Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

  1. #1

    Default HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Ok, so like many others, I was very disappointed by the initial lineup. After going year after year, and having seen so many of my favorite bands (including, i must say, getting to see RATM again, a thing I never EVER thought possible), I thought, wow. They could have done much better. I mean look at Sasquatch.

    But before I go on about what happened tonight, I have to say how important Coachella is in my life. Going out to indio each April to share INCREDIBLE music in the most beautiful venue known to man with so many awesome people is much like a religious pilgrimage for me. I feel like I am at the mother land. I can, without a doubt, say that Coachella is always the best weekend of the year for me, and I look forward to it 362 days of the year.

    Last year, it meant so much more. I dated this girl for 4 years and it was pretty serious, but at the end of 2006 we broke up because she, for reasons unknown, decided to start messing around with hard drugs. We had both been clean the entire 4 years, and her behavior made her seem like a different person. It was surreal. Anyway, 2 weeks before Coachella 2007, i got a phone call from one of her friends saying she had died. We had only broke up 7 months before, and the relationship was still very fresh in my mind. I was devastated. My world collapsed. All I had to take me out of this dark dark hole of anger and confusion and sadness, was going to Coachella with one of my friends.

    For 3 days, everything seemed ok. Coachella made me appreciate life, and alll the beauty and music that surrounded me.

    So this year, I was really upset about not going. I bought tix to Outside Lands which will be amazing, but I still wanted something more. Then they started announcing bands. Aphex Twin!!!!!!, Serj, FUCKING PRINCE. And I took another glance at the rest of the lineup. SOLID. SOOOO MANY GREAT BANDS. The little bands are so well put together this year, I cant believe it.

    So tomorrow, even though no one I know can afford to go with me, I am going to buy my tickets, and share the greatest music festival in the world with all you people.

    I CANT WAIT.

    LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO MEET UP, GRAB A BITE TO EAT, OR WATCH A BAND. MY MISSION IS TO MEET PEOPLE.

    If you took the time to read this, I appreciate it. Thank You.

  2. #2

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    the story is a touching one...a good story...but i still must point out: You should have never doubted coachella, outland has nothing on coach (even before the prince add, NOTHING!), and sasquatch isnt even the same bloodline as coachella...like soeone said before..sasquatch is coachella's training wheels...

  3. #3

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    but yes, enjoy yourslef!

  4. #4
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,887

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    check out the camping all alone club thread in camping/lodging.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  5. #5
    Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kensington market, Toronto.
    Posts
    6,370

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    dude-
    cool story. coachella really truly is a life changing experience.
    won't elaborate here, but I can relate

  6. #6
    Member Trudeau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    307

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    dude-
    cool story. coachella really truly is a life changing experience.
    won't elaborate here, but I can relate
    Ditto. A bunch of experiences last year really had a lasting effect on me.

    Anyway, I'm down for having a beer with anyone anytime. Send me a PM son.
    Quote Originally Posted by seanzie View Post
    This year will be awesome, like every year.

  7. #7
    Member Cammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Wow, sorry for your loss brotha. Glad you get to go again!

  8. #8

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    PM me dude, Ill buy you a churro and a lemon ice.
    This sig sponsored by Menocu® buttplugs.Menocu® butplugs are the only buttplugs Wykked Sceptre uses.

  9. #9
    Member fiopadp7791's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    2,461

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    I can vouch that you don't realize how much you miss this 'fest until you don't go. And I only have a 1-year sampling to speak of. I've told this story in a few other threads, but I'm just a redundant mo-fo like that...

    I went in '06 for the first time. I had a blast. I met a lot of cool people camping, most of the acts I saw lived up to the hype, and i discovered some great new acts that blew my mind! The overall experience was just awesome!

    Fast forward to 2007- I lost my job in late '06, was kinda broke, the tickets were sold out, and I literally started a new job (the same one I have now) the day after the fest ended. Monday morning in Minneapolis, MN. So for financial, logistical and practical purposes, I couldn't and didn't go. BUT! I STILL SHOULDA FOUND A WAY TO MAKE IT HAPPEN! And I've regretted it for the last year...

    So I vowed I was going back this year no matter who was on the lineup. And I bought tickets, eventhough I was underwhelmed when the lineup came out. Eventhough the lineup wasn't the most appealing, I just know I'm still gonna have a good time. That and I've warmed to the lineup too by sampling some artists and the great additions since.

