Thread: Leaving the venue in the morning if you camp

Default Leaving the venue in the morning if you camp

Camped in 06 and loved having a car with us. Air conditioning, ice chest with beer, etc. However, we never left out of the parking lot.

Didn't camp in 07 but remember how long it took to get into the venue each day. we came in later that year, usually around 2ish.

Someone mentioned it wasn't a good idea to leave the venue and just want to hear some other opinions.

Since I can plan on waking up at 7am, I was thinking of driving to a near by store, staying out of the sun, grabbing some breakfast and make our way back by the time the festival gates are opening.

I'm thinking Friday morning would be a terrible time to do this, but maybe not so bad Saturday or Sunday.

Has anyone done this? How bad does the traffic get before 11? Since I'm camping, will that cut it down a bit?

Thanks

4 more days people!

Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Default Re: Leaving the venue in the morning if you camp

traffic before 11am can get bad, but I would expect it to be easiest on Friday. Just plan the traffic into your travel time and try to be back to the grounds by 11 or gates, sometimes the traffic coming back is worth the meal and AC
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

Ya last year and the year before we made several trips out of the campsite, to refill on WATER groceries ice and beer. It's never been a problem and I never noticed any traffic problems at all, very light, no lineups to get out or anything. It did take us a while to find a store (in 2006 we drove around in circles and all we saw for about a half hour were these gated communities. We finally found this ghetto convenience store that was super old and out of place. last year we drove for ten minutes and got to this big shopping centre with a huge grocery store. so maybe take a look at some maps so you know where you are going beforehand? but you don't need to you can jsut find stores like we did if you want). We left the site around 9-9:30? and were back around 11.

nice. sounds good.. Thanks guys
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

last year i went to town every morning around 10 or 11 maybe a little earlier. Went to subway, a mexican restaurant, grocery store, wendy's.....overall it's a great way to kill time out of the sun and in the AC. plus i had to buy a new pair of sunglasses everyday cause i kept losing them....

The pre-show air conditioned breakfast is the only reason I keep bringing a car - even though I carpool, I feel like such an environment killer driving around instead of just eating on site. But I must say, few things feel better than waking up at 9am in the 100 degree heat and knowing you will soon be at IHOP, using a real and clean restroom, and hogging on free ice tea refills. I don't even care that there is usually an hour wait, it's cool in there and you get to chill with other festival goers, (and the occasional pissed off and confused local). If you don't want to wait that long, Palm Springs is only a few minutes away and there's a Carrows and several other cheap but bearable restaurants right off the freeway. I've never had a problem with traffic in the mornings, especially since there is that campers-only entrance through that round-a-bout.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    tomato soup looks and tastes like vegetable menstruation.

Leave early early if you can, make yoru run fast and get back to the parking lot for campers. They close it off after a certain time now, so even if you had a parking placard for camping they wont let you in.

Oh yeah, there aren't reserved parking spots or anything like that too so if your car is close to the campsite, it might be a good idea to keep the spot and avoid leaving if you can. On the other hand, if you got screwed for parking and are miles from the campsite, an early morning trip to town will probably end up getting you a better parking spot when you return.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I did this several times. You can pretty much drive to and from anywhere in town as long as you are back before 11 ish you are golden!

I camped in '06, but we did a blitzkrieg camp; showed up at 11am, went in, set up camp AFTER Daft Punk (how the shit we accomplished that I have no idea), woke up Sunday around 7, packed up camp, went to town, ate, shit/shower/shave and came back. Parked in "regular parking" near a church or something and left after Tool.

I need a clarification since I'm camping Thurs-Mon this year: am I to understand that the campsite parking is basically a guaranteed spot for campers? I'm not REAL concerned about leaving and coming back and getting stuck near the back of the camping lot, I'd just rather not have to walk a 1/2 mile+ to get to my car like I did after Tool.

Takes forever, not worth it, not doing it again. Made us miss the Frames. Just come completely prepared the first time and save the hassle.

Not worth it.
    '04 '05 '06 '07 '08 '09!

We always hit Denny's for breakfast, and a poo in proper facilities. Getting back in is not a big problem if you come back quickly.
    Practicing active avoidance of cognitive dissonance since 1976.