Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: **Coachella Camper's Survival Kit**

Default Re: **Coachella Camper's Survival Kit**

a few things never mentioned, especially with car camping now. a power inverter to run electronics off you car's cig lighter. and with that said, jumper cables, saw at least 20 cars with the hood up on monday morning (including mine), but it was super easy to borrow some. rope, tent stakes, and tarp-fuck the tent, no breeze. you can string up any type of structure you want and tie it off to whatever. make friends with the neighbors and see how many sites you can string togeather. got 6 last year, shooting for 12 this.

its called space, dude-and we're goin there

Quote Originally Posted by mattinvail View Post
    a few things never mentioned, especially with car camping now. a power inverter to run electronics off you car's cig lighter. and with that said, jumper cables, saw at least 20 cars with the hood up on monday morning (including mine), but it was super easy to borrow some. rope, tent stakes, and tarp-fuck the tent, no breeze. you can string up any type of structure you want and tie it off to whatever. make friends with the neighbors and see how many sites you can string togeather. got 6 last year, shooting for 12 this.
    this is a good idea, would you happen to have a pic of this?
    3/2 Sasha // Big Gigantic
    3/8 STS9, Cherub
    3/19 Eric Clapton
    3/21 EOTO, Govinda
    3/29 Eskmo
    4/4-4/6 Lotus @ Boulder Theater, CO
    4/8 Sigur Ros
    4/12 Gramatik
    4/15 Morrissey
    4/19 Umphrey's McGee // The M Machine
    4/20 Dirty Phonics
    5/2 Alk3
    5/10 Bonobo
    5/31 Lucky Date
    6/3 Postal Service
    6/13-6/16 Bonnaroo

there's lots of noobs asking for camping tips in every thread, so

noobs like your mom

Quote Originally Posted by kidsinafricalovekanye View Post
    noobs like your mom
    nice first post!

Why do you recommend the spray sun screens? I've always found them to be messy and less reliable than the stuff you can actually spread.

Quote Originally Posted by natureboy View Post
    99 cent store is the best!

gonna do one last stop at bed bath & beyond. they always have something random.

COACHELLAAAAAAA!!!!!
    Absolutely the BEST spot for glow sticks! We found stuff there we never saw before. Watch for us glowing:-)

We bring half the house for Coachella, it is a major vacation for us and we plan it all year long. Last year we brought a full size BBQ with a side burner and cooked for everyone around us!

Water...as much water as you can bring depending on whether you are car camping or tent camping. Last year the showers were closed from noon till 8:00PM and that is the hottest part of the day. We had some hand held fans that sprayed a fine mist but this year we have a couple of battery operated fans. Water guns, spray bottles, any way to cool down in the heat you may not be used to in April if you aren't from the Southern part of the country. Slip and slides are popular at Coachella:-)

Shade - canopy, tarp, anything that you can sit under. A 10x10 canopy with hippie tapestries works perfect!

If you bring a cooler dry ice will extend your ice quite a bit and ice is expensive in the camping area. Warm beer is not that refreshing when it is 90 out though so ice is a must in my book. I had a couple of cold beers that had been embedded in the dry ice cooler until Sunday morning that were nice and frosty and much appreciated:-)

If you are going to cook, breakfast is the most reasonable to fix and it can be a brunch to take care of breakfast and lunch. I know it sounds crazy but there is a product called "Batter Blaster" that is organic pancakes in an aerosol can that is really good and what could be easier than pancakes sprayed into the pan? We bring strawberries and whip cream, also in an aerosol can and that is one easy good breakfast. This obviously only works in car camping where you can have a propane stove, grill or whatever.

Solar lights - there are lots available out there now and they provide a nice mellow light for when you get back to the camp site after the nights music.

Comfortable shoes - don't wear a pair of flip flops if you haven't worn any since last summer and make sure what ever shoes you bring are comfortable and not brand new. Everything is a ways to walk no matter where you camp and there is lots to see. You will enjoy yourself WAY more if your feet don't hurt! If you have room and a bike rack, (with a chain and lock) a bike is not a bad idea.

I need at least some sleep so I have to have a sound machine. Mine works on batteries if necessary and I slept like a baby each night we were there. Other people we camped with laughed at me until they slept in one of the beds in our tent and could not believe how easy it was to sleep with all the commotion around us.

Most important - A good attitude!! Seriously, Coachella is a blast as long as you are patient and realize that it is a big event and there are bound to be snafus. Just relax, enjoy the music, meet some wonderful people and your Coachella experience will be one to remember forever! You can pack big or light and still have a great time! Even if you forget something chances are one of your neighbors remembered and there are no strangers at Coachella. We might all be strange, but not strangers:-)

A sound machine? Like one of those ones that play soothing ambient sounds like waves? I find it hard to believe that would help
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

Quote Originally Posted by Jankypirate View Post
    A sound machine? Like one of those ones that play soothing ambient sounds like waves? I find it hard to believe that would help
    Believe it or not, on high volume in a tent it works like a charm. Waves are not as good as waterfall, rain, or white noise, but all of these drown out the noises around you. I would not say it if it weren't true and I really don't have any reason to mislead you. For some people the noise from the sound machine is disruptive for a night or two when you first start using it, but if you use it at all it is a normal sound to sleep to. I am a very light sleeper and seriously would not be able to sleep except in brief naps at Coachella without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    I need at least some sleep so I have to have a sound machine. Mine works on batteries if necessary and I slept like a baby each night we were there. Other people we camped with laughed at me until they slept in one of the beds in our tent and could not believe how easy it was to sleep with all the commotion around us.
    Great advice and tips all around, but let me ask where you got your battery operated "sound machine" ? My girlfriend needs one to sleep well, not just because of the background party atmosphere but my rampant snore might have something to do with it... She usually uses white noise via a computer, but a battery powered noise supply might be even better!
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post
    Great advice and tips all around, but let me ask where you got your battery operated "sound machine" ? My girlfriend needs one to sleep well, not just because of the background party atmosphere but my rampant snore might have something to do with it... She usually uses white noise via a computer, but a battery powered noise supply might be even better!
    Walmart had them as of last week. Mine works by regular power or batteries.

