Page 993 of 1027 FirstFirst ... 988989990991992993994995996997998 ... LastLast
Results 29,761 to 29,790 of 30801

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Gravity is the biggest bummer of the year for me. I will never understand why Alfonso Cuaron would devote so much time and so many resources to learning how to depict the physical reality of space travel, and then employ his findings to a simplistic, woman-against-the-elements survival story that refuses to engage with space in any way that isn't "it's gorgeous" or "it wants to kill you". I don't need it to be 2001 - with which Gravity has no more common ground than what's shared between Blow-Up and Spice World - but if I'm stuck inside a person's space suit for 90 minutes, there simply has to be more depth to the characterization than what is offered here. And it has to be suggested, at least some of the time, rather than explicitly stated - which, for fuck's sake, shouldn't be possible in a film with so few characters.

And yet....while it's very easy for me to get carried away with how unsatisfied Gravity ultimately left me, it would be disingenuous to say that the film shouldn't be seen. It MUST be seen, and on the biggest, most three-dimensional canvas available to you, for even thoughtless, insubstantial time spent in space is still time spent in space. And from a purely technical standpoint, this film does it as well as almost anyone since Kubrick. It's just crucial to know that the comparison ends there.
    If your biggest complaint was that the characters had no depth then I think 2001 is a splendid comparison. The human characters in 2001 were about as sterile and one-dimensional as it gets and I'd say it's a safe assumption that both Kubrick and Cuaron had other priorities. For a big-budget studio movie Gravity has an embarrassment of riches. If you found it to be the biggest disappointment of the year maybe you're being too goddamn greedy.

It's a cop out to express a personal distaste for something but to still recommend it to others, because presuming that others might like something even though you didn't like a certain aspect of that something is an unacceptable stance to take.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Cara, how do you feel about the movie Cop Out?
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

more like Cara likes Cop in , amrite or what
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Gravity is not a terrible movie, it's just not the movie you thought it would be.
    This.

Over the years I've learned that it's best to not go into something with preconceived notions whenever possible. If the character in Gravity were thin, the narrative basic - all of that Cuaron obviously did on purpose. I have several friends that constantly go to concerts with the whole if the band doesn't play x, y, z songs it's not going to be a good show. More often than not you're going to be disappointed with that kind of approach.

That's a terrible example actually, haha. But you see what I'm getting at. Instead of going into something with an idea of how it should be, that you ultimately compare it to, go into it with attention to what the artist is getting at, and go from there.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

It is amazing how so many people can look at a movie with 2 people on the screen for 90 mins (30 mins for one of them), and claim you don't need to care about the characters to enjoy the fim. What else is are you supposed to like? The beautiful view? Go watch Hubble Imax 3D if that's all you jerkoffs want in a space film.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Oh great, TomServo and TallGuy agree. Nothing about this conversation is going to be horrible.
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Let's just say that Cara wins the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It is amazing how so many people can look at a movie with 2 people on the screen for 90 mins (30 mins for one of them), and claim you don't need to care about the characters to enjoy the fim. What else is are you supposed to like? The beautiful view? Go watch Hubble Imax 3D if that's all you jerkoffs want in a space film.
    Fucking bingo. That's precisely the level that Gravity works on. I loved those nine minutes of Hubble 3D, but I don't want someone to multiply it by ten and then hear that it's the film of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    This.

Over the years I've learned that it's best to not go into something with preconceived notions whenever possible. If the character in Gravity were thin, the narrative basic - all of that Cuaron obviously did on purpose. I have several friends that constantly go to concerts with the whole if the band doesn't play x, y, z songs it's not going to be a good show. More often than not you're going to be disappointed with that kind of approach.

That's a terrible example actually, haha. But you see what I'm getting at. Instead of going into something with an idea of how it should be, that you ultimately compare it to, go into it with
    attention to what the artist is getting at, and go from there.
    I agree with this in principle; it's been the basis of several arguments I've had, here and elsewhere. But maybe I'm not harping on this loudly enough - I BELIEVE GRAVITY DOES NOT EXECUTE ITS CHOSEN NARRATIVE WELL. Think about Clooney's ultimate contribution to the story - it's a simply awful storytelling stroke, and the film depends on it full-stop.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    If your biggest complaint was that the characters had no depth then I think 2001 is a splendid comparison. The human characters in 2001 were about as sterile and one-dimensional as it gets and I'd say it's a safe assumption that both Kubrick and Cuaron had other priorities. For a big-budget studio movie Gravity has an embarrassment of riches. If you found it to be the biggest disappointment of the year maybe you're being too goddamn greedy.
    The latter point is entirely possible, but Kubrick didn't make a film that centers entirely on one character's "journey", so you'll have to forgive me for not holding his movie to the same standard of character work. If only Cuaron had shown even a fleeting interest in the mysteries of the universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

So today I watched The Goonies like I do almost every first rain of the season (I would say major rain but lets face it, any rain in so cal is major rain). I don' care what anyone else says that is the perfect rainy day movie.

