Page 989 of 1029 FirstFirst ... 984985986987988989990991992993994 ... LastLast
Results 29,641 to 29,670 of 30851

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Heads up - Terrence Malick's To the Wonder is now available on Netflix Instant.
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex
    10/13 - Oren Ambarchi - Jewels Catch One

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Thanks Chris, I missed it in theaters.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Heads up - Terrence Malick's To the Wonder is now available on Netflix Instant.
    Finally, Netflix has something I'll watch.

Do they still have Upstream Color? I am so behind.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    Do they still have Upstream Color? I am so behind.
    Yep. You've got a hell of a weekend in front of you should you choose to put those two on.
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Oooh, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

So I watched CBGB yesterday. It's not a great movie, but it doesn't aim to be. I expected it to be pretty much a straight cash-grab about '77 punk, but was pleased to find that it was actually a story mostly about Hilly Kristel and his drive to finally get a club that meant something to people and to find music that connected. The first third of the movie was the most enjoyable part, as it shows him as a destitute dreamer making his last attempts and hiring junkies, friends and toying with cops to make his operation work. They cast most of the bands really well, but I do wish they would have used some of the myriad solid live recordings from every single act to cover their performances rather than the studio performances. It's enjoyably gritty and confrontational at times, and while it would have been nice to have more of an ending (they cut pretty much with Hilly getting cash enough to keep the venue operating then the booking of the Police in '78,) it was enjoyable as a huge punk nerd. I loved the scenes with Legs McNeil and John Holstromm, and the dudes who play the Dead Boys do a great job. After Johnny Blitz gets stabbed, Cheetah Chrome tells Hilly, "Well, we could really use this to our benefit. I mean, we're punks, right?" and I laughed so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Trailer for Alexander Payne's Nebraska:

To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Are we confident that Alexander Payne can make a good movie again? I am intrigued by the buzz about Bruce Dern's performance though.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I have quite liked everything he's done. I didn't realize there were people who hated The Descendents and Sideways
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

I think most people in here disliked The Descendants. I, for one, enjoyed Sideways quite a bit.
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

I have quite liked everything he's done. I didn't realize there were people who hated The Descendents and Sideways
    I liked most of The Descendants but Clooney's tearful goodbye to his wife squandered most of my goodwill towards the film. Sideways is perfect, imo.

I only included both titles because it's disturbing to me that people would consider completely writing a director off because of one film.

I personally thought The Descendants was probably his weakest film to date, but I still really liked it.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    I liked most of The Descendants but Clooney's tearful goodbye to his wife squandered most of my goodwill towards the film. Sideways is perfect, imo.
    My feelings exactly. Also in The Descendants whenever they showed a close up of the wife was it done in a comical way on purpose because I always laughed when it happened.
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

I certainly haven't lost any esteem for Payne, but I think a lot of the disappointment (for lack of a better term) people seem to have these days stems from the seven-year absence between those two films as much as The Descendents being seen as slightly underwhelming.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 09-17-2013 at 08:43 PM.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

I liked both of those films. Neither were great, but they were both entertaining.

I wouldn't call it writing off Payne... it's more of a cautious withholding of excitement until proven wrong. It's a similar approach that many are now taking with David O. Russell and David Gordon Green (who has at least shown signs of shaking his several-film-long funk).

I will defend Your Highness until my grave. i looooved that movie.
    last.fm

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I only included both titles because it's disturbing to me that people would consider completely writing a director off because of one film.

I personally thought The Descendants was probably his weakest film to date, but I still really liked it.
    In my case, it's more that I think Sideways - which is great - is the outlier. Never was a fan of Election or About Schmidt, and yeah, I'm among those who thought The Descendants was crap. I'll see Nebraska, most likely - the B&W helps.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

How could anyone not like Election? Gabe, have you been to the doctor recently? I think your soul/humanity may be malfunctioning.

No one ever mentions Citizen Ruth but I think that movie is pretty fucking hilarious. For those of you still in touch with your humanity:

Sideways
    Election
    Citizen Ruth
    About Schmidt
    The Descendants

Yeah I'm actually quite shocked by this. I mean I've never watched The Descendents, but most of my friends liked it. I loved Sideways back in 2003-04(I haven't seen it since). My favorite is still Election though.
    Last edited by Sushov23; 09-17-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Laura Dern is so fucking good at playing white trash.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

holy shit, I totally forgot that I've seen Citizen Ruth. Yes, that movie is fantastic. And yes to SD's comment as well - see Wild at Heart for further proof.
    last.fm

I watched About Schmidt for the first time probably a year and a half ago, and absolutely loved it. My favorite Payne film to date.
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Payne is one of my favorite working directors - his movies balance humor (the dark kind, often) and drama well. He hasn't made anything I've disliked, although Citizen Ruth made me uncomfortable at times.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Laura Dern is so fucking good at playing white trash.
    Do you remember her first big film Smooth Talk? About a young girl in a small town that's the prey of some leacherous older dude that wants to nail her. My dad took me to see this movie to somehow warn me about the dangers of men and what could happen if I wasn't careful.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    How could anyone not like Election? Gabe, have you been to the doctor recently? I think your soul/humanity may be malfunctioning.
    Election was great. Reese Witherspoon perfected her character. The girl that played Chris Klein's sister was hilarious too.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Election was great. Reese Witherspoon perfected her character. The girl that played Chris Klein's sister was hilarious too.
    It’s fine. That’s the level of passion that Election warrants. It's a movie. It doesn’t solve all my problems, but it doesn’t make me angry. It doesn’t smell bad, it's on the TV screen.... It’s not coated with AIDS, and it’s not a portal to a nether place. It doesn’t make me cum, but it’s fine.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Itís fine. Thatís the level of passion that Election warrants. It's a movie. It doesnít solve all my problems, but it doesnít make me angry. It doesnít smell bad, it's on the TV screen.... Itís not coated with AIDS, and itís not a portal to a nether place. It doesnít make me cum, but itís fine.
    You may want to check to see if you have a pulse. In your dying, vapid soul.

Last night I noticed I had 15 movies from my Netflix Instant queue that expire at the end of this month, much more than usual. Just a fyi for anyone that maybe needs a little push to watch a few of those movies that have just been sitting there (assuming others might have a similar situation).
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare