Thread: Best places to eat/drink in the Cathedral City/Palm Springs area

Default Best places to eat/drink in the Cathedral City/Palm Springs area

I'm looking for recommendations on the best places to eat and drink during my first trip to California this upcoming Coachella weekend. Our hotel is in Cathedral City. I know my first order of business as soon as the plane lands is finding an In and Out burger, because after hearing about them for so many years I must finally see what all the fuss is about. Someone in another thread recommended the Village Pub in Palm Springs, so we're gonna plan to check that out one night. Any other spots that we need to go to? I'm coming from Houston where Tex-mex is a staple meal. I am a little curious to check out some California Mexican food to see how it compares to what we have here. We love a GOOD margarita so if there is any place that offers those in the area let me know.
    Last edited by Harrisment; 04-21-2008 at 08:01 AM.

Default Re: Best places to eat/drink in the Cathedral City/Palm Springs area

the in and out is on I10 and ramon drive.
    theres a great texmex place in cath city(I think).
    right on the gene autrey trail in the same shopping center as a big lots.
    we go there every year, great food and the price is nice.
    I'm going to put your sidekick in my mojito.

mexican food is different from tex-mex, so if you're expecting something similar, prepare to be disappointed.

there's plenty of great mexican food to be had in cali though. also, in-n-out, definitely hit that up.

Chicali Tacos is possibly the best taco shop in the Coachella Valley (I grew up in the area). Here is the address:

35943 Date Palm Dr
    Cathedral City, CA 92234-6658
    Phone: 760-202-8794

Sub King also makes pretty awesome sandwiches. There's a couple location in Cat City...one on Date Palm and Ramon and another on Palm Canyon, just East of Cathedral Canyon.

You can get good margaritas at Las Casuelas Nuevas, which is in Rancho Mirage (the town right next to Cat City). Its a nice Mexican restaurant. I think their food is overrated, but that's mostly because I am a super snob about my Mexican food. Most people find it good though.

BTW, In-in-Out definitely makes a good burger, but Cat City also has a local franchise of another California burger chain called Fatburger that makes equally awesome burgers.

Hope this helps!

Just remember, when at In & Out, order your burger Animal Style.
    Also get the fries Animal Style.
    You will thank me later.
    Cheers

Awesome guys, thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll be sure to check out some of these spots and report back on what we thought.

And I'm not looking for tex-mex when I'm in Cali. I'm looking for cali-mex!

vagina is really good to eat @ coachella

http://www.in-n-out.com/secretmenu.asp

If you go, you have to be prepared to order off the secret menu.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

sorry to hijack but i've got a question too - apart from Denny's, what else is open past midnight (restaurant NOT fast food)? looking for a place to dish w/ friends and get some grub @ after a tiring day on the field. any Fatburgers in the vicinity?

Quote Originally Posted by weezy f baby View Post
    I prefer the tossed salad.

Quote Originally Posted by weezy f baby View Post
    I've had this in Texas but I'm anxious to see what variations are used on this dish in Cali. I'm guessing avocado + bacon + vag sandwich?

Very helpful guys!!! (Aside from the vag comment, LoL!)

It's my first time to Coachella too and I'm so psyched! Thank God I'm going with a bunch of people who've been going for years... Out of the topic though, do phones work? I'm thinking of getting a two-way radio, if phones don't work.

Thanks!

Exclamation Re: Best places to eat/drink in the Cathedral City/Palm Springs area

Quote Originally Posted by SmokesQuantity View Post
    Sub King also makes pretty awesome sandwiches. There's a couple location in Cat City...one on Date Palm and Ramon and another on Palm Canyon, just East of Cathedral Canyon.
    both of these are GONE...
    one on ramon & date palm is a ALKOBAR now and they have nice sandwiches + filipino food too
    try the chicken adobo
    they have take-out & the # is 760 328-0054
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

For anyone who happens to come in off the I-10 / Monroe exit towards the polo grounds, stop at a lil spot called El Taco Maco the best tacos, burritos in Indio. Its off Monroe & Dr Carreon behind the Longs Drugstore you will not be dissapointed TRUST me. There is also a Daily grill restaurant they're both delicious.

also go check out www.thedesertsun.com then go to Living/Dining section it will let you know everthing you need to know for dining in the desert.

