Thread: Venetian Snares

Default Venetian Snares

I've never seen Aphex Twin live, but I've been told of some of his performances are pretty crazy, like once he was DJing in the UK and played in a Fisher Price Wendy House, with the decks and everything.

Another time he did a live PA set and just lay down on the stage with a small keyboard and was just pressing loads of key but still awesome. Funny as.

Personally I hope he does a DJ set and plays old skool hardcore and plays the Pacman choon he did as Powerpill.

Anyone heard or seen Venetian Snares live? That would be a good one for next year no?

Default Re: Venetian Snares

one of aphex's most requested songs is the pacman one.

he never plays it.

DAMION: Why " DRUKQS"?

APHEX TWIN:
    It's up to everyone to make their own interpretation.

DAMION: So rumours of your retirement were greatly exaggerated? What made you change your mind?

APHEX TWIN:
    The old mind was getting really slow and dull so I thought I'd get a new one.

DAMION: What have you been doing since Windowlicker was released?

APHEX TWIN:
    Playing around with human embryos that myself and my girlfriend made, before it's illegal.

DAMION: Where/when was the album recorded?

APHEX TWIN:
    All over the place traveling. In some bank vaults and in the bath.

DAMION: Is all the material new?

APHEX TWIN:
    It's the newest music available. Actually it's a compilation of all the fake aphex tracks found on the world wide wank, I didn't write any of them.

DAMION: Will there be any singles?

APHEX TWIN:
    Yes tomorrow, limited to one copy on my hard disk. My friend bought it on ebay which I think is on the Internet.

DAMION: The tracks have very bizarre titles, what do they mean?

APHEX TWIN:
    kwrejgwekrjhwegkwegrkwerjbg

DAMION: Have you worked with anyone else on this album?

APHEX TWIN:
    Yeah, at the beginning of 1997 I adopted three goats on my farm in scotland and taught them how to write music. I upgraded one of the goats at the end of 98' with a hoof mod and its fucking serious man/woman. v DAMION: Are there going to be any more collaborations with yourself and Chris Cunningham?

APHEX TWIN:
    Well I think Chris is too skinny at the moment and I can't bear working with skeletons. So he has to put on a considerable amount of weight on first.

DAMION: Where did you get the idea for the cover?

APHEX TWIN:
    While i was djing at the next rephlex party at 93ft east club end of August 2001.

DAMION: Have you been listening to lots of classical music? Is this a sign that you're mellowing in your old age?

APHEX TWIN:
    I have actually gone deaf from djing so I can't listen to any music at all. I'm totally gutted, have learned how to lip read and I can still mix records by smelling the grooves.

DAMION: What is your dru(g)kq of choice?

APHEX TWIN:
    What does dru(g)kq mean? I don't understand the question, sorry.

DAMION: Are you planning any live shows? What surprises have you got in store?

APHEX TWIN:
    Well I'm playing on the national lottery in December as they offered me the rollover if nobody won it that week, seriously!

DAMION: Napster, do you have an opinion on them?

APHEX TWIN:
    Well I should do. I actually wrote the code for the precursor to Napster and that bloke knicked it off me. I'm not bitter though, I've managed to download my entire catalogue off it when it worked! Saved myself 's

DAMION: Is it true that you've written music for adverts under loads of different pseudonyms, can u give?

APHEX TWIN:
    Yes and other releases, Stockhausen, Mozart, Xenakis, Squarepusher, Painjerk, Parmigiani to name a few.

DAMION: "We'd only ban someone for being boring"…What is the most boring record ever made, in your opinion?

APHEX TWIN:
    Drukqs by Eric Satie.

DAMION: What is the relationship between Warp and Rephlex?

APHEX TWIN:
    You don't wanna know man, it's fucking bad.

DAMION: It is widely known that Radiohead's Kid A was widely influenced by your music. In particular 'Come As you Are'…What do you think of their new stuff and other contemporaries?

APHEX TWIN:
    Well they widely agreed to pay me 70% of the widely royalties so, I'm not complaining.

DAMION: In a recent interview, Grant (Rephlex) pointed out that there are five missing records in the Rephlex catalogue…mostly yours…will you ever release them?

APHEX TWIN:
    Yes, next week. Who is Grant?

DAMION: Do you remember life before the internet?

APHEX TWIN:
    I haven't actually gone online yet. Is it any good? Who are you anyway?

DAMION: What is your favourite gadget?

APHEX TWIN:
    Oh it would have to be this endoscope I got from LOOT a couple of years ago. It had a fair bit of use mind you but it's a one off model which can go inside your brain via your nostrils and tickle different regions of your body automatically. It's got a USB connection and came bundled with some MAC software. It's got a neuro receiver on one bit which can directly pick up various thoughts and signals that happen to be flying around whatever region you happen to be poking. It's so cool man.

DAMION: What criterion do you have for releasing someone's records?

APHEX TWIN:
    Well its usually based on sexual favours 'n' stuff. Best not to go there.

DAMION: You were once quoted as saying you weren't recording any new material because you were 'sick of being ripped off'…Who have you ripped off?