    Anyway, I'm very sorry. I've kinda jacked your thread, but you've made the right choice to come. I'm literally gonna kiss the grass when I enter the concert-grounds. Have a good time, and I'm camping alone too, so if you wanna grab a beer, hit me up.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

  10. #10
    The Dude CalmerThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Snuggieville
    Posts
    7,360

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Daft Punk changed my life forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

  11. #11
    Member vxgasattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Quote Originally Posted by theaenimatool View Post
    ...Going out to indio each April to share INCREDIBLE music in the most beautiful venue known to man with so many awesome people is much like a religious pilgrimage for me...
    I soooo feel the same way.

  12. #12
    Coachella Junkie greghead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    6,054

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    I know exactly how you feel, amigo, I have had a similar experience.

    Back in 2006 one of my friends died in a car accident just two months before Coachella. We were supposed to go together, Tool was his favorite band. We had gone to the same schools from elementary all the way through college. When Eric died I was absolutely numb for two months, and had absolutely no desire to go to Coachella, but my friends convinced me to go anyway. As soon as Tool came on, all of the feelings and emotions I had locked away came rushing back and tears started streaming down my face as I thought about my friend and how happy he would be if only he were there with me. Seeing Tool at Coachella allowed me to come to terms with his passing and put my own life into perspective.

    Going to Coachella in 2006 literally changed my outlook on life, and inspired me to keep moving forward while preserving and honoring Eric's memory. Coachella is like my birthday, Halloween, Christmas, and New Year's all rolled into one; I look forward to it all year. I have been going since 2004, and will continue to attend as long as I have air in my lungs. Coachella has had such a profound effect on my life that I would not trade the experiences I have had for anything. Coachellans are the best people on the planet, they are like family to me, and Coachella is my home.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

  13. #13
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,370

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    I can't wait to go home.

  14. #14
    Member Gyrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Thats huge man, I think a lot of people (myself included) can relate to that story. I came up from Australia last year for my first one and it was amazing, this year I'm bringing about 10 people along and meeting up with friends from last year. It really is like nothing else in the world, the naysayers can suck my scrotum.
    Once I get my mobile sorted when I get there I'll send you my number and I will gladly buy you a beer
    Recent studies at Yale have shown that being an asshole is detrimental to one's health. Professor Sweetlove, a Psychology professor, came on record as saying:
    "Assholes and local desert rats tend to live shorter lives and have less consensual sexual relations than non assholes. It could be due to lower testoserone levels or a chemical imbalance in the brain but some people are just wired to be.... well.... assholes"
    Full story can be found here. AP

  15. #15
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Quote Originally Posted by theaenimatool View Post
    Ok, so like many others, I was very disappointed by the initial lineup. After going year after year, and having seen so many of my favorite bands (including, i must say, getting to see RATM again, a thing I never EVER thought possible), I thought, wow. They could have done much better. I mean look at Sasquatch.

    But before I go on about what happened tonight, I have to say how important Coachella is in my life. Going out to indio each April to share INCREDIBLE music in the most beautiful venue known to man with so many awesome people is much like a religious pilgrimage for me. I feel like I am at the mother land. I can, without a doubt, say that Coachella is always the best weekend of the year for me, and I look forward to it 362 days of the year.

    Last year, it meant so much more. I dated this girl for 4 years and it was pretty serious, but at the end of 2006 we broke up because she, for reasons unknown, decided to start messing around with hard drugs. We had both been clean the entire 4 years, and her behavior made her seem like a different person. It was surreal. Anyway, 2 weeks before Coachella 2007, i got a phone call from one of her friends saying she had died. We had only broke up 7 months before, and the relationship was still very fresh in my mind. I was devastated. My world collapsed. All I had to take me out of this dark dark hole of anger and confusion and sadness, was going to Coachella with one of my friends.

    For 3 days, everything seemed ok. Coachella made me appreciate life, and alll the beauty and music that surrounded me.

    So this year, I was really upset about not going. I bought tix to Outside Lands which will be amazing, but I still wanted something more. Then they started announcing bands. Aphex Twin!!!!!!, Serj, FUCKING PRINCE. And I took another glance at the rest of the lineup. SOLID. SOOOO MANY GREAT BANDS. The little bands are so well put together this year, I cant believe it.

    So tomorrow, even though no one I know can afford to go with me, I am going to buy my tickets, and share the greatest music festival in the world with all you people.

    I CANT WAIT.

    LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO MEET UP, GRAB A BITE TO EAT, OR WATCH A BAND. MY MISSION IS TO MEET PEOPLE.

