Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 Hour Party People

Default 24 Hour Party People

I just watched this movie for the first time last night, and it was great. Now I'm looking forward to catching Happy Mondays, although I'm sure Shaun Ryder is just another fat, old former(?) heroin addict by now. The era covered by the movie is the one part of recent musical history that I know almost nothing about. I had always read about Joy Division and New Order on this board and elsewhere, but never took the time to get into the music. Its cool, discovering bands that were around more than 20 years ago that still don't sound like too much other music. Also, its really interesting to see how the rave scene was basically birthed form the corpse of punk.

Default Re: 24 Hour Party People

yeah i enjoyed that movie way more than i thought i would.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

why isnt this in schoolios section?

It's a music-related movie, thereby coachella related, whereas schoolio's thread is not really coachella related.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

this movie was great ... kind of a cliff's notes to the 80s in Manchester.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

This is one of my favorite movies ever.

I find it very interesting that two genres which today most people see as almost polar opposites ("dance" and "punk") were once so intertwined as to be almsot indistinguishable.

Quote Originally Posted by codytwo View Post
    I find it very interesting that two genres which today most people see as almost polar opposites ("dance" and "punk") were once so intertwined as to be almsot indistinguishable.
    um, huh? this may take some 'splainin ...

Labels in general suck as it's open to so much interpretation, but today people see them as "polar opposites"?

I think you can find some acts out there today that some folks would specifically label as "dance punk", some within the lineup (take The Rapture for example, possibly !!! .. or past acts like The Faint or Radio 4)

again, open to interpretation

I was referring to the rave culture, the birth of which is depicted in this movie, vs the punk culture from which it emerged.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    This is one of my favorite movies ever.
    I agree! I stumbled across it on TV one night and thought "why haven't I seen this before?!?" So many legendary bands, plus the birth of the rave scene and the legendary Hacienda. Not to mention the witty humor. A must see for any Manchester music fan or raver. (or movie fan for that matter)

its
    MADCHESTER foos

hmmmm...me thinks I'll be out at the video store later today....
    I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

I was referring to the rave culture, the birth of which is depicted in this movie, vs the punk culture from which it emerged.
    Rave culture didn't emerge from punk culture. The Hacienda club in the film (where I used to go when younger) was one of the original rave clubs in northern england which housed early Detroit house dj's, Italiano piano house and european techno to create the rave scene....So there!!!!!!
    The sex pistols performed at the Hacienda which made them famous as did Madonna who was nothing in England before that performance. The Hacienda was part of the original warehouse scene of rave/drugs and Paaaaaaaaaaaaaartteeeeeeee people! So it was down to the venue not Punk.

speaking of 24 party ppl,
    did anyone else see tony wilson when he introduced gang of four back in 05?
    i didnt even know that was him till the week after. i guess thats another tie in for coachella and the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by randy ricochet View Post
    Rave culture didn't emerge from punk culture. The Hacienda club in the film (where I used to go when younger) was one of the original rave clubs in northern england which housed early Detroit house dj's, Italiano piano house and european techno to create the rave scene....So there!!!!!!
    The sex pistols performed at the Hacienda which made them famous as did Madonna who was nothing in England before that performance. The Hacienda was part of the original warehouse scene of rave/drugs and Paaaaaaaaaaaaaartteeeeeeee people! So it was down to the venue not Punk.
    You are an idiot. The Sex Pistols were famous long before the Hacienda Club existed. In fact, the Hacienda Club opened in 1982, and The Pistols broke up in 1978. Factory Records owned and operated the Hacienda, and they were the quintessential post-punk label. Joy Division and New Order were both on it. The same people were behind both scenes in a large part. And I hate you.
    Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I can't tell a british accent from a gay accent.

