Page 988 of 1027 FirstFirst ... 983984985986987988989990991992993 ... LastLast
Results 29,611 to 29,640 of 30805

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanp View Post
    Has anyone seen Fruitvale Station Ive heard nothing but rave reviews but I cant find it anywhere. I definitely wanna check it out. Any comments or thoughts from those who have seen it?
    This sounds interesting. Where do you live? It's playing all over the place in L.A.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Cate's performance is worth the ticket alone. One of the best of any Allen film. Suprisingly, Andrew Dice Clay comes up with pretty great one, as well.
    This is true. The whole cast is great - Sally Hawkins is terrific, Louis CK and Alec Baldwin operating firmly within their wheelhouses, and it's nice to see Alden Ehrenreich getting some work as well. But Cate is the show. The ending is perfect.

Ain't Them Bodies Saints is also one of the year's best movies. Ignore the lazy comparisons to Malick - it's more of a dark folk murder-romance ballad that just happens to feature a lot of magic hour. The performances (Rooney Mara in particular), cinematography, editing, music - all fantastic. I don't know if there's a lot of meat on the bone, but it's exquisitely crafted. This ending is also just about perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    This is true. The whole cast is great - Sally Hawkins is terrific, Louis CK and Alec Baldwin operating firmly within their wheelhouses, and it's nice to see Alden Ehrenreich getting some work as well. But Cate is the show. The ending is perfect.
    Saw it this afternoon. Fantastic. I love how unpredictable Allen continues to be...his last two films were good, but not great (although I prefer Paris to Rome by a good bit), so this was a pleasant surprise. I'll be furious if Cate Blanchett doesn't win an Oscar for this, absolutely one of the best female lead performances I can recall in recent years.
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I really hope that Cranston as Lex Luthor thing happens, but it still hasn't been confirmed by DC. It wouldn't surprise me if they were testing the waters with the rumor before making it official. So far the news has only been broken by a few smaller comic sites. Not sure why RS took that as confirmation. (apart from them being terrible these days).

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

I cannot wait to see that. ^
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Saw it this afternoon. Fantastic. I love how unpredictable Allen continues to be...his last two films were good, but not great (although I prefer Paris to Rome by a good bit), so this was a pleasant surprise. I'll be furious if Cate Blanchett doesn't win an Oscar for this, absolutely one of the best female lead performances I can recall in recent years.
    Cate has to win. I was floored by her performance. And I loved the little details like her wearing the same two or three classy outfits in every scene.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Ain't Them Bodies Saints is also one of the year's best movies. Ignore the lazy comparisons to Malick - it's more of a dark folk murder-romance ballad that just happens to feature a lot of magic hour. The performances (Rooney Mara in particular), cinematography, editing, music - all fantastic. I don't know if there's a lot of meat on the bone, but it's exquisitely crafted. This ending is also just about perfect.
    hell yeah

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

I watched Brian's Song last night. Figured it's about to be football season might as well watch a football movie. Holy hell I did not expect that to be such a big tearjerker of a movie. It was crazy that while you are feeling sad it makes you laugh at the same time. But yeah a must watch for any sports/football fans or just anyone a fan of a good story that was true. Again it is sad but it's a really good movie. I would stick with the James Caan one from the 70's not the Disney remake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Are you guys watching Tim Heidecker's On Cinema At The Cinema because yes
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

So I saw Kick-Ass 2 this weekend. So I had a feeling from the trailer that it wasn't going to be anything special and it really wasn't. I just happened to like the first one so I figured why not. Plenty of action and killing in it but other then that not much to it. There wasn't really any good story development and a lot of stuff just didn't make any real sense to me. I mean it's easy enough to follow but a lot of time I just asking myself "why, that doesn't make any sense." Only a couple of the humor scenes actually generated a laugh from me, everything else was pretty predictable as far as the jokes go. Supposedly they have plans to make a third and the ending/post credit scenes set it up, but looking at the box office number didn't look like it did to well so I guess we shall see on that one. Overall it's worth waiting for it to go on netflix or just stream online. It's one that can be passed on to see in theaters.

Finally saw Life of Pi. Not generally a fan of films in which CGI plays such a big role, but that tiger was a really magnificent creation. Too bad the kid playing Pi didn't have the skill or charisma to captivate for nearly 2 hours. While many of the scenes in the ocean and the deserted island were visually lovely, the whole thing fell a bit flat when characters spoke. It's probably tricky to tell this kind of story without narration, but there were too many "wise brown man shows Westerner the meaning of life" lectures for my taste.

