Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark Ronson. Confused>?

Default Re: Mark Ronson. Confused>?

Sigh.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    I watched the youtube video linked from the artist page on the main site... God awful shit. Sorry Josh, it just is.
    Thank god you don't like what most people do.

Thank god.

Most people? That's a funny term.

Now, if most people like crap like Mark Ronson, Calvin Harris, Nickelback, Miley Cyrus and Hinder, more power to them... Don't care if they want to listen to shitty music unless it interferes with my life.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

He's a producer, not an artist.
    Wow, did you really say that? I'm not even going to scroll down to see if someone ripped you for this, which you most certainly deserve. You should reevaluate that statement
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Yeah, no. I'm not. If he's getting recognition and fame for his production and releasing a "solo album" of him "performing" his "own" material, it renders everything beforehand moot.

It's like saying Tom Cruise is a legitimate actor, when he's going to be remembered as a Grade A, certifiable nutcase.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Don't you bring Miley into this. See You Again is a quality dance tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Nobody was talking about Mark Ronson before Back to Black's release.
    you mean you weren't. Get the fuck over yourself.

You're taking my words out of context. I didn't say everything Timbaland does sucks, I was making a point that just because a certain individual becomes a popular producer doesn't make everything he produces gold. You're the one incorrectly insinuating that I meant everything Timbaland does sucks.
    You're a piss poor logician and that's a horrible attempt to turn that around.
    Without me ever claiming that him working with timbaland made him automatically talented, you preemptively chose to claim that it did not. All I ever said was it's foolish to think that so many members of the music industry would seek out collaboration with someone who "only does covers". Besides, we all know you've got a holier than thou stick up your ass about pop music (as evidenced by your ignorance as to its definition)

As for the LONG list of people Mark Ronson's produced for? Christina Aguilera, Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen, Robbie Williams, Rhymefest. Two of whom are from the same White British Motown revival scene and Christina's "return to roots" album "Back to Basics". Completely fucking versatile, yep.
    So working with the Dap Kings and Lily Allen are the same to you? Why didn't your amateur googling didn't turn up Jay-Z, Ol Dirty Bastard, and Ghostface?
    He's also done production work behind the scenes for many others. And you also conveniently left out his original work.

You live in the tiniest fucking bubble I've ever seen. You better milk academia before it tosses you out on your ass.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 03-17-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Most people? That's a funny term.

Now, if most people like crap like Mark Ronson, Calvin Harris, Nickelback, Miley Cyrus and Hinder, more power to them... Don't care if they want to listen to shitty music unless it interferes with my life.

Look at you comparing mark ronson to miley cyrus.
    When I say most people I'm confining it to this board, but it applies more broadly too.

Your indictment of Miley Cyrus is actually a feather in her cap as far as I'm concerned.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

PF,
    Tom Cruise? Why are you talking about Tom Cruise? He's a weirdo, but he's damn good in Born on the Fourth of July; but I think you might be too young to be familiar with that film.

You're focusing on the fact that Mark Ronson has built a name and a reputation by working with other people, which speaks virtually nothing of his actual abilities. Frank Sinatra was a cover artist, and he's a fucking legend. Instead of listening to the words that belong to someone else, try listening to the production and the music. Ronson is a turntable version of Phil Spector; another "nut-job" who happens to be a musical genius.

It's like saying Tom Cruise is a legitimate actor, when he's going to be remembered as a Grade A, certifiable nutcase.
    See this sums up your fucking problem very nicely.
    Yes, Tom Cruise is a nutcase. But to say that he's not a legitimate actor is beyond fucking retardery. To claim that the biggest actor in the world has simply pulled the wool over everyone else's eyes but yours is the most arrogant bullshit I've ever heard. You are by far the most pathetic hipster this board has ever seen. You are such a pompous twit that you can't separate what you think is trendy opinion from common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    you mean you weren't. Get the fuck over yourself.
    Please, I've heard of no mention of Mark Ronson before Back to Black nor before the announcement of his Coachella performance. The latter doesn't automatically write off artists in my book, hell this year I've discovered a LOT in my searches (MGMT, Jens Lekman, Vampire Weekend, Boys Noize, etc.), but his name wasn't tossed around like the Timbalands and Dr. Dres of the world. Far from it.

You're a piss poor logician and that's a horrible attempt to turn that around.
    Without me ever claiming that him working with timbaland made him automatically talented, you preemptively chose to claim that it did not. All I ever said was it's foolish to think that so many members of the music industry would seek out collaboration with someone who "only does covers".
    You were still talking about Timbaland in the ORIGINAL context of the quote:

Timbaland wants to work with talented people just the same as anybody else. Do you really honestly believe that so many artists want to work with somebody who's so talentless?
    Implies that Timbaland is talentless, jackass.

