Page 472 of 540 FirstFirst ... 467468469470471472473474475476477 ... LastLast
Results 14,131 to 14,160 of 16171

Thread: NIN tour dates

Default Re: NIN tour dates

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    It will be at the end for the credits. The soundtrack is pretty much in order for the film. (or thats just how it feels) Why create so much material and then put it in this order if it wasnt going to span the whole film in this sequence?
    That awful song will definitely be buried deep in the credits with thanks to panavision and Kodak

http://www.nme.com/news/nine-inch-nails/60900
    Trent Reznor has said that Nine Inch Nails may release a new full-length album in 2012.

The musician, who has just completed work on the soundtrack for David Fincher's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo film, has confirmed that he will resume work under the moniker of Nine Inch Nails in earnest next year. He last released a full album under the name Nine Inch Nails in 2008 with 'The Slip'.

Speaking to The Sun, Reznor said that his focus was now very much on Nine Inch Nails, saying: "Nine Inch Nails is not dead by any means, but all the touring and record writing has been thrown off for a little bit. I highly expect that to be the focus of 2012 in terms of writing and we may see a full-length release even".

Reznor also revealed that he took inspiration from David Bowie when he decided to temporarily abandon Nine Inch Nails in favour of new project How To Detroy Angels and work on the soundtracks of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and the Oscar winning The Social Network.

He said of this: "It started to feel like if I didn't force myself into a change I would regret it. It's a fear of not wanting to try things because you're in a comfort zone. I always think about my hero David Bowie and his fearlessness to destroy something that isn't ready to break yet and start something new".

He continued: "He'd throw out an identity, confuse his audience and it's a great risk career-wise. But he had the balls and didn't milk it out to the last drop".

It seems that new HTDA song has made him reconsider going back to solo production

Farewell tour my ass.

Killed it in 05'. But was the first time that I saw them and was blown away!

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blazin View Post
    that'd be a welcome coachella reunion.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

I could see it happening in two or three years

Pretty much the equivalent in my book of the next robot duo tour. I don't think I could ever get tired of NIN shows.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Now with "official visuals".

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross nominated for a Golden Globe, again.....

You're late. I've known that for almost 2 hours already.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

BOOM!
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    You're late. I've known that for almost 2 hours already.
    Did you post it.

Trent Reznor: The Fresh Air Interview
    Audio for this story from Fresh Air from WHYY will be available at approx. 5:00 p.m. ET
    December 19, 2011

Enlarge Frank Micelotta/Getty Images
    Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails.

Frank Micelotta/Getty Images
    Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails.

Enlarge Sony Pictures

Sony Pictures Hear The Music
    "Hidden In Snow"
    [5 min 19 sec]
    Add to Playlist
    "People Lie All The Time"
    [4 min 8 sec]
    Add to Playlist
    "What If We Could"
    [3 min 59 sec]
    Add to Playlist
    text size A A A December 19, 2011
    When filmmaker David Fincher asked Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor and his songwriting partner Atticus Ross to compose the music for his U.S. film adaptation of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Fincher had one request: for the music to sound 'textural.'

So Reznor and Ross, who won an Oscar for their score of Fincher's 2010 film The Social Network, experimented with sounds created by stretched-out bell tones, piano beds filled with nails and clothespins, and mixes of distorted instruments played imperfectly.

"We wanted to create the sound of coldness — emotionally and also physically," Reznor tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross. "We wanted to take lots of acoustic instruments ... and transplant them into a very inorganic setting, and dress the set around them with electronics."

Reznor and Ross' hauntingly beautiful soundtrack features three hours of new instrumental music and two cover songs — Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song," with lead vocals by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Karen O, and a cover of Bryan Ferry's "Is Your Love Strong Enough," with lead locals by Reznor's wife, Mariqueen Maandig. Those two covers complement the instrumental score, on which tracks are layered with simple melodies, machine-like noises and unsettling synthesizers to create a dark, moody atmosphere and complement the foreboding images on screen.

"[The instrumental sounds are] processed and stretched and manipulated into a setting where it may sound harmonically familiar, but if you tune into it, it's not behaving in a way that you're accustomed to that type of sound behaving," Reznor says. "I find experimenting around in that is an interesting place to work."

Creating A 'Downward Spiral'

Reznor's experimentation with "found sound" and discordant harmonies started early in his career, when he says he was inspired by bands like Throbbing Gristle and the films of David Lynch.

"As early as [Nine Inch Nails'] album Downward Spiral, there was a lot of effort and experiments going on — layering in sounds that might bother you under music to create a sense of anxiety," he says. "I've always found that it's an interesting instrument to bring into the mix — creating melody or purpose out of noise in the various shapes noise can take, whether it could be the hum of a radiator to a room tone, [to create] something that evokes an emotional response."

