Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigur Ros

Default Re: Sigur Ros

I'd rather they closed a stage, that'd minimize talkers because everyone there would actually be there for Sigur Ros. Whereas if they're before a headliner, depending on the band, I could see a lot of uninterested people talking about stupid shit through the set.

Of course, Radiohead headlined/closed main stage, and I was stuck around obnoxious fucks who talked through the whole thing, so you never know.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Closing the Outdoor or back on the main immediately before the headliner?
    The first idea.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Theyve already played at Sunset. They need to play at night.
    They've played at 9 pm, is that not night enough for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    They've played at 9 pm, is that not night enough for you?
    Not in 2001 is isn't.

just drove by the cemetery, small line, but it looks like they all want to be up front under jonsi's jock.

Because driving by the cemetery 3 hours before the event implies you aren't thinking about doing the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    I'd rather they closed a stage, that'd minimize talkers because everyone there would actually be there for Sigur Ros. Whereas if they're before a headliner, depending on the band, I could see a lot of uninterested people talking about stupid shit through the set.
    I agree that that's the best time and place for them for their next Coachella appearance, but you'll get many talkers at any festival set. I'd go in expecting it. I heard some mumbling here and there tonight but overall Hollywood Forever was pretty damn reverent for an outdoor show. Fantastic night.
    ______
    1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

That was some good shit tonight....

edit: btw, starting with I Gaer seemed fitting to open the set tonight.
    Last edited by suprefan; 08-12-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Almost the best Sigur Ros show I've ever seen, second only to the Hollywood Bowl. The sound was just exquisite tonight. I can't believe we are lucky enough to see this band in its prime. They are going to be the stuff of legend when we get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Holy fucking shit! Easily one of the best shows I have ever been too.
    Where's Underworld and Mew? Make it happen GV.

Without a doubt the most flawlessly executed show I've ever seen. It was absolutely perfect in every way. It was all just so...seamless. They make it look so easy. Getting Glosoli tonight after it not being played at the other two shows I saw this week was pure bliss. The sound was among the best I've heard at any venue. Ever. I mean, this is a stage that is built from nothing at a venue that wasn't intended for concerts. And the sound was better than at most other venues who put on shows on a nightly basis. As soon as the first strike of the snare came at the beginning of I Gaer, I knew the sound was going to be impeccable and that we were in for an incredible night.

This one is going to take a few days to process, but I'm pretty sure it's the best show I've ever seen. And for a show with the insane amount of hype and anticipation that this one had to completely live up to that and even exceed expectations is just insane.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Yeah, I dont have words. Transcendent.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post

And Jesus, those two back to back?!? To finish a show?!?
    YESSSSSSSSSS
    Last edited by cutterbutter; 08-13-2012 at 01:57 AM.

As heard on Twitter:

Help there's a Sigur Ros show across the street and high levels of wonderment and delicate beauty are leaking through my screen windows

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    Almost the best Sigur Ros show I've ever seen, second only to the Hollywood Bowl. The sound was just exquisite tonight. I can't believe we are lucky enough to see this band in its prime. They are going to be the stuff of legend when we get older.

Wow. Please don't tell me that asshole was taking pictures with his Ipad the whole show...

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Still speechless.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Still processing everything but EASILY among the best shows I have ever seen.....as always Untitled #8 was just a monster at the end.

Anyone happen to get a video of Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása? That's the song I've always wanted to see live from them.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Echo & the Bunnymen 8/2, #BEENTRILL#/Jesse Andrews OSL Afterparty 8/8, Sir Paul McCartney 8/14, Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Wow. Please don't tell me that asshole was taking pictures with his Ipad the whole show...
    Ahahaha I actually tagged him as "ipad asshole" on facebook. Nah, he went up probably 10 times throughout the show.

