Thread: Internet Question...

Default Internet Question...

So i have verizon dsl internet and weve been having problems lately. we have a modem and a router hooked up downstairs to a desktop, while i have my laptop, my brothers desktop and our ps3, all upstairs running off wireless. we have a good router in a linksys n router but sometimes it still gets retarded and has trouble sending the signal and often playing ps3 online, we get booted. any ideas? thanks...

oh, what kind of internet do most of you guys run through?

Default Re: Internet Question...

What model Linksys router? It might be one of the neutered series, in which case I recommend the risky but really not that difficult installation of dd-wrt firmware to get the full use out of it. http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

i have the N router i believe...it looks like a fuckin satellite...they said it should provide a good enough connection. is dsl that shitty where if more than one computer is on the internet, itll mess up?

randy what do you use?

Look on the underside of the router and get the actual model name. N is not enough.

Routers have to be configured differently for DSL, but if it was working before it shouldn't have changed. Type 192.168.1.1 into your web browster, the username should be blank and the password should be admin. On the main page, right around the middle, is one of the selections PPPoE?

DSL should be fine. Make sure your electronic components aren't interfering with each other (e.g., computer is not right next to TV). Move the equipment around a few inches or feet, as there may be relatively "dead spaces." Finally, hit up some of the thousands of message boards on the 'net & somewhere is a solution to your problem. You are not alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

That was a series of shitty advice followed by some good advice. But on the other hand, he already is on a form with someone who does this for a living (or used to). BlueDevil, PM me and I can take a look at your router setup remotely.

thanks to both of you for actually wanting to help...randy ill pm you as soon as i get home and hopefully you can drop some knowledge on me. oh and gay, my laptop is in my room then in my brothers room its his desktop and about 3 feet away is the ps3. some of the shit that happens is connection interruptions while playin online on the ps3 and on my laptop the signal will fade in and out, often kicking me offline. but ya...ill definitely pm you randy. thanks again.

I won't be back til tomorrow night. In the meantime, try unplugging your router, then unplugging and replugging the modem, wait for all the lights to flash solid on the modem, then replug the router.

already tried that...that used to do the trick when it used to act up but for some reason lately its just been wanting to be extremely difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    That was a series of shitty advice followed by some good advice. But on the other hand, he already is on a form with someone who does this for a living (or used to). BlueDevil, PM me and I can take a look at your router setup remotely.
    You sound like SupreDouche
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I'd update the firmware on the 802.11n router. linksys has pretty routine firmware updates and I'm guessing you have a pretty new setup since "N" is the new kid in town.

another thing to consider, is that the westell modem you have can also be a built in router, if that's the case it's worth it to set the westell into "bridge mode" so that you just have the linksys as your router and the westell only acts as a modem.

you shouldn't have PPPoE, all former GTE areas are DHCP, and only the bell atlantics are PPPoE.

I used verizon DSL for years with as many as 9 devices on the network at a time until recently. Now I'm on FiOS, and it kicks ass. you should see if it's availble in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    You sound like SupreDouche
    Sorry, but I never encountered a router being near a TV as the cause of connection issues in the years I was doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by g0k1ngsg0 View Post
    I'd update the firmware on the 802.11n router. linksys has pretty routine firmware updates and I'm guessing you have a pretty new setup since "N" is the new kid in town.

another thing to consider, is that the westell modem you have can also be a built in router, if that's the case it's worth it to set the westell into "bridge mode" so that you just have the linksys as your router and the westell only acts as a modem.

you shouldn't have PPPoE, all former GTE areas are DHCP, and only the bell atlantics are PPPoE.

I used verizon DSL for years with as many as 9 devices on the network at a time until recently. Now I'm on FiOS, and it kicks ass. you should see if it's availble in your area.
    The fuck is GTE? Also the fuck is FiOS?

GTE is the old telephone company out here, Verizon bought them out quite a few years ago, but the old GTE/bell atlantic areas are still the defining factor on if you have a DHCP or PPPoE connection. its before your time, now get off my lawn.

FiOS is basically FTTH (fiber to the home), it's verizons latest way of providing you internet, phone and TV. should check it out, it's easily the fastest internet connection you can get for the money (I pay $39 for 15/2)

Since fucking when does Verizon provide TV? As of... 2 years ago I thought DSL was PPPoE inherently. Then again, I never really gave a fuck about knowing why--I teched for results, acronyms can get bent.

about 2 years now. before that they were parters with directv in bundle deals. they are really trying to take it to the cable companies since they started offering phone service.

http://www22.verizon.com/content/FiOSTV/

Eh, not available here apparently.

so i went ahead and got rid of dsl and picked up comcast cable...now i was thinking of getting an adapter for my laptop and ps3 to run off the n-router we have downstairs. any suggestions on how good those work?

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Since fucking when does Verizon provide TV? As of... 2 years ago I thought DSL was PPPoE inherently. Then again, I never really gave a fuck about knowing why--I teched for results, acronyms can get bent.

So...you've been under a rock for two years? My 4 year old knows what FIOS is. Maybe Henry Ford can help me with the computor chips in my minivan.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil50 View Post
    so i went ahead and got rid of dsl and picked up comcast cable...now i was thinking of getting an adapter for my laptop and ps3 to run off the n-router we have downstairs. any suggestions on how good those work?
    adapter for what?

too boost the signal