Thread: Rothbury vs. High Sierra

Hippie

Default Rothbury vs. High Sierra

For all those jamband fans out there (I know there aren't too many because a lot of you electro-indie-hipsters are just way too hip to ever consider hanging out with hippies) which festival are you going to 4th of July weekend?

Practically all of my friends are going to Rothbury but I've heard so many good things about High Sierra and I've never been there before. While both fests have rather weak headliners, the rest of both lineups are spectacularly great.

Rothbury has: STS9, Mule, Primus, Thievery Corp, Citizen Cope, Gogol Bordello, Medeski, Derek Trucks, Zappa Plays Zappa, The Secret Machines, and Greyboy Allstars

High Sierra has: Mule, Bela Fleck, Buckethead, Dumpstaphunk, Built to Spill, Benevento/Russo Duo, The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis, Critters Buggin, BLVD, Blue Turtle Seduction, and the Mother Hips

I'm really leaning towards High Sierra. What do you think?

Default Re: Rothbury vs. High Sierra

I love Blue Turtle Seduction, They are a local group. I'm not sure I'll be going to High Sierra, even though its like only about an hour from here. It is a pretty kick ass festival even if you don't (and I don't) like much of the music.

Hippie

I heard from many sources that the scenery is beautiful, the sound is great and it's an all around professionally run festival. With Rothbury being in it's first year I'm skeptical.

Yeah, BTS rules!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    For all those jamband fans out there (I know there aren't too many because a lot of you electro-indie-hipsters are just way too hip to ever consider hanging out with hippies) which festival are you going to 4th of July weekend?

Practically all of my friends are going to Rothbury but I've heard so many good things about High Sierra and I've never been there before. While both fests have rather weak headliners, the rest of both lineups are spectacularly great.

Rothbury has: STS9, Mule, Primus, Thievery Corp, Citizen Cope, Gogol Bordello, Medeski, Derek Trucks, Zappa Plays Zappa, The Secret Machines, and Greyboy Allstars

High Sierra has: Mule, Bela Fleck, Buckethead, Dumpstaphunk, Built to Spill, Benevento/Russo Duo, The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis, Critters Buggin, BLVD, Blue Turtle Seduction, and the Mother Hips

I'm really leaning towards High Sierra. What do you think?

High Sierra also has Micheal Franti & Spearhead and Bassnectar. It's basically the closet festival around here and this is the 1st time that I've actually took notice of it's lineup. Maybe if they sell 1-day tix, I would go. Right now, $136 for a 2-day is a lil' steep.
    Last edited by gmoneyak; 04-20-2008 at 10:38 PM.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

I like he high sierra lineup.

Hippie

I realize Michael Franti is a big name and draw but I really can't stand his music. I've yet to see Bassnectar so I'm looking forward to it.

Here's a question: who's a better guitar player Prince or Buckethead?