Thread: Things to do across the USA

Default Things to do across the USA

Hey I'm making the big road trip down from the frozen north of Canada. I'm stopping in these cities:

Salt Lake(or area)
    Las Vegas
    Palm Springs(only one day before the fest)
    San Diego
    Anaheim
    LA
    San Francisco
    Seattle

We're doing a lot of the obvious things in each place but I thought if people had suggestions of some sweet things to do or places to eat in those cities if they could add them here. I'm pretty sure there are a few of us doing this type of thing

Default Re: Things to do across the USA

sounds like a great trip man. I would skip Anaheim unless you are going to Knotts Berry Farm or Disneyland. There is nothing in Anaheim

Head to the beach in LA. Santa Monica/Venice are both fun.
    Since your heading down south, stopping for a bite or quick beach stop after San Francisco, go to Santa Barbara or Ventura

If you go to Pasadena while in LA, Saladang/Saladang-song (sister resterautn right next door) is the best Thai food in LA (at least from all the ones i've been too)

Zankou chicken is great as well. Portos bakery for great Cuban food and pasteries
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

We're planning on doing Disney and The Wild Animal park. Seattle we're going to a baseball game and thats mainly what we have planned. We did it last year and it was fun but our one friend had a weak stomach so we had to be careful with what we ate.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post

If you go to Pasadena while in LA, Saladang/Saladang-song (sister resterautn right next door) is the best Thai food in LA (at least from all the ones i've been too)
    Yum Yum Asparagus!!

When you get to Anaheim, go to Lindbrook Bowling. It's a historical landmark simply because a month ago a buddy and I were able to beat the shit out of 7 drunken racist college kids who thought their shit didn't stink.

Ask about a Korean and a Hispanic guy in a brawl with a bunch of cracker ass crackers and they'll regale you with our glorious story. Especially about the guy who had to be carried out of the place by three of his friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    if i had 1200 bucks id buy another guitar, or a bunch of pot...

Thats pretty awesome! Are you the Korean or Hispanic dude?

Also Asparagus is yummy. They do it well there?

Quote Originally Posted by JClemy View Post
    Thats pretty awesome! Are you the Korean or Hispanic dude?

Also Asparagus is yummy. They do it well there?
    My favourite way to cook asparagus is to put on a baking sheet, drizzle olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and some freshly grated parmesan and put it in the oven.... no boiling or anything, but damn.
    I can sleep in till noon anytime I want
    Though there's not many days that I do
    Gotta get up and take on that world
    When your an adult it's no cliche it's the truth

Hey I'm making the big road trip down from the frozen north of Canada. I'm stopping in these cities:

Salt Lake(or area)
    Las Vegas
    Palm Springs(only one day before the fest)
    San Diego
    Anaheim
    LA
    San Francisco
    Seattle

We're doing a lot of the obvious things in each place but I thought if people had suggestions of some sweet things to do or places to eat in those cities if they could add them here. I'm pretty sure there are a few of us doing this type of thing

oh and watch playoff hockey in anaheim or something like that... probably damn easy to get tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by traviscanada View Post
    My favourite way to cook asparagus is to put on a baking sheet, drizzle olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and some freshly grated parmesan and put it in the oven.... no boiling or anything, but damn.
    I usually steam it and let it soak in a mixture of Freshly grated Ginger, freshly thin sliced garlic and soy sauce. After letting it soak I throw it on a baking pan and bake it. It's delicious. Your way is really good too. Looks like we could have an asparagus cooking thread.

oh and watch playoff hockey in anaheim or something like that... probably damn easy to get tickets.
    We were going to do that last year but we were only in Anaheim for the day so we missed the game. It's cheap and easy to get tickets. Not like Calgary.

[QUOTE=JClemy;529025]I usually steam it and let it soak in a mixture of Freshly grated Ginger, freshly thin sliced garlic and soy sauce. After letting it soak I throw it on a baking pan and bake it. It's delicious. Your way is really good too. Looks like we could have an asparagus cooking thread.
    QUOTE]

I will have to try your way. I got some short ribs I want to braise but trying to figure out what kind of liquid to use (no veal stock obviously)..

This looks kinda delicious

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1627...255193,00.html

I'm thinking we do need a favorite recipes thread.

Eat at Pink's in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

That looks so delicious and wrong. Thank you GPS. I'm a little uncomfortable putting things that long into my mouth though.

That's how I make mine.