Films I saw in August

50/50 - Jonathan Levine - 85
    Sucker Punch - Zack Snider - 72
    Repo Man - Alex Cox - 88
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Peter R. Hunt - 71
    Badlands - Terrence Malick - 96
    Clear History - Greg Mottola - 85
    Arabian Nights - Pier Paolo Pasolini - 86
    Argo - Ben Affleck - 100

Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

The Motion Picture Academy is screening Satyajit Ray's 'Apu' trilogy today and Monday. Wish I could go, but I won't make it there in time. More details here (and below).

New prints of films preserved by the Academy Film Archive

With special guests actress Sharmila Tagore (“Apur Sansar”) and Dilip Basu, founding director of the Satyajit Ray Film and Study Center Collection at the University of California, Santa Cruz

With a special introduction by Satya Bhabha on September 6

Friday, September 6 at 7 p.m. Double Feature
    PATHER PANCHALI (SONG OF THE LITTLE ROAD)
    A poetic and intense portrait of an impoverished Brahmin family living in rural Bengal, the film focuses on their young son Apu as he apprehends the beauty and cruelty of the world around him. 1955. 115 minutes.

APARAJITO (THE UNVANQUISHED)
    “Aparajito” continues the story of the Bengali family after they have left for the holy city of Benares on the banks of the Ganges. Throughout the film, Apu gains more life experience. He trains for the priesthood – the traditional family vocation – but in the end, leaves his mother to study in Calcutta, where he finds a new life in “modern India.” 1956. 113 minutes.

Monday, September 9 at 7:30 p.m.
    APUR SANSAR (THE WORLD OF APU)
    The concluding part of the trilogy deals with Apu’s manhood. Ultimately a love story, the film describes Apu’s serendipitous marriage, the birth of his son, the tragic disillusionment he faces and his eventual regeneration through the love of his son. 1959. 106 minutes.

That Robocop reboot trailer really makes that movie look like utter garbage. It hurts my soul and makes my eyes bleed.

Also, the future Detroit looks really clean. Is Robocop fighting crime in Detroit or in an IKEA?
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Yes, it looks fucking horrible.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Speaking of reboots and bad trailers, 'Carrie' doesn't look too good either. That actress who plays Carrie just looks too normal.

But Julianne Moore is in it, so I don't know, it could be good.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I watched a Japanese horror film the other night called Uzumaki (spiral). Its about a small town in Japan that becomes possessed by a swirl spirit/monster/whatever. It sounds stupid, but it is really creepy and I couldn't stop watching. People start dying off in weird ways that resemble a spiral, e.g. a kid gets hit by a car and is wrapped up in the axel. Good wholesome family fun, check it out. And, like most Japanese horror flicks, if anyone can explain the ending to me I would appreciate it, thanks.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244870/
    09,10,12w1,13w1

While watching the Robocop trailer, did anyone else laugh out loud when his car blew up?

Pacific Rim was at the 3 dollar theater near my house so I went to go see it this afternoon. Oh man that could have been a great movie but it just fell flat. There really wasn't any much story development and I thought they could have done a better job with the ending. Pretty cool special effects and action scenes so it was worth watching on the big screen alone for that. However I just felt like they had a million dollar idea and only produced a five hundred thousand one.

Quote Originally Posted by clumsy342 View Post
    While watching the Robocop trailer, did anyone else laugh out loud when his car blew up?
    No, but I did cry blood during the whole thing... does that count for something?
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionComics View Post
    And, like most Japanese horror flicks, if anyone can explain the ending to me I would appreciate it, thanks.
    hahaha
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Pacific Rim was at the 3 dollar theater near my house so I went to go see it this afternoon. Oh man that could have been a great movie but it just fell flat. There really wasn't any much story development and I thought they could have done a better job with the ending. Pretty cool special effects and action scenes so it was worth watching on the big screen alone for that. However I just felt like they had a million dollar idea and only produced a five hundred thousand one.
    It was a modern day ID4 in my opinion, without the superstar power of Will Smith. Dumb jokes, goofy characters, but cool scenes... and more clapping and hooting when I saw it (with a full crowd) than anything I've seen since Avengers opening weekend.

I definitely thought it would be better than a cheesy disaster movie, but it most definitely was not.

Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

The shot secretly at Disney World feature Escape from Tomorrow just got its first trailer:

^Looks pretty cool

Upcoming shows
    Events

Upcoming shows
    Events