Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: **Coachella Camper's Survival Kit**

Cool **Coachella Camper's Survival Kit**

Glad to know that after almost 5 years, this is still the go-to thread for this topic! The camping experience may have changed since this was started, but the essentials stay the same.

I may not be a huge talker on these boards, but I'm no Coachella noob, so I present to you my (Un)Official Ultimate Coachella Camper's Survival Kit!!!!

Coppertone Sport Continuous spray 50spf - for all but your face, it's also refreshingly cool! Doesn't have to be Coppertone, you can get the really fancy Neutrogena stuff but it's more expensive, but DEFINITELY the spray stuff!

Neutrogena UltraSheer Dry Touch with helioplex
    - for your facial area, ears, neck and shoulders included. (Don't skimp on this one, it's oil free and the best stuff out there in my ghostly white skinned opinion)

Sunglasses - to protect your eyes from harmful UV rays and brightness from the hot desert sun.

Bucket hat - better than a cap, it's light and 360 degree shade around your head.

Cortizone 10 - trust me on this one...

Benadryl - I myself am allergic to SOMETHING at Coachella and my hands always break out in hives for some reason, Benadryl fixes that right up and is good to keep with you just in case.

Advil - or your pain reliever of choice, lots of walking around in the heat = foot aches and/or headaches.

Band-Aids - Blisters, cuts, etc. The fabric ones are the best because they stay on if you sweat.

Nail clippers - not just for nails, has many uses, make sure it has that little pokey thing too.

Toilet Paper - you'll thank me, if you want you can bring seat covers too.

Flashlight(s)/Lantern(s) - to light up camp and allow you to see things. Just as useful in the fest as the campground, a mini-mag is your best friend, keep it with you at all times after sunset.

Purell - Germs, people!

Wet Ones - quick "shower" if you don't want to get up early or stand in the shower line.

"Don't forget to bring a towel!" - Seriously, for excess sweat and general cleanliness. Also a smaller towel is GREAT for soaking in water and putting around the back of your neck. It feels good!

Looks like Towelie already remembered the next item on this list so I'll skip it.

Cash - for spending on food/merch/whatever else isn't free.

Water bottles + big 'ole jugs - DUH! We're ganna be in the DESERT people! Can't have enough of this stuff.

Red Bull - or your energy drink of choice because good luck finding decent coffee. EDIT: there is in fact good coffee, but it's a bit pricey.

SNACKS! - cheaper than buying food there, only bring NON-PERISHABLES!

A digital watch - if you don't have one and your phone dies, you don't want to miss any set times! (Also bring your cell phone charger.)

A good attitude - for yourself and the sanity of those around you.

Last but CERTAINLY not least - YOUR F'n TICKETS! ... and/or wristbands ... DON'T FORGET THEM!

Note I didn't put "tent" or "sleeping bag" or "air mattress" or "canopy"... those are givens... and "acid, shrooms and booze" and the like aren't really "survival" kit material, those are just fun ad-ons if you wish. Not that I condone such action >_> ...

A QUICK NOTE ABOUT COOKING:

This is taken straight from the source:

The use of a outdoor cooking appliance is only permitted in the Car Camping and RV Camping areas. Cooking in the Tent Camping area is not permitted. The following are the requirements for the use of a outdoor cooking appliance:

1. All cooking appliances shall bear a certification or listing from a nationally recognized testing or certification organization.
    2. Cooking appliances that only utilize propane as the fuel source shall be permitted. No wood, charcoal, flammable/combustible liquid cooking appliances permitted.
    3. One cooking appliance per camp site shall be permitted.
    4. Maximum amount of propane per campsite shall not exceed 20 pounds or 48 pounds of water capacity.
    5. A minimum of 3 feet of clearance shall be maintained at all times while the cooking appliance is in use. No combustible material shall be within 3 feet of the cooking appliance.
    6. Cooking appliances shall only be used during the hours of 7:00 am to 2:00 am PST.
    7. Cooking appliances, when in use, shall not be left unattended.

Rules & Safety Tips shall be posted at each camping site and included as a handout to all campers.
    --Being prepared = more fun.
    --BrettShipes
    Last edited by BrettShipes; 04-16-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Quick edits... and it's now been 5 years...

Default Re: **Coachella Camper's Survival Kit**

i'm not used to carry even 1/3 of these...

maybe i should....

That's pretty close to an exact copy of what I brought last year as well, minus the ant-itch creme and the TP. The wetnaps and the small towel were really fuckin' handy last year.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Nicely done.

this makes me nervous, like a homework assignment that I keep ignoring
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    this makes me nervous, like a homework assignment that I keep ignoring
    Funny story, while compiling this list I should have been doing homework... go figure
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    I walked straight in with a mixed drink in a 20oz Dixie cup in one hand, and an unopened beer in the other. I fully intended to toss them in the box, but CSC was waving and hurrying me through.

Thats pretty good dude. I don't know what you needed the anti itch for but I don't want you to answer. No kidding about being allergic to something. I spent the entire first day sneezing last year.

so i need about $20,000 in unmarked bills?
    the lurker shows his member to the kids at the old school.

$30,000 if you want Gatorade instead of water.
    I walked straight in with a mixed drink in a 20oz Dixie cup in one hand, and an unopened beer in the other. I fully intended to toss them in the box, but CSC was waving and hurrying me through.