    If you took the time to read this, I appreciate it. Thank You.
    You should send this in to Reader's Digest. Heart-touching.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  16. #16
    Sci-Fi
    Guest

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Quote Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou View Post
    Daft Punk changed my life forever.

    Mee too!

  17. #17
    old school Sonicifyouwantit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Burbank!
    Posts
    4,836

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    yes coachella is like a musical mecca for me, I make my yearly pilgrimage each year since 2002! Daft too made a huge impression on me, I was a fan since homework in 1997 even saw them spin back then too. When they played I though ok they will be doing a dj set but with robot helmets on...as we all know it was SO much more.

    glad you are making the trek back to the polo fields!

    GYRUS: how did you get 10 people to go with you from Australia?? I cant get more than one to go from Los Angeles...see you at the preparty?
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

    2013 = 12 Coachellas

    do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

    Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

  18. #18

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    let's be friends!

  19. #19
    Member Gyrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicifyouwantit View Post
    yes coachella is like a musical mecca for me, I make my yearly pilgrimage each year since 2002! Daft too made a huge impression on me, I was a fan since homework in 1997 even saw them spin back then too. When they played I though ok they will be doing a dj set but with robot helmets on...as we all know it was SO much more.

    glad you are making the trek back to the polo fields!

    GYRUS: how did you get 10 people to go with you from Australia?? I cant get more than one to go from Los Angeles...see you at the preparty?
    lol, I'm a salesman what can I say...
    haha, well, myself and best mate are flying out from brizzy, my girlfriend is flying over from london to meet me, I have a friend I used to work with in Sydney who's doing a ski season in canada coming down with 3 of her friends.
    My brother is flying in from Philly and I have a friend who's moved back to vancouver coming down with 3 of her friends. So grand total..... 12 hahaha. Certainly will, got the email from them yesterday and RSVP'd for us. I'll PM ya my mobile number when I get over there on Friday and get my shit sorted.
    Recent studies at Yale have shown that being an asshole is detrimental to one's health. Professor Sweetlove, a Psychology professor, came on record as saying:
    "Assholes and local desert rats tend to live shorter lives and have less consensual sexual relations than non assholes. It could be due to lower testoserone levels or a chemical imbalance in the brain but some people are just wired to be.... well.... assholes"
    Full story can be found here. AP

  20. #20
    Daft Punky Junkie BROKENDOLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,648

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrus View Post
    lol, I'm a salesman what can I say...
    haha, well, myself and best mate are flying out from brizzy, my girlfriend is flying over from london to meet me, I have a friend I used to work with in Sydney who's doing a ski season in canada coming down with 3 of her friends.
    My brother is flying in from Philly and I have a friend who's moved back to vancouver coming down with 3 of her friends. So grand total..... 12 hahaha. Certainly will, got the email from them yesterday and RSVP'd for us. I'll PM ya my mobile number when I get over there on Friday and get my shit sorted.
    COACHELLA...Like one big family reunion!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

  21. #21
    Amneeziac
    Guest

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    great story. mine can be summed up as "coachella > prozac."

  22. #22
    Member Gyrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    COACHELLA...Like one big family reunion!
    More like one big dysfunctional family reunion lol. hahahah yup something like that'll do juuuuuuuuust fine.
    Recent studies at Yale have shown that being an asshole is detrimental to one's health. Professor Sweetlove, a Psychology professor, came on record as saying:
    "Assholes and local desert rats tend to live shorter lives and have less consensual sexual relations than non assholes. It could be due to lower testoserone levels or a chemical imbalance in the brain but some people are just wired to be.... well.... assholes"
    Full story can be found here. AP

  23. #23
    Member BlackSteve0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA USA
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Quote Originally Posted by theaenimatool View Post
    Ok, so like many others, I was very disappointed by the initial lineup. After going year after year, and having seen so many of my favorite bands (including, i must say, getting to see RATM again, a thing I never EVER thought possible), I thought, wow. They could have done much better. I mean look at Sasquatch.

    But before I go on about what happened tonight, I have to say how important Coachella is in my life. Going out to indio each April to share INCREDIBLE music in the most beautiful venue known to man with so many awesome people is much like a religious pilgrimage for me. I feel like I am at the mother land. I can, without a doubt, say that Coachella is always the best weekend of the year for me, and I look forward to it 362 days of the year.

    Last year, it meant so much more. I dated this girl for 4 years and it was pretty serious, but at the end of 2006 we broke up because she, for reasons unknown, decided to start messing around with hard drugs. We had both been clean the entire 4 years, and her behavior made her seem like a different person. It was surreal. Anyway, 2 weeks before Coachella 2007, i got a phone call from one of her friends saying she had died. We had only broke up 7 months before, and the relationship was still very fresh in my mind. I was devastated. My world collapsed. All I had to take me out of this dark dark hole of anger and confusion and sadness, was going to Coachella with one of my friends.