This is the one I have. Walmart online says it is instock and it is $17.00 with $.97 shipping.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/HoMedics-S...ci_sku=2686012
    It has ocean, summer night, rain, rain forest, waterfall, and heartbeat which is really sort of creepy but meant for newborns...a sound they are used to:-) The only complaint I have with this one is the ocean wave sound has seagulls, not just the occasional seagull which I would not mind, but it is looped with the waves so every 5 seconds another seagull.... just wakes me up and I keep focusing on it so it is not soothing for me. If you have a smart phone there are many different apps for this and there are some REALLY good ocean sounds that are supposed to be live ocean sounds somewhere or another. They are like being on the beach and no seagulls:-) This works when your phone is plugged in to a power source better though and uses battery life if not plugged in. I am a really light sleeper and mine really makes a big difference. When I travel I can't sleep at all but if I have the silly sound machine no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jankypirate View Post
    I took a whole bottle of ear plugs last year and just started passing them out at night. A lot cheaper than buying an Ambient Sound Machine
    Coachella '10 + '11!

Lurker

Believe it or not, on high volume in a tent it works like a charm. Waves are not as good as waterfall, rain, or white noise, but all of these drown out the noises around you. I would not say it if it weren't true and I really don't have any reason to mislead you. For some people the noise from the sound machine is disruptive for a night or two when you first start using it, but if you use it at all it is a normal sound to sleep to. I am a very light sleeper and seriously would not be able to sleep except in brief naps at Coachella without it.
    I'm glad I find commotion from other people talking and having fun soothing. I can sleep anywhere. Except for annoying high pitched girl laughs that scrape paint off cars.

ear plugs did the trick for me last year.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Sonybonez View Post
    I took a whole bottle of ear plugs last year and just started passing them out at night. A lot cheaper than buying an Ambient Sound Machine
    Except I have had the sound machine for more than 5 years, used almost every day = Lots of earplugs:-)

This is the one I have. Walmart online says it is instock and it is $17.00 with $.97 shipping.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonybonez View Post
    Yeah, but earplugs after a while get to be a bit annoying, don't you think? I guess you can get used to them but that constant pressure on the inner ear walls can be uncomfortable. But if it works for ya, then yeah.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Great list! Thank you!
    First time camping...going to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by AffliKtion View Post
    I'm glad I find commotion from other people talking and having fun soothing. I can sleep anywhere. Except for annoying high pitched girl laughs that scrape paint off cars.
    You are so lucky! My daughter who is now 20 did not sleep through the night until she was almost 3. That means that mom didn't either and it just set in so deep for some reason that I still don't sleep without listening for.... something! I have been on baby watch for 20 years now and without the sound machine every little noise wakes me up. Hope nothing seriously bad ever happens at night because I would never hear it now with the sound machine on warp volume.

You really are lucky:-)

Bump...Bump! Bump!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkladyam View Post
    Bump...Bump! Bump!

Bump..bump or hump..hump

The Coachella beauty's essentials
    Http://sparklystateofmind.Tumblr.com
    Shameless advertising for my beauty blog, but swear it's Coachella-related
    xoxo

For those sweaty and uncomfortable moments (this even works for men)...

We're getting close...
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

should i even bother with a sleeping bag? i mean won't it be too hot to be under that thing?
    what's worked best for you guys in terms of sleeping bags, pillows, blankets. i'm an easy-going sleeper, not too fussed about all of this i'm just trying to figure out what to pack since i'm flying across the country for this thing.
    thanks!

Also - i figure i'll bring my nalgene in so i can just fill up whenever i need water...that's allowed right? is there somewhere to fill up inside?
    Last edited by swiftcoins; 04-05-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Absolutely the BEST spot for glow sticks! We found stuff there we never saw before. Watch for us glowing:-)
    Michael's also has very cheap and good glowsticks.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched moonbeams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain...

It's cold enough at night for the sleeping bag.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Quote Originally Posted by swiftcoins View Post
    should i even bother with a sleeping bag? i mean won't it be too hot to be under that thing?
    what's worked best for you guys in terms of sleeping bags, pillows, blankets. i'm an easy-going sleeper, not too fussed about all of this i'm just trying to figure out what to pack since i'm flying across the country for this thing.
    thanks!

Also - i figure i'll bring my nalgene in so i can just fill up whenever i need water...that's allowed right? is there somewhere to fill up inside?
    I usually just take a a couple blankets. They're easy to wrap yourself in when sitting outside your tent at night, and then when you're ready to crash, just drag yourself back to your tent. They're also easy to kick off when the heat of the morning wakes you up.
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!