Downward Spiral, Nine Inch Nails' second album, was written in 1993, after the band had started to make a name for itself in the Cleveland underground industrial-music scene.

"I decided to write a conceptual record that told the story of somebody that was futilely trying to fill up a hole in their being with whatever it might be — sex or drugs, or to try to escape from a sense of emptiness," Reznor says. "And I felt that that created a framework where I could write these songs that all kind of made sense."

The album sold more than five million copies worldwide, with "Hurt" and "Closer" cracking the Billboard Top 10. Reznor says the album, about a man whose life spirals out of control, was not autobiographical at the time he wrote it.

"But the terrible irony of the story is that the story [in Downward Spiral] came to life over the next few years," he says. "My own life spiraled out of control, and I look back now and think, 'I was writing about me.' ... I think that I was somebody who was pretty immature emotionally. And when thrust into a situation that was very abnormal — of fame and adulation — I wasn't really equipped to deal with it very well."

In the late '90s, Reznor says he started relying on alcohol to get him through the day. He also began drinking heavily on tours.

"Things progressed from there and caught up with me," he says. "And realizing I am an addict, it took me a while to realize that. And then it took me a while to take the necessary steps to deal with that. ... I wound up in a pretty bad place that I hope to never return to."

Enlarge John Gaps/AP Photo
    Trent Reznor performs with Nine Inch Nails at Woodstock '94.

John Gaps/AP Photo
    Trent Reznor performs with Nine Inch Nails at Woodstock '94.
    Heading Down A Slippery Slope

Reznor took five years off between Downward Spiral and Nine Inch Nails' next album, 1999's The Fragile, which he says he wrote in his darkest moments.

"[It] was written in a very slippery, thin-ice slope, knowing there's something wrong here — and trying to address it but not embracing the treatment," Reznor says. "Once that record came out, we went back on tour in the worst condition I could have possibly started a year-long tour. When that tour finished, shortly thereafter, I was finished. It reached a point where I threw my hands up and said, 'It's going to go one way or the other: I'm going to be dead, or I'm going to fix myself. Because I cannot stay feeling like this."

Reznor entered a treatment facility, after years of avoiding any kind of help.

"Somewhere," he says, "there was still somewhat of a logical person in there that said, 'Okay, this just doesn't work. You've tried every rule-bending thing you can do here. Accept the fact, and let's do this thing."

Nine Inch Nails went on hiatus for six years during Reznor's treatment. In 2005, the band released With Teeth and then in 2007, Year Zero, a concept album that presented a dystopian view of the future of the U.S. A few years later, Reznor formed the band How to Destroy Angels with his wife, Mariqueen Maandig, and Atticus Ross, with whom he later collaborated for The Social Network and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Reznor says he always tries to include a personal component somewhere in his compositions. Even his earliest song lyrics, from 1989's Pretty Hate Machine, were all based on private journal entries, he says.

"When I finally had the courage to marry some of those up with music, then I thought, 'Well, this is very powerful, but I can never play it for anybody,' because I didn't create a character consciously," he says. "That character was just me unfiltered. And I realized when I did have the courage to play it for some people, that it had a strength to it, a resonance to it. That became the template to what Nine Inch Nails was about."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Related NPR Stories

Music Interviews
    Trent Reznor: Iconoclast To Icon, Via Oscar
    5 Favorite Cover Songs Of 2011

Dec. 13, 2011
    Movie Music 2011: Oscar-Nominated Scores

Feb. 26, 2011
    Trent Reznor Releases 'Ghosts' for All

May 19, 2008
    Interview Highlights
    On Nine Inch Nails In The Mid-1990s

There's a lot of 'I's' in Nine Inch Nails lyrics, particularly that era. Part of that was a lack of skill of writing, and part of it was I learned early on [that] the only thing I could say that had any integrity was truthful things."

On His Depression In The Late 1990s

"You're standing on stage in a sold-out arena with people singing your music, and you feel like the loneliest person in the world. Because here's a party that, essentially, it's for you. And you still somehow feel like you don't belong there. Those people all have their lives and go back home. And you get back on a tour bus and — you can't say that sort of thing without sounding pathetic, and I fully realize that. But what was wrong with me was there was just an imbalance. Regardless of what was put in front of me, I could find a way to feel bad about it. I was just wired that way. I could write the best song in the world and never feel like it was that great. Or look in the mirror and see somebody I don't like. It just took me into a bad place."