    For 3 days, everything seemed ok. Coachella made me appreciate life, and alll the beauty and music that surrounded me.

    So this year, I was really upset about not going. I bought tix to Outside Lands which will be amazing, but I still wanted something more. Then they started announcing bands. Aphex Twin!!!!!!, Serj, FUCKING PRINCE. And I took another glance at the rest of the lineup. SOLID. SOOOO MANY GREAT BANDS. The little bands are so well put together this year, I cant believe it.

    So tomorrow, even though no one I know can afford to go with me, I am going to buy my tickets, and share the greatest music festival in the world with all you people.

    I CANT WAIT.

    LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO MEET UP, GRAB A BITE TO EAT, OR WATCH A BAND. MY MISSION IS TO MEET PEOPLE.

    If you took the time to read this, I appreciate it. Thank You.
    I'll see you there man! Wanna checkout Goldfrapp with me? She's hot, AND talented.
    '07 '08 and beyond...

  24. #24

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    hey guys, i wanna thank everybody for all the awesome shit you said in response to my thread. i have my tickets, camping and all, and as soon as my confirmation number comes in i will be on COACHELLA EXPRESS (sweeet). so i look forward to kicking it with you all there!

    ill pm people to meet up, and i welcome anyone to do the same. after all, coachella is all about community.

    peace out.
    Jack Johnson set list

    "Oh, and my set list wish list is:

    Trips and falls coming onto stage
    Tons of problems with sound system
    Hit by a bottle, knocked unconscious
    Gets up, steps on rake which hits him in face and balls
    Vomits
    Big dude rushes stage, punches him in face
    Vomits (reprise)

    ENCORE
    Cries
    Struck by lightning"

    -----------
    Coachella Vet: 05, 06, 07, 08, 09!

  25. #25
    Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18,350

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Coachella truly is three days of euphoria. Though I'm not religious at all its probably the most accurate description for heaven on earth I can think of. Music is my favorite medicine.

    Thank you for sharing anemia.

  26. #26
    The Dude CalmerThanYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Snuggieville
    Posts
    7,360

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    So much man-game and Bromance on this board, it's quite touching.
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

  27. #27

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    wow, really touching. awesome story, i like turtles.

  28. #28
    Coachella Junkie Blinken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,685

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    I know exactly how you feel, amigo, I have had a similar experience.

    Back in 2006 one of my friends died in a car accident just two months before Coachella. We were supposed to go together, Tool was his favorite band. We had gone to the same schools from elementary all the way through college. When Eric died I was absolutely numb for two months, and had absolutely no desire to go to Coachella, but my friends convinced me to go anyway. As soon as Tool came on, all of the feelings and emotions I had locked away came rushing back and tears started streaming down my face as I thought about my friend and how happy he would be if only he were there with me. Seeing Tool at Coachella allowed me to come to terms with his passing and put my own life into perspective.

    Going to Coachella in 2006 literally changed my outlook on life, and inspired me to keep moving forward while preserving and honoring Eric's memory. Coachella is like my birthday, Halloween, Christmas, and New Year's all rolled into one; I look forward to it all year. I have been going since 2004, and will continue to attend as long as I have air in my lungs. Coachella has had such a profound effect on my life that I would not trade the experiences I have had for anything. Coachellans are the best people on the planet, they are like family to me, and Coachella is my home.
    Wow man, thanks for sharing. It is great that Coachela helped you out so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

  29. #29

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    i meet my girfriend in the keane spot in 05, and lost her in the infected mushroom set in 2007, a truly beautiful woman,,,,

    good luck this year theaenimatool !!
    Last edited by Lazaro; 04-14-2008 at 01:21 PM.

  30. #30
    Member Vic Viper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    PHX
    Posts
    1,764

    Default Re: HOW COACHELLA SAVED MY LIFE. please read

    Quote Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou View Post
    Daft Punk changed my life forever.
    So fucking true.

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Arcade Fire Saved Music Thread™
    By DeltaSigChi4 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 393
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 04:00 PM
  2. The Official Don Piano saved the Coachella Board Thread
    By Don Piano in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 06:45 PM
  3. I am trying to read the Coachella Board
    By full on idle in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 08:56 PM
  4. Hey Check this Coachella im loving life
    By PARTY in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 10:27 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 08:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •