View Poll Results: Which French duo owns the scene?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Daft Punk

179 89.05%
  • Justice

22 10.95%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daft Punk vs. Justice

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

Default Re: Daft Punk vs. Justice

Quote Originally Posted by quicksand View Post
    So fucking what? Like that's even relevant. Yeah, Maybe Sonic Youth influenced Radiohead, but Radiohead is still better. Pull your head out of your fucking ass and stop trying to act like you know shit. Every band in existance has had influenced and most of them have influenced other bands. In the end, it comes down to who sound better. That's like saying somebody on a message board is smarter because they have a larger post count or some shit.
    wow. okay.
    another person loses their music-listening license.
    that's like the third this week.
    fuck, guys.

edit:
    I'm starting to like the phrase "has had influenced"

If it wasn't for the Alive 2007 set, frankly, this wouldn't be such a stupid argument. Well, it would be, because it would be debating fucking house music, but just saying--prior to that set, Daft wasn't that fucking good, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

wow i actually agree with lastgreatman for once......yeah, daft punk sucked forever, which is why that set is so amazing.
    e

Pretty much. Alive 2007 was the first time they actually ventured into that brave territory known as combining house with other genres... like all the great British acts were doing by the time Discovery came out. Stealing disco hooks and cool videos did not make them awesome. Mixing three songs together simultaneously, though, did.

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    If it wasn't for the Alive 2007 set, frankly, this wouldn't be such a stupid argument. Well, it would be, because it would be debating fucking house music, but just saying--prior to that set, Daft wasn't that fucking good, sorry.
    Only someone who had seen Daft Punk before the Alive 2007 can make that judgement.
    Last edited by thestripe; 04-14-2008 at 10:27 AM.

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

Talking Re: Daft Punk vs. Justice

How about Daft Punk and Kraftwerk! That would be a hard one to call!

daft punk.
    e

that wasnt so hard.

I don't know which is sadder, the fact that this is even a poll, or the fact that 4 people chose Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by thestripe View Post
    Only someone who had seen Daft Punk before the Alive 2007 can make that judgement.
    You mean listening to their three albums and both watching and listening to the recordings of their only other tour don't qualify me to make that determination? Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was music or something.

daft punk.
    hands down.

I totally agree.
    but that's causality, ain't it? what's happened has happened and irreperably changes the future.
    so, because of their coachella 06/alive07 tour, daft punk is a significantly more creative and influential musical force.
    to be perfectly honest, I wasn't even a daft punk fan until post coachella 06. I still listen to almost nothing of theirs but live bootlegs.

so basically, DP still = what justice WANTS to be, but can't quite attain.
    call me when justice does something other than just use ableton behind a flashing cross and unhooked synths.

Quote Originally Posted by Robototron View Post
    I don't know which is sadder, the fact that this is even a poll, or the fact that 4 people chose Justice.

Pretty much.

P.S. - Randy, your existence is sad.

worst thread ever...justice owns nothing yet and doubt they ever will......if u were part of the scene u would know that

This is AWESOME!!! Like half a dozen people voted for Justice (pronounced by some American douchebags "juice-teace") !!!!

I mean I like them like fuck... but wasn't the question "who
    owns the scene", not "who is leasing the scene from Daft Punk" ?

Quote Originally Posted by quicksand View Post
    without Daft, I probably would never know who Justice is. So I have mad respect for them, but besides their live shows, Daft Punk isn't all they're hyped up to be. Once Justice has more material this will a fair battle.
    see you in the future when the RobotHumans still made Justice, and will still win the poll ten to one

Quote Originally Posted by HEADSTRUCK View Post
    worst thread ever...justice owns nothing yet and doubt they ever will......if u were part of the scene u would know that
    The scene of your heart. Not your lame ass remixes of 3 Days Grace scene.

Don't be a daft punk, Daft Punk owns.

Daft makes a cultural statement about how they're robots from outer space who own our lives, while television rules the nation around the world. Obviously, that's genius and they pwn.
    Coachella is a place beyond conventional geography, a time not measured in hours or minutes, an experience, a state of mind, an attitude, and a holy form of expression. The Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival is an annual festival put on by Goldenvoice in Indio, CA. Please don't confuse the two.

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    I totally agree.
    but that's causality, ain't it? what's happened has happened and irreperably changes the future.
    so, because of their coachella 06/alive07 tour, daft punk is a significantly more creative and influential musical force.
    to be perfectly honest, I wasn't even a daft punk fan until post coachella 06. I still listen to almost nothing of theirs but live bootlegs.

so basically, DP still = what justice WANTS to be, but can't quite attain.
    call me when justice does something other than just use ableton behind a flashing cross and unhooked synths.
    Alive 2007 is probably the best piece of EDM ever put together even without the lightshow--I never said anything contrary to the fact that since Coach 06 Daft has represented a new level of performance and done a lot to revive the scene.

