nobody there to see RDJ wants to hear some 4 on the floor cocktunes.

sorry he didnt play electro house for you pot, and plenty of people there did want to hear it, whether you like it or not. Im sure you found something else to do.

Aphex failed, because he didnt play & Down like every other DJ at Coachella this year... fuck him.
    Upcoming Shows:

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Aphex failed, because he didnt play & Down like every other DJ at Coachella this year... fuck him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The fact that it was "straight classic fucking tunes" was the problem. It was boring bullshit. Nobody there to see RDJ wants to hear some 4 on the floor cocktunes.

wait...so both of you didn't like it? Paul I thought you just mentioned Friday was great...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Aphex was fuckin amazing, i loved it.... I was just making a sarcastic remark, anyone who didnt like or understand Aphex can go to hell... would u rather hear some shitty DJ like Diplo, who just plays MIA tunes to get people to make noise and prob Boys Noize's & Down to get some response...
    Upcoming Shows:

just wasn't a fan...and how dare you bring up that ass clown, dan deacon. in no way, shape or form is that fucking retard a good "artist." he just got lucky that people think he's creative or whatever and like him...

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Aphex was fuckin amazing, i loved it.... I was just making a sarcastic remark, anyone who didnt like or understand Aphex can go to hell... would u rather hear some shitty DJ like Diplo, who just plays MIA tunes to get people to make noise and prob Boys Noize's & Down to get some response...
    just making sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by GaragePoet View Post
    i've d/l'ed the really excellent bootleg that's circulated already & played it for my roommmates... there's some really annoying dude that keeps screaming "yeah" throughout the set, but my friends pointed out that it does sound a lot like me... i was near the soundbooth, which would be the best plase for a recorder to be, so i think that might really be me. sorry guys, but you're welcome....

I was 15 feet in front of the soundboard so that the front left corner of the barricade was 15 feet being me when I recorded it.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    sorry he didnt play electro house for you pot, and plenty of people there did want to hear it, whether you like it or not. Im sure you found something else to do.
    You are fundamentally confused.

Thumbs up Re: Aphex Twin

I am pleased that RDJ's set caused enough discussion (for good or ill) to get a thread to 5+ pages. That to me equates to his attraction as an artist.

(15 mins in on the set as I type, just getting into the techy house parts No clue how many times I've listen to the set so far...)

For sng's here's his tracklist by year

SOAD - Bootlet (2007?)
    Dub-One (DOA resident 2008?)
    CV - Fear (2007?)

Loved the progression.
    Last edited by audidude; 05-06-2008 at 08:47 PM.

I liked a lot his selection of tracks, like trying to make a little review of his perspective of music in the last 20 years. hip hop, acid house, gabber, drum and bass, jungle, drill and bass. quite a mainstream set for Aphex standards, though. I personally expected more unknown/unreleased tracks, but it was a really nice set nonetheless.

i don't know what you all are bitching about... the first half was amazing... it was just an awesome progression, that's all...

that being said, i was at the railing for RDJ and i still thought Diplo amazed me at how much energy he got going in there...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil50 View Post
    just wasn't a fan...and how dare you bring up that ass clown, dan deacon. in no way, shape or form is that fucking retard a good "artist." he just got lucky that people think he's creative or whatever and like him...
    Apparently you weren't in Gobi when Dan played...his music isn't that great but the spectacle was well worth it...

It was a kick ass good time and if you couldn't enjoy that then maybe you take life a bit too seriously...

as for the AT set...

He blew my mind right out of the water...and then gave me a thumbs up at the end as if to say, "I'm done, you may now return to your regularly scheduled program."

Or Motor, what a fucking hack.

Srsly AFX's set was the best thing Friday. People in the crowd were like "Is that even him? This can't be Aphex." And they left early.

They fucking missed some head damaging shit. I really felt like his progression of music mirrored the change in his own personal tastes (from the more subdued SAW 85-92 stuff) to the more drill n' bass of his later career. Good stuff.

hey quick question...i have been seeing this flac torrent of the aphex set floating around the internets and i was wondering if its of great quality or ok quality like the 80mb one i got yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by Aphxtwinin View Post
    hey quick question...i have been seeing this flac torrent of the aphex set floating around the internets and i was wondering if its of great quality or ok quality like the 80mb one i got yesterday?
    Flac means its uncompressed audio, the files will be much larger but if its from the same source (which I believe it is) the quality increase will be minimal. You just won't get the warble you sometimes get on the high end frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    Srsly AFX's set was the best thing Friday. People in the crowd were like "Is that even him? This can't be Aphex." And they left early.

They fucking missed some head damaging shit.
    alot of people left early because he was playing during the biggest clusterfuck of conflicts of the entire festival... i stayed for as much as i possibly could (and i'm very, very happy to have that mp3 of the entire set so i was able to hear the drillnbass i missed)

It was in the tent for Diplo and MIA came out and the crowd went nuts, I was there to get close for Aphex, when Aphex went on it was sick, the beginning was a little slow and man did it pick up, those guys on the stage in animal costumes dancing to much, I was rolling hard by this point, blew my head off, then stuck around for pendulum, and saw fat boy slim, FBS light show was intense and a sensory overload, going out of my mind...

i heard aphex twin is actually a 70 year old woman with cats. the face you know as rdj is just a cleverly designed robot she sends out to dj.

but yeah i saw that shit rite up froooonnnnnnttttt

Quote Originally Posted by Aphxtwinin View Post
    I have provided 2 versions of my master. One is an mp3, 49meg or so, linked to earlier in this thread. I had to EQ it to make 128kps sound ok. The flacs you've seen seeded are mine as well, tracked and uncompressed. They sound much better, in my opinion. If you got an 80 meg file from somewhere it's not mine unless someone has been tinkering, and I can't vouch for the sound quality. Feedback has been very positive about my recording, although YMMV.

Here it is if you're interested.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...488#post866488

One of my favorite pieces of work from RDJ. Would looove to hear some Live renditions of these songs

I have not heard any solo work from Mike Paradinas though. I think im gonna try to hunt some down right now
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    I have not heard any solo work from Mike Paradinas though. I think im gonna try to hunt some down right now
    What do you mean by that?

Naughton left -Ziq very early on.

All of his other work is pretty much solo as well.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    start w/ -ziq's "Brace Yourself"
    every day, every year

Quote Originally Posted by fober View Post
    What do you mean by that?

Naughton left -Ziq very early on.

All of his other work is pretty much solo as well.
    After I posted that, I went to wikipedia and typed in his name. Saw he is -Ziq. It blew my mind. Call me an idiot for that but I had no idea. I Love that album though.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Ok, so I've nay-sayed on Aphex around here in the past but I've seen the light! Having just downloaded and listened to his Coachella set, I digress, that's pretty fucking impressive. After the endless hype my expectations were sky high going into the set, like another daft punk type moment was going to go down. So jaded that even a great set got snubbed.

His sound is different but listening to the set now I'm thoroughly impressed. Kudos RDJ.

Carry on.

Maybe if I was there from the beginning. Maybe. But I was frightened, Jeff. And I'm not trying to be funny, I was fucking scared when I walked into that tent
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.