After that ended was going through the movie channels and Dogma was on so I watched it. It's probably been about 10 years since I've seen it but holy shit I forgot how funny that movie is. So many great lines in it plus a lot of reflects my own personal beliefs. Plus I forgot Chris Rock was the apostle so that was a great surprise again. I don't know if it's Kevin Smiths best movie but fuck it's up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Gabe, I can't necessarily fault you for your feelings on Gravity, but I do find it curious that you can positively review a film like Somewhere (or any sparse, subtle art film) but then slam Gravity for its dearth of character development.
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

You guys are fixating too heavily on certain things I'm saying and ignoring others. I'm not slamming Gravity for its dearth of character development alone; I'm also objecting to its dearth of ideas, earned feelings, and telling stories without horrendous exposition.

Also, disagree that Somewhere or any [I]good[I] sparse, subtle art film lacks any of those things.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Sandra giving a five minute dialog to an imaginary dead drunk Clooney floating around in space to tell her stupid ugly dead kid hello was one of the worst things I have ever seen on film. Every second counts when you are a elementary teacher that has unlimited access to two space stations and the Hubble telescope. Getting back to earf is what should have been the main focus, not character development.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post
    Sandra giving a five minute dialog to an imaginary dead drunk Clooney floating around in space to tell her stupid ugly dead kid hello was one of the worst things I have ever seen on film. Every second counts when you are a elementary teacher that has unlimited access to two space stations and the Hubble telescope. Getting back to earf is what should have been the main focus, not character development.
    Uh... what? Bullock's character was an engineer who was re-tasking medical equipment for the Hubble.

I just watched Buffalo '66. Really good. Though I don't think I've ever wanted to punch someone in the face as much as Vincent Gallo.

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Somewhere is totally fucking dreadful.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Somewhere is totally fucking dreadful.
    Agreed.

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Saw Hope Floats 2 today. Overall I liked it a lot. Technically it was a marvel no doubt and a true cinematic experience. However, I did have problems connecting with it on an emotional level and had to feel that it is a tad over rated. Best space movie ever? No. For my money, I'd probably rank Danny Boyle's Sunshine higher.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    Though I don't think I've ever wanted to punch someone in the face as much as Vincent Gallo.
    A lot of people feel this way.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Uh... what? Bullock's character was an engineer who was re-tasking medical equipment for the Hubble.
    I wanted her to go out like Christa McAuliffe. I didn't give a fuck about her background or character development.
    Last edited by Tubesock Shakur; 10-12-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Gravity was amazing, especially IMAX. I liked both Clooney's and bullock's character. You really felt like you were in the movie.
    All you guys that are hating it just want something to bitch about it

I get where Schoolio is coming from on his disappointment for Gravity. Visually, it's incredible (I saw it in 3D). But I didn't feel very invested in Sandra Bullock's character - the dialogue didn't help either. I wasn't disappointed, though - totally worth the ticket price to see on the big screen. I'd give it a B+.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Saw Hope Floats 2 today. Overall I liked it a lot. Technically it was a marvel no doubt and a true cinematic experience. However, I did have problems connecting with it on an emotional level and had to feel that it is a tad over rated. Best space movie ever? No. For my money, I'd probably rank Danny Boyle's Sunshine higher.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by flaminggodlikecreature View Post
    Gravity was amazing, especially IMAX. I liked both Clooney's and bullock's character. You really felt like you were in the movie.
    All you guys that are hating it just want something to bitch about it
    That's the dumbest fucking logic of this conversation to date. I'm choosing to be monumentally disappointed with this film, and could easily alter my perception if not for my inherent thirst for complaining?

how dare you argue with the creator of "Gravity - The Thread"
    last.fm

Rush was fantastic, especially if you're a fan of F1's golden era

Gravity was the most beautiful disappointment of the year. Its as if they flushed the WCS within the first few minutes and accidentally jettisoned more logic than piss. Seeing it within earshot of a group of armchair planetarium managers who felt the same way was the only saving grace for my viewing experience
    Last edited by Grandma; 10-14-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Absolutely.
    Sorry, Sunshine is pretty terrible. There are many space movies that are better.
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    Sorry, Sunshine is pretty terrible. There are many space movies that are better.
    Don't confuse what I said to mean Sunshine is one of the best space movies ever made.

How did House of 1,000 Corpses get such shitty reviews? I thought it was a delightful little piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    We're not going to agree on this. Sunshine is 1/3 shitty, but the first two thirds of it are outstanding.

We're not going to agree on this. Sunshine is 1/3 shitty, but the first two thirds of it are outstanding.
    Sunshine is an excellent Danny Boyle movie, but being a Danny Boyle movie means he's going to use his Danny Boyle official set of circumstances that cause the lead dude to lose his shit and disconnect from his current reality. Knowing that going in to any Danny Boyle movie kind of helps to swallow what happens as the plot develops.

And I love me some Danny Boyle.

Well, I definitely agree with that but making 2/3 of a good movie doesn't usually cut it in my book. And that final third is particularly bad.