Someone recommended Las Casuelas last year and I pass on that recommendation this year. Great food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Las Casuelas is a huge disappointment for anyone who likes authentic Mexican food. It's more along the Tex-Mex line. There is a great Place at Date Palm and Hwy 111 Called Enchiladas. Try the Torta Ahogada if you like it spicey.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by Harrisment View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations on the best places to eat and drink during my first trip to California this upcoming Coachella weekend.
    I've lived in San Antonio for 10 years, but grew up in SoCal, so I think I have a good perspective on this....but I can't recommend any places specifically in the Indio/PS area, because I'm not from there.

In-n-Out is good, and you should definitely try that. But it's not THAT good, IMHO. The problem is generally that you have to wait in line FOREVER, unless you go there at some oddball time, like 3 in the afternoon or 11 at night on a weekday. How long of a line? Try waiting in line in the drive-thru for 30-45 minutes...no joke.

Tex-Mex vs. Cali-Mex...really not THAT different. Sure, there might be a few dishes you haven't seen, but generally speaking S. Texas has a greater *variety* of Mexican food than Cali. They're more into burritos and fish tacos in Cali. I don't think I've ever seen menudo, cabrito, chalupas, gorditas, and a number of other dishes in Cali, but I can't think of any Mexican dishes I've had in Cali that I haven't seen a dozen times in S. Texas.
    -------------------------------
    Coachella
    2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012.1
    Lollapalooza
    1991, 1992, 2003

Banned

me and my wife invade this hole in the wall taco place off i-10 and washington close to the gas station right there. big-ass burritos at a decent price! we buy one and store in my special heat cooler for after the show and grub while we r in the lot leaving! good place for cheap good filling food!

Banned

in and out is good if u like a cheap burger but make sure and ask for animal style!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tchuess View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen menudo, cabrito, chalupas, gorditas, and a number of other dishes in Cali, but I can't think of any Mexican dishes I've had in Cali that I haven't seen a dozen times in S. Texas.
    You are going to all the wrong places then. Btw the best place to eat is at my grandma's house every mornin before the fest now thats some real mex food!!! its been a tradition the last couple of years. She makes breakfast/lunch each day so I show up nice and full to the fest & since I can leave the polo grounds and re-enter I dont have to worry bout droppin loads in the port-a-shits(ewwww)LoL I should have her make a bunch of burritos and sell them in the Lot..........or jus give them away? I feel sorry for sum of yooz that I see in the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar's Cousin View Post
    Las Casuelas is a huge disappointment for anyone who likes authentic Mexican food. It's more along the Tex-Mex line. There is a great Place at Date Palm and Hwy 111 Called Enchiladas. Try the Torta Ahogada if you like it spicey.
    I wouldn't 'authentic' Mexican from 'authentic' Moroccan. It's just good eats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by scoop49er View Post
    me and my wife invade this hole in the wall taco place off i-10 and washington close to the gas station right there. big-ass burritos at a decent price! we buy one and store in my special heat cooler for after the show and grub while we r in the lot leaving! good place for cheap good filling food!

I believe you speak of Las Carretas.

There is a new place in the Albertsons Shopping center a little further south that is also very good. It's called El Molcahete.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

I can vouch for El Molcajete. They make pretty good foor.

BTW, tchuess you are way off about Cali-Mex (truthfully, I think there's no such thing. I just call it Mexican food) food. Basically every good taco shop in SoCal serves menudo, cabrito and pozole (including many in the Coachella Valley)...chalupas and gorditas aren't as easy to find, but they aren't that hard either.

If you're up for vegan fare, I would recommend Native Foods in Palm Springs. It is amazing! The vegan BLT I had last year was otherworldly, seriously. I'm not vegan, but I appreciate great food--and this place was awesome.

Also, the Round Table in Indio is a hangout on the 100+ afternoons when you aren't scheduled to see anyone until 4pm... ;-)