APHEX TWIN:
    I've never got sick of being sucked off. Don't know what you're on about. What's your name, you're weird?

1. How come you don't like doing any interviews?

I don't know, I just don't like them. Having to answer the same questions just gets boring.

2.Yeah, but I heard you like to mess with people?

Oh yes! I been answering the last interviews in Spanish, and I mix it with my own made up words. It's great.

3.Do you know Spanish?

No, I just look up words on the internet with a translator.

4.The IDM genre is heavily related to mathematics, what are the specifics?

Well I personally don't do it like this, but I know a lot of artists that sample mathematical formulas and make them into music. It could be about mathematics by the scales and notes, but everything can be about mathematics really. I personally just do it by the feeling.

5. Have you seen the movie Pi?

Yes I saw it. The movie was bad, I think they could have done it a lot better. A lot of people told me it was really good but I must've seen a different movie than them. For starters, that computer, what was up with that? Why didn't they just use a PC? I don't understand what was the need of that big machine!

6. Who are you here to see tonight?

I'm here to see whoever my mates are seeing. I'm not really sure.

7. Oh, Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder is playing next?

Oh really? Oh ok.

8. Yeah, do you like rock music?

I don't really like rock & roll.

9. Not even bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd?

Yeah I like Zeppelin, and I have some of their stuff because I like breakbeats and they have some great breakbeats. I like Pink Floyd too because they have a lot of psychodelic stuff. I listen to everything.

10. Would you play with Radiohead?

No. I wouldn't play with them since I don't like them. It's hard enough to go on tour with a band you like and see them play the same songs every night. It's even worst if you don't even like them.

11. It's really a pleasure seeing you perform tomorrow, do you have any plans to tour?

No, I do not have any plans to tour. I don't really like it.

12. What about new music?

Well, I just put one out!!! (Drukqs). I am quite busy right now so I there will be no new music for a while.

13. Well, thanks for the chat. Good luck tomorrow!

Thank you, and good luck with your magazine.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

the fact that Richard D James likes Kraftwerk and Pink Floyd, leads me to believe that the only reason he signed on to do the festival was to check out their sets...Ah, the beauty of Coachella, where even the performers are just like the fans and are there to check out other artists.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    one of aphex's most requested songs is the pacman one.

he never plays it.
    well if new order played love will tear us apart again (even though not there song), and radiohead played creep maybe there is a chance.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicifyouwantit View Post
    well if new order played love will tear us apart again (even though not there song), and radiohead played creep maybe there is a chance.
    If Aphex plays any of his tracks, it should be Come To Daddy....period...nothing else will be quite the mind fuck...
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

venetian snares played here in miami last month i think or the month before. It was pretty rad - he played what seemed to be a lengthy set - close to two hours it think. fucking madness
    Last edited by merznerve; 04-13-2008 at 03:44 PM.

i sooo regret missing that miami show.
    e

I think Venetian Snares is even nuttier then RDJ....but Aphex has more soul to his sound.....

i'd rather see aphex by far.....

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    If Aphex plays any of his tracks, it should be Come To Daddy....period...nothing else will be quite the mind fuck...
    he never plays it because that's one of his worst songs. he hates it.

my vote for mind fuck track is mt saint nichel + saint michaels mount. his best track, easily.

and venetian snares would be a good act to see next year. aaron is doing a lot new material lately, and wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year there are some more new ep/lps.

Quote Originally Posted by merznerve View Post
    venetian snares played here in miami last month i think or the month before. It was pretty rad - he played what seemed to be a lengthy set - close to two hours it think. fucking madness
    i was there and it definitely was complete madness....i have never been to a show like that before...it was fucking incredible...ill upload some bad ass videos i have of the show tomorrow. here is some pics...

Red face Re: Venetian Snares

Quote Originally Posted by Aphxtwinin View Post
    i was there and it definitely was complete madness....i have never been to a show like that before...it was fucking incredible...ill upload some bad ass videos i have of the show tomorrow. here is some pics...

Miami LOVE!!!!
    for all you drill and bass idm grindcore fans out there venetian snares \ otto von schirach and cyrusrex are cummin to your town:

Jun 7 2008 10:00P
    Venetian Snares, Otto Von Schirach, Cyrsurex and DJ Daniel Myer @ El Corazon Seattle, Washington Seattle, Washington

Jun 8 2008 9:00P
    Venetian Snares, Otto Von Schirach, Cyrusrex @ The Fez Ballroom Portland, Oregon

Jun 11 2008 9:00P
    Masterpiece Ballroom + Venetian Snares, Otto Von Schirach, Cyrusrex DENVER, Colorado

Jun 13 2008 10:00P
    Venetian Snares, Otto Von Schirach, Cyrsurex and DJ Daniel Myer @ The Knitting Factory Los Anegles, California

Jun 16 2008 8:00P
    Knitting Factory New York , Venetian Snares, Otto Von Schirach, Cyrusrex New York, NY 10013, New York

Jun 20 2008 9:00P
    Elysium, Venetian Tears, Otto Von Ketchup and CsySex

yes!!!

i'd check actual times with the venue, i got this from myspace.

I was at the Hollywood show in the knitting factory. Fucking destroyed the place.