All I'm saying is that before Coach 06 if Cross had already been released, we'd be debating two catchy and unimaginative French house acts who both just rip old disco and funk songs off and throw some distortion on the bass or a vocoder here and there. Without Discovery, Homework, Human After All, and Cross are all about equivalent as far as I'm concerned, 'cause none of them are particularly good except for 3 tracks maximum.

All of those albums were released post-Underworld (yes, I bring them up AGAIN) and thus should all be ashamed to push such swill. Alive 2007 though is an entirely different animal. Justice's live set is... exactly what I would expect a live set of Cross to sound like and nothing more.

I guess we should give Justice 10 years time allowance to put out their first legitimately good album before comparing. =)

thestripe

You mean listening to their three albums and both watching and listening to the recordings of their only other tour don't qualify me to make that determination? Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was music or something.
    All I was getting at is that I have spoke with people who have seen Daft Punk before Alive 2007 and they always have positive things to say. I'm not trying to debate their Alive 2007 set vs. old sets.

I'll send you Alive 97, judge for yourself. I was unbelievably disappointed. And fucking annoyed, frankly.

thestripe

Do you think it would have been any better if you were there?

I would have been on a lot of ecstasy, so I guess. I also remember really enjoying almost every DJ that played at the end of the month parties at Tunnel, Twilo, or Exit in the late nineties when I was rolling my face off. That doesn't mean they were particularly good.

man.. i can't believe that.. Weren't you the one who say She Wants Revenge instead of Daft Punk? Daft was my #1 favorite group before Alive 2007, and long before Coachella. Homework and Discovery are so classic. Fucking awesome, Justice is SHIT compared to them. Daft has been great, and always has.

p.s. Alive 97 never gets any love.. but I fuckin love that mix.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

Discovery is almost entirely stolen. I really don't see how you can give them that much credit for the album. They barely had to write 60 percent of it. Also, it's not that fucking great. There were plenty of acts putting out original and inventive music at that same time that blended genres and invented new arenas of electronic music. Discovery was blatant samples made into catchy, pop-formed straight up disco-house tracks. It's not a work of fucking genius.

Alive 97 is horrible, I don't get this affection for it at all.

I love Alive 97 I could listen to that for days.

Coachella Junkie

Discovery is almost entirely stolen. I really don't see how you can give them that much credit for the album. They barely had to write 60 percent of it. Also, it's not that fucking great. There were plenty of acts putting out original and inventive music at that same time that blended genres and invented new arenas of electronic music. Discovery was blatant samples made into catchy, pop-formed straight up disco-house tracks. It's not a work of fucking genius.

Alive 97 is horrible, I don't get this affection for it at all.
    The review you give Discovery is more suited for Human After All. None of Daft Punk's studio albums are genius; to say so is just plain ignorant.

Its their ability to mix the tracks together in a nearly flawless manner that is genius.

Human After All at least actually had a theme to it. It was almost all interminably fucking slow, but Human actually has something of a point to the order of the songs, the lyrics. They actually formed a semi-coherent story by releasing Human After All--Discovery was just a bunch of unrelated stolen hooks electronica'd up. Sorry, but it fucking is. What do you want?

They didn't mix tracks together in any particularly impressive way until 2006. I just listen to some of Alive 97 again--the first six minutes are just them tweaking the fucking levels on Daften. Just goes on and on. Then has a completely unnatural segue into some rackety shit...

They showed everybody how brilliant they could be with the right software and a catalog of stolen music. And it is fucking brilliant. But what they did with Alive 2007 has about as much in common with Alive 97 as Second Toughest does with the last Britney album.

I guess with all the hype people give Justice here I thought it would have been a better debate. However, thelastgreatman has made some good points, and as much as I love both groups, I still prefer Justice.

Alive 2007 is probably the best piece of EDM ever put together even without the lightshow--I never said anything contrary to the fact that since Coach 06 Daft has represented a new level of performance and done a lot to revive the scene.

All I'm saying is that before Coach 06 if Cross had already been released, we'd be debating two catchy and unimaginative French house acts who both just rip old disco and funk songs off and throw some distortion on the bass or a vocoder here and there. Without Discovery, Homework, Human After All, and Cross are all about equivalent as far as I'm concerned, 'cause none of them are particularly good except for 3 tracks maximum.

All of those albums were released post-Underworld (yes, I bring them up AGAIN) and thus should all be ashamed to push such swill. Alive 2007 though is an entirely different animal. Justice's live set is... exactly what I would expect a live set of Cross to sound like and nothing more.

I guess we should give Justice 10 years time allowance to put out their first legitimately good album before comparing. =)
    and this is why I didn't listen to daft punk until after they played coachella. I didn't find what they had t offer particularly special.