Best concert of the year. Top 10 all time. That band in that venue = absolute perfection. I can't think of one band that is better suited for a hollywood forever cemetery show. I had thought the Bon Iver sunrise show wouldn't be topped but I was wrong.
    Concert Schedule
    Dips All Day Everyday.
    http://instagram.com/moviebruin

Wow, what an amazing night last night. I was quite surprised as to how few people decided to try and get to the front, but it made for a very enjoyable crowd experience. There was also a minimal amount of talking during their set so good work in that respect people of LA. If I had one (small) complaint it was that it could have been just a tad louder, but I was extremely impressed with how cleanly and clearly you could hear everyone on stage. Set list:

PS. nice (briefly) meeting you last night Gribbz!
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by moviebruin View Post
    I had thought the Bon Iver sunrise show wouldn't be topped but I was wrong.
    I was thinking about that driving to work today. While Sigur Ros is clearly a superior band to Bon Iver, I will never be able to shake the vibe of that sunrise show. I've never experienced anything like it. It was like waking up to another dream. This was a standard (and amazing) Sigur Ros show, but that sunrise set was unlike even a normal Bon Iver show. That is maybe the best show I've ever seen in my life, just given the circumstances.

I'm gonna have to figure all this out someday. I know Bon Iver at the cemetery, Sigur Ros at the Bowl, and The Knife at the El Rey are probably my top three of all time, but I can't even think past that.

The show Hollywood Forever was one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had. This was my first time seeing Sigur Ros, so my expectations were naturally quite high. The band easily exceeded them all. We started off laying down in the grass but collectively decided to move up to the “standing room only” area before the band came on. Best decision we possibly could have made.

I’m very happy Sigur Ros opened with “i-gaer.” As Chris said, much more fitting. I’ve never seen a performance quite like this. Sigur Ros sounded so incredibly polished. It felt they’ve been playing music together ever since they were born. “We’ve never played in a cemetery before. This is spectacular.” I love how soft-spoken Jonsi is.

As we were walking through the cemetery towards the exit, we noticed that various amps were set up between the tombstones. This is where the recorded fan stories were broadcast from. It was very haunting to hear people tell stories of lost loved ones while walking through Hollywood Forever.

Everyone has lost friends and family over the years… but I couldn’t help feel the connection with two of my best friends who passed away years back. I felt like Sigur Ros was playing specifically to them. This was the first show where I actually started crying. I feel like tearing up just writing this. I’m very fortunate and happy I could attend this performance with so many good friends (good meeting you Icy and nosurprises). Hopefully a bootleg surfaces at some point.

Cheers

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Nice meeting you too, Gribbz. Sigur Rós were definitely on point. Not sure what else to say.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

All of these reviews make me almost regret passing up some tickets to this last night, im not a big fan of the Ros though...Hollywood Forever shows seem to be the new gold mine for live performances. Very excited for the XX.

whiney pain in butt

can we have that set list on this page please, and yes, i'm way to lazy to look elsewhere.

also, i was like 2 blankets behind supre and he blocked my view a few times to take vid/pics. it's was all good though AMAZING SHOW

Í Gær
    Ekki Múkk
    Vaka
    Ný Batterí
    Sæglópur
    Svefn-g-englar
    Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása
    Olsen Olsen
    Hoppípolla
    Með Blóðnasir
    Festival
    Varúð
    Hafsól

Encore:
    Dauðalogn
    Glósóli
    Popplagið

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    All of these reviews make me almost regret passing up some tickets to this last night, im not a big fan of the Ros though...Hollywood Forever shows seem to be the new gold mine for live performances. Very excited for the XX.
    Do you have any extra tickets for the show? My g/f really wants to go.

There are normal bands and there is Sigur Ros. They wet above and beyond last night. Still trying to wrap my head around it. I've never felt so many different emotions in a span of a couple hours as I did last night. Truly moving.

PERFECTION!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    There are normal bands and there is Sigur Ros.
    Seriously. Who else would you put in this category? Cause they really are a in a league of their own.