Thread: Too Much Electronic!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Too Much Electronic!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am fully prepared for me to get ridiculed to no end by this comment but here it is anyway. coachella has too much electronic music this year! there i said it, it feels good to get it off my chest. some is good, and i know that it is what sets coachella apart from all the rest, but this year is swimming in it. coachella is known for good rap and rock as well. the rock is here this year albeit not as much, but the rap is almost non existence. im sorry for all of you whom i offended, but seems that coachella is turning in to an electronic driven festival.

BRING ON THE FAILS PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the reaper."
    -The Grim Reaper

Default Re: Too Much Electronic!!!!!!!!!!!!

love it or leave it
    Last edited by Failed State; 03-13-2008 at 10:10 AM.
    "You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the reaper."
    -The Grim Reaper

Hooray for electronic music.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

To much of nothing is just as tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by PersonalJesus28 View Post
    Paul Tollett do something!
    Daddy P! Help

Quote Originally Posted by Failed State View Post
    love it or leave it
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

I think there are just many bands who are catching up to technology. Bass/drums/guitar/vox will always be the norm, but you have many acts like Holy Fuck, that incorporate a rhythm section into their electronic madness, or Battles, that warp their melodies with modern technology. Shit, who else, Animal Collective, Portishead, Mum, Pendulum, Yoav. I'm sure there's more. Electronic music is the future of all genres. Gotta get with the times!
    I love music, and I hate vowels.

thank you mother............................................ ........................

dont post that picture or you will be banned
    -The Grim Reaper

[QUOTE=Failed State;504787]thank you mother............................................ ........................

BANNED

Coachella needs more rap. And thread titles need more exclamation points. And you need to kill yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Just look at 1999 and see the ratio of electronic groups. It was much higher earlier on.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Coachella needs more rap. And thread titles need more exclamation points. And you need to kill yourself.
    please let me know how bad rage sucked! you are a fucking child molester, i hope you rot in hell pedophile,
    -The Grim Reaper

... Now I wouldn't put it past Randy to be a rapist, being a child molester is just stretching it a bit...
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Ive never seen such instant hate on this board as failed state has brought on

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

can you back that up?
    -The Grim Reaper

I'm pretty cool with a lot of the electronic acts, despite never having been into "rave" culture. Rap confuses and upsets me almost exclusively, though I'm still open minded (Saul Williams and MIA are both good).

While I like the diversity of acts Coachella puts on, they have definitely strayed from my rock and roll comfort zone this year. The headliners are still rock acts (even, technically, he-who-shant-be-named) so I'm okay with it. Faith in GV!

lowfront

Never enough electronic

Quote Originally Posted by msklvr View Post
    Shit, who else, Animal Collective, Portishead, Mum, Pendulum, Yoav. I'm sure there's more. Electronic music is the future of all genres. Gotta get with the times!
    You picked some of the most diverse acts of the lineup. You're right about electronic music being the future, but Failed State does have a point. If you really break it down, you've got all those you mentioned plus:

Justice-Kraftwerk-Aphex Twin-Goldfrapp-Chromeo-Fatboy Slim-Sasha & Digweed-Hot Chip-Above & Beyond-Danny Tenaglia-Booka Shade-Simian Mobile Disco-Mark Ronson-Dimitri From Paris-The Field-Midnight Juggernauts-Does It Offend You, Yeah?-Calvin Harris-Boys Noize-Busy P-Cut Copy-Diplo-Junkie XL-Adam Freeland-Kid Sister/A-Trak-The Teenagers-Deadmau5-Dan Deacon-Erol Alkan-Sandra Collins-Surkin-Para One-Orgasmic-Curses-James Zabiela-Sebastian-Kavinsky-Modeselektor-120 Days-Yelle-Uffie/DJ Mehdi.

You're looking at about 45-50 "electronic" acts. Friday & Sunday don't even even have 45-50 acts scheduled. Also, MANY of them sound alike (Justice, SMD, Boys Noize, Does It Offend You, Surkin, Para One, Sebastian, Kavinsky, etc.)

On the bright side, That is approximately a third of the entire festival's lineup. That's a pretty fair ratio, considering it is a 3-day endeavor, also taking into consideration that they are all spread out. I guess the biggest point of contention would be this:

For a festival that champions so many different genres of music, giving a full third of it to any one is a bit much.

Rock, post-rock, reggae, hip-hop, etc. are all rather under-represented in comparison.

Ultimately though, again, the fact that electronic music is the future is absolutely indisputable. Luckily, bands are finding innovative ways to incorporate technology into their music all the time, and it no longer all sounds alike. It's only a matter of time before upwards of 50% of any given festival lineup contains music dubbed as "electronic". Do we want Coachella to be a staunch and pretentious holdout, or look to the future with fresh eyes and ears?

I think we're discussing electronica as a style, not as a choice of instrumentation. For example, I'd consider Radiohead (and probably even Portishead) as a rock act despite using electronic instruments.

In this sense, electronic music is NOT the future of music - but electronic instruments are.

Let's not forget - the electric guitar is an electronic instrument too!

im glad someone isnt out to get me on this board
    -The Grim Reaper

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    I think we're discussing electronica as a style, not as a choice of instrumentation. For example, I'd consider Radiohead (and probably even Portishead) as a rock act despite using electronic instruments.

radiohead is, but portishead isnt.
    -The Grim Reaper

Quote Originally Posted by Failed State View Post
    radiohead is, but portishead isnt.
    You're an idiot Portishead uses just as many electronic sounds actually probably more than Radiohead

Wait, what pic = bannage?

PM me, obviously
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

radiohead= more rock than protishead!!!!!!!!!! this board sucks, you guys are mean!
    -The Grim Reaper

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post

In this sense, electronic music is NOT the future of music - but electronic instruments are.

I see what you mean, and I agree to an extent. Look a little closer at the acts I mentioned above though. Those genres of electronic music are proliferating, with no signs of slowing down anytime soon. The fact that technology now affords artists to compose entire works without ever touching an instrument is what is causing this sea change. The potential of these genres could never be fully realized until fairly recently, and now people are having a grand ol party (no pun intended) with them.

I think the genres AND the instruments are the future.

if you cant take the heat....

also someone mentioned there are 40 to 50 electronic acts...that still leaves 70 non electronic so whats the complaint?

2013 = 12 Coachellas

I don't mind Eletronica mixed in with rock other genres. But to me, and i know i am in the minority on the board, EDM is boring. If i am at a club or something fine it can fun to dance to, but so is some crappy rap. I really miss the lyrics when comes to EDM, i know there are a few artists that have singers and such, they are the ones i tend to give more of a chance to. There is a little difference between live DJ sets for me too. DJ sets, especially ones where the DJ just stands at his laptop are boring. Again i know there are exceptions but i prefer actual bands with real insturments. Look at the Roots awsome mashup last year done with a live band. I know you guys don't agree with me but it just my thoughts on EDM.
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

Just takes the right ear to be honest...you start to hear the differences...to me I can tell the differences in djs as though you were holding up the temptations to led zeppelin.

I hate crappy rap and usually unless im really faded refuse to dance to it...I really hate dancing to sub par EDM as well, you get an acuired taste for higher quality music as you get more and more into it. I have no problem with rock bands I play guitar and absolutely love going to rock shows...probably see many more bands than djs but I also love spinning records. You get addicted to feel of the records. What can I say?

2013 = 12 Coachellas

Sci-Fi

Not enough Drum&bass!

I DO agree that there is a tad too much electronic, but no complaints
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

there can never be too much electro...
    e