On His Musical Inspirations

"I did not grow up in a cosmopolitan environment. I grew up in a little town in the middle of nowhere, pre-Internet, pre-college radio. My input for the first 16, 17 years of my life was AM radio, FM radio — pretty mainstream stuff. Rolling Stone was probably as edgy as it got. I think growing up on a solid diet of listening to melodic-based pop music instilled in me that format of hooks and something to grab onto. As I started writing music, and considering how to write music, it would come back to something that was memorable. I tried to think in terms of choruses and hooks and melodies — even if that was set in a very noisy, atonal environment. And I realized a lot of music I liked at the time was hinting at the same sort of thing."

On His Music

"I think it's easy to make impenetrable music that nobody can get, and you can hide behind that sometimes. I kind of like the idea of subversively working your way into people's heads, and then you can say whatever you want."
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting!

It seems to me that since he's already back recording as NIN (as he said he would), it's going to be awfully hard for the band to keep from setting out on a subsequent tour. Damn all of those "last" shows. I saw the "last" show at Bonnaroo but I'm glad we didn't fly to LA, swap our tix when one show was no longer "last", rebook flights, etc etc like some people did.

I don't think any of those people regret any of that.

I think Trent just did that to see how far he could push himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

The shows were still awesome. Well I only went to one, so and it was great.

D, what's the word on the soundtrack and the album with his wife? I haven't listened to a thing yet... havent heard any glowing reviews from frenz here in town yet

I just listened to immigrant song. Neato.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahfontaine View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting!

It seems to me that since he's already back recording as NIN (as he said he would), it's going to be awfully hard for the band to keep from setting out on a subsequent tour. Damn all of those "last" shows. I saw the "last" show at Bonnaroo but I'm glad we didn't fly to LA, swap our tix when one show was no longer "last", rebook flights, etc etc like some people did.
    I don't get this at all. I was at Bonnaroo and I was two of the last show in L.A. including the final Wiltern gig. I fucking loved every second of the shows I saw throughout that tour. Why would anyone be upset that he decided to tour again whenever he does? Especially when he went out of his way to say he didn't mean forever.

Yay, I can listen to this on the way home from work tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I'm just happy that out of 4 NY shows they played, I picked Webster Hall and got lucky with Downward Spiral from start to finish. Given that webster hall concerts are pretty much saunas during summer time, I've never been so hot and uncomfortable after that show.

Thank you Trent

See you in year 2015.

7/29 Conor Oberst @ Summerstage
    8/2 Daniele Baldelli/Simian Mobile Disco @ PS1
    8/2 Magda @ Output
    8/3 Seth Troxler/the Martinez Brothers @ Gov Island
    8/3 Seth Troxler @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I don't get this at all. I was at Bonnaroo and I was two of the last show in L.A. including the final Wiltern gig. I fucking loved every second of the shows I saw throughout that tour. Why would anyone be upset that he decided to tour again whenever he does? Especially when he went out of his way to say he didn't mean forever.
    Yeah, you're right. I guess I just read a lot of stuff on the NIN forums about how people were specifically flying in from all over just because they were the very last shows. I doubt there would've been SO much craziness surrounding tickets and such if they hadn't been called out as the farewell set. So I'm excited to think they might tour again, but I'm sure some people who spent thousands and thousands of dollars to see the "last" shows might feel slighted. For ridiculous reasons, maybe. But still slighted.

The Foo Fighters frontman shares memories of working with the Nine Inch Nails mastermind and Oscar winner, who scored the much-anticipated "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." Says Grohl: "He can do everyone else's job better than they can, so you have to be good. And that pushes you to be great."

Of Trent Reznor’s contemporaries, there are certainly plenty of admirers, but it’s a rare rock star who can convey mutual respect in as endearingly mushy a manner as Dave Grohl.

Indeed, ask the 42-year-old Foo Fighters frontman and Nirvana drummer for his thoughts on the Nine Inch Nails mastermind, and you shall receive an essay’s worth of memories, meticulously detailed, impactful and sincere.

Grohl’s words on his time with Reznor, who is featured on the cover of this week's Hollywood Reporter, printed in their entirety, below:

I think I met Trent for the first time in the summer of 1992. Nirvana wasn't working, so I spent the summer at my good friend's house in the San Fernando Valley, sleeping on his floor and going surfing everyday. His house had no air-conditioning, so everyday the sweltering valley heat would wake us up and force us out to the beach. My good friend Brian made it his mission to find a different swimming pool everyday for us to crash. Apartment complexes, peoples' backyards... it didn't matter. If you had a pool, and Brian 'kind of' knew you, we were in your pool all day.

