Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In depth reviews of Coachella 2008

Default Re: In depth reviews of Coachella 2008

I watched it Andrew, it was awesome. Mine of Lucky Man is almost done. Good review Roberto.

EPIC

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    I watched it Andrew, it was awesome. Mine of Lucky Man is almost done. Good review Roberto.

EPIC

That was my favorite pic that you took.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Chris, we must have been on opposite sides of the center divider during Kraftportisprince. I was right around that same spot.
    If that's the case, we were right behind you.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

didnt you record lets go crazy? I'm trying to find it everywhere.

Nope, I got cut off at the end of Purple Rain, gaurd stopped me, I couldnt do anything else but take photos.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

My pictures aren't very good, but oh well.

Rogue Wave:

Redd Kross:

Les Savy Fav:

dan le sac Vs. Scroobius Pip:

Santogold:

120 Days:

Hotshot:

Stephen Malkmus:

Islands:

Animal Collective:

Swervedriver:

Spiritualized:

performing Soul On Fire:

performing Anything More/Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space

Love and Rockets:

Not pictured: Architecture in Helsinki, Cut Copy, The Verve, Sharon Jones, Black Lips, Professor Murder, Carbon/Silicon, DeVotchKa, Yelle, Prince, Holy Fuck, Duffy, Modeselektor, Simian Mobile Disco, Chromeo.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

ok, this is boss. thanks! guitarist resembles a young j greenwood.

The two best bands I saw at Coachella were Swervedriver and the Verve, with some other bands fairly close behind. When I have more time, I will post a much more thorough and detailed review of Coachella 2008.

Well look who showed up. Have fun with Prince right in your face among other acts? Have fun at the Filter party? You frame your Sweredriver setlist? Im looking at mine right now.

I still have the setlist in my pocket, but mine is handwritten, is yours typed?

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I still have the setlist in my pocket, but mine is handwritten, is yours typed?
    mine is handwritten too. And I got the drumsticks! That shit was so weird. The guy came all the way down just to give them to me. And I didn't even ask for them, i was just talking with suprefan and people behind me when that happened.

Alright, some pics

MGMT:

Holy Fuck:

Les Savy Fav:

Architecture in Helsinki

Linton Kwesi Johnson

Sandra Collins:

Deadmau:

Pendulum:

Fatboy Slim:

Last edited by orbit; 04-30-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Nice Fatboy shots Orbit.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Kraftwerk:

Portishead:

Prince:

DoLab:

Swervedriver:

Spiritualized

Sunday afternoon

Waters

It's over:

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    When the weekend is done I will post mine. Please post your reviews, pics, thoughts, whatever as well. Friday was a good start.
    Just came back home an hour ago ... busy uploading and I have to go back to work in like 6 hours.

I'll start with pics of whatever ...

Campsite

Hot Air Balloon in the Desert During Vampire Weekend

Coachella 2015 Food Wish List
    Food Trucks: Germany's Famous Bratwurst, Fist of Fusion, Komodo, Oooh LaLa Crepes, Ludo Truck, Seoul Sausage, Vizzi Truck, Kogi BBQ

Restaurants: L' Atelier Cafe, Pho Vu, Le Vallauris, Tropicale, Pomme Frite, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Crave, Cafe Scandia, Swiss Donut

WORLD of BEER
    Bring Back The Following:
    KazuNori, At Night + Market Song, Beer Belly, Mexicali, Crossroads, Baco Mercat, Stumptown

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    when does set times come out?

Misc.

Coachella 2015 Food Wish List
    Food Trucks: Germany's Famous Bratwurst, Fist of Fusion, Komodo, Oooh LaLa Crepes, Ludo Truck, Seoul Sausage, Vizzi Truck, Kogi BBQ

Restaurants: L' Atelier Cafe, Pho Vu, Le Vallauris, Tropicale, Pomme Frite, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Crave, Cafe Scandia, Swiss Donut

WORLD of BEER
    Bring Back The Following:
    KazuNori, At Night + Market Song, Beer Belly, Mexicali, Crossroads, Baco Mercat, Stumptown

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    when does set times come out?