Besides, we all know you've got a holier than thou stick up your ass about pop music (as evidenced by your ignorance as to its definition)
    Please... If that was the case I would be like "FUCK VAMPIRE WEEKEND AND ALL THE HYPE THOSE LUCKY HIPSTER BASTARDS ARE GETTING ON MTV" and "FUCK SPOON FOR WRITING WITTY YET SIMPLE POP SONGS"... Go fuck yourself.

So working with the Dap Kings and Lily Allen are the same to you? Why didn't your amateur googling didn't turn up Jay-Z, Ol Dirty Bastard, and Ghostface?
    He's also done production work behind the scenes for many others. And you also conveniently left out his original work.
    I named people he had produced FOR. Is Jay-Z one of those guys he had "done production work behind the scenes" for? ODB too? Or are you just going to keep on pulling names out of your ass?
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    PF,
    Tom Cruise? Why are you talking about Tom Cruise? He's a weirdo, but he's damn good in Born on the Fourth of July; but I think you might be too young to be familiar with that film.

You're focusing on the fact that Mark Ronson has built a name and a reputation by working with other people, which speaks virtually nothing of his actual abilities. Frank Sinatra was a cover artist, and he's a fucking legend. Instead of listening to the words that belong to someone else, try listening to the production and the music. Ronson is a turntable version of Phil Spector; another "nut-job" who happens to be a musical genius.
    You can't make the Sinatra/Ronson comparison because Ronson doesn't fucking sing anything off the covers record. His solo record, the new one, the one he's promoting and will be playing songs off of at Coachella, sounds like nothing but throwaway tracks from the Back to Black sessions.

I actually like Amy Winehouse, and I like Lily Allen. I'm seeing Sharon Jones at Coachella this year. Still, none of that takes away from the fact that, as a solo artist, Mark Ronson is terrible.
    Upcoming Shows:

He makes the music. And he makes it sound good. The lyrics might very well be secondary to the music he is making sound good. But your mind is made.

Winehouse and Allen are terrible, the music is the only element I find interesting. Sharon Jones is cool, though, she's been around. That lady can really sing. Very few on this board knew who she was 6 months ago. Definitely check out her set.

Please, I've heard of no mention of Mark Ronson before Back to Black nor before the announcement of his Coachella performance. The latter doesn't automatically write off artists in my book, hell this year I've discovered a LOT in my searches (MGMT, Jens Lekman, Vampire Weekend, Boys Noize, etc.), but his name wasn't tossed around like the Timbalands and Dr. Dres of the world. Far from it.
    Mark Ronson has been a relatively big noise in indie hip hop since the turn of the fucking century. The only reason you don't claim to know this about him is your googling didn't take you back that far.

You were still talking about Timbaland in the ORIGINAL context of the quote:

Implies that Timbaland is talentless, jackass.
    ya. there's such a fucked attempt at an argument in there it makes my head hurt to even try to figure out how your head works.

Please... If that was the case I would be like "FUCK VAMPIRE WEEKEND AND ALL THE HYPE THOSE LUCKY HIPSTER BASTARDS ARE GETTING ON MTV" and "FUCK SPOON FOR WRITING WITTY YET SIMPLE POP SONGS"... Go fuck yourself.
    once again the passive theory school of argument rears it's obnoxious head. You love bringing up one named example of something in an attempt to refute a broad (and evidenced) accusation. So you're not harping on vampire weekend. Big fucking whoop.

I named people he had produced FOR. Is Jay-Z one of those guys he had "done production work behind the scenes" for? ODB too? Or are you just going to keep on pulling names out of your ass?
    Semantics, douche. Again, your google school of knowledge fails you. I've been following indie hip hop much longer than you have (if you ever have).
    You're a fucking know nothing ignorant douche if you really believe nobody talked about him before back to black. Here Comes The Fuzz was up on the top shelf at Rasputin and Amoeba and thousands of other record stores back in 2002. I was there I saw it, back when you were still begging for allowance to buy your green day albums. He was even talked about before then. He was one of the noises in indie hip hop before names like Jurassic 5 and RJD2 got huge.

And it doesn't matter if it's "...ft Mark Ronson" or "Mark Ronson ft.." it's all collaboration. And again, he does a lot of work you don't know about.

You fucking napster generation dipshits don't have a clue.

once again the passive theory school of argument rears it's obnoxious head. You love bringing up one named example of something in an attempt to refute a broad (and evidenced) accusation. So you're not harping on vampire weekend. Big fucking whoop.
    Do you want me to run off a whole list of pop acts I like? Do you? No. I didn't think so. The fact is that people have been bitching about Vampire Weekend on here for ages now, mainly because of the hype. I'm bitching about Mark Ronson not because of the hype, but because his solo record sucks.