One day Brian called and said, "Guess where we're swimming today? The fucking house where Sharon Tate was murdered by the Manson family..." We all freaked out, didn't ask too many questions, grabbed our towels and split. Once we arrived, I noticed some studio gear in the living room. That same living room that you've photos of a thousand times. I recognized it immediately. I couldn't believe I was actually standing there. And then someone told me it was Nine Inch Nails. They were making their new record in this house. In that room.

And it was a masterpiece.

Years later, I was at home when I got a call from my manager John Silva. He said, "Your buddy Trent Reznor is looking for you. Can I give him your email?" "Sure." I said. I hadn't seen or talked to Trent in years. To be honest, we were never really that close. Just casual acquaintances, maybe do a festival together every now and then. Of course, I had an enormous respect for him as an artist and producer. Just didn't know him as a person.

"His sense of arrangement and composition ranges from beautiful linear structure to abstract. And the effect is always the same: he makes incredibly moving music." — Dave Grohl on Trent Reznor

I checked my email a few hours later and found message from Trent. He was in the process of making a new NIN record and had been recording live drums. He asked if I would be interested in playing on the album, and the hair on my neck immediately stood up. I actually got the chills just from reading the sentence. I RAN down the hall and said to my wife, "Guess what... I think I'm gonna play drums on a Nine Inch Nails record..." I was so blown away. I immediately called Trent, we chatted for a few minutes, he explained what he was up to, and I of course accepted his invitation. He asked when I could start. I said, "Tonight."

We booked into my favorite studio in the valley, Sound City for a few days, then moved over to another studio Grand Master to finish out the session. Originally he only wanted me to play on maybe 5 or 6 songs. We knocked out 3 or 4 in the first day. Everyone was really excited, and at one point he came to me and said, "Hey, I don't want you to feel like I'm taking advantage, but I have a few more songs that might sound good with your drums." I think we ended up recording 10 or 12 tracks. But the funny thing was... he would say, "OK, check this out, it's a rough idea, I'm not so sure about it, but take a listen..." and it would be the most incredible piece of music I'd ever heard. Fucking mind-blowing shit. His standards are so much higher than anyone else’s. He does not settle for or accept anything that isn't amazing.

To me, working with him in the studio was such a great experience because his understanding and knowledge of recording music is so deep. He can do everyone else's job better than they can, so you have to be good. And that pushes you to be great. Rhythmically, he works in very sophisticated patterns, without confusing the song. That's an art. Most drummers can't even do that. His sense of arrangement and composition ranges from beautiful linear structure to abstract. And the effect is always the same: he makes incredibly moving music.

I think it's safe to say that he is my generation's most talented musician-producer-songwriter. When he won the Academy Award, I was not only happy for him, but I was also happy that someone from my musical generation was being recognized not just as a rock musician, but as a brilliant composer. As an artist. It was well-deserved.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-tattoo-272931

7/29 Conor Oberst @ Summerstage
    8/2 Daniele Baldelli/Simian Mobile Disco @ PS1
    8/2 Magda @ Output
    8/3 Seth Troxler/the Martinez Brothers @ Gov Island
    8/3 Seth Troxler @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgasm View Post
    The shows were still awesome. Well I only went to one, so and it was great.

D, what's the word on the soundtrack and the album with his wife? I haven't listened to a thing yet... havent heard any glowing reviews from frenz here in town yet

I just listened to immigrant song. Neato.
    That the immigrant song is kinda schmalzy, but I'm waiting to hear how the song is played into the movie tomorrow.

There was another song that was little close to the nose for me. It came off as a eric satie copy. That's just me.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I heard that the song isn't likely to be in the movie but more likely to be the closing credits.

Schamltzy? Really?

I absolutley love the cover, I think it works perfect with Karen on vocals and it's not some poor carbon copy or pointless reproduction of the original. Fits the movie quite well.

trent was on kcrw this morning. HTDA angels album is done. And he is mulling over doing a live performance of the movie scores.....

This confirms Reznor for 2012 (I wish...)

Trent in 2012 is just as unlikely (and wanted) as the Vince Clarke/Martin Gore project. Yes, please.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I heard about 25 minutes of the Fresh Air interview in my car this evening and was pretty enjoyable, as far as Terry Gross asking totally unnerving questions to her interviewees goes. I enjoy listening to Trent talk.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I enjoy listening to Trent talk.
    Me too. His commentaries for the NIN videos on the Work of Mark Romaneck DVD I've listened to multiple times.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Well I caved and listened to the soundtrack. Had a 5 page paper to write in one nigh so it seemed like a good time.

It's music to go crazy to.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    It's music to go crazy to.
    indeed it is, also that Mondo Poster series is going to be AMAZING