Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lack of Metal

Default Lack of Metal

I'm new to Coachella, so maybe I don't understand all the musical choices, but why are there no metal bands at the festival? I don't mean crappy mainstream metal, but I think some good underground bands might fit in well with the rest of the atmosphere at Coachella. I could possibly be wrong and someone can enlighten me.

Default Re: Lack of Metal

I agree... Tool headlined last year, but that probably doesn't fit the perfect definition of metal. I would love to see BORIS play. Or Mastodon. In theory, I think Metallica could headline, but there would be a lot of unhappy people.

Like punk, metal is definitely underrepresented at Coachella. It's more of an indie vibe, but I think they could expand their horizons a bit. It's still the best music festival in the world!!!
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.

it's just not that kind of festival is it? i think it is meant to be a lot more laid back.

It's because "Goldenvoice is afraid of to Rock Coachella??"

Coachella is essentially an indie/electronic/underground hip hop festival with a few headliners to ensure more than 800 people show up.
    Last edited by fober; 02-02-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyGuyRy View Post
    I agree... Tool headlined last year, but that probably doesn't fit the perfect definition of metal. I would love to see BORIS play. Or Mastodon. In theory, I think Metallica could headline, but there would be a lot of unhappy people.

Like punk, metal is definitely underrepresented at Coachella. It's more of an indie vibe, but I think they could expand their horizons a bit. It's still the best music festival in the world!!!
    if Metallica headlined coachella it would be the end of the world

Mastodon
    Pelican

that's all I ask for

I hope they get the ONE BAND I want to play Coachella next year. THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN... Highly respected among their peers, pushing the progression of what "metal" is. And they put on one of the craziest live shows you would ever see.. Oh and if we could reunite a "harder" band. My first choice is Refused...

Metallica suck and Pelican aren't metal. Boris would own very, very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    I hope they get the ONE BAND I want to play Coachella next year. THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN... Highly respected among their peers, pushing the progression of what "metal" is. And they put on one of the craziest live shows you would ever see.. Oh and if we could reunite a "harder" band. My first choice is Refused...
    you might as well ask The Beatles to get back together

Quote Originally Posted by AEversW View Post
    if Metallica headlined coachella it would be the end of the world
    It wouldn't be the end of the world... RATM is headlining this year... Tool last year... NIN the year before... Shit, MADONNA played last year. I know Metallica is way different from those acts... but in the topsy-turvy world of Coachella booking, I think Metallica could eventually headline. I'm not really pulling for them to headline, but it could happen, and I'd probably check 'em out, cuz I wouldn't go to see one of their concerts.

I still want to see Boris. Japanese metal = sublime.

hot Japanese girl who shreds better than most dudes = WIN. And their drummer is crazy, too. They put on an awesome show.

It wouldn't be the end of the world... RATM is headlining this year... Tool last year... NIN the year before... Shit, MADONNA played last year. I know Metallica is way different from those acts... but in the topsy-turvy world of Coachella booking, I think Metallica could eventually headline. I'm not really pulling for them to headline, but it could happen, and I'd probably check 'em out, cuz I wouldn't go to see one of their concerts.

I still want to see Boris. Japanese metal = sublime.
    there is a difference between all those bands you named and metallica...they are all better then Metallica. Metallica will never headline and im thankful for that.

Boris would melt the place. Jesu and Isis would be great as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden31 View Post
    you might as well ask The Beatles to get back together
    Worth a try at least they are all alive....... Give me Dillinger!!

Quote Originally Posted by AEversW View Post
    there is a difference between all those bands you named and metallica...they are all better then Metallica.
    Yes, but are RHCP better than Metallica? Or what about Coldplay? Yeah, they're older now and they don't rock like they did back in the day, but still...

Again, I'm not saying I want them to headline, but I think they could... Beware...

metal is just not coachella. go to warped tour

The Fucking Champs would fit in nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by brycerosen View Post
    Is metal not worthy? Is punk not worthy? We're not saying Coachella should turn into some hardcore metal / punk fest, but we'd just like some better representation of those genres. Right now its: Hip-Hop, Electronic, and Indie / Rock music... That's it... Let's expand our possibilities, Goldenvoice! There are plenty of Metal and Punk bands that would be PERFECT for Coachella!

I love Coachella more than any other musical event. Period. And the bands that play at Warped don't usually satisfy my hunger... And the people there aren't as cool as the more open-minded Coachella people. And because they are more open-minded, I think they could deal with a little bit of metal (and punk.)

Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by brycerosen View Post
    metal is not warped tour either

stop being a douchebag

PsyGuy I totally agree with your point. I also think that bands like Mastodon, Boris, Isis, even Converge should play Coachella. They are influential in thier genre and highly respected within and outside the metal community. Coachella to me at least is a festival where the best bands play, not just the best bands in a few genres. If you dont want to see any of these bands...dont watch them there are 4 other acts on at the same time.
    radar has gathered midnight nooses from boxcar cadavers

Quote Originally Posted by AMultitudeOfCasualities View Post
    Coachella to me at least is a festival where the best bands play, not just the best bands in a few genres.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

Refused would be a sick reunion for Coachella. Its bizarre how popular they are now. I saw them back in the day and it was just another hardcore crowd - not that it was a bad thing. Its just strange that they are on the indie radar now...after the fact.

Yes, but are RHCP better than Metallica? Or what about Coldplay? Yeah, they're older now and they don't rock like they did back in the day, but still...

Again, I'm not saying I want them to headline, but I think they could... Beware...
    id rather hvae RHCP and coldplay headline then metallica. I have a better chance of shitting a bottle filled with babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden31 View Post
    metal is not warped tour either

stop being a douchebag

hahaha i think he's looking for Ozzfest

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    I hope they get the ONE BAND I want to play Coachella next year. THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN... Highly respected among their peers, pushing the progression of what "metal" is. And they put on one of the craziest live shows you would ever see..

Dillinger = Ace!

Nice request.
    Distortion 2002 - Download 2003 - Leeds 2004 - Glastonbury 2005 - Leeds 2005 - Download 2006 - Reading 2006 - Coachella 2007 - Reading 2007.

Metal is soft.
    Music Is Crap.

I agree that Mastodon should play at Coachella. No one's mentioned Opeth yet, either. If you haven't heard them, do it immediately. While they get labeled a death metal band, they are so much more musically talented and diverse than the rest of the genre. I think Coachella fans would appreciate that.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
    RIGHT BROTHER

I think the problem is that, in order to fit Coachella's perrogative, if any Metal bands were to be added to the festival, they would more likely than not have to be doing some interesting, progressive music. Thrash, Black Metal, anything Cannibal Corpse-like... Yeah... Probably not.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    I think the problem is that, in order to fit Coachella's perrogative, if any Metal bands were to be added to the festival, they would more likely than not have to be doing some interesting, progressive music. Thrash, Black Metal, anything Cannibal Corpse-like... Yeah... Probably not.
    there is only one metal band that really fits coachella (and would also make the single greatest reunion ever in my personal musical realm) is kyuss.
    where in the f uck is josh homme? or (completeley seperately, i.e. with mondo generator) nick oliveri? it's strange that out of the ten+ bands between those two, not one is at coachella.