Thread: Going only saturday, need traffic advise.

Default Going only saturday, need traffic advise.

This will be my first coachella (couldn't miss Portishead) and I'm wondering what tips you guys have as far as avoiding as much traffic as possible. I am only going saturday, and heading back that night. What time should I plan to arrive in Indio to avoid traffic for the most part? My car tends to heat up pretty quick if I idle to long, and I've heard the roads leading to the parking lot get ridiculously packed.

Is saturday as bad as friday (assuming the bulk of people arrive friday, and leave early monday morning) ? What is the earliest time one can enter the parking lots?

I'm thinking of leaving Burbank (it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive to Indio) around 3am or 4am and getting there as early as possible and just posting up near a parking lot entrance and taking a cat nap if I arrive too damn early. Is this a retarded idea?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Default Re: Going only saturday, need traffic advise.

With Prince, Saturday is going to be the busiest day for sure. I wouldn't leave that early from Burbank. If you wanna be there when the doors open, just leave between 8-9...you'll be more than ok.

good traffic tips here

edit: i personally have never had a big problem with traffic, and i used to make the drive from the lax/south bay area. the guy who wrote that article seemed like he got stuck early in the day.
    Last edited by smoke; 04-25-2008 at 07:56 PM.

oh and if you stay until prince finishes, the parking lot will be a wreck. if your car tends to overheat, don't fight the traffic. just relax in your car until the mess works itself out.

Haha, yeah, that article was part of the reason I became so paranoid about traffic all the sudden. I had planned to leave rather early to begin with to avoid possible traffic at the 10, but I didn't have a clue that the street traffic would be so absurd. I was thinking of taking the 52nd street exit as well. That advice about chilling in the lot after the show is very sound, plus it gives me time to sober up completely and get ready for the voyage home. Do you happen to know the earliest the lots open? Thanks for your help!

Parking opens 9:00am, Gates open at 11:00.

I usually exit on Washington. Just take a good look at a map, there are ways to get by most of the traffic. Just don't go the way the official website tells you!

too bad you missed the train this afternoon .. you could have found a ride back..
    Traffic:
    it is going to pretty heavy going to the desert
    I suggest you leave early... very early..
    It is worth getting there early.. relaxing.. stop by Palm Desert.. chill around the man made lake area.. then go east to Indio..
    And as Baz Lurman says: WEAR SUNCREEN .. it is going to be 100 degres..

Have fun!!!