Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early Birds - Who Were Your Favorite Pre 3pm performers of the 2013 Festival

Default Early Birds - Who Were Your Favorite Pre 3pm performers of the 2013 Festival

Here's mine.

1. Vintage Trouble - simply put, probably the best before 3 set I've seen in 6 years I've attended...there's been other knockout retro soul sets in recent years, especially Black Joe Lewis in 2011 and Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in 2008...but I think this might have been even better. Felt like watching James Brown backed by Led Zeppelin.

2. Reignwolf - Virtuoso one man 70s flavored Metal Act out of Canada, fine singer, better guitarist. Very lively 1/2 hour set.

3. Beardyman - The ultimate festival novelty act. Some of his humor was cheap and easy, but a hugely entertaining set nonetheless. Should play every year.

4. Ghost B.C. - Band members with no names in Death Robes and a Skull Faced lead singer speaking between songs to the crowd in Latin, best laugh I had all festival. Doubt that's the reaction the band was looking for, but enjoyed this old school Euro-metal act nonetheless.

5. Savages - righteous Female Fury.

6. Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra - Fun, but a little of this went a long ways

7. The Colourists - Playing on no sleep, this young band delivered the most charming indie pop set of the weekend.

8. Little Green Cars - Early day Indie-pop runners up.

9. Wild Nothing - Dream Pop's always a snooze live, but this band was far less snoozy than your average Radio Dept/Real Estate Fare and sounded quite good.

10. Kids These Days - interesting Chicago act trying to ply the multi-racial multi gender all-inclusive upbeat early Sly And The Family Stone vibe to rap.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Default Re: Early Birds - Who Were Your Favorite Pre 3pm performers of the 2013 Festival

C2C!

Default Re: Early Birds - Who Were Your Favorite Pre 3pm performers of the 2013 Festival

Skinny Lister
    Tokyo Spa
    Reignwolf
    Cloud Nothings
    The Three O'Clock

(all bands of merit but in chronological order, not ranked)
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Really enjoyed both Ghost BC and Lord Huron. Heard a snippet of C2C on the way to the beer gardens and it caught my attention. It was almost enough to make me stop and catch the set, but alas, beer was calling.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

IO Echo and Youth Lagoon
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Beardyman on the Outdoor was so much fucking fun. And C2C was pretty phenomenal as well. It was a perfect 1-2 punch to start off the weekend.

So glad my group this year was smaller. Getting there in the morning was so much easier
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Skinny Lister!
    Cloud Nothings
    White Arrows
    Youth Lagoon. I loved the music but it was a boring performance
    Arcade Fire 10/29 @ The Capital Building
    Arcade Fire 10/31 @ The Palladium
    Two Door Cinema Club 11/1 @ The Fox
    Father John Misty 11/2 @ The Wiltern
    Day of the Dead 11/2&3 @ LA Historic Park
    The Head and the Heart 12/7 @ The Wiltern
    Volcano Choir 1/18 @ The Fonda

Ghost B.C & Trash Talk were great early sets.

Yes to beardyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    Beardyman on the Outdoor was so much fucking fun. And C2C was pretty phenomenal as well. It was a perfect 1-2 punch to start off the weekend.

So glad my group this year was smaller. Getting there in the morning was so much easier
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ENluv12 View Post
    Yes to beardyman
    Him playing the Outdoor at the time he did was seriously perfect. Small, but awesome audience
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!

Ghost B.C., that was really it though

Ghost BC, Colourists, IO Echo, Youth Lagoon, Cloud Nothings

Action Bronson
    The Three O'Clock
    Trash Talk
    Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Ghost and Lord Huron were both great.

no one saw birdy nam nam? i loved their set!

the wombats

missed all the ones i wanted to see (ghost, thee oh sees, reignwolf, the wombats, etc.) partly because i drank shots and got so baked i couldnt move my arms sunday morning. i dont know what was in that burning man shit our neighbors had. but i didnt get in til like 5

should be catching lord huron open for alt j here this fall, and a lot of the coachella misses for me are on ACL. so there's that.

Io Echo. Didn't make it early enough the other days
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

IO Echo
    White Arrows
    Cloud Nothings
    Youth Lagoon
    Diiv

The Three O'Clcok were my favorite early act.
    Dam-Funk was probably my second favorite, bringing Ariel Pink out was unexpected and kinda wierd though.

Beardyman was good, but we saw him under extemely favorable circumstances in 2011 in the dome and it just wasnt as special this time. More of a comedy set than last time.

Skinny Lister was pretty good, crowd surfing with a standup bass!?
    IO Echo sounded a little off to me, we were not in a great spot for sound though so....
    C2C was really fun for me and I was looking forward to Birdy Nam Nam as well, but they weren't as good as there albums are for me. Recipe for Success!
    Reignwolf was entertaining.
    The Wombats were surprisingly entertaining, I dismissed them in my pre-Coachella research after listening to a couple songs, but I was drug there by a friend and had a really good time.

Skinny Lister/Tokyo Orchestra was the best one/two opening punch of the fest.

C2C, Ghost, Wild Belle, Dam Funk

was kind of sad I didn't get to see Dam Funk due to Beardyman. How did he do on the Main?

tokyo ska and dam-funk

was kind of sad I didn't get to see Dam Funk due to Beardyman. How did he do on the Main?
    He was awesome on the outdoor. Birdy nam nam was also a ton of fun.
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2014 Coachella FF Team = White Welkers

Skinny lister
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

1. The Wombats
    2. C2C
    3. Skinny Lister
    4. DIIV
    5. Mona
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

The Shouting Matches
    Little Green Cars

Lord Huron
    Wombats
    Wild Nothing
    The Three O' Clock
    Cloud Nothings

Saw Beardyman 1st weekend and Dam-Funk 2nd. I liked Dam-Funks set more THIS time. As I said before, if you get a chance to see a real, nighttime Beardyman dance set then take it. In the Pure Filth Dome in 2011 he was amazing, but didn't really talk much. Just lots of looping of the crazy stuff he can do with his voice, using flutes and other accessories. Amazing.