Fatboy Slim is such a dork. It is awesome.

idrive, you did not seriously camp next to the Prince flag... I must have walked by there at LEAST 30 times...
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I'll attempt my review

My dad and I showed up early on Friday because we wanted to see as many things as possible. We watched a few songs by Rogue Wave. They sounded alright, but nothing spectacular. I went from there to see Redd Kross, where I had my first of many board meetups. Redd Kross were great. Corinna and I were kinda obsessing over the guitar player, who looked like an incredibly nerdy Michael Stipe. I loved all their songs, and they had great energy. Especially that guitar player. John, Corinna and I walked over to see Les Savy Fav. Battles sounded great as we walked by. Les Savy Fav had a shit ton of energy, and Tim was going nuts, as I expected. I loved the fact that he climbed the scaffolds at the end; that's why I knew I had to see them, and it was definitely a great decision. After that, i went to catch the start of Dan Deacon. The sound was so high in the Gobi that I couldn't even tell what he was playing, so I decided to leave after two songs and a few big dances. I caught a few songs of Jens Lekman with John and Chris (Sonofhal) and I think Stef was there as well. he sounded great, but I knew that I wanted to see all of the Breeders. Turns out they started slightly late, so I didn't need to leave early. I walked over with Nando, then briefly said hi to Valarie, Jennie, Pot and many others, and then watched their set with my dad. The sound was odd, but i loved their songs and they played very well. I really liked that they did Happiness is a Warm Gun. My dad wanted to see Vampire Weekend, so we left one song early. The Do lab drowned out much of Vampire Weekend's set, and they didn't sound as good as past shows, so they were probably my least favorite set of the weekend. My dad left me after that, and I stuck around to hear a few songs from the National, who I planned to leave early so as to get a good spot for Aphex Twin. The National were so good that I scrapped that plan. They were so damn intense onstage, and they were a perfect band to play during sunset. Also, I met Tom for the first time during their set, which was a fantastic surprise. Absolutely great guy. I left one song early from The National to see Aphex. He started with a weird, 25 minute conventional, 4 on the floor set before fucking with the drums and sounding generally Aphex. I absolutely loved it. It was an insane and weird show, and Richard seemed like he was happy it went well at the end. I met with my dad again to see the Verve. One of the best shows of the weekend. They had a sound made for a large, expansive audience, and they absolutely owned. The new songs were great, and the other songs were amazing. I met up with Andrew and Corinna afterwards, and we saw Sharon Jones for a bit. She was fantastic yet again, with probably the most energy of the weekend. We walked over to Fatboy Slim and worked our way into the tent. After 20 min of no show, Corinna and I decided to head over to Black Lips. They sounded great, but I wanted to see Professor Murder as well, so I headed over to Gobi. They started late as well, but brought some major energy. After about 6 songs, I went back to see the end of Black Lips. They played 4 songs I love and then set their guitars on fire, promply destroying them and throwing the charred, bruised remains into the crowd. I went back to Professor Murder and heard the last two songs, which were fantastic.

Saturday my dad and I started late. I told him I wanted to see Man Man, and we got there right before they started. Man Man were absolutely fantastic. They only played one slow song and didn't lack any energy despite the astounding heat. I also found a Roman Candle. As Andrew, John and I walked out, we met Brad, which was pretty awesome. 120 Days started late, but the new songs were fantastic. My dad and I left early to see MGMT. The tent was packed, and it took us a while to get inside. The start of their set lacked energy, and the crowd wasn't feeling it, but the last three songs were massively great, and the crowd responded in kind. My dad left me and I watched Stephen Malkmus. Him and the Jicks sound so tight onstage, which is weird considering how sloppy Pavement were. Malk can really rip on guitar. It was a great set, but I'd seen a similar show last year, so I left after Baltimore to catch Cafe Tacuba. They were good, but nothing that blew my mind. I enjoyed the set, and went over to see Dwight Yoakam, who was my dad's second most anticipated artist. I couldn't find him right away, since he was right up front, but I watched much of the set with Tom, and it was fantastic. He sounded great and the small crowd loved it. I met with my dad about halfway through, and, after Dwight quit rocking we walked over to see the end of Death Cab. We heard I Will Possess Your Heart, which sounded stellar, and then I went to get a good spot for Kraftwerk. The Death Cab fans left, and I wound up about 15 feet from the stage in the center. Kraftwerk were a spectacle in a great way, and I'm glad I got to see them. Portishead were so magical in so many ways. I don't even have words for their set. Absolute love. Prince took so long to start. I was dying from exhaustion, but I knew I had to stick it out, and I was so right. Morris Day and the Mothafuckin time. Sheila E. 1999. Cream. CREEP. I could fuckin' go on and on. I also had douchebag of the weekend moment, when a guy came over, pushed in front of me on the side raid and let his girlfriend in front. I didn't mind that, because she was in bad shape. I gave her my last bottle of water because she looked like she needed something. Instead of taking her out of the crowd, though, boyfriend just kept telling her "you'll be fine" and then watching more Prince. Then, to ice the fuckin' cake, he turned back to me and said, "Hey man, can I have another bottle of water?" Still, Prince fuckin' rocked it.