If you go to San Fran, be sure to eat some seafood on a street bar on Fisherman's Wharf. And in Seattle, go to the Public Market...touristy but fun to wander around and sample the fresh organic produce and cheese from Beechers.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    That's how I make mine.

If you go to San Fran, be sure to eat some seafood on a street bar on Fisherman's Wharf. And in Seattle, go to the Public Market...touristy but fun to wander around and sample the fresh organic produce and cheese from Beechers.
    ya, go down there and have a bowl of clam choudder sp in a french bread bowl ... it is the absolute moment for food you will ever have lol ... x**** oh, eat in SF and go check out the public market in seattle, there are a number of places there to also get some great food ... but sf, no words ... x****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

We're driving from Edmonton. Through Seattle, Portland and San Francisco on the way -- and Vegas and maybe Salt Lake City on the way back.

Seattle we're hitting up the Rock & Roll Museum and whatever else is interesting. San Francisco for some fresh seafood and a Cannabis Club visit. If anyone has any other recommendations for these cities I'd love to hear them -- Portland as well, I know it's a nice city but that's it.

When we went in 2006 we stayed in Vegas for a few days after the festival and watched playoff hockey in a sports lounge where we ran into a couple from Calgary and a trio from (I think) Redwater. It was relatively amusing, 10 of us Albertans sitting in Vegas watching hockey on TV! Probably do the same thing this time.

As for the rest of the way back I have no idea. Salt Lake City, Idaho Falls, Helena (and maybe Butte!) don't seem like very exciting places. Anyone have recommendations here?

The EMP music museum is awesome! so is the Sci Fi museum beside it. Go check out a sporting event in some of the cities along the way. The Ben Lomand hotel in Ogden which is just past salt lake was a really nice hotel and cheap. My experiences in Salt Lake are that it should be avoided. This place looks cool though http://www.oneworldeverybodyeats.com/

In Butte the Motel 6 is quite nice. We were worried about it being crappy but it was nice and not to pricey.

You might be able to catch the oilers playing if they actually make the playoffs. Sorry but I'm hoping they don't.

How many Days are you in Vegas. Be sure to stop at Primm outlets before you get to Vegas. They are on the way and theres some good prices on stuff.

I think in San Fran we're going to stay here http://www.sfhoteldesarts.com/index.php
    Also make sure you go to Ghiradelli to get free samples of delicious chocolate.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Words
    Thanks for the heads up, that One World Everybody Eats place looks nifty. Not sure how long we'll be in Vegas this time, at least 2 days/1 night -- not really into fashion, but I will check out Neiman Marcus because they always have great shoes.

As for the Oilers, well, see my post in the NHL thread. Thanks to everyone getting points for losing in overtime, and St. Louis' inability to beat anyone (including the Preds) I just don't see the Oil making it this time. Which is unfortunate because betting them to upset the #1 seed is usually good money!

How expensive are Seattle Mariners tickets? I'm not a baseball fan but live sporting events are always enjoyable (with a little help)

The Primm outlet isn't all fashion. I always get shoes there because it's hard to find size 14 in Canada.

The most expensive Mariners tickets are like $60 I think
    http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/tick...e.jsp?c_id=sea

Well, there's always fucking yourself...
    -----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by nothingman00 View Post
    Well, there's always fucking yourself...
    Quite the creative posting spree you're on tonight.

heading south from Salt Lake on the 1-15 to Las Vegas stop off the interstate and purchase a shirt or hat (or both) from Beaver, UT. Almost as cool as a shirt or hat (or both) from Weed, CA.

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

I think in San Fran we're going to stay here http://www.sfhoteldesarts.com/index.php
    I've never heard of this place, but it looks interesting (and relatively cheap for SF and the neighborhood).

In Sf, you might try to catch a show, there are lots of good small venues. If the weather is nice, spend a couple of hours in Golden Gate park in the afternoon, or have a few drinks in one of the bars that have outdoor patios. Early May is usually pretty nice here.

here's what I wanna do across the USA:

visit Aberdeen, WA (and the famous bridge)
    Seattle, WA (the park across from his old house)
    The crossroads used in beginning/end of Cast Away (in Texas)
    the small town in Nebraska, that my favorite book is modeled after
    Indiana
    A bigfoot hunt in the Pacific Northwest

Where is the bridge in Aberdeen and where was his house? I know I could look it up but you are probably more knowledgable than a lot of people online.

When you get to LA, go to Skid Row and kill a hobo.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.