I'm gonna look into those sunscreens. I rarely use it even though I'm pale as hell...I just stay out of the sun alltogether. I wind up going and grabbing something cheap right before a vacation or Coachella.

Also, good idea about a watch! And I gotta remember to put my SIM in my old phone and bring that instead of my Smartphone. Don't want to lose it, plus my old one will run for 2 or 3 days straight if you don't use it much. And the Smartphone is harder to see in the sun.

This is THE sunscreen right here. There is a reason that its $30 for a 4 oz bottle. It is the pro shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    This is THE sunscreen right here. There is a reason that its $30 for a 4 oz bottle. It is the pro shit.

Good thing I have that huge stack of $100s

I"m packing as i'm typing and the other day i scored a find, i went to the camping store to get a fan and some other odds and ends and got a couple of packets of gatorade mix, that way water will still be enough
    ~~~COACHELLA 2007- 2011~~~

Originally Posted by humanoid
    Coachella is much better enjoyed with a sense of absolute freedom...

I always forget to put on sunscreen. Still never get a burn. Which is sweet.

add goldbond to

yeah, I suck at reading, my bad. I would also have to go with a good bug spray for late at night as well as a cool light to hang in your tent so you can chill and play dominoes or cards before heading off to bed? I have never been but just thinking of some good things to have if I were to camp. Hehehe
    Last edited by trancehiphop; 04-01-2008 at 01:15 AM.

um, they didn't forget. did you read the original post?
    At some point in time a man switches from "I'll have what he's having" to "I'll have what I'm having."

What about lanterns? are they allowed?

Visine is a definite must for a plethora of reasons:

1) Probably the most obvious. It takes the "red" out. Then again, you could not give a shit and hide behind your sunglasses all day.

2) The harsh desert heart seriously dries out your pretty peepers. Trust me, I tore my cornea on the first day even before I got in the festival when trying to remove a contact.

3) If anyone crosses you, add it to their water and give them diarrhea for the next several hours. *I jest, I jest*
    I love how you're trying to be a good influence right now, but I'm not going to listen to you.

I love how you're trying to be a good influence right now, but I'm not going to listen to you.

I don't get it. Do you not have to reapply it? because that's some serious cash to spend for such a little amount. And it's "fragrance-free?" If I'm shelling out $30 for sunscreen, it better smell amazing and have shimmery gold sprinkles in it or something (I had this Lancome sunscreen back in the early 90's that was like that--it smelled soooo nice).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

It better give the people around me skin cancer for $30.

Quote Originally Posted by KindigerJ View Post
    3) If anyone crosses you, add it to their water and give them diarrhea for the next several hours. *I jest, I jest*
    Or, you know, put them in a coma.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

one add to the list:

battery powered area LEDs. you know, the kind you get at the checkout of a hardware or camping store. whatever the canadian tire equivalent in the states is.

anyways, one per person. invaluable for late night bathroom trips (no lights inside the port a potties), finding your shit, reading, writing, planning in your tent, and packing up in the dark sunday/monday (which is the way to go- trust me. if you tear down and pack up in the morning /midday sun, you'll regret it for days, my friend).
    yeah. like two bucks apiece. we also used a pair of them to light our hitchhiking sign "LA-ISH".
    we got picked up before we even made it off empire polo property

Quote Originally Posted by trancehiphop View Post
    I would also have to go with a good bug spray for late at night
    I donít think youíll need it. As far as I know, thereís not much of a bug problem at the polo grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I don't get it. Do you not have to reapply it? because that's some serious cash to spend for such a little amount. And it's "fragrance-free?" If I'm shelling out $30 for sunscreen, it better smell amazing and have shimmery gold sprinkles in it or something (I had this Lancome sunscreen back in the early 90's that was like that--it smelled soooo nice).
    At Coachella I put it on once in the morning after I shower, and then again before I go into the fest. No burn at Coachella and I fucking BURN. Yeah, its fragrance free for a reason. It was originally created by a guy (well 2 guys really) - whos wife has severe allergies/sensitivity to sunlight due to having Lupus. It's mostly sold at salons and dermatological offices. It wont run into / burn your eyes when you sweat. The Tampa Bay Bucaneers use it exclusively. I dont expect anyone to actually go out and buy it when the other stuff is so much cheaper. I got a sample of Fenix once and I wont go back to the other stuff. I do like Ocean Potion though if I cant Fenix:

your collage is nicely done

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    one add to the list:

battery powered area LEDs. you know, the kind you get at the checkout of a hardware or camping store. whatever the canadian tire equivalent in the states is.

anyways, one per person. invaluable for late night bathroom trips (no lights inside the port a potties), finding your shit, reading, writing, planning in your tent, and packing up in the dark sunday/monday (which is the way to go- trust me. if you tear down and pack up in the morning /midday sun, you'll regret it for days, my friend).
    yeah. like two bucks apiece. we also used a pair of them to light our hitchhiking sign "LA-ISH".
    we got picked up before we even made it off empire polo property
    You can probably get the lights from REI in the states.

That sunscreen sounds pretty epic. My girlfriend burns like a a vampire in the sun. I'll have to let her know about it. Thanks. I'm assuming it doesn't have PABA in it if it was made for someone with bad allergies but I have to ask. If you have a PABA allergy you understand why I ask.