Mark Ronson may have been a big name in the indie hip-hop scene back at the turn of the century, but he's now become a one-trick pony. "Hey, if all of these chicks can get big and receive critical acclaim off of the back of motown-esque production, so can I! With an album of half-assed covers too! Yeah! That'll work!"
    Upcoming Shows:

Do you want me to run off a whole list of pop acts I like? Do you? No. I didn't think so.
    no actually I do. Go ahead.

if you can.

You don't get it. You've waxed quasi-ironic anti-trendy on this board so long you can't refute it with "hey I didn't say shit about who'sa whatsisname"

Mark Ronson may have been a big name in the indie hip-hop scene back at the turn of the century, but he's now become a one-trick pony. "Hey, if all of these chicks can get big and receive critical acclaim off of the back of motown-esque production, so can I! With an album of half-assed covers too! Yeah! That'll work!"
    you talk about his solo album as if you truly can't understand why your opinion isn't fact.

And as far as his motown-esque winehouse productions, jesus christ he was hired to job, which he did. What the fuck did you want him to do? Produce hyphy tracks for Amy Winehouse?
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 03-17-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Here goes:
    Maroon 5
    Arctic Monkeys
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Feist
    Beck
    Coldplay
    Franz Ferdinand
    The Killers
    Gnarls Barkley
    Mika
    No Doubt
    Panic at the Disco
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Rilo Kiley
    Upcoming Shows:

nope. sorry.
    I doubt 4/5 people in the general public would know who Rilo Kiley or Panic at the Disco or Arctic Monkeys are so therefore they fail your pop test.

...*blinks* Not know Panic At the Disco?... I thought the hate they incurred was because of their popularity... And Brendon Urie's voice... And their fanbase...

You must be living among a completely different public, Jack.
    Upcoming Shows:

...*blinks* Not know Panic At the Disco?... I thought the hate they incurred was because of their popularity... And Brendon Urie's voice... And their fanbase...

You must be living among a completely different public, Jack.

Don't you go to UC santa cruz? And you're accusing me of knowing less about the public?

We are talking about a band that won the MTV Music Award for Best Music Video... And has appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone... And a couple other eyeliner emo magazines...
    Upcoming Shows:

dude nobody gives a fuck about MTV anymore. They ditched all attempts to monopolize mass appeal when the download generation hit. Now they're a schizophrenic mess of varying Wyclef progeny and Laguna Beach/Hills.

Everyone's in a bubble in college. Luckily mine hit during the rise of backstreet boys and britney spears.
    When and if you ever have to take a train everyday and work in a big building you'll quickly realize most people have little time for music.

And we're talking about the general public. Even in MTV's heyday you probably find half the people on the street didn't know who Ratt or fucking Bullet Boys etc. were even though all young people did.

Life's pretty big.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 03-17-2008 at 11:11 PM.

dude nobody gives a fuck about MTV anymore. They ditched all attempts to monopolize mass appeal when the download generation hit. Now they're a schizophrenic mess of varying Wyclef progeny and Laguna Beach/Hills.

Everyone's in a bubble in college. Luckily mine hit during the rise of backstreet boys and britney spears.
    When and if you ever have to take a train to everyday and work in a big building you'll quickly realize most people have little time for music.

And we're talking about the general public. Even in MTV's heyday you probably probably find half the people on the street didn't know who Ratt or fucking Bullet Boys etc. were even though all young people did.

Life's pretty big.
    True.

While the media may want to give off the impression that people still love MTV, it's far from the real thing...

I gotta say, someone saying Panic isn't pop music is such a shock that I havent quite gotten over that...
    Upcoming Shows:

True.

While the media may want to give off the impression that people still love MTV, it's far from the real thing...

I gotta say, someone saying Panic isn't pop music is such a shock that I havent quite gotten over that...
    I really don't like you. When you're nuts drop then start posting until then stfu
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Because people not liking me has made me stop posting in the past. lol
    Upcoming Shows:

I only know him through his production of Amy Winehouse's BACK TO BLACK album...

Oooooooooh Weeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Its alright to show the late greats love But some of y’all is riding dicks and don’t know it like a date rape drug

Wow, this exploded overnight.

Jackstraw, I'm going to check up on Mark Ronson some more. Anyone who has the patience to argue with PT so long is a good person who's judgment I trust.

no fuck that. mark ronson blows.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

this argument is great press for mark ronson.