Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Official Motorcycle Rider/Enthusiast Thread

Default Re: The Official Motorcycle Rider/Enthusiast Thread

im looking into getting one. it will be my first bike. i want a street bike. any suggestions?

Does anybody know where to park in coachella? I'm riding over this year but have no clue where to leave my bike.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    cute lol . i am not sure who said it , some famous racing driver, he said it was more exciting to go around a curve at twice what they said it was as opposed to just pure speed .. while i subscribe to that, i just had to break the 150 mph at one time and i did it a couple of times in my mr2 ... it was pretty cool ... x****
    HowTodisappear and I hit 135mph on a straitaway behind miramar.
    And maxed out at 100 up torrypines grade last Sunday. She realy likes speed!
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

Quote Originally Posted by superdedor View Post
    Does anybody know where to park in coachella? I'm riding over this year but have no clue where to leave my bike.

thanks
    We are riding up also, the best bet is in the parking lot next to the main gate. If your bike dose not have a center stand bring somthing to rest your kick stand on, I am bringing up a four inch square of abs to suport the bike in the grass/dirt or whatever.
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

just past a drunk driver - then slipped through a CHP speed trap, getting back on the gas! and our pic was snapped by the Hwy 94 photo guy such a nice sunday
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

How do you like your gsxr? That's the bike I want.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    How do you like your gsxr? That's the bike I want.
    It is really nice, handles really well at speed (100+)
    my next bike I think will be the R6
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

Here's my ride.

Bought this a few months ago for $765 (first bike...450 Honda 1982 Nightwawk) and ride about once or twice a week. Weekend Warrior mostly. Hell of alot of fun though.

100% Caffeinated

Quote Originally Posted by 1litro View Post

just past a drunk driver - then slipped through a CHP speed trap, getting back on the gas! and our pic was snapped by the Hwy 94 photo guy such a nice sunday
    fuck you 2 are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    Here's my ride.

This is slick. I really want an old Triumph Scrambler but I'd know I would hurt myself.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    Here's my ride.

What's the story on this bike?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

It's a 2001 Kawasaki W650. The engine is an inline twin (similar to 60's era Bonnies, but with a shaft-driven overhead cam and...unlike those old twins, it does not leak a drop of oil). I've done a few mods to it: swapped out the stock bars for OEM low-risers, progressive fork springs, tweaked out the carbs so they run a little richer, dumped the fugly long-ass rear fender with horrible rear-light assembly for a short one with a retro brake light and SS bullet turn sigs. Oh, and I also swapped out those cheapo mirrors in that pic for some OEM rectangular long-stems (they look better, but more importantly..they don't vibrate at all). The only thing I want to do now is find a way to peel off the fuel tank emblems and put on some that are more retro, less plastic (or not any at all). I'm a little afraid to do that though...if I fuck up, the paint job is toast (that picture doesn't show off the lovely emerald green on yellow...it's pretty).

It was only imported to the states for two years, so it's pretty rare. It's not the fastest bike, but it has a gorgeous sound, looks pretty sweet and is really fun to ride (I prefer a more straight-up ride vs. the forward lean of a sports-bike).

EDIT: here's what a stock model looks like (and what a better photographer can do to show it off)
    Last edited by GeezrRckr; 05-07-2011 at 06:59 PM.

SO glad this thread exists! I was about to start one.

My baby - named "Xenu" - got her in December, before that was on a Kawi Ninja 650, before that Ninja 250. Both 09

2009 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

IMG_3413.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    Plus 11 dollars is a lot for Mexicans.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbangme View Post
    Swedish House Mafia: two djs and a guy who speaks english
    Quote Originally Posted by bananahambone View Post
    I guess it's like me going to some Al Queda site and being like "Hey guys. don't ask me how I know, but Bin Laden isn't really dead" And all those terrorist dudes would be like "Hey fuck head, Daft Punk is still not playing Coachella"

Will continue bumping with pics until other people participate! I know you other riders are out there.

IMG_3437.JPG

Me and a few buddies went for a nice long ride along PCH recently.
    I guess it's like me going to some Al Queda site and being like "Hey guys. don't ask me how I know, but Bin Laden isn't really dead" And all those terrorist dudes would be like "Hey fuck head, Daft Punk is still not playing Coachella"

R-1 fun on the 94 yesterday...

We love this bike... so FAST.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1litro View Post
    It is really nice, handles really well at speed (100+)
    my next bike I think will be the R6
    HTD, said we need more power- no R6, R1, yes sir!
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

desert whoring in Stoddard Wells last month. Honda 450s.

100% Caffeinated

I just bought my first bike a couple of weeks ago. It's a 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. This is a pic from google, but mine looks the same (without the extended back seat rest):

Upcoming shows:

congrads dude. Thinking about the new 2012 dual sport Honda 650. Like six grand, one hundred and change monthly doing 2.9% payments. Dunno, guess you can paint em off that red color.

This piece of shit: http://powersports.honda.com/2012/xr650l.aspx . May just try to find a cheap dirt bike as I enjoy the desert riding way more than residential stop lights. Hate mandatory stopping.
    Last edited by Premium Roast; 01-30-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    100% Caffeinated

I don't have a motorcycle but I'm going to go sit on a bunch this weekend at the bike show.

