Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24 Hour Party People

vinylmartyr

Default Re: 24 Hour Party People

You a manc then?
    I'm sorry I don't know what this means. If it means am I from Manchester no. I am American.

vinylmartyr

That Blue Monday single was very popular in America also and can be found at many used record store as well as thrift stores. Also I sell records for a living.

Bloody hell, you're up late.....not got a job!!?
    So have you actually read what i've been on about then....and apart from the Sex Pistols bit ( they actually played a t the Boardwalk which Tony Wilson actually owns) whats your view then....?

apologies, you your post hadn't come up then...yoe do work then!!!!

vinylmartyr

I am completely uneducated about that scene. Whatever you say I will take as gospel. I seen the movie.

Ok so as an american...and a record seller, Are you gullible like a lot of Americans or do u watch the film and have your own opinions about it?....for example whenever us Brits watch an American action film, we know it is just another 'Lets make America look great and save the world ' type of film. It is the same with this. Tony Wilson wrote it as a biography but everyone actually hates him..including the Happy Mondays so it was very tongue in cheek...and not altogether true.
    And you must know that Joy Division were Punk and developed to post punk. Their early tracks after they were called 'Warsaw' were proper punk songs.

vinylmartyr

Not knowing the true story and not really researching about the scene (I assumed incorrectly) that it was close to the truth. I welcome the truth from someone who has lived it. Please educate me.

vinylmartyr

P.S I was 6 in 1980.

ok!...sorry but I was just getting a little frustrated by all these young Americans who are very opinionated but don't actually read what has been said before replying.
    If you actually watch the film...which u have, you will see the 'tongue in cheek' aspect with certain characters looking directly at the camera in a documentory type style and saying ' I don't remeber that happening'!
    Most of the basic facts are represented, but the main point I was making is that The Hacienda was the mecca which brought music to the masses....it didn't actually start rave...the punk / rave argument is such that the venue and what happened there made people aware of new music and the party atmosphere was born in Manchester (largely helped by drugs....which is what eventually got the place shut down!)
    I was actually there one night in 1990 when a rival gang of the doormen burst in and shut the place down!!

vinylmartyr

Well Randy if your in the camp ground you can school all these poser know it alls about the Manchester scene. I would love to have a drink and hear some stories.

No worries. A couple of light beers it is!!!!!.....I have actually had a drink with Bez(from the Happy Mondays) as well and Mike Skinner from 'The Streets'..if you've heard of them?

i thought it was quite sweet and respectful in its treatment of ian curtis actually.

Quote Originally Posted by codytwo View Post
    I just watched this movie for the first time last night, and it was great. Now I'm looking forward to catching Happy Mondays, although I'm sure Shaun Ryder is just another fat, old former(?) heroin addict by now. The era covered by the movie is the one part of recent musical history that I know almost nothing about. I had always read about Joy Division and New Order on this board and elsewhere, but never took the time to get into the music. Its cool, discovering bands that were around more than 20 years ago that still don't sound like too much other music. Also, its really interesting to see how the rave scene was basically birthed form the corpse of punk.
    He is kinda fat. He is very important to me and my musical tastes though
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by randy ricochet View Post
    Ok so as an american...and a record seller, Are you gullible like a lot of Americans or do u watch the film and have your own opinions about it?....for example whenever us Brits watch an American action film, we know it is just another 'Lets make America look great and save the world ' type of film. It is the same with this. Tony Wilson wrote it as a biography but everyone actually hates him..including the Happy Mondays so it was very tongue in cheek...and not altogether true.
    And you must know that Joy Division were Punk and developed to post punk. Their early tracks after they were called 'Warsaw' were proper punk songs.
    One of their better tracks me thinks.
    The Glitter Freeze

When called 'Warsaw' they released the Warsaw demos before renaming as Joy Division. These were very punk.

[QUOTE=randy ricochet;35538]When Warsaw...before that Stiff Kittens. That variation(S) was indeed punk. But you didnt say that..hence the confusion. My elder brother saw them as Warsaw at the Electric Circus with Buzzcocks...

And while chicory Tip has been around longer than Kraftwerk, .I wouldnt exactly call son of my father a great Synth hit. Kraftwerk were pioneers in electronic music.There is no denying that.

and love, i am english, i was also "there" in the scene and i am not some young american. But its still nice to get someones knickers in a twist
    This is a healthy arguement...Shouldn't get all worked up about it. Meet me after the Mondays show and i'l buy you pint.:wink

and my remark about reading up on the history of Manchester music wasnt intended for just you.

on another note..since you are a manu person.. what do you think of the bio film that Anton Corbjin is filming based on Ian's Widows book?
    "I am just a watery Tart with a sword in her hand."

Quote Originally Posted by randy ricochet View Post
    I will say this for the third time, I used to go to the Hacienda so I know more than u fuckin yanks!
    New Order where the first band in Britain who brought Electronica / rock / post punk music together. I know about Kraftwerk but if you want to be clever, the first band to revolutionise electronic Synths was a band called 'Chicory Tip'...Wanker!
    Joy Division where a Punk band, however there mainstream music later on did wave towards goth.
    And like I said originally, rave emerged from a fusion of Detroit house, Italian Piano house and euro techno.( Detroit taking its influences form tribal / carribean music)
    Raves had been going before the hacienda...In Blackburn North England as well as a select few other plavces in Britain. Do check your fucking info..!
    And I know Hacienda wasn't a rave venue, It started as a live music venue...(Why don't you kids read before mouthing off....ie Madonna played there. And it developed that rave nights where held there with Graham Park, who was the original Hacienda DJ....like most rock clubs in the UK, they started holding rave / house nights..usually on a friday.....once again, I know cause I was there.......and yes it is a great film but is not totally true, you Americans will believe everything you hear!!
    Tony Wilson is a cock by the way!!
    Badda fuckin bing!
    I have been there as well, saw a nasty fight, members of New Fast Automatic Daffodils.

I'm also a yank.
    The Glitter Freeze

My Apologies SWEETSHIVERBURN, I didn't actually look where you were from (ie not America) I was geting a bit defensive there...but I'm sure you appreciate that!!!...some of these American kids spend a lot of time reading and think they know it all.
    I know Kraftwerk were the ultimate electro band, I was just trying to be smart....Its actually a good song (chicory)...aren't you clever knowing that one!!! (patronising as well as defensive!!!).....I'll get you a pint I reckon. Last time I saw mondays was at the Get Loaded in Clapham common...apart from Shaun being absolutely fucked they were great. was only 3 of original band and one of the other 2 was living with girl i was going out with.....and because of that i was in VIP tent with bez....who wasn't fucked out of his head at all!!!!!!
    Oh and I'm actually from Preston.

Havn't read 'Touching From Distance' but I hear the film is supposed to be very good. When is it out?...can't be far off!!

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    I have been there as well, saw a nasty fight, members of New Fast Automatic Daffodils.

I'm also a yank.
    Who were NewFads fighting with? Fights were usually pretty bad there cause of all the drug gangs from Moss Side. Some of the bouncers who worked with them let them into the club to sell, but they started taking the piss and letting guns/knives in and rival gangs used to come down and it got nasty!

oi. cor blimey i'm bleedin knackered.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Fur sure!