117 42.55%
  • Grizzly Bear

158 57.45%
Page 1 of 17 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of the Ultimate Animal Rivalry

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Default Return of the Ultimate Animal Rivalry

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU THIS TIME.

Terms: Neutral terrain, one-on-one fist fight. To the death. With no weapons or any other outside advantages.

Default Re: Return of the Ultimate Animal Rivalry

(AP) Rebels in eastern Congo have agreed to stop killing mountain gorillas and allow government rangers to restart patrols, conservationists said Wednesday. Earlier this month, rebels allegedly killed and ate two silverback mountain gorillas, according to field reports collected by London-based Africa Conservation Fund.

Only about 700 mountain gorillas are left in the world, 380 of them spread across a volcanic mountain range in Central Africa that crosses the borders of Congo, Rwanda and Uganda. Silverbacks are the older adult males of the species.

Bear crashes hockey game, mom saves kids
    By Paul Waldie
    Toronto Globe and Mail Feb. 21, 2006

IVUJIVIK, Quebec Lydia Angyiou's kids sure won't be giving her much trouble any more, now that they've seen her wrestle a 700-pound polar bear.

Angyiou lives in Ivujivik, a village of 300 people on the shore of Hudson Bay in northern Quebec.

One Wednesday evening earlier this month, Angyiou was walking near the village community center with her two sons when a group of children playing street hockey nearby started shouting and pointing frantically.

Angyiou, 41, turned around and saw a polar bear sizing up her 7-year-old son.

She told the children to run and raced around to get between the bear and her son. Then she started kicking and punching the animal, according to police reports.

In a flash, the bear swatted her in the face and she fell on her back. With the bear on top of her, Angyiou began kicking her legs in a bicycle-pedaling motion. She was swatted once more and rolled over, but the bear moved toward her again.

Siqualuk Ainalik heard the commotion and came rushing over. Seeing Angyiou wrestling with the bear, he ran to his brother's home, grabbed a rifle and headed back to the street. He fired a few warning shots.

The sound diverted the bear's attention from Angyiou just long enough for him to aim and fire again. According to police, Ainalik fired four shots into the bear before it finally died.

With the help of some neighbors, Angyiou made it to the home of Nelson Conn, a constable with the Kativik Regional Police Force.

"She came in in a panic," Conn recalled. "She was obviously in shock. She was saying, 'Bear, bear.' I just took her over to our nursing station and I asked where and if the bear was dead. She said, 'Yes.'"

Remarkably, Angyiou suffered only a couple of scratches and a black eye. She and the local police have been fielding calls from across Canada ever since the incident was first reported last week in the Nunatsiaq News.

Meanwhile, villagers are still marveling at her courage, and there is talk of nominating her for a bravery medal.

"I've been here 24 years and I've never seen this before," said Larry Hubert, a regional captain with the police force who arrived on the scene just after the bear was shot. "For sure, she saved the kids' lives."

Hubert has known Angyiou for 15 years and he can't believe she took on a bear. He said the bear measured eight feet in length and weighed at least 700 pounds.

Angyiou "is about 5-foot-nothing and 90 pounds on a wet day," Hubert said with a laugh. "She's pretty quiet. I'm surprised she went and did this.

"But I guess when your back is up against the wall, I guess we come up with super-human strength."

The grizzly is the most aggressive of all the bears. The grizzly has no enemies or predators. The grizzly rarely fights and when he does, it usually is the victor.
    just sayin

Source: http://www.bearcountryusa.com/
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Cite your source.

Anyway, I don't know how we're even arguing about this when a 5'11" woman wrestled with a polar bear (I know, not a grizzly, but close) and won.

Grizzly Bears and Polar Bears are not the same thing

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Polar bears, according to some discovery channel thing I was watching, are the hardest animal to hunt because they are so dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

"So, what are mountain gorillas? And why are we so concerned about the loss of only two of these animals, in an area that has seen the deaths of millions of people? Mr de Merode believes that they are as important as any human beings. "The mountain gorillas are extremely vulnerable and the death of only a handful could have a significant impact on the population as a whole," he said."

http://news.independent.co.uk/enviro...cle2186517.ece

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    "The mountain gorillas are extremely vulnerable and the death of only a handful could have a significant impact on the population as a whole," he said."
    Exactly. The death of a handful of gorillas will have a significant impact on the world population as a whole. What he means by that is that if a handful of gorillas die, the population of every other species (except badgers) in the world will increase because their biggest threat (except badgers) will have been neutralized.

ooo, I voted Grizzly and tied it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I'm all about gorillas.