My two favs from the recent past - '97 Triumph Trident that I had for over 10 years and sold last August:

triumph 001.jpg

and a 2001 BMW GS1150. I rode this one to Napa Valley and back a few years ago for a friends wedding, doing a "saddle sore" each way (1000 miles in 24 hours.) The ride back from San Fran north along the coast and east through the Columbia Gorge and Hwy 12 across northern Idaho to Lolo Pass is my fondest motorcycling related memory. Had to get new tires in Missoula and then rode across MT in the dark through about a million deer to make sunrise at Devils Tower then just continued home.

DSCF0939.jpg

I've always wanted a bike and should've bought one while in college in Texas. It doesn't make much sense to me having one up here. I could really only ride it for a few months of the year.

I love my KLR, gets me anywhere anytime.
    Going to be taking over 160 miles (180mi trip total) in all dirt/backcountry trails to Coachella in this rig!

ugh, ugh. Just jizzed on your bike. And would like to go with you to Coachella backroad deal.

That thing is a real beauty, a black beauty. And have been comparing them to the Honda. You get a bigger gas tank, but it is also a much heavier bike weight wise. Price is slightly less. The Honda is supposed to handle better offroad than the Kowie. Honda is also taller and I'm 6'2". Thing is really good looking though...those don't look like stock tire eh.
    100% Caffeinated

Very nice DoPeT. So are your photos.

There's a used flat black V Strom (650) near me on craigs calling my name.

Hello strangers! Current ride is a Vespa gt 200, but I work in a motorcycle and scooter shop, so I get to ride a bunch of different bikes, although I'm limited by what I can fit on (5'1 on a good day). I really dig dual sports and I'm hoping to trade in the Vespa pretty soon. I love looking at the pics of everyone's bikes. Hooray

Quote Originally Posted by Premium Roast View Post
    ugh, ugh. Just jizzed on your bike. And would like to go with you to Coachella backroad deal.

That thing is a real beauty, a black beauty. And have been comparing them to the Honda. You get a bigger gas tank, but it is also a much heavier bike weight wise. Price is slightly less. The Honda is supposed to handle better offroad than the Kowie. Honda is also taller and I'm 6'2". Thing is really good looking though...those don't look like stock tire eh.
    Haha thanks! Yeah, I like the bigger tank and also it being a little heavier, it's a little nicer while doing highway trips. The Honda's are slightly more versatile in offroading than the KLR but, couple modifications could compete just as well.
    I'm 6'4" and ride the KLR perfectly fine and these tires are 30/70! Bit more rugged than stock, less mpg on highway, but performs amazing on anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by DoPeT View Post
    I love my KLR, gets me anywhere anytime.
    Going to be taking over 160 miles (180mi trip total) in all dirt/backcountry trails to Coachella in this rig!

that's awesome! me and some buddies were thinking of getting KLRs and riding down through south america along the west coast on them. kawasaki has some FANTASTIC deals on bikes through costco - under msrp, with no tax, freight or dealer fees, and a low APR (~1% IIRC) to boot. maybe if i get one by april i will try the same thing as you, but that would take some careful planning. where are you coming from? how is it? comfy? fun?

i'm glad to see this thread thriving!

Quote Originally Posted by Bus McRider View Post
    that's awesome! me and some buddies were thinking of getting KLRs and riding down through south america along the west coast on them. kawasaki has some FANTASTIC deals on bikes through costco - under msrp, with no tax, freight or dealer fees, and a low APR (~1% IIRC) to boot. maybe if i get one by april i will try the same thing as you, but that would take some careful planning. where are you coming from? how is it? comfy? fun?

i'm glad to see this thread thriving!
    Thanks! I highly recommend getting a KLR! Me and some buddies were getting the BMW 650GS at first because my pops has a K1200LT and absolutely loves it. But we figured we'd save an extra two grand and financing through a local kawi dealership for the KLR at 19% (mehhhhh for someone who's establishing their credit history a little more). I'm doing monthly payments of $124/mo and I pay $220/YEAR for insurance on this 2012 KLR. As far as the bike goes.. Amazing. It definitely does take some careful planning if you're going off-road, extra tubes in case of a flat, etc. We're coming from Phoenix, AZ to Indio, CA, it's only about a 3 1/2 hour drive on a motorcycle if you go a little faster than speed limit (otherwise, it's about 4hr 20m in a car with average traffic). It's TOO FUN! I will find any reason to ride this thing whenever I can.. If I'm bored after leaving the office and have nothing to do but chill and toke.. I go out for a ride! I love it, I love it.

It's pretty comfortable on the freeway, it feels a lot more sturdy and reliable with it being almost 500lbs. The extra weight helps a lot on the road, stock tires come with all terrain tires of 70% street, 30% dirt. It will average you about 50-55MPG realistically driving normal. The seat CAN be more comfortable if you're trying to do like 800mi+/day trips, they're are so many mods and custom seats you can choose to customize your KLR though, so that's absolutely no biggie. I haven't had the chance to change mine cause I haven't needed too yet. But friends have and they broke in their new ones and ohhhh my godddd.