Talking Re: 24 Hour Party People

You are an idiot. The Sex Pistols were famous long before the Hacienda Club existed. In fact, the Hacienda Club opened in 1982, and The Pistols broke up in 1978. Factory Records owned and operated the Hacienda, and they were the quintessential post-punk label. Joy Division and New Order were both on it. The same people were behind both scenes in a large part. And I hate you.
    cody, your my hero

Alright I made a mistake, He saw the Sex Pistols in Manchester then set up Factory records and the Hacienda. New order who were punk as Joy Division became the first major Electronica band which broughtabout the dance culture to the hacienda. ie. 'Blue Monday' influenced by Euro house/techno which i mentioned.....and I was there in the 90's you fucking tosser.
    The rave scene had been going for a couple of years in illegal warehouse parties before it went to the Hacienda, hence it was about the venue not Punk.
    wanker!

No, you didn't make a mistake. You're just fucking wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I can't tell a british accent from a gay accent.

Calm down for fucks sake. The Hacienda is just a load of poncey apartments now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by randy ricochet View Post
    Alright I made a mistake, He saw the Sex Pistols in Manchester then set up Factory records and the Hacienda. New order who were punk as Joy Division became the first major Electronica band which broughtabout the dance culture to the hacienda. ie. 'Blue Monday' influenced by Euro house/techno which i mentioned.....and I was there in the 90's you fucking tosser.
    The rave scene had been going for a couple of years in illegal warehouse parties before it went to the Hacienda, hence it was about the venue not Punk.
    wanker!

cum again about Jd was punk??? really?? Could have fooled every little goth girl and boy i know. Punk they were not. new wave electronic.. you could say.

Lord go back and look at your cliff notes on this subject. First major Electronic band was Krafetwerk ..not New Order..a band that emerged from the wreckage of JD. Raves( while they did emerge as what we know them as in the mid 80's, the original raves were just simple dance parties having taking the word rave from the carriban word.) hadnt been going on for years before Hacienda. Hacienda wasnt a rave venu. God lord... your english and i know more about this shit.

Blue Monday..came out in 1983.... when i was a young teen. whats your point.

besides the point.. 24HR party people is a decent little film. Reasearch the ENTIRE manchester scene... a lot of amazing bands came and still come from that area.
    "I am just a watery Tart with a sword in her hand."

I will say this for the third time, I used to go to the Hacienda so I know more than u fuckin yanks!
    New Order where the first band in Britain who brought Electronica / rock / post punk music together. I know about Kraftwerk but if you want to be clever, the first band to revolutionise electronic Synths was a band called 'Chicory Tip'...Wanker!
    Joy Division where a Punk band, however there mainstream music later on did wave towards goth.
    And like I said originally, rave emerged from a fusion of Detroit house, Italian Piano house and euro techno.( Detroit taking its influences form tribal / carribean music)
    Raves had been going before the hacienda...In Blackburn North England as well as a select few other plavces in Britain. Do check your fucking info..!
    And I know Hacienda wasn't a rave venue, It started as a live music venue...(Why don't you kids read before mouthing off....ie Madonna played there. And it developed that rave nights where held there with Graham Park, who was the original Hacienda DJ....like most rock clubs in the UK, they started holding rave / house nights..usually on a friday.....once again, I know cause I was there.......and yes it is a great film but is not totally true, you Americans will believe everything you hear!!
    Tony Wilson is a cock by the way!!
    Badda fuckin bing!
    Last edited by randy ricochet; 02-05-2007 at 01:23 AM.

vinylmartyr

BOOM GOES THE DYAMITE

And Blue Monday was the record released by New Order which revolutionised music in the 80's in Britain by incorporatind electronic/ euro influenced music...once again, read before you mouth off!!

vinylmartyr

Some of these are limited...
    Ah! What was that?

- Blue Monday.
    - That was an original pressing.

For fuck's sake.

besides the point.. 24HR party people is a decent little film. Reasearch the ENTIRE manchester scene... a lot of amazing bands came and still come from that area.[/QUOTE]

Really, I didn't realise that!!!!!..thanks for letting me know about my manor!

I have that 12"

vinylmartyr

Don't we all.

smart arse!

vinylmartyr

Sorry no smart arseness intended.

You a manc then?