Gabe, the bear was playing with her. He wasn't even attacking her. Here's this little thing BICYCLE kicking him over and over and he's getting a laugh out of it. And then some douche had to come out and pack four bullets into him before he died. Bullet one, two, and three weren't enough. And this was for a bear who was just chillin. Imagine if he were enraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

[QUOTE=schoolofruckus;27453]Exactly. The death of a handful of gorillas will have a significant impact on the world population as a whole. [QUOTE]

it will have a significant impact on:

- about 400 kittens ( i think there are only 400 silverbacks left right ?) these kittens will remain lonely and probably will be euthanized

- at least 1200 Congo rebels' dinners. I figured that a silverback doesn't have much meat on him, so it'd probably only feed 3 rebels per gorilla. Then i took 3 times the # of remaining silverback gorillas

your post (#11) is no longer valid. please delete.

.................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Bug, you really should stick to being a football pundit. When conversations leave the realm of "fun and games" and veer headfirst into "REAL MUTHAFUCKIN' LIFE, SON!" territory, you are clearly out of your element.

why is this a sticky at the top?
    ~If you're feeling sinister, go off and see a minister~

all i know is i have never once heard of any Congo rebels eating Grizzly Bears in Canada, Alaska or Montana

Right, and I've never heard of any gorillas letting a pint-sized Alaskan woman toss them around like a rag doll.

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    - at least 1200 Congo rebels' dinners. I figured that a silverback doesn't have much meat on him, so it'd probably only feed 3 rebels per gorilla. Then i took 3 times the # of remaining silverback gorillas
    A silverback gorilla weighs around 400 lbs with a lot of dense muscle, I think it could tide over more than three rebels, especially if it was rationed.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Right, and I've never heard of any gorillas letting a pint-sized Alaskan woman toss them around like a rag doll.

and your article was about Polar Bears

And polar bears are close enough to grizzlies that they can breed. Not to mention, I've read more than one article that states that polar bears are, in fact, bigger and more dangerous than grizzly bears ('scuse me while I find this link).

Check it.

According to Paetkau, the genetics expert, grizzly and polar bears are the most closely related of the living bear species.

why is this a sticky at the top?
    if you stick around here after coachella, you'll see this is a very important topic to this particular group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

if grizzlies were polar bears they'd be spelled the same

If grizzlies were dangerous, they'd be spelled "G-O-R-I-L-L-A-S".

Also, let the record show that you have 3 unconfirmed voters as of now, while we only have one. Bitchfaces.

Actually - 4. You have 4 people who we don't know are real or fake. Four confirmed voters, and four questionable votes. Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    If grizzlies were dangerous, they'd be spelled "G-O-R-I-L-L-A-S".

Also, let the record show that you have 3 unconfirmed voters as of now, while we only have one. Bitchfaces.

Actually - 4. You have 4 people who we don't know are real or fake. Four confirmed voters, and four questionable votes. Hmmm....
    Dude, these are the average joes...the ones who haven't invested years of keystrokes and reputation on this topic. They are just responding out of common sense.

PS - Props for remembering the badgers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post
    Dude, these are the average joes
    Average joes? As in, guys in the flyover states who voted "Pirates of the Caribbean" the best movie of the year in the People's Choice awards?

Two other things to point out about the votes:

1 - Brad hasn't voted yet, so add one more for the bear.
    2 - One of the bear voter's names is "BonerMalone." That right there says "badass mother fucker." More cred for the Grizzlies.

While genetically, polar and grizzlies might be similar...there is no discussion about temperment. Grizzlies have 10x the ferocity of a polar bear. Dr. Momotaro, a renowned gorilla propogandist, shredded the test results that proved this after infiltrating the objective and neutral Johns Hopkins University which was preparing a significant and definitive study on animal ferocity. According to my sources, gorillas were just below butterflies on the FM (Ferocity Meter).
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

School, thanks for bringing back the best thread ever from the old board! And, it's the gorilla peoples.