Sunday we showed up early because I had to meet with my roommates to pack up their sites. My dad and I got inside and, after buying merch, walked towards Annuals. However, we heard the start of Austin TV, and loved it so much we watched the whole set. They were so good, like a calmer EITS (Thanks Chris for that linkage). While waiting for my dad to fill all his water bottles, I watched a few songs from Grand Ole Party. They sounded as good as last time I had seen them. Annuals started with a few sound problems, but they focused fairly quickly. They played quite a few new songs, which were good, and the last song, which was new, was far and above their best song yet. Pa left for Holy Fuck, and I stayed to watch I'm From Barcelona, who were the most fun set of the weekend. They sprinkled us with Confetti, threw out tons of giant balloons, had a superhero onstage and started a train dance in the crowd. The music was fun, but the show was fantastic. I met up with my dad and tons of board people during Duffy, who I enjoyed. She reminded me of a tamer Dusty Springfield. Corinna and I were auditioning to be her backup dancers, along with Alma's mr. Steve. Great fun. Dad and I left to see Autolux, and they sounded really good. One of the new songs they played was my favorite Autolux song yet, by a large margin. It was absolutely killer. We then went back to see Spiritualized with tons of board people. My dad left really quickly because of the sound issues (Kid Sister on one side and Sahara tent on the other+acoustic set=massive bass distortion). Tom, Jeff (York), Andrew and I headed on over to see My Morning Jacket after about 7 songs. We watched the start of the set from the beer tent, where we met up with Pot. We left the beer tent (I saw Gabe on the way out, but MMJ were calling) to get a better spot, and Andrew left us to get a good spot for Love and Rockets. My Morning Jacket sounded absolutely stellar, and were in my top 10 of the weekend without any doubt. I need to see them again. Also, we ran into Pot again. I left with a few songs left because I needed to see Love and Rockets. They, likewise were fantastic. There were so many good bands this weekend that I'm still astounded. I didn't know their music, but both my dad and Andrew were so ecstatic about their set that I had to see it, and I loved every minute of it. They sounded really modern for having written the songs years ago, and they were incredibly tight onstage. My dad and I left with one song left to see Roger Waters. I don't have to say anything about this set, because it's already becoming legendary. Suffice to say, my dad, a longtime Floyd fan, was tearing up and I was laughing at how amazed I was. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. It was a great way to end the weekend, and I should have heeded that feeling. Instead, I walked over to see a bit of Justice. I'd seen something very similar twice before, and after having stood for three days straight, I was in no mood to dance anymore. I left, and ran into Brad on the walk to the car.

Great weekend, and possibly my favorite Coachella yet, in no small part because I met so many of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Nice review Bryan.

I'm going to just divide this among certain categories:

Fucking mindblowing:
    Roger Waters' Dark Side of the Moon
    Portishead
    Kraftwerk
    Justice
    Aphex Twin
    Hot Chip
    Spiritualized

Really goddamn good:
    Goldfrapp
    Jens Lekman
    Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings
    Stars
    Vampire Weekend
    MGMT
    Shout Out Louds
    DJ Mehdi
    Boys Noize
    Grand Ole Party

Good from what I saw/for what it's worth:
    Love & Rockets
    Fatboy Slim
    dan le sac vs. Scroobius Pip (wish I saw the full set)
    Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks (wish I saw the full set)
    Dredg
    Minus the Bear

Okay:
    Black Kids
    Midnight Juggernauts
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Swervedriver

Poor:
    Annuals
    Last edited by PassiveTheory; 05-04-2008 at 08:56 PM.
    Upcoming Shows:

Grazie. I checked the settimes a few times for reminder, but the fact that so many of the bands were so vivid in my mind says a great deal. And, dude, Entrance tomorrow. Excited.

I really, really, really want to make that work. Please let me know when they go on.

Also, Boris at GAMH on August 2nd. You have been warned.

I'll get there between 9:30 and 10:00. I plan on being at that Boris show. Amoeba as well. Fuck yes, this summer is going to rule.

Well look who showed up. Have fun with Prince right in your face among other acts? Have fun at the Filter party? You frame your Sweredriver setlist? Im looking at mine right now.
    Thanks for the videos Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    Les Savy Fav:

Great Photo.

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    /Les Savy Fav:

Corinna, you win best picture ever award.

That motherfucker wass crazy. I need to go sleep off the rest of Coachella now.