Page 997 of 1029 FirstFirst ... 992993994995996997998999100010011002 ... LastLast
Results 29,881 to 29,910 of 30846

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Live discussion panel with the President of Criterion going on now

http://wexarts.org/live

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

While sitting in the theater for 12 A Year Slave, a preview for Dallas Buyer's Club came on, and looked more interesting than the movie we were about to watch... so we switched over and watched it. Great film. Matthew McConajdfhaye totally nailed the skinny AIDS infected Ron Woodroof and totally steals the show. Love that guy. Took me about half way through to recognize Jared Leto as he was fantastically queened up, and Bradford Cox of Deerhunter as his boyfriend. Tiny role- maybe said two lines, but still. If you're weird about needles, blood, and hospitals, don't see it- but if you want to see Matthew McConajfehfbhey woo you with homophobic cussing, get a ticket now.

cool background music

Nice fellatio shot thrown into that trailer lol

Upcoming shows
    Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events

Charlotte Gainsbourg appears to be beaten up in half the movie, bruises, blood, etc. HAWT.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Removed for nudity...

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/7 Ought @ Eagle Rock Center For The Arts
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Not sure why ‘La Femme du Veme’, with Ethan Hawke, got ripped a nouveau trou du cul on IMDb. Enjoyed everything about it really. Set locations from the French Arab café life to the flicking light bunker workplace on through the stone streets of Gay Pari. And contrasts between the main characters with a brooding mentally ill, young flower optimist romantic, and the seen-it-all/know-it-all alluring confidant*. There’s mystery and thought provoking twists with just the odd dab of humour sprinkled in (exp: someone doesn’t flush the shared floor toilet causing a tenant to seek out landlord assistance, which is declined or when a girl is droning on about the pains of being an artiste and Hawke interrupts her with an “excusez-moi” and leaves mid-conversation). Recommended.

*Europe gets these kind of sophistiquer, we get The Real HoWives of … and Yoga mats.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

I'm like an hour into the most recent Superman and HOLY SHIT. This is unbelievably horrible. Did anyone like this shit? For some reason I recall the reviews being pretty good. This is fucking terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Just wait until building-punch-mageddon
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I watched Leviathan this weekend, and I feel between that film, The Act of Killing, Room 237, and Nostalgia for the Light, some of the best documentaries I've ever seen have come out in the last several years.

Meanwhile, Blue Is the Warmest Color is an almost shockingly intimate (and no, I'm not just talking about that scene - although it is impressively graphic) portrayal of first love gained and lost. The symbolism is sometimes heavy-handed and the visual language can be unimaginative, but the experience is a rich (and grueling) one.
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Anyone catch one of those "Wolf of Wall Street" screenings in LA yesterday?

Holy shit...Really funny and very entertaining. At 3 hours it could certainly use some trimming but it's a hell of a ride.
    Easily the hardest "R" film I've ever seen, beyond belief the level of debauchery Scorsese got away with filming. DiCaprio
    and Quaaludes....out of this world.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    I watched Leviathan this weekend, and I feel between that film, The Act of Killing, Room 237, and Nostalgia for the Light, some of the best documentaries I've ever seen have come out in the last several years.

Meanwhile, Blue Is the Warmest Color is an almost shockingly intimate (and no, I'm not just talking about that scene - although it is impressively graphic) portrayal of first love gained and lost. The symbolism is sometimes heavy-handed and the visual language can be unimaginative, but the experience is a rich (and grueling) one.
    I agree with all of this except that I haven't seen Room 237 yet. Blue Is the Warmest Color succeeds in spite of its director for the most part, or at least his visual design. The complaints about male gaze aren't necessarily substantiated by the film itself, but when Kechiche seems to bring so little to the material other than INTIMATE FOCUS, it does seem fair to ask what motivated this 50 year old guy to train his uncomfortable intensity on a young girl's sexual blossoming.

All fans of Leviathan should also seek out Manakamana when Cinema Guild eventually releases it.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    Anyone catch one of those "Wolf of Wall Street" screenings in LA yesterday?

Holy shit...Really funny and very entertaining. At 3 hours it could certainly use some trimming but it's a hell of a ride.
    Easily the hardest "R" film I've ever seen, beyond belief the level of debauchery Scorsese got away with filming. DiCaprio
    and Quaaludes....out of this world.
    I don't see this one for another couple weeks. American Hustle next week. Still need to catch up with 12 Years a Slave, but I'm banking on it being in theaters for a while as the Oscar campaign matures.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I thought Room 237 was terrible. A bunch of unsubstantiated bullshit that didn't add up to anything. I can't wait to watch The Act of Killing, though.
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex
    10/13 - Oren Ambarchi - Jewels Catch One

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

And I won't make Schoolio angry by typing it all out, but if you're interested the New York Film Critics' Circle had their 2013 awards earlier today and the winners are here.
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I thought Room 237 was terrible. A bunch of unsubstantiated bullshit that didn't add up to anything.
    Some of the analyses were definitely better than others. The main thing I didn't care for was using shots from all of the other Kubrick movies as on-the-nose b-roll for whatever that particular narrator was describing. Oh, Kubrick was upset during this segment of production? Let's cut to Malcolm McDowell foaming at the mouth in Clockwork Orange, that illustrates it perfectly.

Now You See Me is not only the worst film of 2013 (and there have been some real clunkers this year), but is also the most completely incompetent and laughably trite piece of shit since Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Holy fucking shit how did that ever get the green light in the first place?
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I recently saw Dallas Buyers Club and thought it was fantastic. McConaughey was stellar... he's had some really good performances as of late and at this point I'd watch any movie Jared Leto decides to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    if he is scared of your noodle you may not get in with it.

Nymphomaniac: Part 1
    VOD: 3/6/14
    Theaters: 3/21/14

Nymphomaniac: Part 2
    VOD: 4/3/14
    Theaters: 4/18/14

A bunch of unsubstantiated bullshit that didn't add up to anything.
    I sort of thought that was a point. An analysis of a movie about a man going insane by people clearly already there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

FUCK YEAH MOTHERFUCKERS
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Edited 4 hour version or the full thing? I thought it was supposed to all come out in one theater experience but cut down to 4 hours...

Upcoming shows
    Events

I haven't seen that specified yet. But yeah, if they're breaking it into halves already, it seems like there's no reason not to release two 2.5 hour versions.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    Edited 4 hour version or the full thing? I thought it was supposed to all come out in one theater experience but cut down to 4 hours...
    Everything I had read about the edit was that it would be released as 2 2-hour parts.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Most of you should make the effort to see Jem Cohen's Museum Hours. It's very slow (some might say meandering) and subtle (some might say boring), but it's a genuinely beautiful film, emotionally and intellectually - a near-perfect study of solitude that combines Cohen's unintrusive, observational technique with a much richer characterization than, say, Chain.
    This was really good.
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Carlos Reygadas' masterful Post Tenebras Lux is up on Netflix Instant.
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Im not sure if i completely missed the boat on You Can Count On Me. It's great. It's really really good. If anyone knows where i can find the extended version of Margaret I would be eternally grateful.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanp View Post
    Im not sure if i completely missed the boat on You Can Count On Me. It's great. It's really really good. If anyone knows where i can find the extended version of Margaret I would be eternally grateful.
    I'm pretty sure the only physical release is a combo BD/DVD, with the extended cut included on the DVD.

Yeah I know omg fighting robots vs. sea monsters or whatever but Pacific Rim is the closest thing to an objectively shitty movie that we've had so far this year.
    Watch it dubbed in french

10/12 - IAMX - Complex

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare