Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Sigur Ros

Coachella Junkie

Default Re: Sigur Ros

still comprehending what I saw at the Patriot Center in Fairfax tonight.

all i can say for now is that this might have the most intense live musical spectacle i've ever experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post

all i can say for now is that this might have the most intense live musical spectacle i've ever experienced.
    just makes me more excited...fuck yes.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Fantastic new song. Better than anything I can recall off the last album. Gives me hope for their set.
    lol, because if one new song wasn't good the whole set would likely be a disaster right?
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

they are music gods . If coachella had any sense it wouldve been to headline them over any of this year headliners.

if you are going to shove music down peoples throats make it be this not the stone roses
    Last edited by roboto; 03-25-2013 at 01:46 AM.

How was Tim Hecker??? Really excited for his set tonight! I purposely didn't look at any videos from European shows so I can only imagine what their stage production looks like now

12/18 DJ Qu/Lauren Ritter @ Good Room
    12/19 Matthew Dear/Paco Osuna @ Verboten
    12/20 Solomun/Adriatique/David August @ TBA

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    lol, because if one new song wasn't good the whole set would likely be a disaster right?
    Well I wasn't too hot on their last album. ( ) and Takk are my favorites and I'm not even sure if they're playing my favorites off those. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the set though.

They seem to have dropped many of my favorites like I Gaer, Hafsol, Vidrar, etc, but the songs from the upcoming album sound killer. But most importantly, it's Sigur Rós, and they do soul-shatteringly intense like no other. Can't wait.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

The moment that you realize how pointless it is to go into a show thinking "I need to hear x, y, and z songs for this to be good" is the moment that you will begin to get the most out of your concert-going. Be open to what the artist is trying to do, they're not a jukebox.
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The moment that you realize how pointless it is to go into a show thinking "I need to hear x, y, and z songs for this to be good" is the moment that you will begin to get the most out of your concert-going. Be open to what the artist is trying to do, they're not a jukebox.
    this is exactly how I walked into their Outside Lands set, (after not seeing them for 4 years), and was absolutely mind fucked. Will be doing the same everytime i see them in the next month.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

QFT x1000
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by Aphxtwinin View Post
    QFT x1000
    I think TallGuy has a point. Some bands (but not all) are really about the experience, and Sigur Rós is definitely one of them.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    December
    3 - alt-J - Pageant

Coachella Junkie

here's my "review" of Sigur Ros from last night's show:

Sunday night, I witnessed Sigur Ros live for the first time. Before I go any further into detail, let me preface this by saying that I’ve seen a ton of shows, in all sorts of places, venues, and settings. Everyone from friends to idols. Thanks to my job at The Natl, live music doesn’t seem to do much for me the way it used to. It’s not as exciting anymore. It doesn’t have that “bite” anymore because I’m around it so much.

Now with that being said, what I experienced last night was the most intense musical spectacle I’ve ever seen, heard, and most prominently, felt.

It’s hard to convey this experience into words. I’m honestly convinced that I didn’t see a band onstage last night – but rather some sort of entity, presence, or force that knew nothing except the darker ethereal musical compositions they created, which were in turn complimented by the cold presence of their dark silhouettes that stood before us. There were no words said between songs. No conversation. Just sounds being calmly shattered into a blissful journey of sound and poetry that managed to strike nearly every chord of inside of me from start to finish. Throughout the entirety of the show, I could do nothing but stand, completely hypnotized and at mercy to the group. At times I smiled, while at times I cried. The words meant whatever I felt like they meant. Pieces like “Ny Batteri”,” Vaka”, “Saeglopur”, and “E-bow” sent me into whirlwinds of nostalgic emotion that refused to let go, while the vocal harmonies from the string quartet and brass section during the build-up in “Varuo” left me literally shaking. And then there was the thunderous finale of “Popplagio”, erasing the line between tranquility and apocalypse. I went from feeling energetic to depressed to mournful to gleeful to worthless to peaceful, all while possessed by this onstage fury that obliterated all of us in its path. When the lights came on afterward, I couldn’t say anything. I didn’t want to say anything. I was, and still am, catching up to what I had just seen – and I don’t know if I ever will, fully. And I’m totally fine with that.

The only physical memento I walked away was a setlist with a drumstick taped to it that was thrown to me by a roadie afterward. Everything else is a memory to figure out.
    There are instruments, there are singers, there are bands, there are concerts, and there are effects.

And then there’s Sigur Ros.

Coachella Junkie

Note - though they were on the setlist, Glosoli and Festival were not played.

Note - though they were on the setlist, Glosoli and Festival were not played.
    Thats too bad. Those two were my favourite songs of the set when I saw them a few years back.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie

I would've loved to have heard them, but I'm more than content with what I got.

I have two face value tickets for the Bill Graham show in SF for sale if anybody would like them.

I would've loved to have heard them, but I'm more than content with what I got.
    The setlist is certainly still excellent without those two songs. Glad you enjoyed the show!
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Anyone need a ticket for the 5/26 show in Bend, OR ???
    I've got one, and can't make it to the show.

Had my first Sigur Ros experience last night here in Denver and holy shit...this is going to be epic on the mainstage! here are some pics:

and, I got a lyric sheet!
    Upcoming Shows:

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

good, pictures man. i really like the first one.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    good, pictures man. i really like the first one.
    thanks! and yea me too, I didn't notice the face until I looked at the picture after the show.
    Upcoming Shows:

I haven't seen Sigur Ros since 2008, anything change since then? Really haven't sat down and listened since Takk. I've got homework to do.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

well, i didn't see them in 2008 but they fucking slayed on monday.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I have an extra ticket to their Santa Barbara Bowl show, if anyone's interested. Couldn't quite get a full crew to go to the show.
    GA pit, $60 (less than face), hard ticket. Live in SD (but I'm regularly up in WLA during the week).

Sold.
    Last edited by zeppelin77; 04-10-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

So who is all going to the SB show? I'll be there the night before for New Order as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I have 4 hard tixs for the Bill Graham one up in Norcal that I need to get rid of. I can't make it up there. Anyone here want them? I'm willing sell all 4 for $150, which is 50 bucks off OR work a trade for SB show tixs preferb PIT. could work out the numbers maybe 4 for 3 or something. PM me. Thanks.

PS I'm located in LA but can ship.
    Concert Schedule
    Dips All Day Everyday.
    http://instagram.com/moviebruin

that denver show was so darn good. Happy for all you who get to catch them on this tour.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

For the two "Denver A's", I wanted to go to the show but I need to save some bucks for the summer. They are pretty fucking ok, good, great!!! There almost isn't any conflict that would keep me from seeing them next week. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Their Phoenix show was absolutely stunning. I was expecting the same production/visuals from their cemetery show in August... turned out they were completely different. Really compliments Sigur Ros' music.

Also, apparently there was massive sound bleed at their Coachella set tonight. No surprises there.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

I was at the show in Phoenix as well and it was mind blowing. The new material sounded great and the sound quality was superb. Their visual set-up was the best out of all the times I've seen them. As always "Untitled 8" stole the show with an insanely epic ending. Best closing song ever!